> Unfixed bugs of vanilla game, Send them here if you find any
Sikret
post Jul 10 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #101

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Ice @ Jul 10 2007, 12:23 AM) *
Mages seem to use their sequencers/triggers even when unconscious/stunned/etc.

This is a bug of the vanilla game which is already fixed in IA v4.3. It's not just mages; many monsters including umberhulks, Myconid,...et al, have this problem in the vanilla game (Umberhulks fire their confusion even when unconscious). The bug was discovered and fixed a while ago.

The three posts about this bug are moved to the right thread (= bugs of vanilla game).

@Stu
None of the enemies in the vanilla game or in IA have or use scrolls of Protection from Magic.

This post has been edited by Sikret: Jul 10 2007, 07:04 AM

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 10 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #102

Forum Member

@Stu
None of the enemies in the vanilla game or in IA have or use scrolls of Protection from Magic.

The player has access to them from the adventurers mart (iirc). Prot. from Magic makes the target immune to the effects of all spells and is supposed to make them unable to cast any spells. It can be cast on enemies making them unable to cast spells (as per the scrolls description). However they can still launch their contingencies when under the effects of the scroll (so my tactic/cheese of getting Daystar early fell right through as soon as he launched his Chain Lightening/Abi Dalzims contingencies on my low level pc)

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 10 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #103

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

I can tweak those scrolls so that the character who has scroll can only use them on himself (not on other creatures). In this way you can't cast them on enemies.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 10 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #104

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Just checked the scroll again and saw nowehere in its description that it will disable contingencies and triggers; nonetheless, casting them on enemies is cheesy for sure and it's not a bad idea to apply the tweak I mentioned above.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Roy
post Jul 10 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #105

Forum Member

Could you do something about the apprentices.Role playingly in the original
game when playing good charecter I always told them to not forge the
robe or staff of power as it kills them.

In IA the robe is a must for forging the memory of the apprenti.Perheps
something can be done to protect them,maybe going on a quest to get them
a defensive equipment or upgrading the lab so they will have better chances
to survive or maybe the protagonist could stay for a few days and actually
guide them.

It can even start new quests in the sphere.

Quote Post
rbeverjr
post Jul 10 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #106

Group Icon

Premium Member

QUOTE(Sikret @ Jul 10 2007, 03:52 AM) *

Just checked the scroll again and saw nowehere in its description that it will disable contingencies and triggers; nonetheless, casting them on enemies is cheesy for sure and it's not a bad idea to apply the tweak I mentioned above.

Emphasis added by me: I always thought it was cheesy to use the scroll offensively, but it is a favorite tactic of some people. They didn't like me calling that use cheesy. bigcry.gif Of course, using the scroll offensively is the easiest way to kill the acid kensai in the normal game if you get Celestial Fury at level 8, and the acid kensai comes looking for it. biggrin.gif

Edit: I no longer install the acid kensai. In my opinion, it is cheese and counter cheese (although there are good ways to win other than the scrolls of prot vs magic). And if I'm not going to use the katana, why bother.

This post has been edited by rbeverjr: Jul 10 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote Post
Ice
post Jul 14 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #107

Forum Member

I'm not sure this is a bug, but anyway: after turning the pages in the book in the Spellhold maze and killing all the monsters I left the area, but when I came back the book started spawning them all again, and at the end it only created a few items, like I rested inbetween (which I didn't).

Edit: it happened again after I quicksaved, this time I didn't even leave. Weird.

This post has been edited by Ice: Jul 14 2007, 09:33 PM

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 15 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #108

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

This is how it's supposed to work:

When you start clicking on the tome for the first time, you will have 2 hours (in-game time) to finish all battles and take the tome's treasure. If you waste more time than 2 hours, you won't receive full treasure, no matter if you have actually rested or have spent the time in any other way. Let me know if there is any problem or if it doean't work exactly in the way I just described.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
nataben1314
post Jul 22 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #109

Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or what, but I noticed that often when I cast "friends" on my half-elf blade to try and get a store discount, the spell registers (and I get the icon on my portrait) but on my character screen there is no listed Charisma increase. I only get the actual charisma increase maybe 1/4 times casting the spell. My guess is maybe this has to do with half-elf's innate resistance to charm type spells, so I guess it is debatable whether this is an actual bug or not. Just thought I'd throw that out there. smile.gif

Quote Post
aVENGER
post Jul 23 2007, 07:40 AM
Post #110

Forum Member

QUOTE(nataben1314 @ Jul 22 2007, 10:11 PM) *

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or what, but I noticed that often when I cast "friends" on my half-elf blade to try and get a store discount, the spell registers (and I get the icon on my portrait) but on my character screen there is no listed Charisma increase. I only get the actual charisma increase maybe 1/4 times casting the spell.

Are you, per chance, using the G3 BG2 Fixpack? I encountered the same problem but somehow the fixpackers were unable to reproduce it locally. confused.gif Since I was using a clean BG2 + fixpack v3 install at that time, I figured that it must be related to specific system setups i.e. AMD vs Intel or WindowsXP vs Vista, though this was just a guess. However, without the G3 BG2 fixpack the Friends spell always worked properly for me.

My guess is maybe this has to do with half-elf's innate resistance to charm type spells

I can assure you that this is not the case, and I should know since I wrote that fix. smile.gif

--------------------
Retired modder

Rogue Rebalancing - Author
aTweaks - Author
BG2 Fixpack - Contributor

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 23 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #111

Forum Member

HAve you tried removing (create a back up though) the Friends spell from your override and try it again? Maybe the spl file is bugged or something. This is one of the tests I usually do when something goes awry.

It's SPWI107.SPL

This post has been edited by lroumen: Jul 23 2007, 08:25 AM

Quote Post
aVENGER
post Jul 23 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #112

Forum Member

I've commented out the code which deals with the Friends spell from the fixpack .tp2 right after I've first noticed the bug so it's not an issue for me anymore, but yeah, nataben1314 should probably just delete the spell file from his override folder first.

--------------------
Retired modder

aTweaks - Author

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 23 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #113

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

I'm almost sure that nataben is not currently using the G3's BG2 Fixpack (because he knows that I have strongly warned players against using that fixpack); however, it's possible that he had once installed that fixpack and some files have remained in his override folder after uninstalling it. In that case, the only way to solve the problem is doing a clean installation of the game plus TOB official patch plus Baldurdash TOB fixpack v1.12 plus other mods plus IA.

Don't delete the spell's file from your override folder. Baldurdash Fixpack also puts it in your override folder and if you delete it, you will return to the game without Baldurdash in which the spell's charisma bonus stacks with itself.

The general advice is not to delete any file from your override folder unless you are completely certain that you have already uninstalled all and every mod which modifies that specific file. For example, if you delete a file from your override which is modified by Improved Anvil you will create bugs in your game.

Edited for typos.

This post has been edited by Sikret: Jul 23 2007, 01:30 PM

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
aVENGER
post Jul 23 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #114

Forum Member

That is true for files which are not already contained within the game's BIFs (i.e. any new files which are introduced by mods).

OTOH, deleting the Friends spell from the override folder would merely restore the spell to its default, unmodded version since it already existed in the original game. Anyhow, you could also just overwrite it with the Baldurdash version.

--------------------
Retired modder

aTweaks - Author

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 23 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #115

Forum Member

Maybe the original poster prefers it when it stacks charisma wink.gif

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 23 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #116

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Yes, if nataben is careful not to abuse the spell's bug in the vanilla game (which stacks charisma bonus), he can delete it from the override. However, my general advice against deleting files from override folder still stands. If, for example, it was not the "Friends" spell, but was "Iron Skins" spell, then deleting it from the override folder would create serious bugs, because IA patches that spell. If you delete a spell which is patched by IA, you will cause IA's scripts to break. It's true that the spell is in the game's BIFs, but by deleting it from the override folder you will undo my changes and modifications to the spell and will return to the status the spell had in the vanilla game. At least ask me about any particular file before touching it.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 23 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #117

Forum Member

Very true. You are completely correct.

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 23 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #118

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

I've commented out the code which deals with the Friends spell from the fixpack .tp2 right after I've first noticed the bug so it's not an issue for me anymore

So did the anomaly disappear when you've commented it out from the G3 Fixpack code?

I figured that it must be related to specific system setups i.e. AMD vs Intel or WindowsXP vs Vista, though this was just a guess.

FYI, this is absolutely impossible, especially the assumption about processors. As for the operating system, I doubt the control logic of BG2 uses some "special" system calls (apart from the usual stuff, of course; such as accessing files etc.). wink.gif

--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.

Quote Post
aVENGER
post Jul 23 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #119

Forum Member

QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 23 2007, 05:32 PM) *

So did the anomaly disappear when you've commented it out from the G3 Fixpack code?

Yes. BTW, this also applies to fixpack v4 since the Friends code block is the same there.

FYI, this is absolutely impossible, especially the assumption about processors. As for the operating system, I doubt the control logic of BG2 uses some "special" system calls (apart from the usual stuff, of course; such as accessing files etc.). wink.gif

Well, I just thought that there might be an issue that causes a WeiDU to compile the same code differently on an AMD CPU or something. As I've said, it's just a wild guess, since two other people were strangely unable to reproduce the bug on their systems yet, at the same time, 3 other (different) people including myself were repeatedly able to do so. I really have no idea how that could happen. huh.gif

--------------------
Retired modder

aTweaks - Author

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 23 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #120

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

WeiDU doesn't actually compile the TP2. It interprets it (it's not the same). Anyway just wanted to assure you that CPUs can't influence these things.

--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.

Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 09:11 AM