Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tactics
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Roy
I have noticed in my game I'm doing things that the enemies are
doing to me.I have used Kelsey with stoneskins to occupy fighters
while the others concentrate on finishing one opponent.
So here are things I use and a lot I learned from reading.

1.Always read the text.It tells of immunities,spell defenses and other
stuff.I now read mages defenses and see the weaknesses there.

2.Run and use the walls.Bottle necking wins tons of fights.Sometimes
the enemies split up and don't know what to do aginst you.

3.Distractions.Including summons and mages while they breach.
I use Kelsy buffed with defences while he casts spells to occupy
enemies that can't hit him.

He can't hurt them with spells either because most though enemies
are resistent to magic and immune to fire,acid,cold.

4.Breach everyone that is immune to physical damage.

5.Mages can be killed with melee when they don't cast protection from
magical weapons.

6.Have weapons that do crushing damage.Haste and everyone on one golem
at a time.I use F/M or sorcerer that instead of hiding behind unable
to hit a golem as a shield for Keldorn or Minsc.

Stu
Tactics/AI exploits for a low level party (where I'm at, and have found effective)
1. send in an invisible/stealthed character to an enemy even if they cannot be backstabbed - this forces them to cast a spell like true sight. Rush in and get a few hits in without having to worry that they'll cast something nasty during the rest of that round.

2. Slow is awesome against regenerating creatures - lowers regeneration rate

3. If a dialogue triggered enemy has minions, try and take them out 1st (ie lure them away with summons, without triggering the dialogue)

4. some creatures can see through invisibility, others cannot - use this to separate them. i.e. the imporved Rakshasa in the sewers can see the invisible, his kobolds cannot - send an invis character in, and get him to chase you out of his group of kobolds.

5. ranged weapons don't do that much (always opt for a sword over a bow, don't take an archer)

6. outlasting enemies isn't a good idea if they have regen - go all out mellee asap! (i'm thinking Tazok here)

7. give up occasionally - take em later when you can (not all battles are winnable by a lvl 8-10 party)

8. Disrupt spell casting wherever possible and always cast something with a pure magic type user - if you have a magic missile cast it - with any luck it will prevent the enemy from doing the same.
Raven
Keeping with the theme of low-level advice (most useful for new players I guess):

1) The longsword Ras +2 (dancing sword) can be purchased in Trademeet after getting rid of the djinn for 30 - 40k gp. Even though the sword only lasts 4 rounds it is still useful as a distraction against enemies who do not cast Death Spell (e.g. golems, Suna's party, Sewer Rakshasa etc.) and is available long before Mordy's Sword.

2) This isn't a tactic as such but there is a cutpurse who appears by Neb's house in the Bridge District during the night. He sells some really useful scrolls including SI, Imp. Haste, PfMW.

3) Some improved enemies use abilities which are hard to save against. Potions of Magic Shielding (the yellow ones) will allow you to pass all saves automatically and last for 3 turns.

4) You find 3 Icedust Potions in the Slaver Ship. These are the only such potions in the game and they are useful against powerful fire-using enemies especially later in the game. I regretted 'wasting' them when fighting Firkraag...
rbeverjr
Keldorn’s Dispel Magic works great. It will remove Rakasha’s Absolute Immunity and effect liches (when you are high enough level, provided that they don't also have spell immunity abjuration). It’s good vs the mages involved with Jaheira’s curse (Ployer and company). It’s good vs Rayic Gethras (who Edwin sends you to kill). It can be beneficial to remove potion effects from an enemy crowd, take away magic from clerics, and even the ongoing effects on mages who don’t have immunity abjuration up. Never forget the power of this ability. It does have limitations in that when Keldorn is low level, it won’t always succeed vs some high level bosses, and it never succeeds when immunity abjuration is up on the target.

I previously was upset that Keldorn's Dispel Magic was much less reliable than in the vanilla game. However, as thetruth pointed out, this usually involved those many frustrating mages with their immunity abjuration spells. So, I've done an about face on my opinion of Keldorn. smile.gif I still wish it was Remove Magic though. wink.gif
Arkain
Um... are you sure? Liches and Rakshasas/Rakshasi (whatever...) are immune to spells under a certain spell level. Including level 3.
rbeverjr
QUOTE(Arkain @ Jun 27 2007, 09:25 PM) *

Um... are you sure? Liches and Rakshasas/Rakshasi (whatever...) are immune to spells under a certain spell level. Including level 3.

Liches are typically immune to level 5 spells and less. Rakashas are immune to level 7 or less. For some reason, neither are immune to Dispel Magic. ...I believe I have these things right. DM worked to remove absolute immunity from raks in the druid grove. This is for sure in my game.
Stu
DM worked to remove absolute immunity from raks in the druid grove. This is for sure in my game.

I walked out and waited for 4 rounds wink.gif - I guess your average rakshasa in hiding doesn't like going outside.
Sikret
Even immunity to 9th level (or lower) spells doesn't cover/include immunity to dispel/remove magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.