Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wing Buffet
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Caedwyr
Isn't Wing Buffet a physical attack? Ie: the dragon hits you with its wings.
leonidas
QUOTE(Caedwyr @ May 14 2007, 02:29 PM) *

Isn't Wing Buffet a physical attack? Ie: the dragon hits you with its wings.

Yes it is, spell shield shouldn't protect against it, but it does.
Sikret
In BG2, Wing buffect has been implemented as a spell (the spell's file name is spin695).

If the throwing back effect was added to the dragon's claw, then every hit with the claw would have the throwing effect which is not intended. The only alternate way is to give a second natural weapon to the dragon and code him to change weapon when he wants to attack with the wings. Its drawback will be that the attack will only affect one single creature (which is not intended either).

EDIT: Please, don't hijack Mongerman's journal with off-topic posts, everyone (especially those who don't even play IA)! Thanks in advance.
Caedwyr
Playing around with the power level of the spells might help with this. If for example you set the power level of the wing buffet to zero, it should bypass Spell Trap if I understand the mechanics correctly. I'm uncertain on how it would interact with something like physical resistances.
devSin
IIRC, the spell is defined as a magic attack (secondary type 4). (It was probably a simple copy/paste error.) Just change the secondary type to offensive damage (or maybe disabling or battlefield; whatever seems most appropriate).
Sikret
QUOTE(Caedwyr @ May 14 2007, 10:49 PM) *
Playing around with the power level of the spells might help with this. If for example you set the power level of the wing buffet to zero, it should bypass Spell Trap if I understand the mechanics correctly. I'm uncertain on how it would interact with something like physical resistances.

Wing Buffet's power level is already zero. It has nothing to do with power level. (And we are not talking about Spell Trap; it's Spell Shield)

devsin's solution, however, looks to be the correct path, though it still opens the problem of what secondary type should be assigned to the Wing Buffet spell not to create new problems.One may even argue that Wing buffet being absorbed and blocked by spellshield is not a bug at all (though, I personally tend to agree that it looks like a bug, albeit a minor one).

I have asked thetruth to perform a few tests for me regarding spellshield spell for now. I will decide after receiving his report.

Ardanis
it still opens the problem of what secondary type should be assigned to the Wing Buffet spell not to create new problems

"0 - none". There is absolutely no need for any kind of sec type, it's not even a magical ability.
devSin
Yeah, you can set it to 0 or just pick one (I can't remember which one I use). There shouldn't be any effect from this other than not having Spell Shield block it -- secondary type has very few implications, and then only for a small handful of the available types (spell, specific, and combat protections for the true magic attacks, illusionary protections for true seeing and similar spells, and magic attack for spell shield). Offensive damage spells are deflected by the ToB Cloak of Mirroring, so I'd suggest 0 or disabling (11, I think) -- both will give the same result.

I think there are a few other spells where the type is erroneously set to magic attack (possibly dragon breath weapons, but I can't remember). So until Sikret decides whether to change them or leave them as is, always memorize Spell Shield! :)
thetruth
QUOTE(devSin @ May 15 2007, 06:25 PM) *

So until Sikret decides whether to change them or leave them as is, always memorize Spell Shield! smile.gif

Even if he doesn't change it though, it's difficult to exploit this immunity. IA's Dragons tend to cast many Breach and Ruby Ray spells.
Sikret
Changing Wing Buffet's secondary type will solve the problem with Spell Shield, but it is not enough as a fix, because it will create a new bug: Wing Buffet can then be blocked by SI:abjuration. It can't be blocked by SI:abjuration in the vanilla game exactly because of its secondary type. If the secondary type is changed (to fix the problem with Spell Shield) we will have a new bug and Wing buffet will then be blocked by SI:abjuration. Hence, a complete fix should include changing both its primary type and secondary type. The fix is now implemented to IA for the next release.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.