Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memorizing spells
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
methusalar
I was reading somewhere that you'd taken out some of the potions that raise Int in an attempt to stop people memorizing too many spells. Is it possible to tweak the game so that if you do this (hit spell limit, drink potion of genius, memorize more spells...), all the spells will be lost once the Int wears off?
Mordokai
You don't even need tweaking, it's the way thing works in the game. Drink a Potiong of genius(+4 to INT), and you'll be allowed to memorize more spells then you would normaly be. I don't know if Sikret fixed anything in IA thou, because I always found that a little cheap. Practical, yes, but still cheap.
berelinde
I'm not entirely sure I agree with this logic, but I am not about to disagree at this time.

I have found that if people want a higher intelligence to memorize spells, they will do what they need to do to obtain them. Potions of Genius is one way to do it. Shadowkeeper is another. Removing a legitimate source will compell many people to seek less legitimate means.

I have a great deal of respect for Sikret, and will support his decision in this. He has his own vision of how he wants IA to be played, and I'm certainly willing to give it a try his way. It will force me to play more intelligently, and that is part of the charm and appeal of the mod.

Respecting a modder does not mean that I will agree with everthing, but that is always the case when you dealing with intelligent people: they have well-considered opinions. It would be foolish to disregard them, but agreement is not guaranteed.

In any case, I, for one, will play IA. I will do so as intended the first time. After that, I might customize to better suit my own playing style, but I hope to maintain the spirit, certainly.
Sikret
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The changes IA applies to the game in this regard (as mentioned in the mod's readme) are as follows:

1- Potions of Genius are omitted from the game entirely.
2- Potions of Mind focusing grant less intelligence bonus than they did in the original game.
smr49
I always used Potion of Genius to up a Lore score for an easy ID, without having to use scrolls or visit stores... happy.gif
methusalar
QUOTE(Mordokai @ Dec 4 2006, 10:32 PM) *

You don't even need tweaking, it's the way thing works in the game. Drink a Potiong of genius(+4 to INT), and you'll be allowed to memorize more spells then you would normaly be. I don't know if Sikret fixed anything in IA thou, because I always found that a little cheap. Practical, yes, but still cheap.

I'm not talking about raising your int to improve your chances of memorizing spells, but raising your int to increase the max number of spells per level that you can learn.

I very rarely cheat (and only really for gameplay reasons) and I never use cheese (filthy stuff!), but this is something that I always do, so that I can learn as many spells as possible. It's not to do with the xp (learn and erase etc - that really is cheese), just to make life easier and your mage more versatile - it doesn't really even make the mage more powerful(after all, if a sorceror can get by with five spells per level, a mage should be fine with 14). It would simply add another small aspect to the game and make me think slightly more about spell selection (I know I could easily just stop myself using this exploit, but I have no willpower!).
OTG
QUOTE(methusalar @ Dec 4 2006, 04:20 PM) *

I was reading somewhere that you'd taken out some of the potions that raise Int in an attempt to stop people memorizing too many spells. Is it possible to tweak the game so that if you do this (hit spell limit, drink potion of genius, memorize more spells...), all the spells will be lost once the Int wears off?

The problem I see with this is those pesky Int draining monsters... should spells be lost due to lower Int from that? Also, the spells are held in a book, it's the intellegence at the time of scribing those spells into the book from the scroll that counts. Once they're in the book, they're there until erased. Perhaps when the scroll is scribed, it's not copied word for word, but re-written in a way that the character can understand, even with a reduced Int, like (-shudder-) revision notes.
methusalar
QUOTE(OTG @ Dec 5 2006, 08:45 AM) *

The problem I see with this is those pesky Int draining monsters... should spells be lost due to lower Int from that?

Fair point - that would get rather irritating!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.