Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My experiences with IA 5.0
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal
Pages: 1, 2
Ryel ril Ers
When Shadan started to play with IA 4.2, he opened a topic for write his experiences. I want to continue this with the v 5.0. So everybody who want to share his/her experiences could write it in this place and don't opened hundreds of topics wich tells somebody walkthrough. I want to gather lots of information in one place. (Sikret's walkthrough is too good so i don't want write to that place), and the starter player see which tactics, parties and quest orders works, and how use his/her money.

I ask everybody who write in this topic:
-Use spoilers tag for the tactics
-Don't write down serious spoilers
-Don't write down statistics (like xy has 69% fire resist) and immunities. (except the weapon enchantment and spell level immunities)
Ryel ril Ers
ARCHIVE: My saves are missing, because my winchester thought that he die a month ago. sad.gif

So, I started the IA v5 yesturday. Because I want to play the game only the tactical challange, i started a multiplayer party.

1) PC Human Vagrant
18/93; 18; 19; 11; 18; 12 (I was very lucky smile.gif )
Long sword ++; Flail + ; Axe +; 2 weapon style +++

This guy is awsome. Someday he will be indestructable (unless somebody breached his hardiness). The poison immunity and the elemental resistant is very, very useful, like the bonus hp from the constitution. The disadvantages are nothing. I feel this class is overpowered a bit.

Sikret i suggest for disadvantage the following two:
-Cannot use helmet (they travel a lot, the helmet is unconfortable)
- 20% Vulnerability to magic damage (every hero has a weak point)

I know you like this kit very much, but with this weaknesses it will be more balanced.

2) Half-orc Kensai
19; 18; 19; 11; 8; 6 (the first roll)
Haldberd ++; 2H sword ++; 2H weapon style ++

I though a lot about this character. First i want a kensai mage, but i want a very powerful offensive fighter, and i don't want two dual so i choose the pure class.

3) Human Berserker
18/82; 6; 18; 6; 18; 18 (this one was the most difficult)
Spear +++++; 2H weapon style +

She will be druid, because i want two healer, and a good conjurer (I always argue wint Trufa on the bardur's forum of www.rpg.hu that the druid or the cleric is the better healer or the arcane fighters or the kensai druids is the better tanks, so i think i try a rare combination). The druid is easier dual becaus the level 9 fighter must have 250k xp but the level 10 druid only have 150k xp so she regain back his fighter skills before the kesai level up to 10. smile.gif

SPOILER!
If you don't level up this character until she gain his 150k xp, you can put all the two profiency point like a fighter, so after the level up i have 3 point on the quarterstaff and one on the sling smile.gif It is difficult a bit but don't impossible.

4)Half-elf Blade
10; 18; 16; 16; 17; 9
Katana +; Scimitar +; 2 weapon style ++

He must be the cannon fodder who rush into battlefield and nothing hurt it until somebody destroy his protections. (Mirror image + Stoneskin + PfMW + Improved invisible + SI:Divination was a very effective protection in my v4.2 game) Everybody knows that the blades sucks in the early game, but after the new level up sytem they are very weak. They have weak thac0 (I think i choose wrong weapon profs), poor hp, and poor spell slots.
I hope sometimes he will be a superhero. sad.gif
But his steal and lore skill is very comfortable. smile.gif

5)Gnome Thief/Cleric
15; 18; 16; 11; 17; 5
unimportant

I want two healer and a thief. First, i though to a swashbucker->cleric but the classical dual after 10 level is very slow because he must have 725k xp to regain his abilities, so i choose the multi class and the gnome race because the good saving throw bonuses.

6)Human Sorcerer
10; 18; 16; 18; 18; 9
unimportant
Spells:
level 1: Magic missile; Identify; Minor drain; Shield; Spook
level 2: Acid arrow; Mirror image; Resist fear
level 3: Haste; Skull trap

First i want a wild mage PC but i want to try the ranger stronghold. Next time i start a wild mage, but now i choosed a sorcerer.

I know there are weaknesses my party:
-Late greater restoration, and not too much free action spell.
-Small arcane spell selection

so i think i change my blade with a kensai(9)->mage with grandmastery in quarterstaff or i collect lots of scroll for him.

PART1:

So the game is started:
I don't use Dungeon-Be-Gone because:

I wanted to try my party, and...

SPOILER!
there is a container in the corner of the mephit portal's room where always generated a high level scroll (unfortunetly i dont like the Incendiary Cloud so i sell it for 800 gold later)

After the first dungeon i go directly to the tent, and after it i sell my goods and go to the temple to raise my reputation to 14 and after i speak with the guard i had 15 reputation and my berserker have 18 charisma smile.gif

I bought some weapon from Ribald (spear +2 and flail +2) and after i found an interesting bug so i regain some of my money and a ring of charm animal (if you are interested i wrote it on the original game bugs topics) so i buy some scroll for my blade, but that bullshit failed it all. No problem that was free money.

After a sleep i got to the graveyard where i loot all of the grave and killed the crypt king (get the Namarra and i found a spell trigger scroll smile.gif ).
I surprised because i ambushed some nasty monsters.

SPOILER!
Two killer and one ghost spider spawned in front of Paina's lair. Fortunatly, the last battle i use haste and my blade has stoneskin so, after the surprise i run back because the web and my blade cast mirror image and wait the border of the web.
Behind my blade, the fighters prepared against the spiders, my vagrant cast call upon holy might from ability, my berserker go into rage, and my kensai step back because he wait a barskin from the gnome.
The first spider is attack my blade who go to defensive spin. My berserker use the bard as a shield and attack the spider. My sorcerer start cast emotion and i pray. Fortunatly two spider attack the blade and one the vagrant who immune to poison, and have cure poison ability. My kensai helped him.
The first emotion is sucks all of the spider make the save, but the dice is with me and my blade is alive so cast another mirror image.
One of the spider attack my berserker, and poison she, my pc is injured but okey.
The second emotion was a lucky one two of the spiders fail their save so only one can attack so everybody attack that except the berserker who drink a potion. A kai and a critical hit solve the problem so i cure the potion and finish the helpless spiders.

After that incident i ran away from that place. I go back the copper coronet and avange the killed boy and bring back his teddie bear, after i go to sleep. After a sleep i think i leave the city but some bandits ambush me.

SPOILER!

The blade cast mirror image, and stay in the crowd, my casters run away two direction, my fighters attack the cleric, and my vagrant try the silence ability of his new blade, but its only effect the blade and the fighters.
My casters in safe distance start to cast hold person and emotion, but the enemy casters is start a spell too. The result is all enemy except the mage and the thief is hopeless or held, but my fighters too only the blade throw the save, and my orc attack the thief under confuse. My blade go into offensive spin and attack the wizard, the sorcerer started throw skull traps and hope we have more health and better save. My thief is go near the mage to detect his illusion.The enemy wizard trying eleminate my blade who drinking healing potion and try to destroy her physical defense with brute force.
My sorcerer kill some enemy but seriusly wounded my vagrant, so he stopped it and i risk a dispel what is bring back my vagrant luckily, who after drink a potion kill every living enemy.

The second battle was terrible, i was very lucky to none of my character died. at that time my pc was only level 8. After this battle i go back to copper coronet and rest a day to heal.

The next few days was very boring. I do the following quests:
-Skinner murder
-Buried alive
-Pay for Galean Bayle
-Harper quest
-Mea'Var
-The first shadow thief quest

At that point my party is
Vagrant 9
Blade 11
Kensai 9
B->Druid 9/10
T/C 9/10
Sorc 10

I see the companionship, and that nasty troll.
So i decide to free the gladiators.

SPOILER!

First battle: Copper Coronet Guards
That was simple i rush to the room and when the wizards appear, my blade attack the center guard, my vagrant and my druid attack the upper guard and my kensai go directly to the down mage, and my sorcerer breached him, so he died in one turn. The next turn was the upper mage dead but my blade and my druid is confused. The battle overed the third round but my druid attack my blade so i try a dispel, what works only on the druid so i can keep on the buffs the bard.

Second battle: The beastmaster
I love this battle.
Before the battle i charm the winter wolf, the panther and the grizzly with my ranger, and i summon a nymph for cannon folder, and i hasted everyone.
The bottle was very easy. First turn i cast silence, chant, greater malison, and everyone else attack tabitha, except the blade who use magic missile because the place was too narrow (thanks to the god my fighters have long weapons).
The beastmaster failed his save so he is silenced.
In the second round tabitha knock up the grizzly and go in one of the room, so everybody follow him except the animals and the nymph, and the sorcerer, who cast emotion again.
The third round every enemy lay except tabitha soo i started bomb it with magic missiles. Two round later everye enemy is died. smile.gif

After my gnome loot the evil innkeeper's body, the new owner ask me to free the other slaves, so i go to the sewers. My sorcerer done the dirty job with the shield+invisible+skull trap combo so nobody hurted in my party. My fighters kill all the jellies, and i collect the signs, so i want to explore the mistery of sewers.

SPOILER!

I go to the pipes and after i put the hand to one some very nasty rats rush me. My vagrant who don't fear the disease and the poison keep the front everyone else run away, i can't hurt these beasties so my sorc cast greater malison and after that a emotion. Every rat layed hopeless so my fighters can slay them.
I see this is sa dangerous place so my druid summoned 2 nymh and they call some dog guardians. I put the lover's ring to the first pipe, and an confused wraith appaered, i try to talk with it, but it was useless, so i try everything to beat it. Every warriors buff themselves with kai, rage, offensive spin and draw upon holy might. My vagrant was deadly hurted so he surrander to heal, the others finish that moster. Every character is alive. The blood of a friend is missing so i explore the area, and i find a madman and a big worm.
After i talk with the madman, i attack his monstrous "friend". My druid strike it with her spear +2 but that weapon isn't enough, it doesn't hurt the monster. After my magic missiles was useless too and the beast paralize one of my nymph follower, i run away. I go back the inn, and i talk with Joluv, he has some nice high enchanted magic weapons from north so i buy a spear to my druid avange her comrade. I go back to the sewers the other nymph say goodby and unsommoned, so i buff my druidess and my vagrant to kill that unnatural thing. They put on many protection ring and cloth and my sorc cast spirit armor on they, they rush the beast and my thief follow them. My druidess go to rage, and my thief heal them with some searious and minor heal. I can hurt it to badly injured when my druid reach the drawback so she step back and drink healing potion. I have luck so every save is made and the beast is dead. My druid and ranger heal themselves and my party return to pipes in a bad mood. The next pipe also contains some nastier rats, but i can cast one more emotion what is made two rats hopeless. All of my fighters use their last buff and my sorc throw all of his magic missile, and my thief is cast his last healing spells but they deafeat the beasties. Everybody except my vagrant and my kensai leave the room because we prepare the surrunder. Thank for the gods the last pipe only contains a dancing sword, and my kensai take it, and with it he deafeated the mushroom king and two of his comrades.

After i take the mad sword what is my third +3 weapon i go back the inn and i rest a day to heal.

My party is:
Vagrant 9 Namarra+Club+3 or medium shield +1 (he put one more point to club)
Kensai 10 Lilalcor+3 (he put the third point to haldberd)
B->Druid 9/10 Spear of Kuldahar +3
T/C 11/9
Sorcerer 11
He discovered some usefull spell (vocalize, invisible; dispel, slow; greater malison, spirit armor; breach)

PART2

I try to done the second shadow thief quest but my vagrant murdered all the three times.

SPOILER!

First time i level drained from the vampire, so i decide to my druid with the amulet of power guard the entrance.
Second time my kensai is stunned, so my thief cast a free action on my pc, but it is too late and my pc murdered again. My druid was great and she slay the vamp.
Third time i prebuff but that not enough, because the free action my fighter attack too slowly, only my blade was fantastic with his minute meteor, he can do ~45 damage per round. But the contract attacked too fast so when he is on injured my two fighter was badly injured so i must step back an he regenerating back his life and killed first my kensai after the druid in one round and the next round he slay my vagrant with a critical hit (i decide not use helmets sad.gif )

I see Ribalds stuffs and the Dak'kon blade is very beatiful choice because it meant my blade could have one more magic missile + mirror image + minute meteor + stoneskin, but the 27k gold is very spicy, i only have 13k after i buy the spear of kuldahar. I need more reputation and gold so next time i think to go umar hills and trademeet. I have three +3 weapon (one slashing one piercing and one crushing) in my party and my kensai have thac0 1 and my druid thac0 3 and my vagrant thac0 7 and they have ~110 Hp so i can hurt a lot of type enemy. I think to try the rakhasha's too.

PART3

I travel to Umar hills to save the village. After i speak with the major i head north to see that ogres. They are innocent so i go to the cabin, and i read Marvella's journal. I speak with the major and i go rest because it is too late and my charaters are tired. In morning i talk some villagers and i find a cowled wizard who ask me some mimic blood to raise his stupid golem. I go to a walk and i find a lair, after i check it i have a mimic blood so i return to wizard and i get my reward. We must kill his golem because he started raging.
The major talked with Mandulf so the village is safe a bit.
I head my party south, to the city, Trademeet. After i speak with my current boss i travel to the druid grove. My party easily kill the trolls, spiders and shadow druids at the way. I challenged Faldorn with my berserker druid.

SPOILER!
First round:
Faldorn start cast something so i grab the staff and hit she twice, and i cast ironskin. Faldorn attack me. She is injured and i am okey.
Second round:
Faldorn cast an iron skin, and i summon a fire elemental.
Third round:
Faldorn cast something but my elemental's fire hit she so casting failure and i cast my last needed spell a nymh.
Fourth round:
I summon two bear but my nymph finish herr first spell a hold person what paralizes faldorn and one bear.
5-7 round
We hit down faldorn defense and killed her.

PART4:

After the druid duel, i go back trademeet. The major was very happy because i solve druid conflict. He give me another job to solve the djinni embargo. After the djinnies tell me there are a rakhasha in the town i think she hide near the fearsome druid grove, so i come back to the old hag, and i hope she know something. When i arrive she change back her shape and she attacked me with her two son.

SPOILER!

Their ice rain don't hurt very much but i run into the corner with my weak characters and my druid counter the cloudkill spell. They die easily after i rush they with my hight enchanted wepons. (i use mirror image with my pc and with my blade, behind them my druid and my kensai attack with their two handed weapons).

After that glorious fight i am Slade the hero of Trademeet. I earn lot of money and my reputation is increased. After the skin dancer quest my reputation is 18. I see the stuff of the merchant but i not need any item from them (i like the blackblood but i have already +3 blunt weapon, i like the robe of good archmage but i guard him so i don't buy anything).

I go back athakala and i done the fallen paladin. My reputation is 19. smile.gif

SPOILER!
This is an easy fight. If you don't pay to the cowled ones you can't cast any arcane spell, but you don't need any. I summon some nymph and skellie and a berserker warrior and when anarg start the fight my cleric and the nymphs cast hold person on the paladins and my blade rush anarg and in melee range he cast defensive skin (he has stoneskin also). After my fighters buff themselves they also rush anarg. All of the fallen paladins held except one so i concentrate anarg and my summons on the paladin. My blade defense was enough so anarg attack my PC so i cast a mirror image with ilbratha. When he is on injured he attacked my kensai, but i don't care, so i hit him with all of my character when he was on badly injured my kensai get a critical hit so my druid start a heal spell and finished it before anarg can kill my half-orc, i can slay anarg before the hold spell runs out so i slay them all.

I decide to free the slavers, but we was tired because the long travel so i rest a 8 hour and i memorise some spell. (i rarely variate my spell list i always use same spell and i have some spell for special things (2 death ward, 2 free action, zone of fresh air, 2 chaotic command etc.))
I think the guard are near the sewers entrance because the dangerous creatures, so i use the main door. Before that i cast a sanctuary with my thief.

SPOILER!

First battle: the first mage
After i kill the first to guardm an assasin tried to backstab my pc so and i see a wizard who come to welcame our group. So my druid and my thief cast chaotic command on my kensai and my PC and the druid go into rage, and my thief cast another sanctuary and detect illusions because the assasins. After i see the fireshield my vagrant and my druid cast level 2 prot from fire on my kensai and on my blade. After that my druid cast another one on my pc. After my sorc cast a haste in the beginnig he hide because the enemy have SI:Abjuration, and he doesn't have chaotic command. My blade use minor metero what crush his spell turning in lighting speed (every missile count as a level 3 spell) and after the stonskin. The mage cannot hurt us because we have good protections or saves.
Second battle: the second mage
the second mage was pity because he doesn't have spell protections so my sorc cast a acid arrow and after my fighters finish him
Third battle: golem
This is easily too because my blade go with minor meteors and my fighters kill him easily.
Fourth battle: the priest.
The stairs are very narrow and they have many archer so i decide to kill then one after one and i fight like the spartan. So i summon some ally who go against the enemy and surrander. The enemies attacked one by one so i slay them, the priest also slayed easily after i cast breach.
Last battle: Captain Haegan
He is very touhgty so that was a very hard battle. He has too good saves and he regenerate very fast, and if this is not enough he has lots of healing portion.
My blade was the tank so he rushed him with stoneskin, mirror image and spirit armor, and when the captain switch to melee he cast defensive spin. I summons also attacked him, and my buffed fighters too. After he see that he cannot hurt my blad he killed my summons and after that he attacked my pc. I see my melee capacity not enough so i started him bomb with magic missiles (my sorc and my blade), and i cast a holy smite and flamestrike too (with my thief). Several time when he on badly injured he drink a potion, but we hurt him faster speed than he can heal. He hurt my pc and when he was on injured i cast heal (when i finish the spell my pc had 16 hp smile.gif ), i run out my spell so when he was badly injured i cast a vampiric touch with my blade (from scroll) and the ruffian died (he drop a star garnet but i don't need it so i sell).

After i free all of the slaves and i sell all of items, i have 20 reputation and lots of gold, so i bought the dak'kon blade (18k) and a halberd +2 (only 1k after i sell two halberd +1). I go to the watcher's keep but after a fanatic spirit attacked me i run away. After i sell some loot, i have 45k gold.

My party is:name level favorite opponent killXP(chapter) killXP(game)
Vagrant 10 Greater Crawler 25% 29%
B->Druid 9/11 Beastmaster 19% 25%
Kensai 10 Shadow lover 39% 30%
Blade 12 Dalok (who is that) 6% 6%
Sorc 11 Meavar 7% 8%
T/C 11/9 Sword spider 0% 0%

My first 3 character are real slayer all of them has good thaco (Vagrant 5/7 Kensai 1 B->D 3) and several attack/round (3, 2.5, 3) They all have ~120 hp.
My blade is also good with strength spell or minute meteor, and his magic missiles was life saver in several cases.
My sorc is awesome, i like the haste spell in battle that means 4 bonus attack/round and after several battle we go home fast. (we all have at least 166 con so we will tired only the third haste).
The T/C the buffer. In battle he use his detect illusion and several time the holy smite is very good, he also can summon skeletons, and the hold person is works in the beginning. His fighting potential is zero but he is a support character and he is good.

PART5:
We go to Windspear Hills because we need lots of xp and gold. After i kill the paladins, i do the nymph quest, and after i head to the entrance of the lair. The hobgoblins died by my sorc's skull traps, the first level was easy so i rest a bit near the lake. The second level was more difficult.

SPOILER!
Golems:
I attacked by one coin, one clay, one stone and one bone golem. My blade was the tank against the coin golem, because that think attacked first. With the defensive spin, spirit armor, and some protection rings and cloak my blade has -24 AC, and with stoneskin and mirror image, he never hurted. I tried several wepons and in the end the end my druid and my blade killed the coin golem (spear, minute meteor), my vagrant and my kensai done the job with the other golems. I was lucky because my sorc don't panicked by the bone golem so he can cast resist fear. The second group in the end of the level was easier because i cast remove fear before the battle and i know who attack wich enemy.

Vampires:
my blade have the power amulet and he cast a fireball from scroll, so he only get two hit what absobed by my protections.

Werewolfes:
I slay them with bruteforce tactics.

Tazok:
he was very though, i cannot kill him with 8 try, because he hit very hard and i think he has magic blocking potion because after i lower his resistence and cast malison and doom on him he roll all of his saves against 5 emotion, 2 hold person and 6 spook.
That was the first try. The bad news is the potion halved all of the spell damage and he roll the saves so some of my spells only hurt him on 25%.
4 times i try tank him with my bard, but i always done mistake and i run out from portections because when the def spin runs out he hit down all of my protections. After that i try tank with my buffed kensai or vagrant but he always hurt me faster than i can heal my tank with two healer and potions so he killed me easily.
Because i was very close to the level 12 with my sorcerer i try some rest and i have luck because almost every time i attacked by monsters: skeleton warriors (4k xp random treasure, i get a summon fiend and a mislead scroll, and a laeral tears necklace) shadow fiends(4x2k xp) or crimson death(9k) xp.
I also slay the warewolfs outside so i leveled up to 12 level. I choose the improved haste so after i tanked Tazok i hurt him faster than he drinked his potions and he regenerating. After i lower his resists my sorcerer casted magic missiles, and my bard used some vampiric touch in that rounds when he don't need recast his portections.

I go down the level 3 and before conster's teleport i can steal his key, so i cast a haste and my vagrant saved the girl and my summons (nymph, skeletons, berserker warrior) distracts conster and we run out from the dungeon.

We have lots of gold (~70k) now and i get some very good item like the helm of defense and the dragon helmet.

PART6

First i give up the helmet restriction with my vagrant because the criticals was very dangerous with my PC so i use the helm of balduran with him.

Finally we are strong enough to kill the guild contract.

SPOILER!

Guild contract:
With improved haste this battle is easy. My blade attack 10 with minute meteor and if all of them hit it cause 85 damage avarage, or i choose offensive spin instead and i do 60 damage with 6 attack. He has bad thaco with it (9) but his potencial is increased a lot. With improved haste i can buff all of my fighters so i do it and we had 26 attack per round and 4 had max damage because the kai. So i summoned some guard to the entrance and i killed the traitors (my kensai never was good in speech and buffing). When the contract appaered i attack it with all of my party except the thief who summon more against the vampire. He lay down very fast and the vampire aso die in one round.

I don't like the vampires they suck our blood and they use dominate, the level drain is very nasty so i need more power to do it. I remember there was a strange spider nest in the graveyard so i think i search it.

We prepared the battle, so before the nest i cast spirit armor on every fighter (we need good AC and/or save) my casters get free action and my fighters buffed up with improved haste, i also cast prot from evil 10 radius because i hope the spider web is evil source of magic and the spiders are evils. My druid go to rage.

SPOILER!

Pai'Na:
When we arrived the humans in the nest explosed and lots of spiders attack me as i think, so my sorc casted malison to the center my blade and my thief waited my druid cast a defensive harmony, and my vagrand and my kensai rushed the drow directly, in the second secundum my blade started slow (because the malison 3 sec with the amulet of power and the slow is 3 sec), when the malison activated my thief casted greater command. In the 5th secundum all of the spiders are slowed or lay on the floor included the spirit and the killer spiders. The second round fighters catched by the net except the blade who casted minor meteor, my sorc in that time breached the drow's protection so i go her down injured. The third round my druid flee from the net so she heal my injured vagrant with one of her heal spell. At the end of the round Pai'Na and my vagrant was badly injured but my vagrant get heal in time. In that time my casters needed defend themselfes because a killer spider attack them but the sanctuary and the invisible protect them.
In the 4th round i was lucky because all of my fighters done their save so they slay the drow and attacked the slowed spiders. When one of my character paralized i cast cure paralize with my thief, so that was good battle and after one heal spell on my vagrant we are unhurted all.

My thief get a spider figurine so he has one more item what he can use in battle and the egg is very good too but i don't decide which character will use it. My blade need better thaco and the +6 hp also good, but my kensai get +12 hp from it so he has 141 with it, and he really need defensive equipment. Temporary i equip my kensai with it.

Char | Level | Kills in the game
Vagrant | 11 | 142
Kensai | 11 | 161
B->Druid | 9->12 | 169
Blade | 13 | 47
Sorc | 12 | 48
T/C | 11/10 | 7

PART7

I play a bit before i sleep so i go to the temple sewers because some nasty monsters and good treasures there.

SPOILER!

Horrid rakhasha:
After the drow spider druid i had got little amount spell selection but i didn't cast any in this battle, when i go down the sewers i summon some allies and cast haste. When he saw my party he started with Horrid Wilting. We lure the beast out his pit so i don't need fight in narrow place. We damaged him injured state when he cast his second horrid wilting. We run because only the stupid or dead people stay in the area of a very dangerous damage spell. He follow my fighters so we fight him near the entrance of the sewers. He tried the survive with absolute immunity but that wasn't enough because he cannot hurt my peoples very, but when the protection end, we slay him.

I get my reward: The Cloak of Sewers.

PART8

Lots of things happaned from the last post. After the rakshasa i though that i am enough strong to the d'arnise keep so i travel to it. After Nalia said that lots of troll and yuan-ti in the building we rested and we sneak in the keep. The trolls was easy victory because my fighters kill them easily and my sorc finished the job with an acid arrow. Near the gate i attacked by dogs but i charm them and send them to rest. We opened the gate but it was very dangerous:

SPOILER!

First gate battle: Killer spider
I had lots of experience with the spiders. Theese nasty creatures easily die if the party has good saves and good luck so when he appaered i cast buffs with may fighters and an improved haste with my sorc to my kensai. So the spider died in two round but my sorc confused.

Second gate battle: Greater Yuan-ti
After the spider died a great snakeman come to welcome me. This fight was very long and all of my spell runs out, because he was very nasty. I don't remember every part but i can only do it after the third load. My saves was good but he can enchant some of my characters every time. When i see him my blade casted SI:Abjuration and after a small retreat a minor globe of inverubality, and after he tanked the yuan-ti. My vagrant join him after a resist fire/cold and resist lighting spell, my sorc armored the orc with spirit armor and when he run in the battle he cast improved he also. After i attack him three of my fighters my druid and my thief started summon creatures to distract some attack of that monster because he can hit hardly. My sorc breached him every time but he had lots of stoneskin.As i think he had damage spells too so when my orc hurted i retreat with him and i cast resist spells on him and i healed him a bit. I have luck because i always cast the Heal spell in a good time and i can save my PC-s butt when he was near dead. After a lots of round i run out spells and he runs out stoneskin and SI so my sorc cannot do anything so he started bomb his spell turning with minor draining, and my thief with hold person. My fighters slowly hurt him and with my last two improved haste , rage and kai i could kill him.

We had a pair spell but i go to the second level of the keep and i killed all the trolls. The last monsters remain in the library so i cast all of my remaining buffs on my PC and rush to the library. The librarian easily die after i cast my last breach on him. We were badly injured so when i find a secret room i rest in it and i heals my character (i memorized lots of them). In the depth of the secret rooms i found the traitor.

SPOILER!
Glacias:
He is a good fighter but he couldn't handle my blade. He rushed him with stoneskin and mirror image and after the first round i go to defensive spin and that was enough. My sorc casted improved haste and some spirit armor on my vagrant and after a another spirit armor on my orc so we attacked him. The only difficult was when he attacked my vagrant but i save his butt with the ilbratha's mirror image. The solve of the hardiness was a breach.

I save Nalia's mother and i loot the tresury of the keep. When i saw the golems i killed them all with minute meteors and haste. The real guardians was tougter:

SPOILER!
First guardian: Keep Viper
I hate this monster because we fight with him a lot and he able to poison some time so i run out cure poison spells. I waste another two improved haste and the other Heal spell, but i can handle it.

Second guardian: Spiders
I am very prof to the handle of spiders so that was easy victory.

I get a new weaponry for my vagrant: Flail of Ages +3 and Frostreaver+3 WOW. That is so cool.

The basement was ease. I heard about the umber hulks but i cannot do the dog stew, because kill innocent animals is cruel. So my thief sneak in the room and use his helmet abilitys (Yes he has the vhailor's helm with death spell smile.gif ).

This is the end of the road but instead of rush in the trone room i hide and refreash my party before the last battle. We don't know what is in the room so i prepare against trolls, yuan-ti too, and i memorise lots of cure poison against spiders or snakes. That was the liberity of the Keep:

SPOILER!

Last battle: Tor'Gal
I buff with resists, spell protections improved haste, i try lay some trap but i failed. My plan was that my protected blade run into the trone room, say goodby and when he go out the monsters follow him. This worked. First the a gem golem appaered so my vagrant with blunt and slashing weapons attack it.
Torgal and the trolls followed my blade who run into an another room where my orc waited. Together they attacked the trolls. My druid go to the door between the two room and waited and my thief and sorc waited in the prison. The trolls killed by my kensai but Torgal hit trough my stoneskin so i retreat in the corner after cast a new. I get a small time to drink a healing potion. When he summon bears i try to charm one of it but my ring of animal don't worked in this time so we killed them. I have a luck because i roll the save against greater command. My druid casted a heal on the kensai when the storm of vegeance appaered. I prepared against yuan-ti so everybody had prot from fire, resist cold and prot from lighting. In that time the thief healed my vagrant and a nymph also. When the golem died we go to help the others. So finally my sorc appaered casted a breach and died from the storm, when i resurrect him he was one hp but he run out from the storm and cast the breach. TorGal cannot do anything against my four fighter so he choose the die.

Nalia only give me 650 gold so we go back Athakala sadly (not true we get some very cool item, and lots of money).

After a rest we started the purge of Cult of Eyeless, but this is another story.

Comment: I don't have any time in this weak so i can only follow the story next week or one more week after that.
Shadan
As Ryel asked, I will write about my party and my game also here. I was not able to resist to start the game, despite of I wanted to start only in some weeks, when I will have more time. smile.gif
I hesitated alot with my party selection. I wanted 5 man party earlier, but after reading Sikret's progression, I changed my mind to 6 man party. I wanted to use at least 3-4 custom NPC, but hesitated abit on 1-2 bioware NPC also. Since I am an attribute fun, at end I started with 6 custom made chars. Maybe in v6, I will do with Bioware NPCs again, and it seems druid protagonist. smile.gif

So my party:
Human vagrant (as usual:)):
I gave long sword **, axe, club, flail * and 2weapons *** to him. Luckily I pickpocketed an Enchanted Weapon scroll for my mage, so in dire situations I am able to give him +3 long swords and +3 maces to my cleric. I have The Root of the Problem and Flametongue now, so at lvl 9 I put 2nd * in the club. And I think I will increase his flail skill at lvl 12.

Human swashbuckler lvl 10 - fighter:
This character gave the most thinking to me. Finally I chosed staff** and 2handed weapons ** for him. At lvl 10 I changed him to fighter. Now he is lvl 8 and has halberd **** and 2handed sword **. He will be very versatile character in damage type (halberd - piercing, staff -crushing, 2handed swords - slashing). I chose him to handle locks, traps and illusions, so he has 100 % pick lock, find trap and detect illusion. I want to buy Harmonium halberd for him, if I will have money for this, since 19 Str is huge upgrade considered to pure 18.

And the four sisters:
Half-elf blade
I liked Haer'Dalis in my 4.2 run, so I chose blade again. Reasons are in this topic in my former post. I hesitated alot between Haer and custom NPC, I chose custom cause of better attribute distribution and earlier join, but I lost easy upgradable Chaos Blade and ** in short sword. I started her with scimitar, katana *, 2weapons: **, but since I haven't found any magic weapon for her, she used Melf's Minute Meteor in fights. Sadly it is bugged with offensive spin as I wrote in bug report topic, but she was very good with MMM anyway. Now I have got Rashad's Talon which is a great weapon for her. She has 18 charisma and with a Friends she has 24, which means almost best buying price.
There were no need in good tanks so early in the game as I am now, but later she will be the best tank ever. smile.gif And she did a wonderful pickpocket tour at start, and I am planning to do it again after I get back to the city.

Human ranger 7 - cleric:
I dualled her immidiately after start. She started with 2weapons ***, warhammer**, shield and sword **, flail *. As cleric, I chose mace *, sling *, club * and put 2nd point into mace at lvl 8. The main reason to chose her above Anomen (who was great in my 4.2run) is Ironskin, better attributes, and some druidic summon at start. Price was loosing the option of 5* proficiencies, Anomen’s doesn’t have any good improveable item. She will use the usual maces, hammers mostly.

Elf sorcerer:
She is the 6th member who was not in my original party conception. She has the following spells (* means she had that spell at start):
lvl 1: Armor*, Shield*, Spook*, Magic M.*, Larloch’s M. Dr.*
lvl 2: Melf’s AA*, Horror*, Mirror Image*, Vocalize
lvl 3: Flame Arrow*, Skull Trap*, Vampiric Touch, Slow (Remove Magic planned)
lvl 4: Emotion, Spider Spawn (Ray of Fragmentation and Stoneskin planned)
lvl 5: Breach (Lower Resistance, Sunfire planned)

Half-elf summoner:
I hesitated alot between Nalia and custom NPC. Nalia has a nice upgradeable ring, but a specialist mage is better at start. Decision was made since I WANT to cast that damned Wish with her. smile.gif

I am basically following Sikret’s quest order. Well, more or less and mostly only at start. I did some pick pocket tour after circus (I was lucky to get a Spell Trap Scroll, 2 Mord. Sword scroll and some others, but no manual or Perm. Scroll), then I went out to Umar and Trademeet. I encountered with Suna earlier, and she suprised me, but after reload and some spell casted before map change, I easy managed them. Fladorn was a bit hard, but when I killed her, I made 1st challenge immidiately after rest. It was funny, since I thought I am itemless again, and started my usual Faldorn tactic, after 2 rounds I realized I have weapons, so beat that druid very fast. smile.gif Rakshasa in the tower were not too big challenge. I went back to Trademeet for rewards. Now I will go back to the city, and will do some minor quests when I have time to play again. At this time I won’t follow Sikret’s order, but mostly I will do those quests what he did, just not in that order.
My only big concern are Crowled Wizards. In my 4.2 run I didn’t pay to them. I killed their members easily, but the last fight was very very hard. I was able to kill them only just before I went to Spellhold (I did all available quests in chapter 3 in that game as well as WK 1st and 2nd lvl). I was not allowed to cast arcane spells on the streets, but as far as I remember this was not so big problem in that game, not too many fights are on the street. Now maybe Anarg and his followers could cause problem. My only headache was Borinal, since it was a very hard fight with new enemies in my 4.2 run, and I was not able to cast defensive spells before his door, so I had to go to Oghma temple for casting. Now I don’t know if I should pay, or suffer a bit hindrace sometimes while I am not able to kill their lasts members.
End of my report now. smile.gif

New part
I was not able to resist playing a while yesterday. I pickpocketed a large part of the city and I've got a Helm of Glory. (If it is a cheesy, I can tell the location, Sikret.) Well I can do a paper armor from Identify and Shocking Grasp scrolls what I pickpocketed. smile.gif
I also killed Valeria and her goons. They surprised me, when I went in with badly injured chars while Iexplored the city and did the pikcpocket tour, so I had to reload. smile.gif) And did the tanner quest.
End of my report now. smile.gif
Shaitan
Nice throwing emotion on rats smile.gif

I tend to go through Irenicus' dungeon as I often find more highlevel spells ie droppings from Goblins and the random one after Yoshimo (I don't find Irenicus Dungeon able of yielding more spoilers, but I didn't mention it more specifik anyway)

Nice to read your progression.
Ryel ril Ers
Thanks Shaitan! smile.gif

I think the Spirit Armor is cool spell. The AC 2 for my Blade, Vagrant and my Kensai is must have. It's duration is very good(10 turn), and the +3 save vs spells is awsome. With this my kensai have -6 AC (The base is 2 the kensai ability makes it 0 the dexterity bonus make it -4 and i have +2 bonus from protection items on every fighter) and my vagrant easily hit the -11 with medium shield. I sometimes cast a defensive harmony (-2) or a prot from evil (-2 to evil attacks and +2 to saves vs evil casters).

My party disadvantage is the few variation of arcane spell because my blad is glad if he cast some protection himself, but i like it because i mustn't rest before the battles because i need one more emotion or breach.

I don't know what do do. Keep the blade and pray if he will be superhero later and can use lots of items or change it a kensai->mage and i have a very useful tank in the early and the late game (when he learn the timestop and can slay the paralized enemys with kai or he can cast tenser and enjoy it with his fighter attack number/turn and with his fine weapon skill) and a secondary caster who use the missing spells of sorc and i can cast two ruby/breach and some other important spell. Or i choose a berserker->mage.
If i change i don't know what weapon to choose. I go to grandmastery or learn more weapons with two stars. What do you suggest?
The blade is useful but i fear he won't be enough for a secondary caster and i have two pure class warrior in this time.
The staff seems a good choise because the elemental staffs seems to can do enough damage but the kai isn't effect on the elemental damage, or i choose one more haldberd because many of them very useful, or fight with two weapon style and with hammer+scimitar or katana or shortsword or something else.
Somebody help me!

I think the hight caster level of the bards is not as good now, because some good bard spell like the skull trap and the sunfire is limited, the only think is good the dispel and remove magic, but he has poorly saves.
k7abcd
In my opinion , kensai has extra damage per hit ,so you'd better increase your attack times per round , that means choose the two weapon style (btw, I never use kensai cause i really hate janpenese ...) .

Whether hammer or long sword in your main hand is not important , but i strongly recommoned to use two weapon style .

My solo f/m is skilled in long sword , flails , hammers , scimitar , two weapon style . Even a normal fighter should use two weapon style i think ,it really has the most damage per second .
Raven
If you changed your Blade to a Kensai with a view to dualling him/her to mage I would probably go for GM in quarterstaff rather than spreading points around too much (although a Kensai/Mage isn't able to use the very powerful Golem Slayer staff, only a single class mage can use this). I think your other characters (Vagrant, Half Orc Kensai) already have a good breadth of weapon proficiencies.

About the Vagrant kit: you're right it's more powerful than the other classes in the game, but given how hard IA is I wouldn't consider it overpowered. There will be battles where you will suffer for not having your Vagrant wear a helmet...

Also, you mention that eventually your Vagrant will be 'indestructible' unless his Hardiness is breached. However, 100% resistance to some kind of damage does not mean enemies cannot hurt you with that damage type; be aware that some IA enemies have the power to lower various resistances (even some vanilla monsters had this power, it's just more widespread in IA). I'd suggest just playing the Vagrant kit as written for now; you can always restrict yourself later.
Sikret
QUOTE(Raven @ Jan 4 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Also, you mention that eventually your Vagrant will be 'indestructible' unless his Hardiness is breached. However, 100% resistance to some kind of damage does not mean enemies cannot hurt you with that damage type; be aware that some IA enemies have the power to lower various resistances (even some vanilla monsters had this power, it's just more widespread in IA). I'd suggest just playing the Vagrant kit as written for now; you can always restrict yourself later.

Yes, moreover, there is no way to gain more than 55% permanent resistance to physical damage in the game (not even with a vagrant) and Hardiness doesn't increase resistance to other damage types. Of course, using potions of "Barbarian Essence", which are damn rare, you can temporarily increase your physical resistance to 100% for a while; but using those rare portions should be done with thought; they are best to be reserved for the mod's hardest battles.

@Ryel

This is a good topic and you set good rules for it. Keep sending your journal. As for your question about the Blade, I'm not a fan of bards at all. For me an additional cleric or even a second sorcerer can both be much better choises for your party:

In the first case, A cleric will increase your access to the most essential clerical spells. In the second case, I always consider having two sorcerers in the party as a great advantage because you will be able to spread and distribute the spell choices between them and have access to numerous different arcane spells at the same time.
Shadan
I have found Haer'Dalis very very usfull in my 4.2 run... Yes at start he was not so powerful, but after some levels and items he was. Here is why:
1. High lvl - His Remove magic was very good. Rarely used Skull trap also.
2. 8 attacks (Improved Haste, Cutthroat, Offensive Spin). OK, Cutthroat is nerfed now, but that means 6 attacks, and usually I had enough spins per days to use offensive spin in battles.
3. improved bard armor: this was very powerful item. With this HD was able cast at any time, and many spells in a row. He was able to renew his buffs within 2 secs, Remove magic when needed, launchecd 9 Magic Missile to an enemy within 2 secs (even when majority was resisted and others caused 1 damage, it was more damage to Supreme golem then a warrior with 2-3 hits)
4. Mislead + improved bard song (only ONE of course smile.gif)

He had almost same spells per day as Nalia with her ring, just max lvl was lower with 1 than at Nalia.

If you play dual mage, that won't help you at start, when blade is weak also, especially because of slower leveling in v5. Your mage will be low lvl without fighter skills at that time. So with kensai/berserker-mage dual, you won't get stronger char at early game. Imho you will get a slightly better melee damage dealer at end game, but he won't have those nice features like permanent cleansed aura, improved bard song and high level Remove magic.
If you want simple F/M multi, that is even worse with slower lvl progression.

Imho your grp is not lacking of arcane magic if you use blade, but I think I would let that Spirit Armor to my blade instead of sorcerer, and I would pick that spell what I could use it a bit later also. Spirit Armor is useless when you get a bit better equipment. I would use some scrolls when it is important and my blade run out of them or he don't have the lvl for this.

And last comment: Is Sunfire nerfed in v5? I haven't read it.
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(shadan @ Jan 4 2008, 03:27 PM) *
I have found Haer'Dalis very very usfull in my 4.2 run... Yes at start he was not so powerful, but after some levels and items he was. Here is why:
1. High lvl - His Remove magic was very good. Rarely used Skull trap also.
2. 8 attacks (Improved Haste, Cutthroat, Offensive Spin). OK, Cutthroat is nerfed now, but that means 6 attacks, and usually I had enough spins per days to use offensive spin in battles.
3. improved bard armor: this was very powerful item. With this HD was able cast at any time, and many spells in a row. He was able to renew his buffs within 2 secs, Remove magic when needed, launchecd 9 Magic Missile to an enemy within 2 secs (even when majority was resisted and others caused 1 damage, it was more damage to Supreme golem then a warrior with 2-3 hits)
4. Mislead + improved bard song (only ONE of course smile.gif)

He had almost same spells per day as Nalia with her ring, just max lvl was lower with 1 than at Nalia.

I decide not change my blade, because it is my most likely class, and i need versalitily, in weapons and items. The bard armor is seems very good also.
He has katana (i buy the dakkon blade as soon as possible) and scimitar (i don't know how dangerous the guardians of Belm for my party) profs and i know the hammer too (my main target is the hammer of thor), later i will learn bastard sword for the purifier and the foebane.

If you play dual mage, that won't help you at start, when blade is weak also, especially because of slower leveling in v5. Your mage will be low lvl without fighter skills at that time. So with kensai/berserker-mage dual, you won't get stronger char at early game. Imho you will get a slightly better melee damage dealer at end game, but he won't have those nice features like permanent cleansed aura, improved bard song and high level Remove magic.
If you want simple F/M multi, that is even worse with slower lvl progression.

Imho your grp is not lacking of arcane magic if you use blade, but I think I would let that Spirit Armor to my blade instead of sorcerer, and I would pick that spell what I could use it a bit later also. Spirit Armor is useless when you get a bit better equipment. I would use some scrolls when it is important and my blade run out of them or he don't have the lvl for this.

I have a pure class kensai and i want him good armor, but don't exists any item in the game who add permanent armor for the kensai. The shield amulet grants only AC 4 and no save, and half duration, so i choose this spell instead. In the early game it is very powerful, and later it will be good for my kensai.

And last comment: Is Sunfire nerfed in v5? I haven't read it.

Yes, it has lower damage (read the tweaks in the documents)
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(Sikret @ Jan 4 2008, 03:02 PM) *
@Ryel

This is a good topic and you set good rules for it. Keep sending your journal. As for your question about the Blade, I'm not a fan of bards at all. For me an additional cleric or even a second sorcerer can both be much better choises for your party:

In the first case, A cleric will increase your access to the most essential clerical spells. In the second case, I always consider having two sorcerers in the party as a great advantage because you will be able to spread and distribute the spell choices between them and have access to numerous different arcane spells at the same time.

Thank you Sikret!
I was very happy when i read your walkthrough so i decided to write my own. I think other players join me, and share his experiences (i hope Shadan is joining soon if he had enough time to play).
The next three weeks i have small time to play because my exams but when i have a bit time i will play a bit and write it.

What do you think about the suggested disadventages of the vagrant. I think it again and the helmet restriction is a huge disadvantages beacause nothing protect you against the critical hits.
I decide not use helmet and sometimes i sucks the criticals but i think this is ok.

I plan this will be a melee party so i choose four strong melee character and two supporter. Next time i will start a wild mage pc and i catch a sorcerer too (possible Imoen), i want to try the wildmage since long time ago and i don't want to start non-evil necromancer, so my next pc will be wild mage.

I choosed the vagrant because i want to see the ranger stronghold quests and i want to try your class, and he has the best defensive melee skills in the game.
I choosed the kensai because he has the best offensive melee skills in the game.
I choosed the berserker->druid against berserker->cleric because i never use spear before, Trufa always say the coolest class is the druid, (i try to understand it), and this is the easiest dualing.
I choosed the thief/cleric because i want a supporter character with good saves. In the late game he will able to use arcane scrolls too, and time trap with clerical spells, but i will sucks because i have greater restoration very late. (only on 3 million xp).
I choosed the blade because i want a versatile single class character who have hight level dispel.
I choosed the sorc because... everybody knows why! smile.gif

This is not the best fit party for the IA (i think that is the Vagrant / Inquisitor / Fighter-Mage / Berserker->Cleric / Swashbucker->Mage / Sorcerer or something similar), but i enjoy it very much and this is the most important thing.

Monkeetroop
i like how you talked about using HD and why he was good for you. ive heard (ok read i guess) that HD is a great npc to have in your party, but i havent been able to find out WHY. if there are other points as to why he's so great, could ppl please share that with me?
Shaitan
I think HD requires a lot of micromanagement. And some years ago he wanted to duel with me over Ariel, that bastard wink.gif I never use him anymore, I think a F/M is a lot better, and you cn get F/M NPCs so...
k7abcd
About HD , I don't like the way he speaking , and someone else told me that he ever say he is the best swordman in the realm except drizzrt! I must say the best swordman in the realm is the protagonist ......
trufa
I have a pure class kensai and i want him good armor, but don't exists any item in the game who add permanent armor for the kensai. The shield amulet grants only AC 4 and no save, and half duration, so i choose this spell instead. In the early game it is very powerful, and later it will be good for my kensai.

There is a weapon, which provides to kensai a permanent armor, the Staff of Woodlands. The original is also fine (but of course it is better the improved...,/but it is another story/) An idea: Change the Kensai to Kensai druid with 5* staff 2* 2handed style,and begin the spear, dual at 8,9 lvl, Change the Berserker druid to Berserker Cleric, you would get much earlier Greater restoration, and change the multiclass gnome into Thief Illusionist. You would get more arcane spells, especially to mid-lvl. Of course you wouldn't cast ADHW, but there will be a sorcerer, and a blade with scrolls, and there are some other useful lvl8 spells.
Ryel ril Ers
Use the bugs of the game named cheese (or light cheat) and that is also cheat, like in the 4.2 and the original game if you use a spell with simulacrum or project image you don't lose the spell. That was also cheese method. If you enjoy the game with cheese i 'm glad but i warn yout it easily broke your joy. I hope that won't happen with you (i stop some of my game because i used cheat method and i lost my happiness what born when i do a battle without cheese method or i find a good item smile.gif, summa summarum i decide never use cheese method like Sikret).
trufa
Off

And some years ago he wanted to duel with me over Ariel, that bastard wink.gif I never use him anymore, I think a F/M is a lot better, and you cn get F/M NPCs so...

Yes He did my first NPC (Halfling FT) too, and because that he was the second hatred character from beginning after Annoyman. He is know the most hatred character know, because I can use Anomen in one of my theme-party

Undead Hunter PC(mal/fem), Keldorn, Saerileth (malrom),Anomen (Femrom), Aerie, Imoen

Off
k7abcd
I agree , without the cheese you will enjoy the game most , when i keep using cheese all over the game long long ago i soon find it is so boring ...
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(trufa @ Jan 4 2008, 11:15 PM) *

There is a weapon, which provides to kensai a permanent armor, the Staff of Woodlands. The original is also fine (but of course it is better the improved...,/but it is another story/) An idea: Change the Kensai to Kensai druid with 5* staff 2* 2handed style,and begin the spear, dual at 8,9 lvl, Change the Berserker druid to Berserker Cleric, you would get much earlier Greater restoration, and change the multiclass gnome into Thief Illusionist. You would get more arcane spells, especially to mid-lvl. Of course you wouldn't cast ADHW, but there will be a sorcerer, and a blade with scrolls, and there are some other useful lvl8 spells.

Thank you trufa. Good analisis but that is not my party, that is your party, i won't enjoy the game with it.

A pure class kensai with grandmaster profiency and with two handed weapon style in whirlwind is a messanger of death.
The best two handen weapon is the haldberd so i wait the time i construct the mighty Dragon Lord or the fiercefull Poseidon's Wrath.

I love my berserker->druid because i never heard that somebody play with that class and she has some advantage against the kensai variant:
- Can use all of the armor in the game
- Can use helmet so protected against critical hits
- The rage add +2 damage and thac0 and -2 AC at level 9 dual it means 3 rage per day, the kensai at this level gain +3 damage and thac0 -2 AC and -2 speed factor. I think the immunities from the rage are more better than the +1 damage/thaco and the -2 speed.

and the only disadvanteg is the missing kai ability.

I choose my first weapon the spear because i never try it but the impaler is has huge damage, and i prefer it better than the boring staff. I also have 3 star on staff because i play on level 1 after dual, and i only level up when i reach the dual, so i can put 2 star to it. My end game target weapon is the Staff of Ram.
Now i have the spear of kuldahar, i hope i find soon the +4 staff against +3 immune monsters. If i reach the sahaugin city i will use the Impaler.

The thief/cleric not worst class than the thief/illusionist. I love Jan very much but all of the other members of the party was fixed choise and i need one more cleric and one more thief. In the original game that combination has very interesting combos like:
- Harm and slay living from hide (that means +4 attack)
- Max backstab damage from righteous magic, with club and staff.
- Can turn to fighter/thief at highter fighter level than the original with holy power (but he don't have specialized profs and only have one attack)
- Can use timetrap with clerical spells.

I think these combos are not really works in IA but i need this character, and i hope he won't be my party achilles point. I think one interesting tactics for the late game:

place some time trap befor the enemy and if the characters are very hurted, we fall back and if the enemy follow me the trap is activated and i have three round to cast 2-3 heal on the fighters, or i can backstab with my club.

I have enough arcane spell now, my only problem is i have not good tank in the front who have enough spell to keep mirror image and stoneskin, but the dak'kon blade will solve my problem.

I don't want change my party formation, because it works and i enjoy it very well.
My blade is very weak now but i solve the problem:
with the minute meteor he has very good thac0 and attack 5. In offensive spin he has one more attack and every attack make ~9 damage.
So it will be enough until i equip he with some better gear.
Sikret
QUOTE(Sikret @ Jan 4 2008, 06:32 PM) *
there is no way to gain more than 55% permanent resistance to physical damage in the game (not even with a vagrant)

The correct number is actually 45%. It can be gained by a vagrant after forging JD sword (20%), Flail of Defending and Wounding (15%), and the Red Coral Armor (10%).

Other rangers don't have access to the armor and thus the maximum possible permanent physical resistance for them is 35%. Now adding Armor of Faith (10%) and Hardiness (40%), they can reach a maximum of 85% resistance to physical damage temporarily. Vagrants can reach 95%.

So, without the rare potions of Barbarian Essence, there is no way to reach 100% resistance (even temporarily).
Ryel ril Ers
My walkthrough updated with part 3 and one more wonderful battle. See the second post. smile.gif
Sikret
Without the multiple strognhold component of EoU installed, you missed the joy of the fantastic duel between your vagrant protagonist and Faldorn. I will add the multiple strongholds to the list of recommended component of EoU in the next readme.
Ryel ril Ers
Somebody ask how to use blades. Here it is:

-Generally you want to use they as a fighter/mage:
Put on your protections (armor - mirror image - stoneskin - improved invisible - PfMW - SI:Divination) buff yourself (improved haste - tenser transformation - offensive spin) and go to the front. You will be indestructable until your SI and PfMW is on, so be carefull with the enemies dispel magic. (you have hight caster level so you have chance generally)
Their offensive spin is the best non HLA fighter ability.
- They are good support caster:
Their caster level is highter than your mages, and significant highter than the multiclass mages. There are some spell what need good caster level, the stoneskin and mirror image works better on blade, the tenser transformation make you a warrior 2-4 level above your pure class warriors. The bard's spell hurt the enemy more than the mage's. And the ultimate wepon is their dispel magic almost as good than the inquisitor's.
They have lower level spells than the mages but that are stonger.
- They are good support in non battle situation:
they have high charisma
they have incredible lore
they have 100+ pickpocket so you raraly must drink potion of master thief

But they hava many drawback:
-Low hp
-Weakness against criticals (they don't use helmets)
-In the beginning they are extremly weaks (under level 12/15)
-Worse AC (you need good bracers or spirit armor)

Ryel ril Ers
I only was concerned that he read the text of quests. smile.gif
Thank you for delete my hint. You are right that was too big spoiler.
In the future i don't write similar hints, sorry.

k7abcd:
if you pick anybody in your team anytime that not solo game. This game not only contains battles, the money also important. I you solo with f/m you miss the experience from disarm trap and open lock and you cannot pick pocket.

I think not possible play through the Anvil in solo without cheating or cheese.
I try it first time too with a sorcerer but the first killer spider was impossible.
The f/m type characters has more chance until an enemy mage crush their protections.
Sikret
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Jan 6 2008, 03:10 AM) *
I think not possible play through the Anvil in solo without cheating or cheese.

Yes, this is true and the main point here.

Those who try soloing IA, will eventually have to cheat or use very cheap methods during the game, because some of the battles are too hard even for a 40th level solo character. They will obviously deny that they have cheated, but it won't change the fact.

The mod is created to be played with a party of 5 or 6. If anyone wants to try it in an "unintended" way, he can try it for himself, but I'm not interested in reading any reports from such solo-gamers in this forum, because I'm pretty sure that they can't remain honest and truthful in what they write for long.
lroumen
Interesting read so far.

I'm busy with a 5-6 party run using a Vagrant Protagonist and when finished (or largely finished) I was wondering whether I could take the knowledge I had gathered into a solo game. See how far you can get. I would have taken a Blade as Protagonist or a Fighter/Mage/Thief. From what I've read so far, the problem with the Blade is threefold.
1. Bad items (bad combat protection)
2. No high level spells (hard to fight certain battles)
3. Bad saving throws (hard to resist emotion, confusion and hold spells unless you have the right gear)

The problem with a solo game would be to do everything in a proper order, so that the difficulty of the battles does not increase too much. You're pretty much forced to complete the simpler quests first to build levels and gain spells, not to mention good items. Additionally, you do not get the items gained through normal play and NPC quests, but you need to go on killing sprees. I forsee that going the evil path (siding with Bodhi) will be more profitable than playing the good way. You get to kill Aran which means that you will get his Elven Chainmail fairly early on and that will be good for your FMT or Bard.
Hmmm..... I'll muse on this some more before attempting to get anywhere. IA will be impossible and in my current game I haven't even cleared most of the starting dungeons yet, let alone come across the late game challenges... Soloing will be pure masochism and I can foresee only death before finishing chapter 3 (getting 15k gold isn't hard, hehehe).
lroumen
Why did you not pay the Cowled Wizards? Do they drop anything of use?

@Borinall buffing. There is an alternative option.... probably a minor option
SPOILER!
I found that you can buff in Borinall's house. He started his chat with "I told you I have nothing to sell" or something of the sort and the banter ends. Then you can buff and talk to him to confront him about the Dawn ring.

My problem was that I didn't have the gear to fight his golem well enough so I have not actually faught him succesfully yet (or is Borinall a her?)
Shadan
They didn't drop anything improtant. Most of them had nothing, some of them had a few scrolls. Maybe named ones in last fight dropped some high lvl scrolls, but I am not sure. I fought against them just for fun, intertesting fights and because my PC in 4.2 was a chaotic good gnome F/I and some puny human don't tell him where should he cast and where shouldn't. He was practicing the magic since more time than those humans. smile.gif Now I have some chaotic half-elven and and elven arcane magic users, and they can think same...
Thanks for the tip at Borinall. I am not sure if she or he is...
Ryel ril Ers
I update my walkthrough with the part 4 read the second post.

Sikret or Baronius:
Is it possible to put shadan post (#52) to the third place?
I would like to the walkthrough is on the beginning of the topics, so he can update it, and the result is a walkthrough in one post.
Baronius
Is it possible to put shadan post (#52) to the third place?

In the world of heros and dragons, everything is possible. smile.gif
Ryel ril Ers
Thank you very much, Baronius! If you see we (shadan, trufa, me) complately move here from rpg.hu with the Anvil topics. smile.gif

Shadan, if you have time, please continue your post!
Shadan
Ryel, while I have some times from my work for some forum browsing, I don't really have too much time to play. I think I can continue my game mostly on next weekend. smile.gif
Ryel ril Ers
PART5 added.

I find two cheasy method:
Tazok don't react if you cast spell when he don't see you. You can cast lots of emotion to the room with several loads and you have ~5% chance to go through his magiic resistent and his saves, after that you easily kille he and you get his potions.
Suggestion:
when you open the door Tazok attack the nearest enemy (who opened the door).

You can easily kill Conster, when you see him stop and after that you only must cast offensive spells with good range (lighting bolt, magic missile). He don't attack you.
Suggention:
put back him so when he see him you see Firkraag too, and the dialog started.

EDIT:
I have 75k gold and i don't know what to do with it:
Improved Dragon helm 40k
Long sword +3 15k
Halberd+3 15k
Vhailor's Helm ~17k
Fortress shield ~ 15k
Ring/Cloak of prot +2 30k
Upgrade the horn of valhalla ?k gold
Potions and scrolls for the harder battles

I don't know what will the next target:
Beholder sect
Waukeen party
Rakhasha in the sewers
Belm's guardian
The drow spider druid in the graveyard

we are have 10-13 level. (I only have 3 slot for free action but i can do good saves /~4-5/ for two character).
Baronius
New location of shadan's Improved Anvil journal:

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=3369

(The one in the third post of this topic won't be updated.)
lroumen
I think you can do the Beholder Sect (Unseeing Eye quest) as well as the Waukeen party in the Den of Seven Veils pub. I haven't done the other three encounters you named so I cannot judge those.

As for the gold. It really depends on what party you currently have and whether you find them all equipped well enough.
Sikret
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Jan 10 2008, 10:52 PM) *
I find two cheasy method:
Tazok don't react if you cast spell when he don't see you. You can cast lots of emotion to the room with several loads and you have ~5% chance to go through his magiic resistent and his saves, after that you easily kille he and you get his potions.

In my game, Tazok reacts properly even if attacked from offscreen. I don't know how it has happened in your game.

You can easily kill Conster, when you see him stop and after that you only must cast offensive spells with good range (lighting bolt, magic missile). He don't attack you.
Suggention:
put back him so when he see him you see Firkraag too, and the dialog started.

Yes, this cheesy exploit is indeed doable while Conster is standing near Firkraag in his lair. I just blocked it locally.
Sikret
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Jan 3 2008, 04:27 PM) *
I go down the level 3 and before conster's teleport i can steal his key, so i cast a haste and my vagrant saved the girl and my summons (nymph, skeletons, berserker warrior) distracts conster and we run out from the dungeon.

This is too cheesy. Reload the game and fight with Conster if you want his key. I will make his key unstealable for the next version of the mod.
Clown
As an addition to Iroumen's post you should also be quite capable of taking down the Pai'Na graveyard spider encounter and the sewer Rakshasa at this point. Belm might prove quite challenging but I dont know, might be possible depending if you have access to Lvl6 spells or not.

As for the money, it is limited in the game so I would only make upgrades that you see yourself using at the end of the game or those that are going to be used in later upgrades otherwise its a waste of a big chunk of gold. I try not to waste money on potions either as enough tend to be dropped or findable in the game if you use them wisely. Therefore I would probably upgrade dragon helm as it gives a significant resistance boost which is useful to end game and buy fortress sheild as it is useful on its own and you will want it to forge supreme shelter later.
Sikret
@Ryel

I just discovered Tazok's problem in your game. It's a vanilla game bug for which niether Greater Command nor Emotion were flagged as "hostile" spells. I have fixed it for "Greater Command" in v5, but Emotion's bug had escaped my notice. I just fixed it locally for the next versions. Had you tried any other hostile spell on him from offscreen, he would have shown the proper reaction, but since you cast Emotion, he didn't recognize it as a hostile action. Thanks for drawing my attention to this issue.

Also, please don't forget to reload your game to a saved game before stealing Conster's key. You have said that you wouldn't play cheesily IIRC (if you do not reload, I will sadly lose my interest in your future reports). In general, stealing any "quest related" item is a cheesy action and it's a vanilla game problem that some of those items are stealable. I have already fixed it for several other similar items in v5; and as I said, I just fixed it for this particular item locally.

Ryel ril Ers
@Sikret
I don't use cheese methods. I didn't use the offscreen emotion against Tazok (i instead fight with him and i enjoy it very much).
I didn't killed conster and i didn't loot him 5 absolute immunity and his 5 ruby ray, instead i trick him.
In roleplaying reasons i don't load it!
My blade was fast enough to rive his key off from his girldle so we prepared against him but i see he is too powerful and while my thief-cleric and my sorcerer hold up him my vagrant save the girl and take out her on his shoulder, my casters sacrifice their our life and while the new summons hold up him my fighters save them bodies, so i can ressurect they for 2400 gold, i get some xp but nothing else.
This also be very hard.

If you think this is cheese method i uninstall your mod because i think my party died against conster because they wanted save the girl so they sacrifice their lifes. I don't think this is cheese method i think this is roleplaying method. I will come back later and i fight with conster and firkraag. smile.gif

Earnestly, if you think i am cheater i finish my write or i write down this was cheater method don't use it. I cannot download because i don't have save before our flee. I only have save in the watcher keep so i must sacrifice 8 hour game if i choose this method. My time is expensive so i don't choose this way. smile.gif

The Tazok bug works with emotion, i don't try other spell. He roll his saves or the MR protect him, but he stay at the room. Maybe he is too deaf so he don't hear my sorc's voice.

It seems the random monsters in firkraag's lair are infinite so the patient players can earn infinite xp and some good random treasure i only try ~5-10 encounter because i must level up, it was very hard because all of my characters are badly injured and i must sacrifice lots of potion.

This is a role playing game.

EDIT:
As i said i don't have good save before that scenes. If you think i clua down my party xp and add it back when i can defeat conster. Is this good trade-off?
I can't try lot spell because i only have a sorcerer and a bard with small spell selection. sad.gif
Shaitan
I don't think Sikret meant to be hard on you Ryel ril Ers, but you are aware of the fact that the intention Sikret has with his mod is solely to play it without cheat/cheese? I think you are. You shouldn't start clauing - I think it would lead to more ethic issues later on wink.gif You were warned with you bard before starting I think smile.gif

Perhaps Sikret should propose one, two or three different partyline-ups as a sort of recommandations - what says you?

Happy playing

Regards
Sikret
@Ryel

If you don't have a saved game before stealing the key, then there is little you can do in this case. Continue the game, but don't ever try to steal any "quest-related" item in the future.
Shadan
Since I have a custom blade also, I try to steal ALL NPCs in the game who I can. Probably in the future version of IA, I won't use blade, and I completly forgot stealing in my 4.2 run. So I will report if I have found any suspicious item stealable.
I was able to steal a Helm of Glory from one of the temple, before I picked up the Illithium quest in another temple. After I did the quest I got a crappy +3 saves vs. Death Amulet. I don't know if stealable Helm of Glory is good or not...
I stole a Manual of Elaboration also and 2 Permanency scrolls. After I traded my experineces with Ryel, I have found there is at least 1 more stealable Permanency scroll in the city. Imho maybe 3 scrolls are too many. Anyway scrolls are useless if you are low at gold... And at end in 4.2 run I had more scrolls what I needed.
Shaitan
I don't know if it is questrelated, but the key to Gals guild in Brynnlaw can be stolen from the guard once you've entered via the courtesan... Sorry hijacking attempt ended here wink.gif
Shaitan
QUOTE(shadan @ Jan 11 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Since I have a custom blade also, I try to steal ALL NPCs in the game who I can. Probably in the future version of IA, I won't use blade, and I completly forgot stealing in my 4.2 run. So I will report if I have found any suspicious item stealable.
I was able to steal a Helm of Glory from one of the temple, before I picked up the Illithium quest in another temple. After I did the quest I got a crappy +3 saves vs. Death Amulet. I don't know if stealable Helm of Glory is good or not...
I stole a Manual of Elaboration also and 2 Permanency scrolls. After I traded my experineces with Ryel, I have found there is at least 1 more stealable Permanency scroll in the city. Imho maybe 3 scrolls are too many. Anyway scrolls are useless if you are low at gold... And at end in 4.2 run I had more scrolls what I needed.

The helm was also stealable i vanilla BG2, and it sure is a nice item from BG1.

I don't think there's too many permanency scrolls. It's dependent on the party composition I'd say.
lroumen
QUOTE(Shaitan @ Jan 11 2008, 01:11 PM) *
I don't know if it is questrelated, but the key to Gals guild in Brynnlaw can be stolen from the guard once you've entered via the courtesan... Sorry hijacking attempt ended here wink.gif
I'm 100% certain that this was possible in Vanilla too. Maybe something to change in IA to force action of the player? (Though I think a stealable key places a nice roleplaying option to the game).

I don't think there are too many pick pocketable items in the game (or IA for that matter). Not everybody does a full pickpocketing of every NPC they come across. Those that do deserve a bonus every now and then.
I remember a protection from energy scroll I once stole from an Amnish Guard in a game a long time ago. I was really happy with that. People ought to be happy when they've put quite a bit of effort into stealing stuff. Besides, you will find permanency scrolls and manuals of elaboration throughout the game anyway. Why not allow players to pickpocket people and have them find them on their own? It's the early game gold and upgrade items that are hard to come by. The scrolls are rarely the problem (unless you use them a lot on very minor upgrades).
Sikret
QUOTE(lroumen @ Jan 11 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Though I think a stealable key places a nice roleplaying option to the game.

Quest-related items should not be stealable. Many of them were stealable in the vanilla game which I have already fixed. You shouldn't gain the big amount of xp for completing an entire quest (such as the windspear Hills) just by doing a simple pocket picking. This is cheese; it's not role playing. Why not to CLUA the xp if the player looks for such easy-gaining experience points? An IA player should not even think of such methods in the first place; otherwise, why to play IA at all? Gaining the quest's xp now and then returning to actually complete the quest much later is not what I would call "role playing".

I have already made many similar items "unstealable". It's a pity that this one had escaped my attention. The bad side of having excellent tactical experts as testers of this mod was that they didn't attempt such methods themselves during the game and consequently, they did not report them to me.

@Ryel

You can at least return there to fight with Conster as soon as possible before starting any other quest. This will (to some extent, though not fully) tighten the gap between gaining the xp and completing the quest.
lroumen
Well, if you do gain the full XP that way then indeed, it's an exploit/unfortunate shortcut. You could still allow an RP element by giving merely a small portion of the XP if the key was stolen (with something like a global variable indicating that the the guard is not dead yet), and a full XP reward if the quest was completed properly (there's 3 ways to do that quest iirc).
Vanilla does such things at times too though not with thieving skills. If you choose the wrong diplomatic answers in banters and such you can get less XP and less item rewards.
Ryel ril Ers
@Sikret
I don't know how do you play or tell a pen and pencil game but the quest experience is the reward of done a very challenging task. Tha task was rescue the noble's daughter, we do it, she doesn't hurted, we are alive so we deserved the reward. As i said it was challenging because i tried kill Conster (i pick pocket him because roleplaying reasons: if i had the key Conster cannot kill her so easily, and he cannot use her as hostage) and when i saw he is too tought for my party soo we done the priority task and we saved the girl, i sacrifice two character and some staff what i cannot carry with me. (i only load a game when i try to find a bug /in that case i always wrote it to you/ or my PC is died)

I get less XP because i don't killed Conster.
I complate the quest.

Do you think the role playing game is only chain of the battles?
We deserved that experience because we done the quest if i don't think it i load the save in the watcher's keep and i drop 8 hours game.

I love your mod so why do you want to hate it?
I don't use any cheat or cheese in my game, and i find and tell you at least 4 cheese method. (i am programmer so i easily find bugs in any program)

As i said we cannot defeat Conster now, if we could do it than i didn't choose the tricky way.
Ryel ril Ers
PART 6 Updated with my yesturday evening and my today evening adventures.

Another strange:
The minute meteor works with dual wield (i don't know how possible solve this problem, and i think this equipment cool).
The improved haste doesn't work with offensive spin because the second spell overwrite the first. So everybody who use blade always cast impoved haste after offensive spin, you can't get one more extra attack from spin but you get maximum damage this is very cool with minute meteor because you can do 100 damage in one round if all of the meteors hit, but they have bad thaco sad.gif.

PART 7 also updated with my new experiences in the temple sewers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.