Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Robe of the Apprenti (spoilers)
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
bruz
My protagonst being mage of no small power had finally attained the Planar Sphere and in doing so three apprentices were thrust upon him by the Cowled Fools.
After much bickering and arguing he decided what tasks they were to preform aside from sweeping the floors and sorting spell components.
A robe was to be made, one that in time would be enchanted further beoynd the normal limits.
The mage set his apprentices to work and after a few days a powerful wand was completed, this was merley a test but still yielded a usfelul tool for blasting insignificants to smoking frostblasted flaming bits.
The wand was only the beginning and the mage started to see how useful apprentices could be.
The next major task he set them to was the scribing of a scroll containing a powerful destructive spell, Nara one of his apprentices foolishly blew herself to bits in a miscast of the magics but in the end they were successful.
The mage was content but also worried, if things continued like this he would soon be out of apprentices and he would be stuck with his gaudy not so powerful robes. The two remaning apprenti were not overly intrigued when he told them what he wanted them work on, the apprenti having already forgotten about their dead friend were more interested in the crafing of a particular Staff of Power.
But the mage set them to work while pointing at the smoking pile that once had been Nara, and saying: - To craft a true Staff of power I would need a hundered more apprentices and they would all end up like that...
The days went by and the mage was called to the workshop by Morul who was now his only living apprentice.
Morul - Well... I must say im relived to be talking to you.
Mage - Yes yes, where are my new robes? I can finally be ridd of these gaudy garments.
Morul - Nara and Larz are both dead, leaving me alone. Head of the class now, I guess... I... guess
Mage - Unfortunate accidents are to be expected when dabbling with powers far... ah no more of that, where are my new robes?
Morul - I fear the day was a total loss. Friends gave their lives for an enchantment that fouled in their absence. The robe did not come to be.
As the words of what Morul was saying sank in, the apprentice prepared to take his leave.
Morul face lit up as he saw his master weilding the wand he and his now dead friends had crafted and then turned to a mask of utter terror, the carefully crafted contingency that held half a hundred castings of fire, ice and lighting was activated and he felt nothing as he spiraled into oblivion.
The mage was outraged, his apprenti had failed and in a burst of anger he had tunred his workshop into a bloody mess.

After having tried 30 times or so with different approach each time I always end up with this same result.

How can I get the robes?

Is this just bad luck from my side?
Sikret
It's mentioned in the readme that if the apprenti fail to make the robe in their first attempt, reloading the game will not help and they will fail everytime. smile.gif
bruz
Yes that seems to be the case, they always manage to make the ring and the staff but never the robe.
When is the roll made then?
At which point do I need to reload?
And the "Read me" you mention which one do you mean? there are so many
bruz
Taken from Document III-Fixes & Tweaks.txt

"137- Apprenti's chance of success to forge the Robe of the Apprenti is modified. In the original
game their chance of success was 20% regardless of any other conditions and reloading for
several times could eventually make them forge it for you. Now:
1- If the protagonist is a Pure mage the apprenti have more chance then when the protagonist
is a dual/multi-class mage or a sorcerer.
2- If the protagonist is a human dual-class, the apprenti have more chance than when the
protagonist is a multi-class or a sorcerer.
3- Sorcerer and mage-cleric protagonists stand third.
4- Other multi-class protagonists have the least chance to instruct successful apprenti.
5- Protagonist's high wisdom has its own positive effect.
6- If the apprenti fail the first time (which is still random considering the abovementioned
modifiers) reloading the game will not change the result (starting a new game will)."

haha!
I never thought someone would come up with cheat-preventing scripts like these, next we wont be able to relad at all.

I see, thanks for the the help, I guess replacing my robes proved to be nothing more than a fleeting dream...

Romulas
However Bruz,

Even though you didn't get the robe nice story, it was enjoyable to read. I did notice that you tried for the wand then the robe, even without IA I have only ever made the robe by making it the hardest one to make, meaning taking the easy route the first two times. I seriously doubt if only 2 apprenti can make the robe.

Romulas
lroumen
It is possible to get the Robe if you made the less easy items but the chance is just very low.

SPOILER!
Vanilla:
There is always a chance that one of them is killed no matter how easy the item is.

The following deaths are certain in vanilla:
Ring of Protection: Larz gets killed
Meteor Swarm: Nara gets killed
Robe of the Apprenti: Larz gets killed if he hasn't already
Ring of Wizardry: all must be alive and it kills Nara and Larz
The Staff of Power: all must be alive and it kills all three

If Morul survives all the crafting he is supposed to return and he can create potions for you. I think that he doesn't return if you didn't pay off the Cowled Wizards for using Magic in Town, but I'm not certain.
bruz
Im thinking about starting anew, this time as a mage with 18 wisdom to increase the chances of getting the robes.
Before I do that it would be nice to know what my chances are, taking the quickest route there with the easy dificulty setting wont take that long but.

After reading the "readme" file it feels like Sikret's smiley is not only smiling but smiling at me (a very smug smile)... Having prevented another cheater.

So Sikret, what are my chances?

To Romulas
What I wrote in the story is not entirely true, I made the dagger/mislead then went for the robes, not knowing about the script that prevents me from retrying I did so many times and tried making the wand etc...
Caedwyr
If Morul survives all the crafting he is supposed to return and he can create potions for you. I think that he doesn't return if you didn't pay off the Cowled Wizards for using Magic in Town, but I'm not certain.

In the vanilla game you don't need a magic license for Morul to come and make potions.

Also, you can always CLUAConsole the items in if you really want them.
Raven
The point about the Robe of the Apprenti is that it is something that is extremely difficult to make in Improved Anvil.

As a result, you cannot count on getting it to forge the Memory robe.

This fact would be irrelevant if Sikret set things up so that reloading after failure would allow you to eventually forge the Robe of the Apprenti.

I should stress that you do not need the Memory Robe to finish the game. bruz I would really recommend just continuing with your current game, not restarting.

Also do not count on CLUAConsole to cheat IA items into the game, it does not work.
Sikret
I'm really sorry, Caedwyr! I had to delete your latest post. Sending that kind of "script breaking" cheats/spoilers (or whatever we call them) is not allowed here.

Use PMs for such things if you really want to send them to a player who loves cheating (and tell him that if he uses the cheat, he will be on his own and will not receive any further technical support from me). Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Edit: It's true that you used spoiler tags, but spoiler tags are for spoilerish tactical advice or for writing some spoilerish information about interesting events you see while playing the mod; it's not for sending information about how to break the mod's scripts.
Sikret
@bruz

As Raven correctly mentioned, you don't really need the Memory robe to play or finish the game. I suggest playing with realism and not to be dependent on items too much. But yes, with a single class mage with 18 wisdom your chances to make the robe will be maximum (though not 100%).

Also, never try to cheat or use CLUAConsole during playing IA. In most cases the cheat will not work at all, but even if it works in some cases, it will most probably mess up things in your game. It's already mentioned in the mod's readme that players are warned not to cheat in the game if they intend to play this mod. I know that you never asked for cheats or any illegal methods to make the robe, but since cheating was mentioned as a possible solution in one of the previous posts, I decided to warn you against using any such methods.

Cheers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.