Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Items and Tactics
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
I seem to be the only one posting. I know that several of you are far better tactical experts than I am – but my game is rapidly improving. I would appreciate your input on tactics used, spell combos, items used and what have you – in a general sense to avoid spoilers. More posts please! smile.gif

I’m an item collector myself. Regardless of the items that I am using, I am learning how to deal with Sikret’s monsters! This post is to encourage the experts to share their tactical knowledge with me to increase my skill level quicker than me learning alone. And I’m sure it will benefit other people who read this and are similarly skilled as I am.

I gave my opinions of some out-of-mod items – bloodbane and boots of preserving in their respective threads. Because I don’t think they make an overwhelming difference in IA and because many people regard them as big cheese, I’m going to sell them. (And because Sikret suggested losing those boots...) Basically, I will only use items that Sikret or the original game makers have made. I hope ToB isn’t too inhospitable for me!

I have also used Sikret’s items from The Four mod. Each item has its advantages and disadvantages and is guarded by Sikret’s monsters. There’s a ring, helmet, cloak, and pair of gloves. Except for the cloak (which has deadly disadvantages), I consider these items useful. Of course, they are not required for success. The one I like best is the pair of gloves because they give immunity to insects. It also gives immunity to remove magic, but my sorceress who wears them always has that with immunity-abjuration + spell shield any way (the most important buffs for major battles to me). Of course, immunity to insects is very rarely needed, and I may get more mileage out of some bracers of armor. smile.gif (Note, if Sikret judges these items to be inappropriate to IA, I’ll sell them too.)

Although the items from The Four are sweet, the item that I have found to be most beneficial by far is the flail of defending and wounding. This weapon rocks big time. I’d say it is clearly second to the judgment day sword among the choice weapons, but it is a mighty offensive weapon. It has easily been the item that I feel has contributed most to my success. (Of course, my sorceress’ magic is even more valuable.) I don’t reload very often now, and it is because of this item more than any other. Once I get to the skill level that I can make it through the game with 10 reloads or less, I’ll have to try to convince myself to give up the flail sad.gif. I can’t bring myself to use the judgment day sword because I think it is too powerful and really want to be able to win without it.

I’ve also used the boots of improved haste. This is mostly an irritation saver. The less buffing I am forced to do before each fight, the more I like it! (The Sola auto-buff is very nice pre-battle script. Using it in battle is not allowed by me, because it gives a short term Improved Alacrity. As the bad guys get the same thing for their buffs [or it seems so to me], I don’t mind pre-battle use.) I bought Cernd a circlet and cloak upgrade. I recently got the belt of cloud giant strength. And that’s pretty much it. I’ve got some money now and am thinking of other upgrades. I like each of these upgrades, but I suppose, as with all balanced items, I would consider that they give me an edge – not an overwhelming got-to-get-it edge but a slight advantage that can make the difference. Now, if I could get an item to gate in Sikret golems for my team every 5 rounds, that would be a big advantage. wink.gif (just kidding)

It has been emphasized several times by Sikret that party of the strategy in IA is deciding which items to upgrade. So, what do you feel are the cherries of Sikret’s offerings? This is an open ended question considering that you can have whomever you desire on your team. I realize that some of his items are NPC-specific.
luan
My best success is realized simply by paying close attention to the text box. If you know what the enemy is doing 100% of the time, you should be good to go! biggrin.gif
rbeverjr
I'd have to say that Holy Avenger may make the game more enjoyable than any other weapon. I hate the mages in the game. 5 Ruby Rays later, it seems that they are sometimes still laughing behind their immunity globe. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I could kill them quickly with area effect spells, but because of very high resistances (either inherent to the monster or by spell protection), I find that fighter-mages often cause me difficulty. The Holy Avenger can get rid of that junk. All hail Holy Avenger. smile.gif
sturmvogel
I just beat Gaius in the Sewers and have to agree that IA may have gone a bit overboard with multiple spell protections. Kelsey burnt all three of his Ruby Rays on Gaius and the bastard just kept on throwing up Improved Mantles (maybe 5 or so!). Fortunately I occupied him with Greater Bearweres (which one of the clerics tried to use against me, for the first time ever!) after letting him burn through his death spells on weak summons while I knocked off the rest of Tarnor's group. The last 30 or 40 rounds was pretty boring as everybody just gathered around and beat on him waiting for the Improved Mantles to end. His triple chain lightning caught me by surprise, but fortunately much of it was used on the Bearweres, everybody else pulled back and sucked down a few potions of Extra-Healing apiece.

I like a challenge and I've been forced to pay a lot more attention to my tactics by IA, but I don't like tedium, which seems to be the final conclusion to most of the IA battles that I've fought so far, as I try and wait out the damn combat and spell protections. Notably Gaius, Sorcerous Amon, Sorcerous Amin, the Pirate Coordinator, the Warden and the Elite Huntress (?) at the beginning of the Planar Prison. The mage always seems to be the last guy standing, which seems very odd.

I have no problem with one or two of the serious combat protections (like the Horrid Rakhasa's Absolute Immunities), but past that I start having issues of play balance, especially since most of them are used by fighter-mages with nice damage resistances. Improved Haste has proven to be far more essential than it was in the regular game, but still most of my combats last far longer the spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.