Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with starting stronghold quests
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Aledeth
Hello again. Been pounding in more face recently, and it was good.

I have a F/M protagonist with the Multiple Stronghold mod installed. I read on the forums that IA is compatible with the other mod, and so was looking forward to seeing the new quests in the Planar Sphere.

The problem is, they don't seem to be happening!

And the progression of the De'Arnise Hold quests has stalled too. No one new has shown up for 20 days now, and the most recent event was the guard stealing from the keep.

Anyone else have something like this happen to them?
Sikret
Hi, Aledeth!

QUOTE(Aledeth @ Nov 4 2007, 12:54 PM) *
Hello again. Been pounding in more face recently, and it was good.

I have a F/M protagonist with the Multiple Stronghold mod installed. I read on the forums that IA is compatible with the other mod, and so was looking forward to seeing the new quests in the Planar Sphere.

The problem is, they don't seem to be happening!

Which ones don't happen? The quests of IA's expanded mage stronghold or the usual quests of the vanilla game? The entire mage stronghold quests (including the old quests and the new ones) have been tested countless times.

And the progression of the De'Arnise Hold quests has stalled too. No one new has shown up for 20 days now, and the most recent event was the guard stealing from the keep.

It's not related to IA. You should go to the keep and ask for news every 2 weeks or so. They don't send messenger for every single event IIRC.

BTW, from which mod have you installed the multiple strongholds?
Aledeth
Which ones don't happen? The quests of IA's expanded mage stronghold or the usual quests of the vanilla game? The entire mage stronghold quests (including the old quests and the new ones) have been tested countless times.

I have finished the vanilla BG2 quests in the sphere (Couldn't get the robe though angry.gif ), and nothing is happening now.

I used the multiple stronghold mod from the G3 BG2 Tweakpack. They say that it is the same as the one that Baldurdash uses, but there might be something different about it.

I just noticed that in the read-me for ver 5.0 that you released a while ago, you say that the tweakpack and rest-anywhere are incompatible. Could that be the issue here somehow?

And as a last question, what is the fix with spell-shield that you are working on, and what is the ETA on 5.0 now?

And thanks for the quick response.
Sikret
QUOTE(Aledeth @ Nov 5 2007, 02:58 AM) *

I have finished the vanilla BG2 quests in the sphere (Couldn't get the robe though angry.gif ), and nothing is happening now.

Hasn't Marvella spawned yet? She should appear in the dusty area in which you fought the Halflings one week after you gain the stronghold.

I just noticed that in the read-me for ver 5.0 that you released a while ago, you say that the tweakpack and rest-anywhere are incompatible. Could that be the issue here somehow?
If at least one week has passed since the time you gained the stronghold and Marvella has not spawned, then yes, there is surely a difference between the multiple strongholds of the BG2 Tweakpack and that of Ease-of-Use. Please check the time and search that area and let me know about Marvella.

Regardless of this particular problem, I have said many times (in different posts) that players should use the original Ease-of-Use (rather than BG2 Tweakpack) and those who don't follow recommendations will be on their own.

And as a last question, what is the fix with spell-shield that you are working on

Here is the quote from the v5 readme about spell shield:

The fifth level wizard spell, "Spell Shield" had some important bugs in the original game:

A- If it was cast *before* the other fifth level spell "Spell Immunity", three (rather than two protection removal spells (such as Ruby Ray of Reversal) were needed to remove them. The first two were consumed by spell shield and a 3rd one was needed to remove the spell immunity (the same would happen if spell shield was cast before Minor Spell Turning). Similarly, if spell shield was cast together with (no matter before or after) Minor Globe of Invulnerability or Minor spell Deflection, one additional Ruby Ray spell was required to remove them. This critical bug is completely and seamlessly fixed (thanks to Raven for his reports and for the consequent tests during applying this important fix).

B- The second bug of Spell Shield spell in the vanilla game was that *sometimes* it was impossible to bring down the shield by protection removal spells (such as Ruby Ray of Reversal) no matter how many Ruby Rays were cast on the target. The only solution inside and during the game was to reload to a previous saved game and hope that it wouldn't happen again. This bug is not fully fixable but it's to some considerable extent fixed and (according to IA testers) it now happens much less frequently than in the vanilla game. The bug is actually fully fixed against the 9th level spell, spellstrike; but it still sometimes happens against Ruby Ray of Reversal.

C- Moreover, the spell's duration in the vanilla game didn't match its description. I could change/fix the spell and make its duration match with the spell's description in the vanilla game, but I didn't find it to be the best solution as the spell's duration would turn to be too long and considering the unfixable bug which re-appears every now and then, I decided to shorten the spell's duration to 2 turns and to change the description as well.

D- In order to block a possible exploit, The spell is also nerfed in a way that it can't be cast more frequently than once every two turns (unless it is removed by spellstrike).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.