Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inventory management and lack of GP
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
I hate inventory management. In the beginning, I gave myself one bag of holding to lessen that problem. I also promptly bought containers whenever I could. Unfortunately, I am spoiled with the use of bottomless containers. I made it to the Underdark and my containers and inventories were full up. I sold a lot of stuff and seemed to get pennies for it. On the other hand, one of the scrolls I wanted was 12,000 GP! It seems that anything that is very desirable is extremely expensive.

So, I have several questions. Why are bottomless containers not recommended? I have a fast computer and doubt that it will be slowed by this. I want it to make the game easier in that I can store ingredients for upgrades that I may never be able to afford. My next question is does money start pouring in later - how many upgrades can we reasonably expect to do? It was my intention to forge the judgment day sword and face the mighty demon prince. However, I begin to wonder if I will ever have enough money for it and whether the forging of this sword would be the most efficient use of my funds even if I could afford it. I invite comment on that.
Baronius
I want it to make the game easier in that I can store ingredients for upgrades that I may never be able to afford.

Several places have drawers and chests. They aren't there only to be emptied. smile.gif However, I don't know if many items must be kept from SoA to ToB -- this might be the only problem.
Sikret
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ May 2 2007, 06:25 PM) *

So, I have several questions. Why are bottomless containers not recommended? I have a fast computer and doubt that it will be slowed by this.

If you have a fast computer, install Bottomless Bag of Holding on your own risk (i.e. do not return later and complain that the game is slowed.)

The other way is to do what Baronius suggested. Keep some items inside your stronghold as long as you have not collected the rest of the ingredients. Once you have everything for an item upgrade, you can pick everything and go to Cromwell.

I have also added a new bag of holding to the game which is available in chapter 2 or in chapter 6 if you can just find it.

I want it to make the game easier in that I can store ingredients for upgrades that I may never be able to afford. My next question is does money start pouring in later - how many upgrades can we reasonably expect to do? It was my intention to forge the judgment day sword and face the mighty demon prince. However, I begin to wonder if I will ever have enough money for it and whether the forging of this sword would be the most efficient use of my funds even if I could afford it. I invite comment on that.

Deciding about item upgrades and saving money for them is part of the challenge and style. Some players may decide to go for less expensive ones and some other may prefer to accept the risk to save money for the bigger ones. Think about items you want to forge and decide over a longterm financial strategy.

rbeverjr
If the only criteria for not having the bottomless bag is a slowing game, I'll install it. This archaic program doesn't have graphics to suck CPU/GPU power. I can't far see a Core2 duo at 3.1 GHz having a problem. If it does, I can probably run stable at 3.6 GHz.
Baronius
This archaic program doesn't have graphics to suck CPU/GPU power. I can't far see a Core2 duo at 3.1 GHz having a problem.

It has little to do with processing power. I haven't seen a bottomless bag slowing down BG2 in practice, but if it does, it's definitely related to memory management (IE must handle too many objects during a determined time). Infinity Engine wasn't prepared to access tens of thousands of item objects per second while properly performing its other duties as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.