Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disintegration
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Romulas
Its really annoying to enter a difficult battle and win but lose a character permanently and all of their stuff.

Currently I can remember three ways that this occurs in baldurs gate 2 and throne of bhaal.

1) A beholders disintegrate ray
2) A beholders turn to stone ray (and statue is destroyed before you can change back)
3) Complete level drain. I could swear that this used to be why I lost guys when fighting the rune quest (shangelar and his cronies)

Now if I remember my dungeons and dragons correctly each item had a saving throw for disintegration and magic, but baldurs gate lumps it into one, meaning the characters saving throw. Also, relic type items (more of a power level than anything) were indestructable unless destroyed by divine intervention.

My question for sikret is it possible with improved anvil v4 to make the rules more like dungeons and dragons in reqards item destruction? Worst case scenerio is having a fighter wielding judgement day and getting disintegrated, one of the best swords known to man getting waxed by a beholder, or the holy avenger sword for that matter.

Thanks,

Romulas
Sikret
Good point, Romulas!
I need to think about it. I'll be back to this topic later.
Thanks!
berelinde
Back in the days before I used mods, I seem to remember the shadow dragon doing something to Valygar that caused him to die and lose all his stuff.
Sikret
It had been level drain, berelinde.

I thought a bit about the case. The point is that great weapons (such as Judgement Day sword) should be in the hands of competent characters. By the time, you have the sword, you will have excellent saving throws (similar to those of your relics) and by that time, there will be no beholder left in the game to disintegrate you. And even if you encouner one and if you are so unlucky to fail rolling a mere 2 to save vs. spell, then it has happended against all odds and you and your mighty sword have gone together. It's part of the role playing even in pnp. Hence, I think the best thing to do about this issue is to do nothing.
berelinde
And, if you should roll that 2, there's always the auto-save, a blessed feature not present in PnP.
Romulas
Thanks for the thoughts on this, I suppose that even with an additional saving throw that the situation would come up again when both the character and item failed.

Romulas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.