Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Potion Questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Romulas
I was just reading the description for the potion of absorpson, and noted that along with the electrical resistance it gives -10 to AC against crushing damage. The question is this, will AC be capped a -24, which I believe is a game limit, there are a few things that can make your AC better than that, -26 I think. If that is so then at the higher level or AC the benefits would not be that good, even though the electrical resistance is good.

Thanks,

Romulas
Raven
There is no cap on AC modifiers which are specific to a particular weapon type; if your AC is -24 and you drink a Potion of Absorption, your AC against blunt weapons is then -34. The AC on your inventory page is still -24, but if you scroll down on your character record you will see 'Crushing -10' under alongside any other modifiers.

Also the -10 stacks with additional blunt modifiers. So if your character was wearing the Girdle of Bluntness and then drunk the potion you would see -14 as the modifier.

So Potions of Absorption are extremely powerful against certain enemies, but they are very rare (there are only a few in the game).
rbeverjr
Someone else said that the absolute limit in AC was -30, imposed by the game engine. So, you could go down to -30 vs crushing. That's helpful, but a mighty damage resistance is very desirable too.
Raven
Well, I have just tested this and have not found such a limit.

I had a character with AC -24 from her equipment drink a Potion of Absorption. I then attacked her with a character with a blunt weapon and looked at the 'to hit' figures shown in the dialogue box. They were consistent with an effective AC of -34.
Romulas
QUOTE(Raven @ Dec 16 2007, 12:28 PM) *
Well, I have just tested this and have not found such a limit.

I had a character with AC -24 from her equipment drink a Potion of Absorption. I then attacked her with a character with a blunt weapon and looked at the 'to hit' figures shown in the dialogue box. They were consistent with an effective AC of -34.

Thanks for the info, my they are powerful, time to remember where I saw some and go get them. Another question, how does one know if the potion effects (any potion) is dispellable? Is there a listing, the obvious reason I ask is that many IA bad guys dispel or remove magic at the start of battle, would suck to waste such things.

Romulas
Sikret
@Romulas

The effects of all potions (except "Barbarian Essence") are dispellable.
Romulas
QUOTE(Sikret @ Dec 16 2007, 11:31 PM) *
@Romulas

The effects of all potions (except "Barbarian Essence") are dispellable.

Thanks for the info, so the timeing of when to use them is important.

Romulas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.