Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TorGal just will not die
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
OTG
It's not even funny any more, I've got 4 arcane magic users (fighter/mage PC, Jan, Edwin, Nalia) , 1 cleric (Anomen) and 1 druid (Jaheira) in my party, and it seems nothing can take him down... just when I think I'm getting near, he tosses out another Greater Command and half my party lies down for a nap.

My party scripts check resistances before casting spells, so I know he's resistant to pretty much everything, and he's only taking 9 damage per hit from a Cleric Staff +3 wielded by someone with 19 Str... when he can actually be hit...

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.
berelinde
You need a bigger sword.

IIRC, I had a lot more trouble with those golems than I did with Tor Gal. By that time, my cleric had a few chaotic commands, so I had him give the party some protection.
OTG
It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it... rolleyes.gif (and 5 skeletons, and Defensive Harmony and Bless and a lot of scrolls and a lot of luck and... finally killed him.) biggrin.gif
berelinde
Whatever gets you there in the end biggrin.gif
smr49
I enlisted Korgan for that battle - armed with Stonefire and some strength potions, then some buffs, he wreaked havoc on Torgal. The Berserk state saved him from the Greater Command, and Jaheira kept charming his summons, for a much needed distraction. biggrin.gif

I agree though, the golem was just a killer if you've only got blades... sad.gif
Romulas
For those wonderful "you can hit them all day" monsters and do very little damage I bought an item put in by the magnificent magic store called the survivors ring which dramatically increases regeneration, with the drawback that it takes strength, constitution from your player. However it helps you to last during the pounding that the golems and torgal do.

Even using flails and other blunt weapons I have yet to figure out how to hit those golems and do anything other than half damage, some like the coin or gem golems take only 2 or 3 points of damage. Ridiculous.

Romulas
Sikret
Adamantite golems, in the original game, also have such damage resistances. It's not a new concept. The new thing about Gem and Coin golems in comparison with the game's standard golems is not their damage resistance, but their good AC. The other important point in fighting against each new type of golem is to choose the right weapon type to attack them. You should practice to become familiar with their abilities.

Elemental golems are way more powerful than Gem and Coin golems, but you should go for them with higher level parties.
Romulas
Ah, I agree however there were only 1 or maybe 2 of those adamantite golems in the game and there are considerably more of the gem and coin golems now in IA.

I thought I had the method down when I dual wielded the flail of glory and another flail but it took along time to kill them.

Even golem slayer doesn't seem to do as much damage and they certainly don't kill the golems when hit. It seems that item only works on the normal original golems however by the time you get all the pieces to make golem slayer your party is at such a level that the standard golems are easily dispatched, without using golem slayer. This time through I will experiment more and see what makes the difference.

Romulas
Sikret
The golem slayer staff is changed in IA v4.0. It inflicts triple damage against all sorts of golems (the new types included).

And keep in mind that blunt weapons are not the best choice against all new types of golems.
OTG
Wasn't a big fan of the elemental golem in the [place where he is] - it gives physical damage of over 30 hit points, plus a myriad of elemental damage... and taking 3 points per (very occasional) hit. It's something to come back to after Spellhold.
Silverstar
IA's Torgal has big MR, so drop it first. Breach him, cast at least three, or four to be mroe sure, Lower Resistances, then add a Greater Malison. Now you should add a Slow spell. You HAVE to slow Torgal down, this way he will have less attacks and less formidable regeneration and his spells will also be effected AND you can actually disrupt his spell casting if you are very very lucky or fast, so (improve) haste your fighters! Continue to throw at least one Glitterdust each round, so he will be blinded, thus having worse AC. Use a high MR NPC as a decoy against his Greater Commands, or just gulp a few potions which will grant you MR or auto-succesful saving throws. I beat the Torgal this way easily. Gem Golem, now, on the other hand, is truly a different story. closedeyes.gif

I know the weakness of Coin Golem, I think.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Yasraena killed the thing with ease, she was dual-wielding her spiffy shortswords, so figure it out!
e
n
d
s
p
o
i
l
l
e
r

I have no idea about the weakness of gem Golem though. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.