Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Shadan
I am planning my new run in V5, but I have some questions:
1. I haven't found Limak's Brain in my previous 4.2 run. Where should be it? (If this is a spoiler, send me in PM pls...)
2. I have read somewhere on this forum, if I have Valygar in my party, I can find 2 Dagger of the Star +4, one for his improved Katana and one for Grandfather of Assasins. Is this right?
3. I am planning the following setup:
human vagrant ptrotagonist
human ranger9 > cleric dual
Valygar (SKed to Swashbuckler > fighter dual class)
Nalia or Aerie (SKed to wild mage)
Haer'dalis

My question is twofolded:
First of all I have never changed kit and class in SK, so I don't know how to do it. Suppose I have to get the NPC in the party, delete all what I find at him in SK, then give a class and XP, and make levelups. Am I right? Any suggestion what should I care for?
Secondly I would like to play wild mage. Sadly there isn't any improved items wih extra spell slots for mages except protagonist, Nalia or necromancer... I would like to play with Aerie cause of romance, but I have found any items as extra spellslots. Since I have only 5 chars, any extra spellslots would be great. Any suggestions? Or shall I leave her and take Nalia with his ring?

Thx for answers and help in advance. smile.gif
Aegor
Well I've copied this paragraph long time ago and saved it to my BG2 walkthrough, I think it was a post from the Sorcerers place, it explains the SK class change pretty good:

"Basically, you set everything to 0 before you change the class.

Level goes to 0, thieving points go to 0, delete all proficiencies, all affects except COLORCHANGE (gives the NPC their own flavor to have off-standard colors), innate spells, etc. HP set to 1 since 0 won't work, but saves and THAC0 you don't have to worry about (though it wouldn't hurt to set them to 20 just in case). And of course you change the class.

When you get back into the game, they'll PING and you just level them up. Saves, spell slots, and THAC0 are taken from tables. One more trip into SK to remove that one extra hit point and maybe add spells to the spellbook that you think they should have started with if they're a wizardly class, and you're done."
Sikret
QUOTE(shadan @ Nov 28 2007, 05:30 PM) *
1. I haven't found Limak's Brain in my previous 4.2 run. Where should be it? (If this is a spoiler, send me in PM pls...)

Limak's brain can be found only if your protagonist is a single class mage or sorcerer and only after forging "Memory of the Apprenti".

2. I have read somewhere on this forum, if I have Valygar in my party, I can find 2 Dagger of the Star +4, one for his improved Katana and one for Grandfather of Assasins. Is this right?
Not anymore! It was true in previous versions of the mod, but in v5 there is only one Dagger of the Star +4 in the game.

Valygar (SKed to Swashbuckler > fighter dual class)

I assure you that changing Valygar's class or kit is a very bad idea. He won't be able to use his important personal items anymore.
rbeverjr
Concerning the wildmage: The wildmage is supreme as the arcane power at epic levels, at least in my opinion. However, I am increasingly concerned with having a powerful party for the entire game rather than having the ultimate party for less than half the game. The big problem of the wildmage in much of SoA is that the magic is wild. You can't always depend on it doing what you want. That's a terror for tacticians. Even worse, one of the screw ups that can happen is the loss of tens of thousands of GP. That's a big loss, if you are wanting one of Sikret's improved items. At high level and with Improved Chaos shields, the wildness is somewhat tamed. For these reasons, I personally use a sorcerer - or probably a sorceress (Imoen) now. smile.gif

You may also consider inserting the Kelsey NPC mod if you want to play a wildmage (and if IA5 allows it). In one of the encounters, you will pick up an amulet that helps wild mages a bit.

I'm also a fan of the ranger-cleric dual. I dual at 7 instead of 9 because I want those cleric spells earlier. Ultimately, the ranger-cleric multi is probably more powerful (through the critical strike HLA). However, I contend that the dual class will contribute more to the group throughout most of the game because of the greater spell ability. Sometimes, I just have the altered Jaheira hang out with shield and sling and ping between spells (even though the sling is ineffective against many of Sikret's creatures). It's greater restoration that is her primary function, a spell that I don't want interrupted.
Shadan
Thanks for answers.
Sikret, is this similar problem with Nalia and her ring if I change his class, like with Valygar?
Rbeverjr, surely you have good points regarding wild mage. You made me to reconsider my party. Anyway, my problem with sorcerer, he has only limited spell selection, and Haer'Dalis also has limited spell selection, and in 5 man party I can't see any slot for a full time mage with broad spell selection. I am a bit tired in micromagament, buffing etc. six chars in my former 4.2 run... And my problem with Imoen that she will dissapear at start and I can get her back only after some hard quests. I don't like to change my party, I like to play, advance, gear up with same partymembers.
I think I will analize what crucial spell do I need, and I will check if Haer'Dalis and a sorcere can cover all of them. Where can I check sorcerer spell table in BG2?
Raven
QUOTE(shadan @ Nov 29 2007, 08:25 AM) *
I think I will analize what crucial spell do I need, and I will check if Haer'Dalis and a sorcere can cover all of them. Where can I check sorcerer spell table in BG2?

For most of the IA 5 testing I did my sorcerer was my only arcane spell caster. He was also one of my most useful and powerful characters. Bearing in mind that with the un-nerfed advancements tables Haer'Dalis can get up to level 8 spells I think you'll be fine.
Shadan
Another questions popped in my mind: Is it possible to use character specific items with thief HLA (Use Any Item). I mean Valygar's improved items for example or Jan's one, or cast specific (like Pride of the Legion, Holy Avanger+5, JD sword, Royal Elemental Staff, Improved Boots of Ranger Lord, Improved Dragon Helm, Grandmaster of FLowers, Golem Slayer, The Truth, Red Coral Armor etc.)
Delryn Family Legacy and Improved Firecam Armor description in improved items txt file doesn't write if this usable only by Anomen and Keldorn or not.
Great Wyrm Armor: I suppose it is plate type, but description doesn't contain any class restriction in items.txt.

If I change Nalia to sorcerer, will her ring impove her daily spell as sorcerer also?
muddymissfit
Another questions popped in my mind: Is it possible to use character specific items with thief HLA (Use Any Item).
Nope , UAI has been toned down in V5 , basically the NPC specific items and some class specific items are excluded form the UAI list ( things like the bard mail + druid helm ) this still leaves alot of items you CAN use , but also prevents exploiting the ability

-edit found the list!

QUOTE(Sikret @ Sep 5 2007, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Sep 5 2007, 03:55 PM) *
Thank you sikret.

that was a very good idea to protect some items against use an item. What are these items?

You are welcome.

Here is the list of items which are protected against UAI. If you have suggestions to add to this list, don't hesitate to send them:
  • Oak of the High Forest (Cernd)
  • True Sword of Arvoreen +4 (Mazzy)
  • Corthala Family True Blade +5 (Valygar)
  • Improved Corthala Family Armor (Valygar)
  • Protector of The Woods (Usable by rangers)
  • The Truth +5 (usable by single class good aligned warriors)
  • Red Coral Armor +6 (usable by vagrants & stalkers)
  • Judgement Day +5 (usable by single class good aligned warriors)
  • Flail of Defending and Wounding +5 (usable by single-class rangers)
  • Improved Firecam Armor +3 (Keldorn)
  • Boots of The Ranger Lord (usable by rangers)
  • Improved Boots of The Ranger Lord (usable by rangers)
  • Boots of The Woodland (usable by rangers)
  • Holy Avenger +5 (usable by paladins)
  • Grandmaster of Flowers (usable by monks)
  • Golem Slayer +5 (usable by single-class mages)
  • Eternal Melody +5 (usable by bards)
  • Helm of Clarity (usable by druids)
  • Axe of the Lakesider +4 (Usable by vagrants & Stalkers)
  • Jansen Adventure Wear (Enhanced)
  • Memory of the Apprenti (Usable by single-class mages)

note changing NPC classes / stats results in them not being able to use their custom items
Sikret
Delryn Family Legacy +4 was also in the list (was added in the next post in that thread).
Vardaman
Are the new temple donation reputation amounts tabled out anywhere in the documentation?
Sikret
QUOTE(Vardaman @ Dec 5 2007, 10:14 PM) *
Are the new temple donation reputation amounts tabled out anywhere in the documentation?

No, because I thought it would not be a bad idea to let players find it out by try and error. Nonetheless, if you want it here it is (I'll put it into spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for those who want to discover it by inside the game):

SPOILER!

Current rep----------GP to increase rep
1----------------------- 5000
2----------------------- 2500
3----------------------- 2000
4----------------------- 1500
5----------------------- 1200
6------------------------ 900
7------------------------ 700
8------------------------ 500
9------------------------ 700
10----------------------- 900
11---------------------- 1200
12---------------------- 1500
13---------------------- 2000
14---------------------- 2500
15---------------------- 5000

Donation won't raise reputation above 16
Vardaman
QUOTE(Sikret @ Dec 5 2007, 01:47 PM) *
QUOTE(Vardaman @ Dec 5 2007, 10:14 PM) *

No, because I thought it would not be a bad idea to let players find it out by try and error. Nonetheless, if you want it here it is (I'll put it into spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for those who want to discover it by inside the game):

Ok, thanks. Would it really be a spoiler to document it since the original table is in the player's manual?

IMHO, figuring it out by trial and error would be tedious because of reloading to save gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.