Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few glitches I encountered
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Silverstar
Well, I spent my two-weeks half-year holiday playign BG1+ToTSC with TuTu (first time) as a Wild Mage, finished it, and I enjoyed it soo much I decided to import my character into BG2 and continue playing with IA V3.0!

I was lvl 9 at the start of BG2, I did Trademeet, Thieves Stronghold, and Slavers Quest, and headed to Asylum prematurely with a party of lvl 11-13 or so.

WARNING:SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD!

Lady Galvena's pet wizard was painful. Really painful. I had no way to dispel his protections and all I could do was grittingteeth against his many deadly spells, hoping for good saving throws, gulping potions and retreating till he ran out of spells. This is also the same for Perth The Adept Wizard, but I was prepared well that time. (spell immunities, spell shield, spell turning etc. to waste his spells)

Asylum was great, I already had Improved Asylum mod, and I am glad to say that it is %100 compatible with IA's improvements. Although, the Improved Asylum puts TWO liches in the small library room (in which there is a most precious Finger of Death sroll awaits!) and IA further puts a nasty feline monster AND a Coin Golem there, so that was REALLY too exciting (and WAY harder than it is intended to be, I guess). Luckily, I managed to disable and kill the liches with spamming Death Fogs, and we were able to attract only the cat monster, laeving the dreadful Golem to the last.

I also managed to kill my very first Gem Golem! I thought they were pretty much unbeatable, but with right tactics they can be destroyed! My next goal will be killing an Elemental Golem. (but seriously, I looked at its statistics after being killed countless times, when challenging the Glove's Guardian...just wow...how can one beat it? Imprisonment seems to be the only sane solution, but I fear it may even be immune to it!)

Anyway, here are a few glitches I encoutnered in Brynlaw and Asylum:

Galvena's Pet Wizard, he had very cool spell selection, and was very smart! But...he casted a Tenser's Transformation at some time, I thought he ran out of spells, BUT then he casted a few more flame arrows and then casted Tenser's trans again...I do not think this is normally legal or doable, you can not cast spells after a Tenser's trans, righto? I did not dispel the first trans, by the way. sleep.gif

A yuanti-mage in Asylum casted a Greater Malison on my party. Now, this is the standart opening spell of most IA mages, but then the mage DIED all of a sudden...there was no damage, no effect, I did absolutely nothing, he just casted a GM and then died.

Yuanti Mage-casts Greater Malison
Yuanti Mage-Death

This was creepy. Can you explain it, Sikret? closedeyes.gif

Next glitch happened when I challenged Asylum Jon Irenicus. I guess you modified him too, as he was very powerful, or maybe he was using a generic script? He never was able to cast that many spells in my old games at that battle. He spawned clones as usual, and then blasted Horrid Wiltings, which severely hurted my unsuspecting party. He then even casted a Disintegrate! This was all too dangerous, but a lucky save was made.

Problem is, I casted an Emotion to drop the Evil Clones after Imoen's Greater Malison, and this dropped Irenicus too! He just lay down there....I know he is unkillable at this point for the sake of plot, so we all bashed him freely, he took many beating and, ofcourse, always stood at near death. This was not very realistic, or fun, to say the least. I dispelled his emotion, he stood up, kept casting more spells, we disrupted his spells, and then...when he ran out of spells he started meleeing! 'Die all of you, DIE!' this was rather hillarious but I did not laugh as such a bug severely stopped the plot. He was supposed to talk and escape away, with killing the inmates, as you all well know. I reloaded, and did not use Emotion this time. He escaped as usual, but used a Power Word:Kill to finish off one of my wounded characters as a parting gift:The bastard! BUT I really liked the AI, this was very in-character for him, and yet more reason to hate his guts!

So, was original Irenicus immune to Emotion? This Irenicus I fought was not, it was senseless, but also caused a nasty bug which stopped the plot.

What do you say, Sikret about these? rolleyes.gif
thetruth

A yuanti-mage in Asylum casted a Greater Malison on my party. Now, this is the standart opening spell of most IA mages, but then the mage DIED all of a sudden...there was no damage, no effect, I did absolutely nothing, he just casted a GM and then died.

Yuanti Mage-casts Greater Malison
Yuanti Mage-Death

Were you fighting the group of Yuan-tis near the big trap of the Assylum ?

Because sometimes the Yuan-tis there, trying to attack you and when their way is blocked, they go from the side of the trap crushing themselves.

So, was original Irenicus immune to Emotion? This Irenicus I fought was not, it was senseless, but also caused a nasty bug which stopped the plot.

I don't know if in IA3 Assylum's Irenicus was modified but I am quite sure that the original Irenicus was not immune to Emotion and many other effects as well.I remember stunning him with C.Fury and doing MUCH damage to him (of course he is unkillable as you said) before he gets teleported away.

Probably Emotion "broke" his script here.

My next goal will be killing an Elemental Golem. (but seriously, I looked at its statistics after being killed countless times, when challenging the Glove's Guardian...just wow...how can one beat it?

Pure melee here is your only choice Silverstar wink.gif
(good THACO, many ApR/I.Haste, potions of STR/THACO boosting etc.)

Sikret
Nice to read from you again, Silverstar!

1- Yes, there was a slight glitch in Vadek's script in v3, which is fixed in v4. (Vadek is the name of Lady Galvena's wizard as you surely remember). However, the battle is now much more difficult because you cannot retreat from the prison once the battle begins wink.gif , Lady Galvena is also improved further.

2- No, I have not touched the assylum's Irenicus.

3- What you said about the Yuan-Ti was very funny. I'm sure I have not touched them in IA. Since you have tons of other mods installed, one can never be sure what is going on in your game laugh.gif .

Cheers

Silverstar
Thanks for fast replies!

Were you fighting the group of Yuan-tis near the big trap of the Assylum ?

Because sometimes the Yuan-tis there, trying to attack you and when their way is blocked, they go from the side of the trap crushing themselves.

Yes it was that Yuan-ti mage near the big nasty killer trap, but he did nothing of that sort, the mage just casted a GM and then died instantly, right infront of my eyes, as if that spell drained him to the extent of killing him! tongue.gif Please correct me if I am wrong, but I never saw a Yuanti-mage casting GM before, so I thought he was using a better script from IA, and maybe, somehow the script ordered him to die:I can not explain it. I wonder if other Yuan-ti mages are also affected like this, other mages in the Asylum was dropped uncouncious by a well placed emotion spell before they were able to cast their spells:Ofcourse, I just could not let them get up after that! biggrin.gif

1- Yes, there was a slight glitch in Vadek's script in v3, which is fixed in v4. (Vadek is the name of Lady Galvena's wizard as you surely remember). However, the battle is now much more difficult because you cannot retreat from the prison once the battle begins , Lady Galvena is also improved further.

So it is not a mod conflict, glad to know that! I hated vadek, he was tough....too tough for an unprepared party, I had no idea he was improved, it was a total suprise for me, but still it was fun, and costed me nearly half-an hour and 4 reloads to finally beat him.

Once I managed to kill him, but then three of my party was dead, thanks to Dragon Breath, I visited Umberlee temple, and when I tried to return to Festhall to collect their items on the ground, the Festhall was unreachable, it was closed, with all my good items in it, so I had to reload! wacko.gif

One more question, my favourite tactic against mages&liches is spamming Death Fog, which hurts them each round, disrupts their spells and kills them fast. I casted TWO Death Fogs when fighting Vadek, I knew my party was going to be hurt as well thanks to tight prison area, but I guessed it was well worth it. BUT, for some reason Vadek was not affected from Death Fog. Why? There were no 'Spell Ineffective' or 'Magic Resistance' messages in the combat log, he just stayed there right in the thick, acidic clouds and was unhurt. Did you give him that immunity, or is it something else I do not know?

2- No, I have not touched the assylum's Irenicus.

3- What you said about the Yuan-Ti was very funny. I'm sure I have not touched them in IA. Since you have tons of other mods installed, one can never be sure what is going on in your game

You say you did not touch them, but they were more skilled in spell casting from the last times I remember, Asylum Irenicus was a wimp before, never casted ADHWs or Disintegrate or PW:Kill in my previous games surely, or I am getting old and losing my edge, I let them cast those spells? (please note that my party is lower level than what I usually have in Asylum, for the sake of saving Immy. Now that I also played BG1, I have a deeper bond with her! cool.gif ) So Irenicus was using a general high lvl mage script of IA? (my guess) Same applies for the Yuanti-mage, they did not know GM before.

I agree Yuanti mage bug was rather funny, he died instantly when his GM spell started flying towards us. I was REALLY suprised. Did he just have a heart-attack? laugh.gif

Sikret
1- The fact that the Yuan-Ti mage has cast GM shows that he also uses one of IA's scripts, but the fact that he died immediately after casting the spell doesn't fit with any of IA's scripts. The only two possible explanations are that either he had triggered the death trap nearby or one of your other mods has also added something to his script.

2- Yes, some of the improved mages in IA have a few additional immunties in order to block some well-known tactics and exploits. Immunity to Death Fog is one of them. But Incendiary Cloud will still work against them wink.gif . (It's an 8th level spell after all.)

Mordokai
What I love most is the immunity to lower resistance. Makes certain critters tought. Well, toughter anyway tongue.gif I'm sure Silverstar is going to like that little candy biggrin.gif I don't know if certain lord was present in the maze bellow Spellhold in IA3, but let me tel you Silver, you're going to like him tongue.gif And Vadek and Galvena are nicely enhanced, but beatable relatively easily, if you use the right tactic.
Silverstar
Ahh I should have guessed, nice work about the Death Fog immunity, but thank you for not applying this to liches! I killed the Lich in Crooked Crane as soon as I hit lvl 12 via Death Fogs, I needed DayStar badly, as in Asylum, Bodhi and her crew frequently visits thanks to UB mod, it is dangerous, but one blast from DayStar completely drives them away for the time being! (and is so cool too!) tongue.gif Azuredge also helps.

One more question, I noticed your mod is not compatible with tactic's improved undead. Improved Undead casts many spells, shadows cast blindness, spook, doom, etc. while greater undead (greater mummies, skeleton warriors, etc) were able to cast Holy Words and Wail of the Banshees. It surely was exciting and more challenging, but I guess your own scripts overwrote the improved undead ones? Maybe? Good thing too, actually, I did not want to see and challenge Skeleton Lords capable of casting spells! blink.gif Thanks, they are scary enough!

I had great fun playing with your mod, as you can see my Asylum adventures were very thrilling, with the combination of Improved Asylum's, Improved Anvil's and UB's improvements, I really had shivers and most exciting moments! But I survived, barely escaping the Asylum...gained the Slayer Change ability via that scary dream, but that is it for now as I had to leave home for school....ahh I look forward to playing your mod again! Thank you for everything you have done so far! smile.gif

EDIT for thetruth's post:

Oh, and thetruth, yes I already encountered that certain lord in Asylum, I knew instantly he was something serious. (when he talks about Bodhi as another weak vampireling....) my party was at pretty bad shape, fatigued and out of spells, so I had to...'bribe' him....sorry, reloading to prepare and buff heavily did not sound like proper RPing for me at that time. I do not regret my decision, I was SCARED! Anyway, I will most certainly tackle him in my next runs, when I have more levels and a better prepared party.

Ah, and immunity to Lower Resistance? GASP! Who? What? Those new, spiffy golems? Oh don't tell, I will find out! smile.gif
Demivrgvs
Isn't IA compatible with Improved Undead component? Are you sure?
Cause if it's so i've to reinstall everyting!! bigcry.gif
Silverstar
Well, I had Improved Undead installed, and then I got IA V3.0, and regular undead are no longer that improved in my game. No big loss though, why do you wish to re-install everything?
Demivrgvs
I was afraid of incompatibilities...but maybe IA overwrites Tactics, if it really changes undeads at all.
I've just escaped Irenicus dungeon, haven't played BG for more than a year, and i'm really looking forward to try IA's opponents cause everyone says they're much better than tactics ones which i already loved (except maybe for their multiple cheats who forced me not to think with brain but to think as a powerplayer!).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.