Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leveled for success
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
Hi,

I know that Raven has provided a generalized suggestion of quest order and that Sikret has begun a “walk-through” (at least he is offering some hints on how to overcome battles). I would like to know if I can switch that quest order some, but hate the trial-and-error of a bunch of reloading. I’m hoping that the play testers (and those who have already completed these quests) can offer a suggested average party level (6-member team) for some of the quests/battles. Assume that the team was intelligently chosen but that the player has skills that are only a little better than marginal for IA5. (That’s me. I’ve completed IA 4.2 once, almost completed SoA under 4.2 a second time, and dabbled with IA3 a bit. Most importantly, I typically only play after I am too mentally exhausted to work anymore.) The quests/battles are as follows:

Beastmaster
Lilacor
Slaver ship in slums
Slaver HQ in temple district
Toll keepers in sewers of temple district
Rakasha in sewers of temple district
Planar sphere
Planar prison
Shadow Dragon
Shadow Lord un Umar hills
Belm
Greater yuan-ti in the courtyard of De’arnis keep
Tor-gal
Twisted Rune
Judgment sword battle (not the prelude with Angurvadal)

Thanks for your help.

>>Feel free to let me know when you completed any or all of the quests. All input is appreciated.
Sikret
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ Dec 12 2007, 12:01 AM) *
Hi,

I know that Raven has provided a generalized suggestion of quest order and that Sikret has begun a “walk-through” (at least he is offering some hints on how to overcome battles). I would like to know if I can switch that quest order some, but hate the trial-and-error of a bunch of reloading. I’m hoping that the play testers (and those who have already completed these quests) can offer a suggested average party level (6-member team) for some of the quests/battles. Assume that the team was intelligently chosen but that the player has skills that are only a little better than marginal for IA5. (That’s me. I’ve completed IA 4.2 once, almost completed SoA under 4.2 a second time, and dabbled with IA3 a bit. Most importantly, I typically only play after I am too mentally exhausted to work anymore.) The quests/battles are as follows:

This is surely one of those questions Raven (and Dago) can answer much better than me; but I will try to give some hints. Some of them may be just wild guesses (as I have not tested all of them myself and should wait for testers' more accurate replies. I will mark those which are wild guesses with asterisks waiting for Raven's remarks):

Note to all: This is heavily spoilerish. I suggest that you don't read it if you are looking for playing with maximum realism and maximum challenge. Reading these spoilers will most probably ruin the fun of those battles:

SPOILER!

-Beastmaster (9-10)
-Lilacor (10-11)
-Slaver ship in slums (11-12)
-Slaver HQ in temple district (18-20)* Raven?
-Toll keepers in sewers of temple district (15-16)*
-Rakasha in sewers of temple district (11-13 with no cheese; doable with lower level parties if you want to play cheesily: hit and run)
- Planar sphere (11-13)
-Planar prison (12-14)
-Shadow Dragon (13-14)*
-Shadow Lord un Umar hills (chapter 6)*
-Belm (11-13)*
-Greater yuan-ti in the courtyard of De’arnis keep (9-10)
-Tor-gal (10-12)
-Twisted Rune (Right before going to Tree of Life; it's probably the hardest battle in SOA)*
-Judgment Day sword's final battle (I say TOB, but if you want to do it in SOA leave it for just before going to Tree of Life. The point is that you need to have already defeated very powerful foes before having the sword; hence, you will naturally have a very powerful party by that time)*
rbeverjr
Thanks Sikret. I assure you that your suggesting appropriate levels for these battles will not ruin my fun. smile.gif
LZJ
I may not be an expert on tactics, but here's my own take on the required levels for some of the quests:

SPOILER!
Shadow Dragon (lvl 12-13)
Shadow Lord (manageable at lvl 13 from my experience, with a mage optionally at lvl 14 to cast 7th lvl spells... alternatively, use scrolls. 2-3 of a certain type would be enough.)
Troll Mound (*Chapter 6: may be wrong, but personally I could not handle it with a lvl 13 party due to certain...disabling attacks.)
Raven
Sorry if what I've written isn't particularly easy to read (don't want to move it outside spoiler tag):

QUOTE(Sikret @ Dec 11 2007, 09:24 PM) *
SPOILER!

-Beastmaster (9-10)
-Lilacor (10-11)
I would have maybe said a little higher but since you yourself completed it at this level in your game I guess it's fine.
-Slaver ship in slums (11-12)
-Slaver HQ in temple district (18-20)* Raven?
Sounds about right, my vagrant was level 17.
-Toll keepers in sewers of temple district (15-16)*
Agree, I don't find this one easy.
-Rakasha in sewers of temple district (11-13 with no cheese; doable with lower level parties if you want to play cheesily: hit and run)
I found I could do this without cheesy methods at level 10.
- Planar sphere (11-13)
-Planar prison (12-14)
Agreed, final fight makes it probably harder than Planar Sphere
-Shadow Dragon (13-14)*
-Shadow Lord un Umar hills (chapter 6)*
I did it at about level 12, too early for most parties probably. It was manageable but not recommended. Agree about leaving it for after Underdark.
-Belm (11-13)*
Should be pretty easy at level 12 or higher (Improved Haste...)
-Greater yuan-ti in the courtyard of De’arnis keep (9-10)
-Tor-gal (10-12)
-Twisted Rune (Right before going to Tree of Life; it's probably the hardest battle in SOA)*
Yes, this is REALLY difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if some parties struggled to beat it even after doing everything else. It's optional though, so I don't think that's a problem.
-Judgment Day sword's final battle (I say TOB, but if you want to do it in SOA leave it for just before going to Tree of Life. The point is that you need to have already defeated very powerful foes before having the sword; hence, you will naturally have a very powerful party by that time)*
I doubt many parties will be able to do this in SOA - I don't think many parties will be even able to claim Angurvadal in SOA!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.