Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I really need to start a new game?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Minarvia
I read in the Readme that you need to start a new game. I have never installed any version of IA. I guess I need clarification on whether a new game MUST be started, or it is just reccommended in order to have all the extra encounters, etc. I have many saved games for different NPC mods and such and would hate to have to lose them. I intend to return to them later and complete them. But I have no problem in beginning a new game to add to that list as I am trying out Beyond the Law and a few kit mods that look cool. Sooo...new game REALLY needed or do I need to wait to try out IA until sometime in the future?
I hope this isn't a stupid question... unsure.gif
Sikret
Well, I'm pretty sure that some of the features of the mod will not work properly if you do not start a new game, Minarvia! (This is because you didn't have a previous version of IA. If you already had IA v2.0, you wouldn't need to start a new game after installing IA v3.0). However, many other features of the mod will work for you even if you do not start a new game.

In short, if you really need or want to continue the game with your saved games you can go for it, but you should do it on your own risk. The majority of the mod's features will work fine but a minority of them won't. Depending on how far you have already gone forward in the game, you may lose more features of the mod.

IA v4.0 will be released within about 3 weeks from now. Your other option is to wait and start a new game with v4.0. (though after installing v4.0 you will still need to start a new game. In fact, starting a new game after installing v4.0 will be completely mandatory for those who don't already have IA v3.0. In other words, if you want to continue with your saved games, v3.0 is better for you than v4.0, because v4.0 will have more features which will require starting a new game.)

Minarvia
Okay, thanks for the quick reply and the info. I'll hang in until V4. In the meantime I'll see if I can return to my other games and finish them up!
dwarvenbeer
First of all, great site!
I understand that I have to create a new game in order to take advantage of most of version 3.0's features,
Could i start a new game and import my pre Improved anvil saves into that new game, and continue from there? Maybe a dumb question, but it has worked with a few other mods, I am anxious to try this one out. Looks fantastic
Thanks.
Dwarvenbeer
Sikret
Welcome to BWL, Dwarvenbeer!

I understand that I have to create a new game in order to take advantage of most of version 3.0's features

Not most of the mod's features, but yes, a minority of them require starting a new game if you didn't already have IA v2.0.

Could i start a new game and import my pre Improved anvil saves into that new game, and continue from there?

What was the version of Improved Anvil you had? Could you please explain in more details how you intend to import your saved game into a new game?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.