bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 09:38 pm Post subject: Aredhel's Visit to the Spine of the World

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Female mage, accompanied to the Spine of the World by Minsc and Imoen.

Well, so far, so good. The goblins with mass quantities of envenomed arrows are a pain in the ass! Need to get better armer ASAP....

Good voicing on Hrothgar, and especially on Dar (great new pic, too).

As of this writing, I'm in Kuldahar, getting ready to head for the dreaded Vale of Shadows. I just had a banter-cum-snowball fight with Imoen. Just before that, I had an exchange with Accalia about Branwen (right after we rested in the inn). Minsc discussed his discomfort, and Boo's squirreliness, last time we rested, at the mill before we got to Kuldahar.

I wanted to touch on the time-travel aspect for a moment, because I think there may need to be a continuity patch here. When I meet Accalia, I talk about her resembling Branwen, who I know in the future. But to date, there's nothing to indicate that we are in the past. Later, just before Hrothgar joins the party, there's some discussion of how we got to Easthaven, and we mention that we know we've come back in time through the portal.

I supposedly know that I'm in the past because I recognize Hrothgar as a famous hero. Well, Hrothgar may not be that uncommon a name, and Hrothgar doesn't discuss any specific deeds that I might have read about. Plus, while I might recognize the Spine of the World and Easthaven from my Candlekeep education, I don't think I'd be prone to consider that I'd travelled in space as well as time without more of a prompt.

Perhaps I can ask Hrothgar what the date is, after all, I've just been imprisoned for an unknown length of time. When the date seems implausible, the year comes up, we confirm that we're using the same calendar, and proceed to deal with another impossibility.

Also, when meeting with Arundel, he refers to Hrothgar as having died in the avalanche. I don't know how easy this would be to extract; it's in the voicing as well as the dialogue. It's probably much too late to contemplate a name change for Hrothgar. Perhaps he and Arundel have never actually met , and he's assuming Hrothgar perished; Hrothgar can correct him.

Off to the Vale....

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 09:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we missed the fact that someone could leave Jaheira behind. Actually if Jaheira is in party then after meeting Hrothgar she has a prolonged discussion with PC on "when we are". I'll add this dialogue to Imoen in case Jaheira is not in party. Also I confirm the problem Arundel doesn't recognise Hrothgar sometimes. It should be fixed for sure.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 10:34 pm Post subject:

Normally I wouldn't leave Jaheira behind. But I didn't want to strand anyone in the past, and I wanted to play with all of the "Easthaven Three."

Just rested in the Vale, and this triggered the Hrothgar-Dar talk about Dar's background.

I think I played the Vale as NeJ-only, but mostly I've played it on a BP platform. The Vale itself is much more manageable this time around, though still not exactly easy. And those yeti, delivering 30+ damage in one hit, aren't much fun either (note to self, hurry up on that better armor!)

I'm still getting my head handed to me in the caves, however. I'm going to have to try some different strategies.

On edit: The tombs are do-able, but a full-on frontal assault won't do it. It takes a mix of items and spells to pull this off, but with the right combination, it's completely painless.

Last edited by bpfan on 25 Oct 2004 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 11:00 pm Post subject:

I haven't entered the main tomb yet, but when I entered the Yeti cave, Lysan was already in residence.

I presume this is deliberate. However, you might want to put a block on her chests, so they can't be pilfered while she's standing right there!

I like the cloak, but I miss the hammer

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 12:31 am Post subject:

Rested again, in one of the tombs off the Vale. This triggered a dialogue with Hrothgar, beginning with H asking, "yes?" Asking about H's background.

This dialogue includes a path that refers to H having come forward in time with the groups. Either this dialogue is taking place too early, or this option shouldn't be here.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 03:56 am Post subject:

Rested again, in a tomb off the Vale. Then Dar and I discussed faith, and our chosen path.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 09:26 am Post subject:

Quote:
I haven't entered the main tomb yet, but when I entered the Yeti cave, Lysan was already in residence.

If you have already spoken with her in the tavern of Kuldahar where she masquerades as a waitress then she is supposed to escape the tavern and move to her cave. Actually I didn't change anything here. You may dismiss her before talking to Kress and hence there is a corresponding option in her dialogue when you recognise her being a waitress from Kuldahar. However you cannot approach her without being detected. But again Imoen can do this and I suppose she helped you to loot her belongings. Imoen is Imoen. Actually I have intentionally left the boxes opened.

Quote:
This dialogue includes a path that refers to H having come forward in time with the groups. Either this dialogue is taking place too early, or this option shouldn't be here.

Thanks, I will check this.

larrienne

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 10:26 pm Post subject:

bpfan wrote:

I believe I wrote this dialogue for NeJpart2 but due to my bad numbering system... or lack of a numbering system ... this one got mixed with NeJ1 files. Well spotted bpfan.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 10:54 pm Post subject:

Vlad wrote:

If you have already spoken with her in the tavern of Kuldahar where she masquerades as a waitress then she is supposed to escape the tavern and move to her cave. Actually I didn't change anything here. You may dismiss her before talking to Kress and hence there is a corresponding option in her dialogue when you recognise her being a waitress from Kuldahar. However you cannot approach her without being detected. But again Imoen can do this and I suppose she helped you to loot her belongings. Imoen is Imoen. Actually I have intentionally left the boxes opened.

In my treks through IWD1, the cave has always been occupied by yeti only prior to talking to Kresselack. Lysan only turned up after talking to Kres. Having said that, I don't remember ever not talking to Lysan before going to the Vale. And I do remember numerous people commenting on difficulties with Lysan in earlier iterations of this mod (which I don't recall ever having...YMMV). So I presumed this was a change you made.

As to Immy opening the chests right in front of Lysan's nose...well, the easiest choice is to just leave it alone. But if you want to address it, how difficult would it be to give Lysan a key which is necessary to open them?

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 12:32 am Post subject:

Rested in main tomb (rested after killing initial guardian on 2nd floor, then again after killing demon spectre and assorted skeleton warriors). Triggered first Hrothgar asking whether what we were doing was necessary to achieve goal, then Minsc asking Hrothgar about portal.

I'm enjoying the banter. Good handles on Minsc and Imoen. Less fond of getting my ass kicked, at this level these fights are plenty challenging.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 02:25 am Post subject:

Okay, rested just before taking on Lysan, and this triggered a Dar-Accalia talk about his faith and heritage. I'd hoped Lysan had on her the hammer that used to be in her chest...no such luck, alas.

The major battles are tough, but winnable.

The transition pieces scroll excruciatingly slow.

Cardigans? I like them, but it's jarring...for me, at least, it doesn't seem to fit. I liked the IWD music...but if you want a change, well, I know you've used Ritchie Blackmore's music in the past....what about Yngwie? Or Candlemass? Maybe just instrumental pieces, I think it would be very hard to find any music with lyrics that truly fit the moments....

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 03:09 am Post subject:

Rested after first foray into Temple of Forgotten God. Three banters in rapid succession. First, Accalia's accosted by Imoen as she writes her journal. Next, Dar and Aredhel discuss their heritages. Last, Hrothgar and Accalia talk about faith and battle.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 04:09 am Post subject:

Transition issue en route to Dragon's Eye--Everyone but CHARNAME is moved to Dragon's Eye; CHARNAME remains in Arundel's abode. Had to CLUA to fix.

Dang, if you're gonna beef up the Snow Trolls and give them the ability to slow and weaken on successful hits, the least you could do is give their XP award a boost....jeez, that hurt....

I'm gonna hold off actually entering DE until tomorrow.

Chev
Tutor

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 07:22 am Post subject:

bpfan wrote:
Transition issue en route to Dragon's Eye--Everyone but CHARNAME is moved to Dragon's Eye; CHARNAME remains in Arundel's abode. Had to CLUA to fix.

Just installing right now, but I had this one before. I just clicked on CHARNAME's portrait and talked to Arundel and he sent him to Dragon'e Eye to join with the rest of the party.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 04:23 pm Post subject:

Quote:

Thanks. Confirmed and being fixed.

Quote:
Cardigans? I like them, but it's jarring...for me, at least, it doesn't seem to fit. I liked the IWD music...but if you want a change, well, I know you've used Ritchie Blackmore's music in the past....what about Yngwie? Or Candlemass? Maybe just instrumental pieces, I think it would be very hard to find any music with lyrics that truly fit the moments....

I'll try to follow your advice and look for instrumental music but still some music compositions used in the mod I cannot omit though.

larrienne

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 09:19 pm Post subject:

bpfan wrote:

I can see where you are coming from bpfan, lyrics were always going to be a prob if trying to get away from instrumentals for a change, and whereas I am a great fan of Ritchie Blackmore, I do like the music Vlad has chosen.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 11:53 pm Post subject:

No more Blackblood Club? No more Impaler spear? Damn. Crossbows? Who the heck uses crossbows, anyway? Sheesh....

Anyhow, after resting after visiting the Hall of the Lizard King (hey, how about a little Grieg for musical accompaniment?) I went back outside and rested awhile, because inside I kept getting interrupted by Yuan-ti (speaking of which, I think the original IWD only had lizard-men here, the Yuan-ti were secret until you uncovered the deception on Level 4; you may wish to consider a swap on your spawning choice here). Minsc and Imoen had a chat about happiness, and then Minsc and Dar talked about loneliness.

Back into the fray...those Snow Trolls are definitely too low in XP (IMNSHO). As are the beetles...man, they can make you stunned, deaf, blind, and poisoned, they deserve a better reward than a measly 270 XP. Using the Snow Trolls, versus the normal ones, is a nice touch, but again, the interior of Dragon's Eye is hot, thus the survival of the reptilian folks, so maybe the normal trolls fit better. Just a thought.

Those Priests are tough! Especially with Mother Egenia in their midst, thus eliminating the use of Fireballs, Cloudkills, etc....just as well they didn't have a bunch of trolls hanging around as cannon fodder. I certainly appreciate the Regeneration Rings, however (weren't the Protection Rings +2 before?)

Cold Wights! Yay! Of course, they're are a lot less of them than in IWD, and they're worth about half the XP, but it's still nice to see them again....

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate undetectable instakill traps?

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 01:03 am Post subject:

Quote:
Snow Trolls are definitely too low in XP... As are the beetles...

It was really difficult for me to decide on the proper XP for various creatures. I'll replace the snow trolls inside the caverns with normal ones and I'll change their XP, also I'll add XP to the beetles-bombardiers, no problem. The only question is would you think the XP for killing a beetle should be equal to the same XP for killing an yuan-ti? I see the better approach is just to make yuan-ti tougher.

Quote:
Have I mentioned lately how much I hate undetectable instakill traps?

Well, I have really worked on this issue. I hoped there have been no more undetectable traps. Will you please list their locations (areas+coordinates)?

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 01:35 am Post subject:

There are (at least) two undetectable traps in the vicinity of 2000x2150 on level TT4003. One has Power-Word graphics, but didn't do anything when triggered, so I must have made my save. The other's an insta-kill.

Also, I'd like to suggest that either Presio be toned down, or some items be provided earlier in the game that can help. Aredhel is now at about the 450K XP range, so the NPC's are between 50K lower and 100K higher.
Haven't had access to spells like "Breach," Arrows of Dispelling, etc. Presio gets at least 2 9th level spells, Spell Trap and Time Stop. I've taken her on several times, and I haven't yet been able to prevent her from getting off her Time Stop. Then she'll charm one character, disintegrate another, and by the time the Time Stop is over, it's game over for me. Feel free to suggest an alternative (I haven't turned the difficulty down from "core," but this seems a bit more than a party at this level can handle.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 05:24 am Post subject:

All right, reducing the difficulty from "core" to "normal" got me through.

Once I collected Presio's journal, I got a round of commentary from each of the NPC's. Unfortunately, the comments were all things I'm assuming they *should* have said before we actually entered Dragon's Eye.

I remember in the prior version, Hrothgar had a comment here. I'm guessing that, or something like it, is what I should have seen here.

Oh, and with regards to how much XP creatures should receive...well, I'm way behind, I stopped buying AD&D stuff shortly after the conversion to 2nd Ed (guess I'm showing my age here). In the original game, there was a base XP value for each level or hit die a creature had, plus a certain amount per hit point, plus a bonus for each special ability a creature had. So a 1 HD orc might be worth 20, a 6 HD troll 1000, a 10 HD frost giant 3500, and a demon prince 50-80K.

Of course, this isn't 1st edition, where you also got 1 xp for every gp you collected. And I haven't studied which creatures get which awards in BG2 and why. My gut instinct is that the bombadier beetles, as configured here, ought to be in the 1000-1500 XP range, FWIW.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 05:11 pm Post subject:

Quote:
There are (at least) two undetectable traps in the vicinity of 2000x2150 on level TT4003

Thanks, I have already found all (four) traps without the flag *Detectable Trap* in this area.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to suggest that either Presio be toned down, or some items be provided earlier in the game that can help.

You simply need a spoiler how to deal with her at ANY level of difficulty.

SPOILER

How to deceive Presio.

Actually Presio cannot detect magically invisible creatures protected with *Non-Detection*. She is not a lich afterall but a very high level human necromancer. Also she won't follow the invisible creatures. She cast all her protection spells first, and then *Time Stop*. If at the moment of casting *Time Stop* she doesn't detect an enemy nearby (she may cast *True Sight* by the way), she waits for a while and then casts *Dimension Door*. In other words she is not interested to fight you alone without her army of undead and just escapes the battlefield. Of course in this case you won't get her inventory. So the strategy is as follows:
1. Immy casts invisibility and attack the skeletons and then the bodyguard one by one from a distance shooting an arrow or two and running fast back to the party, they wait for Immy before the bridge. In this way you can pull them all out far away from the Presio's sight.
2. Once you have dismissed them all, again cast *Invisibility* on your cleric and send him to cast that *Holy Rain* spell which damages all and only evil creatures, and let him/her run back fast before Presio casts *Time Stop* and detects him/her. Refrain your cleric whilst casting the spell from moving into the sight of Presio.
3. Wait for a while until Presio escapes, and then go and unlock her chests.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 01:05 am Post subject:

Well, letting Presio get away is somewhat unsatisfying....but at least it's an option for parties who just aren't up to dealing with her yet. Of course, now I'm much more scared of Yxunomei....of course, as a major tanar'ri, I should be....

Anyhow, once I applied myself, I figured out how to check in NI if traps were detectable or not. And I found more than four (in fact all 7 of the traps flagged as "new" were not checked, so you might want to have another look at that).

Rested before proceeding deeper, and Imoen pinched Accalia's journal. Off to the false temple....

Note: The High Summoner doesn't appear to be summoning anyone/anything. S/he calls lots of trolls and Lizard Men in IWD...is it your intent that he doesn't here?

Nice that the hiding NPC's will help fight this go-round. However, you might double-check the mage's script. He casts a time stop (!), but then doesn't do anything else until it expires.

Parties with a Paladin have the option of exposing the Yuan-Ti from first meeting Albion. Hrothgar is, technically, still a paladin, and can detect evil....did you mean to remove this?

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 04:12 am Post subject:

Well, I suppose it was inevitable...they really were too potent for this early in the game...but I'm sure gonna miss Celestial Fury and Yxunomei's ring.

The bottom level still seemed kind of sparse on Yuan-Ti...but the @$*()#$)* histachii certainly make up for it.

We segue directly from Arundel's death to conversation with Hrothgar that leads to the Severed Hand...no opportunity to pick up whatever Arundel drops. No point in it being dropped if we can't pick it up...might as well not drop, or be put directly into the party inventory.

I presume the party's being within the blast area of Larrel's fireball is planned...but the cutscene drags on forever...long enough that people may think it has hung. Can you look at the timers, and see if trimming the delays makes sense?

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 08:10 am Post subject:

Quote:
...in fact all 7 of the traps flagged as "new" were not checked, so you might want to have another look at that

Thanks, I'll flag them all as *detectable trap*.

Quote:
The High Summoner doesn't appear to be summoning anyone/anything. S/he calls lots of trolls and Lizard Men in IWD...is it your intent that he doesn't here?

I thought more lizards and/or trolls won't contrfibute to the game but add another useless fight as at the current level your group is pretty strong to fight them. But if you think those great yuan-ti are not many at this level I'll force the High Summoner to summon more of them.

Quote:
Nice that the hiding NPC's will help fight this go-round. However, you might double-check the mage's script. He casts a time stop (!), but then doesn't do anything else until it expires.

I know this and inspite of the fact I have previously adjuncted the Marchon's group to Hrothgar assisting him to fight yuan-ti, now I don't like this idea because those knights are very tough and could actually handle the whole situation on their own. And don't ask me why did they hide then if they are so tough. Further you'll meet them again in other time and other place. Just remember *Marchon of the Waterdeep*. But anyway, I'll fix the script of Reise Coppersky.

Quote:
Parties with a Paladin have the option of exposing the Yuan-Ti from first meeting Albion. Hrothgar is, technically, still a paladin, and can detect evil....did you mean to remove this?

Well, I have always exposed Albion immediately talking him out with or without paladin in my party. You just need your speaker has WIS > 14. But paladin should be wise anyway. However personally I would prefer to send him to librarian and close that door for a while to prepare for the following fight. I really like to swindle this monster particularly when he starts talking about non-violence.

Quote:
..but I'm sure gonna miss Celestial Fury and Yxunomei's ring.

Hammer of Commination/Comminution , Celestial Fury and Ring Zero are overpowered items at this stage of the game, in my opinion. But you'll have a chance to pick them up later in the game.

Quote:
...but the cutscene drags on forever...long enough that people may think it has hung. Can you look at the timers, and see if trimming the delays makes sense?

The problem is that you don't see Larrel's Sending moving to the entrance of the Severed Hand after he has dismissed that squirrel and hurted your party, and I cannot finish the cutscene until he enters the Severed Hand. Unfortunately being a lich he moves very slow. Probably I should make him to cast Dimension Door.

Quote:
No point in it being dropped if we can't pick it up...might as well not drop, or be put directly into the party inventory.

Actually he doesn't drop items. It occurs only if your PC's inventory is full, otherwise you'll get his staff and cloak. Anyway you'll be able to pick his inventory up later for sure. Unfortunately I cannot make him to pass all the inventory during the dialogue because he technically Play(s)Dead... obviously you don't want to see the dying man standing up, granting you all his items and then laying down .

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 12:01 am Post subject:

Man...and I thought I hated Skeleton Warriors BEFORE I got to the Severed Hand!

Well, I suppose shadow orcs, goblins, ogres, etc., would have been a little passe....although, you could probably have beefed them up to an appropriate strength level to be challenging. The tactics that got me through the Vale still work, fortunately, and I have pretty well saturated the market for two-handed swords +1!

Speaking of which, you may want to double-check the shopkeeper in the Hand. He's buying things for MUCH too much gold.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 12:35 am Post subject:

Quote:
and I have pretty well saturated the market for two-handed swords +1

Quote:
Speaking of which, you may want to double-check the shopkeeper in the Hand. He's buying things for MUCH too much gold.

Well, you may become a millionaire there.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 02:30 am Post subject:

Well, it doesn't appear quite that bad....

Pity you left out Kaylessa's gauntlets/chainmail/bow. She had some nice gear, not overpowered either.

Another undetectable instakill trap on TT5202.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 02:37 pm Post subject:

Okay, have successfully returned to Chateau Irenicus. I presume from your comments that the 2nd part really isn't ready for testing yet, so there's no need to go farther.

This was a lot of fun, and I look forward to the next part, as well as a BG-BGT compatible release.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 08:21 pm Post subject:

Quote:
Okay, have successfully returned to Chateau Irenicus. I presume from your comments that the 2nd part really isn't ready for testing yet, so there's no need to go farther.

Yes, the second part is not ready for testing so you may wait a bit. Thank you!

larrienne

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 10:04 am Post subject:

Quote:
I didn't actually have many banters at all, let alone Hrothgar-Accalia, in the Severed Hand. Maybe they just didn't trigger for me for some reason.

bpfan, I thought to answer you in this thread as I was reading your walkthrough to see which banters you had seen.
I see that you have noted all banters as they occur. The following are banters that you should have seen in SH. with Accalia in party:

1.Accalia/Hrothgar: Accalia expressing her concern over PC. deserting them and taking the next portal they find. begins:
Accalia1: Do you not feel the tension surrounding the group...

2: Accalia/PC. Accalia questions PC. about his/her intentions if a portal should appear. begins:
Accalia1: Tell me <CHARNAME>, if another portal...

3. Accalia/Hrothgar. After speaking with Kaylessa about Larrel's astrolabe begins:
Accalia1: The wizards here had a machine that they were using...

If you did indeed see these then all is as it should be.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 01:37 pm Post subject:

Larrienne,

I believe I did see each of these. I tried to note each "banter" that seemed to be triggered by a timer (though I'm sure I missed some), but not those that seemed to be additions to existing dialogue or tied to a specific action.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 09:10 pm Post subject:

Just wanted to share a few thoughts I had on the treasure obtained in this mod.

First off, books: If this isn't random, there are three different books for boosting INT. I think I found one for WIS, one STR, and one CHA. Any chance for less INT and more of something else?

Second, items. Obviously, there's a lot of opportunity to pick up generic +1 weapons, esp. on Skeleton Warriors. Not likely to be much use to the party, save as a source for cash and to clutter up inventory. A party should leave the past well-stocked with cash. Whether they choose to blow it all at Ribalds, or pay the 20K to go right after Imoen is a role-playing choice.

But there aren't a lot of new items a party is likely to keep. I'm not suggesting that you spend a lot of time creating new items--you've got an aggressive enough project as it is. Nor am I suggesting that you replace items you've removed--they are, as you've said, overpowered for this stage of the gam.

What I'm suggesting, if it's not too difficult, is that you restore a few more of the items that could be found in the original Severed Hand. For Example:

Potion of Magical Resistance
Potion of Constitution
Hammer Flail +2
Longbow +2 Protector
The Red Knight's Shield
Sanctified Morning Star +3
Shield of the Hand
Misery's Herald
Shadowed Robe/Cloak/Platmail/Boots
Elven Chainmail of the Hand +3
Composite Longbow of the Hand +2
Longsword of the Hand +3
Kaylessa's Ring/Bow/Chain/Gloves

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 10:20 pm Post subject:

Quote:
What I'm suggesting, if it's not too difficult, is that you restore a few more of the items that could be found in the original Severed Hand.

Well, obviously I could choose to leave them in the game but:
1. I am not sure it's a good idea to saturate the game with +3 items at this stage. You've already taken several +3 swords in VoS and DE, and your Dar (probably as well as mine) bears +4 flail, also you've got several full plates (+1 and even +2).
2. As you have wisely noticed the idea is to earn money, the items of your choice/taste you may find/buy later in the game. Eventually, several item mods can be installed over NeJ. So if you could explain me why should I include those items originally located in SH, I would gladly add them. Moreover as you have mentioned you may spend part of your money which I estimate as ~250000 in really well-stocked stores in Athkatla (Ribald, Deidre, Joluv). Of course, you may always open a saving program in your bank.

[EDIT] By the way don't you like Kaylessa's *Boot of Fox*?

[EDIT2] Regarding prices on items in SH, well actually I didn't introduce any changes here, and I really liked the prices there. I have realised that the undead elf shopkeeper didn't follow the market for a long time.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 10:57 pm Post subject:

Thanks for the response. Actually, I do like the Boots of the Fox...they're slightly slower than Boots of Speed, but they give you an additional +1 to AC. Of course, before you could get these boots from the Lizard King's level in Dragon's Eye, so now you have to wait a good deal longer for them

As to why it might be worthwhile to leave some of the other items in place? Well, variety. There are a few good suits of armor in the Vale, and they're good for paladins, fighters, clerics. Rangers and thieves have to make do with lighter armor, and that's kind of scarce, so the elven chain would fit a good niche here. Dar comes with a nice shield, but I didn't find any other shields better than +1.

As for weapons, well Dar got Tombsweeper, my mage took the Staff of Power, and I gave Minsc Pikeman's End. But Accalia finished with a Flail +1 and a Mace +1, because Dar got the only good blunt weapon we came across. Many of the deleted IWD items had something unique about them, they may have just been +1 or +2, a few +3, but most had something special about them...they may have given a point to AC, or to DEX, or done a bit of electrical damage or granted a few percent immunity to fire or something. So they were the sort of thing a bunch of packrat adventurers might be likely to hang on to for special occasions, as opposed to yet another +1 Bastard Sword

I wouldn't put in anything +4 or better. But a party that's presumed to have played through BG1 will have mostly had +3 weapons when nabbed by Irenicus' thugs. And anything that was in the original Severed Hand shouldn't be unbalancing. My mage who began at 89K hit 750K while talking to Larrel. Characters who played through the Severed Hand in the original IWD, IIRC, will be heading for Dorn's Deep at about the 250K mark (assuming they're not playing Heart of Fury mode).

Sure, the party will be able to buy what they want when they get to Ribald's. Of course, that doesn't help them in the Severed Hand...

larrienne

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 12:01 am Post subject:

Quote:
As for weapons, well Dar got Tombsweeper, my mage took the Staff of Power, and I gave Minsc Pikeman's End. But Accalia finished with a Flail +1 and a Mace +1, because Dar got the only good blunt weapon we came across.

I played a sorcerer and maybe spells were easier to acquire but I have learnt to make use of the much forgotten 4th level spell Enchanted weapon, both at the beginning of SoA and NeJ. Gives Accalia a mace +3 that lasts for 24hrs. It also makes a short sword +3 which gives Immie a chance of a lethal backstab. Especially if you boost her strength by potions or a strength spell and get her behind spell casters.

Chev
Tutor

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 01:01 am Post subject:

I too made use of the much forgotten 4th level spell Enchanted weapon with this mod! I currently only have Jaheira armed with a +1 scimitar and the sling of seeking +2 and she can't hurt the Histachii! I am glade Vlad is thinking about not over balanceing the game. But in a way it's too late, with all the mods out there fights in the orginal game become much easier. Just don't over balence it too much. More variety of weapons and armor would be nice, not nessarily just more powerful weapons.

Now, Vlad make the mod the way you want, don't let us put too much pressure to change your mod.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 01:26 am Post subject:

Chev wrote:
Now, Vlad make the mod the way you want, don't let us put too much pressure to change your mod.

Amen. This isn't a democracy; it's your baby, and should be how you want it. Doesn't mean we can't offer suggestions, and doesn't mean you have to abide by them

Y'know, I don't think I've ever used that spell. Guess I'll give it a shot next go-round.

Chev
Tutor

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 06:17 am Post subject:

Ok,

Marilith is dead and Jaheira has Water's Edge.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 09:15 pm Post subject:

Quote:

Yngwie is too hard for my ears, too much metal, and I really don't like his style. But I think I have already found suitable music for the SoW adventures - *Lord Of The Dance*. I'll extract some nice instrumental pieces from there and adapt them to the corresponding screens.

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 04:34 am Post subject:

Vlad wrote:
But I think I have already found suitable music for the SoW adventures - *Lord Of The Dance*. I'll extract some nice instrumental pieces from there and adapt them to the corresponding screens.

Cool!

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 05:47 am Post subject:

Two Questions:

First, I understand you're hoping to have NeJ2 ready for testing some time around XMas. Do you intend to have a "tweaked" version of NeJ1, based on any changes resulting from the first round of beta-testing, between now and then, or do you expect to put it all out at once?

Second, I'd like to test this on a BP-BGT platform, but have no idea how to make the necessary changes. Are you working on this, have you asked Hlid or someone else to do it, is there somewhere one could get a tutorial...inquiring minds want to know!

bpfan
Apprentice

Posted: 22 Jan 2005 06:35 pm Post subject:

Wow, has it been two months already?

I've got a new PC and am preparing to install this and start checking it out. I realize I'm behind the curve, especially since I'll have to start again from scratch, but I hope I can still add some value to the testing here.

Vlad, I saw on the other forum you're preparing to swear off BG2 modding. That's certainly your choice and I respect it; I appreciate the mods you've already made, and I hope I've made that clear frequently enough, and that I haven't been too much of a pain in the ass.

If you change your mind, and there's anything I can do (beyond just testing, although I'm neither programmer nor artist) to help with NeJ3-5, I'll be happy to assist.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 08:01 am Post subject:

Thank you. I've just quit for a while. I ought to balance the real and virtual components of my life .

Still I find a couple of hours during my working day to bug fix and make the side quests for NeJ2. Then I will work on Keldorn's romance as I have promised to help Senka to make this mod, and after that - NeJ3. Again it will be very slow as my RL will fluctuate in the nearest future so I cannot promise that NeJ3 will be released even in a year or two. But who knows!