Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Bug" thread + miscellaneous nitpickery
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
leonidas
So, in the spirit of pedantry, I thought i'd start a bug thread, because some of this stuff was bothering me.

Firstly, Brennan Risling's thac0 is too high, the poor bastard only hits backstab on criticals and had trouble killing a skeleton (i know thieves suck, but this seemed odd).

The description for the circlet of golden flowers mentions an ability called "critical mass curing," but the item does no such thing.

Raamilat, the drow f/m in Suldanesselar, can't use scrolls. The emote appears, but he carries on attacking straight away. Everyone else I fought was fixed by 4.1.

Even if you have all the components for the truth long sword, cromwell won't make it (cespanar does, however).

Not sure if this one is by design, but captain egeissag has infinite (i think, at least 20) absolute immunity spells, is unbreachable and un-lower resistance-able, and is only killable via lots of luck. In fact, come to think of it, there are a few enemies that dispelling magic (ruby ray, breach etc) doesn't work on for no apparent reason. There was a bunch, but atm only draconis in dragon form springs to mind.

That is all.
thetruth
QUOTE(leonidas @ Apr 22 2007, 01:59 PM) *

Firstly, Brennan Risling's thac0 is too high, the poor bastard only hits backstab on criticals and had trouble killing a skeleton (i know thieves suck, but this seemed odd).

Yes I remember that he missed a lot in my game too.
I don't know his THACO is correct for his level. And I don't know why for example the Rune Assassins (that have a lower level) don't miss often their target and Brennan instead does.

Maybe he doesn't get the bonus to THACO for attacking invisible?

Even if you have all the components for the truth long sword, cromwell won't make it (cespanar does, however).

Really? Nooo, my favourite sword. tongue.gif

Not sure if this one is by design, but captain egeissag has infinite (i think, at least 20) absolute immunity spells, is unbreachable and un-lower resistance-able, and is only killable via lots of luck

I don't remember this, though Sikret has changed his script after I had tested him and I don't remember if I tested the final version.

PS: Maybe Sikret it would be useful for you to have this thread pinned up, so that players can report similar "bugs".

leonidas
QUOTE(thetruth @ Apr 22 2007, 12:16 PM) *

PS: Maybe Sikret it would be useful for you to have this thread pinned up, so that players can report similar "bugs".

Heh, indeed.
Sikret
Thanks for the reports. leonidas!

QUOTE(leonidas @ Apr 22 2007, 04:29 PM) *

Just tested and his Thaco is correct for his level.
The description for the circlet of golden flowers mentions an ability called "critical mass curing," but the item does no such thing.

I need to test it. Will do it today.
Raamilat, the drow f/m in Suldanesselar, can't use scrolls. The emote appears, but he carries on attacking straight away. Everyone else I fought was fixed by 4.1.

Does he attack instead of using his scroll or does he quaf potion? This is an important question for me. Please test him again leonidas (and thetruth as well).

I confirm this bug and just fixed it in my local version of the mod.
Not sure if this one is by design, but captain egeissag has infinite (i think, at least 20) absolute immunity spells

Yes, there is a typo in his script. Just fixed it.

, is unbreachable and un-lower resistance-able,

No, he just casts SI:abjuration.

and is only killable via lots of luck. In fact, come to think of it, there are a few enemies that dispelling magic (ruby ray, breach etc) doesn't work on for no apparent reason. There was a bunch, but atm only draconis in dragon form springs to mind.

I don't confirm this either. Just looked again at Draconis and didn't find any such immunities on him.
Rakshasas are immune to 7th and lower level spells which makes them immune to Ruby Ray and Breach (though not to Dispel magic). Liches are immune to Breach but not to Ruby Ray and Dispel magic. The demon prince in JD plot is immune to ruby ray and breach but not to dispel magic. The only personage who is immune to dispel magic as well as 8th level or lower spells is the main personage in the Epic Divine Encounter, which you should naturally expect such a ultra powerful being to have amazing immunties.

leonidas
QUOTE(Sikret @ Apr 22 2007, 12:34 PM) *

Rakshasas are immune to 7th and lower level spells which makes them immune to Ruby Ray and Breach (though not to Dispel magic). Liches are immune to Breach but not to Ruby Ray and Dispel magic. The demon prince in JD plot is immune to ruby ray and breach but not to dispel magic. The only personage who is immune to dispel magic as well as 8th level or lower spells is the main personage in the Epic Divine Encounter, which you should naturally expect such a ultra powerful being to have amazing immunties.

Ye, didn't even try to breach the epic divine guy. Although, admittedly, i need to play the encounters again to be sure, but what i'm talking about is casting a spell and getting no feedback in the combat text. For example, when I cast a breach on a character with SI: abjuration, it usually says "spell ineffective," or if I was casting it on a lich or another char with immunity up to level 7. But with draconis neither ruby ray or breach caused any feedback, and neither dispelled buffs. Same with egeissag, his SI: abjuration had run out at this point and he was chain casting AI, with breach doing sweet FA.
thetruth

OK tested Ramilaat:

- First of all he casts stoneskins and uses a potion in the same round (he does it only once though)

- The message "quaffs potion" appears more than 5 times though he has only 5 potions in his inventory, meaning that sometimes he doesn't drink actually a potion.

- Leonidas is right about the "uses scroll" message. He has only 4 scrolls of PfMWs but after seeing the message I CTRL-Qed him and all the 4 scrolls where still there.
Problem is that he uses his scrolls only late in the battle and only if he stays alive enough time (had killed him rather quickly in my game).
Maybe it would be better to script him first to use a PfMW scroll and then to start drinking potions.

- He casts Hardiness in the first rounds of the battle, though I believe that it would be better to use first all of his Stoneskins before using it.
Sikret
QUOTE(leonidas @ Apr 22 2007, 05:21 PM) *
Although, admittedly, i need to play the encounters again to be sure, but what i'm talking about is casting a spell and getting no feedback in the combat text. For example, when I cast a breach on a character with SI: abjuration, it usually says "spell ineffective," or if I was casting it on a lich or another char with immunity up to level 7. But with draconis neither ruby ray or breach caused any feedback, and neither dispelled buffs. Same with egeissag, his SI: abjuration had run out at this point and he was chain casting AI, with breach doing sweet FA.

With "Spell Shield" active, your Ruby Ray or Breach can be absorbed without any message (Draconis for example, has Spell Shield). Draconis also has Globe of invulnearbilty and spell turning which along with the spell shield can absorb your first three Ruby Ray spells. And sometimes you just don't get the message "spell ineffective" without any apparent reason. Try casting a globe of invulnerability on your character and target him with low level spells. Sometimes you have the message "Spell ineffective" and sometimes you don't have it.

Sikret
QUOTE(thetruth @ Apr 22 2007, 05:33 PM) *

- First of all he casts stoneskins and uses a potion in the same round (he does it only once though)

This can be fixed easily.
- Leonidas is right about the "uses scroll" message. He has only 4 scrolls of PfMWs but after seeing the message I CTRL-Qed him and all the 4 scrolls where still there.

My main question remained unanswered, thetruth! What does he do immediately after the "use scroll" message appears? Does he attack or what?
thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ Apr 22 2007, 03:16 PM) *

My main question remained unanswered, thetruth! What does he do immediately after the "use scroll" message appears? Does he attack or what?

Attacks immediately.
Though I don't understand why the problem was fixed for the others F/Ms and not for him.
Sikret
Ok, I will send you two fix files within a few minutes via PM (one for Raamilat and one for Captain egeissag) and will ask you to test both of them again. Thanks again for your help.
leonidas
QUOTE(Sikret @ Apr 22 2007, 12:34 PM) *

Just tested and his Thaco is correct for his level.

Hmmm, this fraps' clip illustrates the problem. A high level thief like brennan should be hitting his backstab every single time, instead he misses them all.

thetruth
QUOTE(leonidas @ Apr 23 2007, 02:26 AM) *

Hmmm, this fraps' clip illustrates the problem. A high level thief like brennan should be hitting his backstab every single time, instead he misses them all.

Heh I watched your clip; it is indeed strange especially when he attacks invisible.
It's like he doesn't get any bonus to THACO for attacking invisible.
Noelle
Hi guys

Firstly, would like to say thanks! for the great mod. The previous tactics I used can't seem to work. The enemies are too smart for those I guess (guarded compound guys on the 2nd floor won't follow me downstairs one at a time anymore ;o))

So far, it's been fun, altho the reload button is probably spoilt by now from overusage. ;op

But anyway, 2 issues that I wanted to highlight or seek clarification on :-

1. The spawning assassins in the slaver ship - No xp recieved for each kill?
2. Does feeblemind work as it used to? I feebleminded the shadow dragon, (cheesy way to do it yes, but took a long long time to do) but instead of him standing there for me to hit, he turned red and wiped out the party.

Thanks again to all!
Sikret
Welcome to BWL, Noelle!

I'm glad that you are enjoying playing the mod.

QUOTE(Noelle @ Apr 24 2007, 07:48 AM) *
But anyway, 2 issues that I wanted to highlight or seek clarification on :-

1. The spawning assassins in the slaver ship - No xp recieved for each kill?

No XP for assassins, because players could use the cheesy way to stay idle for killing more assassins to gain extra XP. The additional XP for the increased difficulty is actually added to Captain Haegan and other people inside the ship (to compensate the additional diffculty the assassins will cause).
2. Does feeblemind work as it used to? I feebleminded the shadow dragon, (cheesy way to do it yes, but took a long long time to do) but instead of him standing there for me to hit, he turned red and wiped out the party.

The Feeblemind spell has not been nerfed, but now dragons have better immunities than they had in the original game.

Noelle
Many thanks for the quick reply Sikret

With regard to this "The Feeblemind spell has not been nerfed, but now dragons have better immunities than they had in the original game."

For the shadow dragon that was part of another mod, can't really remember which one, darker shadows or something like that, I tried it twice and both times when the feeblemind hit, the dragon turned red and whacked my party.

Anyway no matter, will tackle him later on. Tks again for th clarifications!
Sikret
Good news: thetruth reported that my fixfiles have successfully solved both Raamilat and Captain egeissag's problems. As long as you have not entered Suldanesselar, the current version of the mod (IA v4.1) is fine for you. I will release IA v4.2 as soon as possible and you won't need to start a new game after installing it (but to fix Raamilat's bug, you should install IA v4.2 before going to the Suldanesselar). The bug in Raamilat's battle is not a critical one. He just doesn't use his scrolls in the current version of the mod. So, even if you have entered Suldanesselar, it's not a serious problem. You can just win the battle a bit more easily in V4.1 than in V4.2.
Sikret

I fixed this as well. Thanks again for the report.

Romulas
QUOTE(Sikret @ Apr 22 2007, 05:08 AM) *

With "Spell Shield" active, your Ruby Ray or Breach can be absorbed without any message (Draconis for example, has Spell Shield). Draconis also has Globe of invulnearbilty and spell turning which along with the spell shield can absorb your first three Ruby Ray spells.

Sikret,

Did you mean the 6th level spell globe of invulnerability? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that protect against level 1 to 4 spells, so how would it "absorb" a ruby ray? I am alittle confused.

Romulas
Sikret
A Ruby Ray spell may be consumed to remove the Globe of Invulnerability. I didn't mean that the globe will make ruby ray ineffective, but just that one of your ruby rays may be consumed to remove it instead of removing (say) SI or another protective effect. Each time you cast Ruby Ray, it only removes one effect.
thetruth

The problem with Ruby Ray is that (as stated in the description) it will always remove the highest level of spell protection on the target (when 2 protection spells are of the same level then the choice is random).

For example the target has Spell Truning + Spell Deflection + Spell Trap + Minor Globe of Invulnerability + SI: Abjuration.

We want to remove his SI: Abjuration in order to dispel his combat spell protections like Stoneskin or PfMWs.

Unfortunately 1 Ruby Ray is not enough. Actually we will need 4 of them.

The first 3 will remove the S.Trap,Spell Turning,S.Deflection.
The fourth will remove the SI and a 5th Ruby Ray would remove his M.G.of Invulnerability.

That's how it works.

Of course this can be exploited by modders like Sikret who want to make our life difficult tongue.gif , but fortunately it can also be exploited by the players wink.gif .

I hope you understand now why a Fighter-Mage is a so powerful class wink.gif .
Raven
QUOTE(thetruth @ Apr 26 2007, 01:42 PM) *

For example the target has Spell Truning + Spell Deflection + Spell Trap + Minor Globe of Invulnerability + SI: Abjuration.

Am I right that if that was a Globe of Invulnerability instead of Minor Globe then Ruby Ray would remove this before SI too as the Globe is 6th level, meaning you would need actually 5 Ruby Rays to get rid of SI?
thetruth

Yes exactly. In that case you would need 5 Ruby Rays in order to remove the SI.
Romulas
THanks for the insight on these spell. In all the times that I have played the game I have never really gotten into the defensive type spell, as I said in an earlier post I mainly selected and played my sorcerers as battle mages, for this run I am selecting a better mix.

As I am finding out it is defineately better to have two mages/sorcerers if you want to have any chance of knocking down the enemies protections before your fighters get waxed. Even with 2 it can still take along time to get all those spells off.

Romulas
Sikret
I released IA v4.2; so, I unpinned and closed this topic. Thanks again everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.