Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Longer Road seems to be incompatible
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Arkain
Greetings.

Well it appears as if TLR is incompatible with IA. I just tested the issue which was brought up in my other thread, WK level 3, that is.

(SPOILER ALERT)

TLR adds a quest to WK level 3 which needs to be done if one wants to redeem Jon (Irenicus... funny thing: I got used to use the term "Jon" rather than "Irenicus" which is used during most parts of the game o.O). So out of curiosity I just cheated myself to level 3 to see whether it will work or not. It doesn't. Normally you enter level 3 and Ybdiel (one NPC associated with the quest) spawns just near the portal which leads to Yakmann's... uh... camp. In the camp you can find one of the three items needed to fullfil the quest. The Water of Serenity isn't there. Later on you encounter Abaia (iirc that's the name of the bebilith) in one of the fiend rooms. He didn't spawn. I didn't really wait though, so I've got no idea whether he would if I just waited long enough. Once he actually never spawned and I had to CLUA him in. So maybe it's somewhat buggy. Whatever. The last item is in Aesgareth's possession. You can either get it off his body or gamble with him to gain it as a prize of his little "game". The dialog option wasn't given and it wasn't part of the loot. So I guess the quest's kind of... finished as you need both items to gain the third one.

(/SPOILER)

Now, I've got some questions for Sikret:

1. What exactly did you do to WK level 3? It seems quite strange for me that the NPC(s) isn't (aren't) spawning if you just changed some scripts, maybe added some creatures and that's about it. Did you do something, um, "greater"? As I said I just cheated myself through it the fast way, to check if the "important" parts work, so I've got no idea what awaits the player there.

2. What do you think would happen if I ignored the rule of installing IA last and installed TLR afterwards?
This appears to be a possible solution, imho. What the TLR does is adding Jon as a possible NPC along with lots of dialogue and this quest. Some portraits items (books about the elves and some items such as Jon's mask or those which are associated with the quest. That's it, iirc) are added as well (like the demon in WK level 2, Vongoethe etc.) but that's about it. So it might be no big deal for IA... maybe?
I might try this if you wish - although it would surely be a better idea if I was in ToB already and had Jon with me (to see if either the whole mod or just the WK part is incompatible). As of now I'm in the middle of chapter 2 (desperately trying to find a way to defeat those pesky improved boss enemies of yours - such as the shadelord. You really did a good job on making the enemies harder ^^) so it might take some time until I'm there... wink.gif

Interesting fact: Aesgareth (and Yakmann, iirc) kept his TLR portrait btw, which is odd if one thinks about how he kept nothing else which was part of the mod. If this matters.
Sikret
I think the problem is caused by the fact the you didn't play TLR normally and have cheated yourself into WK. You even implied that you were not actually in TOB (but rather in SOA) which means that BALDUR.BCS was running in your game instead of BALDUR25.BCS. I think some of the variables in TLR have not been set properly and that's most probably because of the fact that you had cheated rather than playing it normally. It's also probable that TLR has some variables to set in other areas such as pocketplane or other TOB areas which have not been set properly, because you have not been there. Perhaps Irenicus has some dialogues in other areas and some variables need to be set during theose dialogues. My changes to WK should not have normally omitted any of those creatures and items from your game. Play both mods together (but play without cheat) and then report to me the result.
Arkain
Heh. I thought about the same afterwards. I guess you're right, as I've just read the readme again: "Extensive New Quest in the WK. It starts in the demon maze layer as soon as you enter. You have to have Irenicus in the party when you first enter the maze to start the quest."
Well, as I had something like "don't enter WK level 3 before you have him in the party" in my memory I thought the quest would start if I did so and thus he wouldn't be influenced by it. So my first thought about compatibility may be true. I'll report what happens then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.