Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaitans need for help :)
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Shaitan
Hi!

I recently decided to try out the F/M, so now I've done most of the minor quests and I've taken Nalia's keep. That combination between the gem golem and Torgal really took some time, but I prevailed... Anyway as a matter of fact: I don't really have any experience with a F/M or a mage... I rarely take a mage with me at all, but as of IA I really need one hence my newbietroubles...

Now I'm in the middle of the druids groove, and these spiders guarding Belm really puzzle me. Especially the Ghostspider gets me every time. I really could use some hints and tips on how to fight those creeps.

My party is on level 10-12 with an amount of XP around 1,05-1,25 mio. Anomen is the only char. who have reached more than 1,2 mio xp.

My party is this:
Me elf F/M (dual longswords/bastard sword)
Jaheira (dual club/scimitar)
Minsc Berzerker (Twohanded swords & Halbards)
Anomen (Hammer & shield)
Kivan (longbow)
Nalia (shortbow)

With hope for help

Regards Shaitan
Sikret
Have Anomen memorize Free Action Spells. Free Action (to protect you against the Improved Web) and Chaotic Commands (to protect you from Vexing Whispers) will make the battle much easier. The green scrolls of protection from poison (available in temples) can also be helpful. Others may have other and better tips. Good luck!
Shaitan
Ah I forgot about the CC, that spell always come in handy! Unfortunately I'm on work, so I'll have to wait to test it....

Regards
thetruth

What Sikret said + you could make the Spiders attack first your character with best AC.

He could be Anomen: best Armor and shield + PfEvil + I.Invisibility (from Rings of Air Control either) + Girdle of Piercing.

These spiders don't have the best THACO.

Also note the some of them are immune to missile dmg (Ghost spiders f.e.) so make Kivan attack those not immune.

Finally some of them don't have MR. Nalia could fight them with spells and even dominate some of them.
Raven
The ghost spider is the biggest threat because it summons more spiders if you don't kill it quickly (this is true whenever you fight a group of spiders - the ghost spiders will start summoning more of the others).

I remember in my game the way I beat Sikret's spiders was to have my solo FMC buff massively and then fight them hand to hand. I didn't bother with any offensive spells. I guess this is one battle where a solo character actually has an easier time because there are no weak party members to protect.

If you want more xp before trying some of the tougher battles/quests I recommend completing the chapter 3 quests if you haven't already done so as they yield a huge amount of quest xp and aren't too difficult. You can then just delay going to spellhold until you finish all the other quests you want to. I know this doesn't fit the story very well though unsure.gif
sturmvogel
I just tried that same battle last night and had to reload as I couldn't inflict enough damage on the damn ghost spider to matter. I'm about the same level as Shaitan although my party composition is a bit different:

Me R/C (hammer and shield)
Keldorn (Hallowed Redemeer)
Jahiera (Gnasher and shield)
Yoshio (short bow)
Xan F/M (Moonblade)
Kelsey (sling)

I just can't seem to reconcile myself to the idea that I'm going to get hit anyways and dual-wield so I tend to use my shields as much as possible, especially the Shield of Harmony which will block the Vexing Whispers and other annoying mind-control spells. I'm really appreciating Keldorn's armor's Free Action and his True Sights as it means one less spell to cast and the damn Whisper Spider's invisibility is neutralized.
My character was all buffed up with Holy Power, etc., but I just couldn't seem to hit the Ghost Spider often enough to matter. Jahiera had summoned up two Greater Bearwares (from Divine Remix) and even they didn't seem to help much although they have enough M/R to survive the Imp. Web spells more often than not. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have focused more on killing the other spiders early and saving the Ghost Spider for a group assault at the end. I was trying to knock him off early by concentrating myself and Keldorn on him to prevent more summons, but no joy.

I'll try this one again once Jahiera comes back and I beat Galvrey.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.