JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 10:35 pm Post subject: John's run of Voltaer through NeJ1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have a fresh install that's working now. It looks something like this:

1.) patched ver.26498 of ToB
2.) Baldurdash fixpack v112 and game text v12
3.) NeJ2v20b & Ease v28 (sans #6, #28 )

I got to say that before I even started making my character, the music is really great Vlad. I especially like the music at the starting screen of when you see the 2 people on horses with the castle in the background. It held up my game actually because I just hung out there and listened to it for awhile, very cool! Little did I know that it carries with you through character creation and I could have actually started...heh.

Started a character, male elven Sorcerer "Voltaer", with stats: Str 10; Dex 9; Con 16; Int 18; Wis 18; Cha 15. Core difficulty.

Picked up Imoen and definitely like her kit improvements and also that she is NOT dual classed already, AND I still have the option of dual classing her later if I want to. Very nice.

Picked up Jaheira and Minsc. Boo is a one rodent kick *** and take names wonder here! I like him a lot. All ‘five’ of us clear out the first half of Chateau Irenicus and then step into the portal to Easthaven.

In Easthaven everything seems to work fine. All the little quests and so forth.

One thing though, when we went into the Winter’s Cradle Tavern for the first time and the cut scene to the scrolling dialog and music (again very nice), it seems to me the dialog scrolls a bit too slow. At first, I thought something was wrong with the game because it took so long to even appear. Just a suggestion, but perhaps the scrolling could be speeded up a little.

Minsc had some things to say to Elisia in Jhonen’s quest, and that went well. Killed the wolf. Good experience award for talking old Jed out of drinking. We got Dar (was Brad Pitt the base for his portrait?) in our party now. He’s real tough, and clearing out the cavern of Orog’s and Orc’s and Ogre mages, seems tougher than I recall. Though its been years since I played IWD1… Pretty good fight, wish there was more of a reward for finishing them all off though. Even a +1 weapon (not arrows) would have been nice, a +1 club (all the brutes in there) perhaps? Just a thought. We picked up Accalia and now I see that Hrothgar is willing to join also. Very interesting since I know he died in Kuldahar pass in IWD1. I want him in my party so I let Jaheira go. Dang, there goes my romance… But I want to keep Minsc and Boo and the new and improved Imoen. Off to Kuldahar pass.

It sure is nice, the dialog, compared to what I recall of IWD1. Since it just adds so much more 'life' to everything and the characters. I like this a lot better so far.

Not really much in the pass except I aggressively clear out the archers with all their poison arrows. Good experience award for rescuing Jermsy.

Minsc has some things to say to Ghereg, and I can keep having him repeat over and over the same lines “Minsc is no healer but but he knows that if you knock your head too hard you will only knock out your good sense. Look at Minsc’s poor head since his got knocked too hard.” This after I choose the 1st dialog “Your head? I’m not doing anything to make your head hurt” and then Minsc’s lines, then, “What’s wrong with your head, Ghereg?”. This dialog keeps appearing and keeps Minsc interjecting. The other dialog options make Ghereg hostile, unless I choose to leave him alone.

Off to Kuldahar now…

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 11:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
This dialog keeps appearing and keeps Minsc interjecting

Thanks, I have already fixed.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 01 Jan 2005 04:11 am Post subject:

In Kuldahar now

Talked with Nate and made a beeline to Gerth’s shop to sell all my stuff. I notice that he’s selling only normal items these days… Head over to talk with Arundel, and he thinks that Hrothgar died in the avalanche. Poor Hrothgar is standing right there and takes the news of his death silently. Something that you might want to fix, though it will probably be difficult I can imagine. The rest of the conversation goes well and I head up to Orrick’s home.

Orrick’s interested in Mythals and has more interesting things in his shop, very nice. We go to the Evening Shade Inn and talk to the false innkeeper there.

Minor Bug: In front of the fireplace on the first floor, there is an area that hides the circles and party selection markers on the floor.

We get the ring and then expose Aldwin for what he is. Then we help ourselves to lower prices and purchase the badly needed scroll case, gem bag, and Glasses of ID right away.

Next we go to the Root Cellar Tavern and talk a bit with Lysan and the rest. Everything seems good there. Next head to Conlan’s smithy and Hrothgar and Minsc try to assure Conlan. Pick up the needed Potion case and the Yeti bag (40 item cap). Imoen leave’s Conlan’s hammer alone, for now… We head up to Oswald Fiddlebender and Imoen relieves him of some of his potions.

I noted that during a failed pickpocketing attempt, the merchants I’ve tried this on will not turn hostile, at least Oswald, Conlan and Gerth didn’t for sure. Is this intentional? Just curious, though it definitely makes the game easier, and was probably done that way to keep the game from breaking in certain instances. Oswald still caught Imoen pilfering with 170 in pp.

Next we go to the Temple and near the entrance Dar and Hrothgar had some dialogue about Dar’s past and this inter-party banter is really great by the way. It just makes the NPC’s really come to life for me.

Another noted inconsistency is that when talking to Brother Gus inside the temple he says that they’re running low on curatives, potions and the sort. But when you talk with Sister Calliana, you find that they’re actually rather well stocked.

We had the fight on the east side of town with the two Tundra Yeti’s. Good experience award.

Off to the Vale of Shadows now…

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 02:34 am Post subject:

The Vale of Shadows

Very tough so far, but I like high difficulty. 

Cannot yet find Mirek… Where’s Mirek? Can’t recall where he is supposed to be since I obtained his heirloom. Okay he must have been the frightened townsperson, who ran from the Yeti… When I talked with him earlier, his title never changed from ‘Frightened Townsperson’. Now the Yeti are long dead, his title has changed to Mirek now, and he’s still saying to me “They aren’t dead yet! Kill them!”, and even now that I have Mirek’s family heirloom, it still doesn’t trigger any change in dialogue.

Going back and forth to Kuldahar and selling loot. Notice that Whitcomb is similar to the Thieves guild in the docks area back in Amn. He’ll buy & sell fenced goods, without going hostile on a failed pp check.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 07:54 am Post subject:

Quote:
and he’s still saying to me “They aren’t dead yet! Kill them!”

You didn't obtain his quest before killing yetis. Normally he approaches to you "Run...", then he asks you to eleminate those yetis chasing him. After that you talk to him, get the reward for the first quest, and obtain the second quest to find his family heirloom. I guess you just killed yetis and moved further, so the both quests and the rewards from them are lost for you.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 08:32 am Post subject:

Vlad wrote:
I guess you just killed yetis and moved further, so the both quests and the rewards from them are lost for you.

Okay, but that still doesn't make it okay does it? Even if I have to live without the reward, it seems that Mirek ought to recognize that the Yeti's are dead in any case.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 08:42 am Post subject:

Still in the Vale...

Lysan was real tough, she summoned about 10 Gr. Werebears! Had to leave and let those summons time out. The undead mixed with the Yeti just made it very hard. That battle took some time. Wish I was high enough level to cast a death spell on those bears…

Bone Cleaver Axe is really poor as a thrown weapon (piercing damage) against undead, I don’t even get the +4 damage against undead sometimes. 4 damage max against skeletons so far, it’s taking quite awhile to clear these caves. Is the weapon getting the strength adjustment for to hit and damage? Or is it just the high resistance skeleton warriors have to piercing damage? Also I notice that Imoen and Minsc can hit the SW with normal arrows. Is this intentional? I thought they required +1 to hit. I could be mistaken…it’s been awhile…

In the first level of the main tomb now, and area TT3501 seems to have an undetectable kill trap, at least Imoen couldn’t see it with 165 in det. traps. Mouse position; 819/688. Good thing Imoen is immune to the trap so I can see whats in the container...

Finished the first level of the main tomb, with a whole lot of help from the Protection from Undead scroll. Heading back to town to sell loot, and Dar started dialogue about the PC’s inner turmoil. Good dialogue! Told him of my heritage and he promised friendship.

Rested in Kuldahar and Imoen & Accalia had a great banter about Accalia’s journal.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 10:07 am Post subject:

Normally I clean out Lysan's cave from yetis first before speaking with her in the tavern in Kuldahar. This way she is not in the cave and you can split her forces.

Bone Cleaver is not aimed to be a melee weapon, and it's main advantage is destroying undead from some range (like Azuredge). The axe of Hrothgar is much better melee weapon. It's needless to say that Cavalier (my favourite paladin kit) cannot use ranged weapons but only throwing axes.

This is the only undetectable trap left for your amusement.

larrienne

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 05:33 pm Post subject:

JohnTheMutt wrote:
Heading back to town to sell loot, and Dar started dialogue about the PC’s inner turmoil. Good dialogue! Told him of my heritage and he promised friendship.

Rested in Kuldahar and Imoen & Accalia had a great banter about Accalia’s journal.

Glad to see you are enjoying our banters John. IMO. they not only bring the NPC's to life, they also help to make the player care for them and in return, look to their welfare as he/she plays through the game. I will advise you not to rush through too quickly, as I did the first time and I missed seeing some of the banters.

Your kind words are most appreciated and I hope you continue to enjoy.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 07:56 am Post subject:

larrienne wrote:

Glad to see you are enjoying our banters John. IMO. they not only bring the NPC's to life, they also help to make the player care for them and in return, look to their welfare as he/she plays through the game. I will advise you not to rush through too quickly, as I did the first time and I missed seeing some of the banters.

I agree Larrienne. They definitely help define the personality and create more of a sense of 'companionship' with the npc's. I am in anticipation to see if Imoen is going to sneak Accalia's journal...

I have to rest often to replenish my spells, so that is helping me to see a lot of the banters I think.

larrienne wrote:
Your kind words are most appreciated and I hope you continue to enjoy.

Well that's no problem at all Larrienne! It's a good mod so far and I'm enjoying it. Appreciation and gratitude from mod players is one of the few ways Modmakers get paid back for all the hard work they do. It's the least I can do.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 08:00 am Post subject:

Imho Myrkul’s Sending seems like it ought to be worth more exp. It sure was harder than a skeleton warrior. Even 4500xp instead of 4000xp perhaps? Just a suggestion.

Those Demon Spectres were pretty tough until I found out their weak spot. They can see through Invisibility, PfU (are they even undead?), and Sanctuary! Not Prot from Evil…thankfully.

Finally get to Kresselack and he notes that I killed Lysan already and gives exp reward. Kresselack’s armor seems the best thing. Gave it to Accalia because it doesn’t have a strength req.

One minor thing, when talking to Kresselack, if you click fast through his dialogue (verbal) “If it is evil you seek…” he will keep talking when Minsc interjects. Seems like he ought to stop before Minsc says what he has to say. Good comeback by Kresselack by the way. 

Back to Kuldahar, where, we sell some items at Whitcombs and Gerth’s. Accalia and Hrothgar have banter about her being given the chance to join the group, and appreciating it. We rest, then head over to Arundel and we all get transported to the Temple of the Forgotten God…

larrienne

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 11:46 am Post subject:

Quote:
John The Mutt ... I am in anticipation to see if Imoen is going to sneak Accalia's journal... :lol

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 09:51 pm Post subject:

The Temple of the Forgotten God…

The transition piece/story here is still extremely slow. I liked your music selections before Vlad, but imho this one seems too ‘fast’ for the moment, so to speak. Do you like any of Lorenna McKennitt’s music? Most of her stuff from ‘The Book of Secrets’ CD was pretty good. Especially ‘Skellig’ since it’s about a monk(s). Sorry it’s an unsolicited suggestion, but perhaps you might like it.

Do the acolytes have un-interruptible spells? Even silenced! I’m hitting them and they still get their spells off... Flame Strike! I’m taking a lot of damage even though they are easy to kill. I’m going to have to try some other tactics here…Come on Boo, my little semi-magic resistant friend… Seems to me they ought to be worth more exp. if they’re going to have that kind of script, imho, 800xp or so? Though I was able to charm one of them with the Nymph Cloak and now I have my own personal healer, flame striker. Fragile though he is, heh.

Minsc and Imoen had their banter about happiness and sadness. It’s nice to see these two have banters imo since I can’t recall them having a whole lot during the main game. Very refreshing. Very good!

Tombsweeper, nice … now Dar finally has a worthy weapon (wish he had this in the Vale…) heh. Good party wide dialogue/banter when found out the Heartstone missing. Heading back to Kuldahar…

Dragon’s eye…

Well the transition story is real slow again…I guess you know this by now…

My PC got transported in just a little behind everyone else here, time wise. Snow Trolls ambushed and killed 3 of us and PC…reload… Okay nobody died this time, because I transported in prepared. They are tough! They had no problem hitting Hrothgar with his -12 AC, and then draining his strength and slowing him! Man, I don’t mind facing tough enemies but these guys ought to be worth more experience imo. Maybe they could drop potions of Regeneration, or something? It would be easier to face a bunch of Skeleton Warriors and they’re worth 4000xp…

Imoen and Dar had another good banter about snow.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 08:47 am Post subject:

The Lizard men are a nice break, and the 2 chests to the upper left of the entrance contain some nice goodies, thanks!

Strange bug… I had Imoen try to set some traps at Area TT4001, (601,1028) and she failed in the attempt. However she took damage like it was poison over time, and yet her status did not show her to be poisoned. Any ideas?

Killed the Lizard King first before freeing the prisoners and got the party wide dialogue about freeing the villagers, and the dialogue with Hrothgar about either going back to Kuldahar or continuing on. This seems pre-mature since I must have done this out of order, but probably ought to get dialogue about ‘finding’ the prisoners after killing the King if didn’t do so already, and then maybe this dialogue after talking with the little girl before the next area, thereby officially freeing them from their captors.

Daisy’s a good crossbow…wish I had someone who could use it. Still capable in non-proficient hands though. Just a suggestion, but finding some xbow bolts here and there would help too.

After killing the last of the Lizard Men holding the prisoners captive, Dar and Hrothgar have banter about Dar’s tough road. This is a good banter and Hrothgar’s a great leader for giving Dar such hope.

Talked to the little girl and freed the prisoners. Good experience award.

Bombardier Beetles…grrrr…they definitely need to be worth more exp. Blind, deaf, poison, & stun! Man. And I thought Snow Trolls were bad…

Minsc and Dar had a great dialogue about friendship and then Boo. Well done! I really got a kick out of that one.

Imoen got a successful Hide in Shadows while standing next to a red circled Bombardier Beetle. I didn’t think this was possible. I’ll try this later and see what happens…

Hrothgar got hit by a Wraith Spider and even though I cured him of the disease, he’s still showing a strength reduction. There is nothing showing on his status screen that he is under any negative influence either. Some kind of icon like ‘Energy Drain’ perhaps?

Every so often Accalia will say something “I have nothing to say to any of you”. Not verbally of course, but in the text window. It doesn’t appear to fit her current attitude or personality.

Slept and spawned Yuan-Ti, they are worth about 1500 xp each and Hrothgar with a -8 AC can slice right through them, and can’t be hit except by criticals. Compared to what was just here, these guys are pushovers. Also, I think its probably been mentioned already that this is a premature showing of Yuan-Ti… If I wasn’t beta testing, I’d take advantage of this and sleep here for awhile and accumulate some easy experience...

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 10:02 am Post subject:

Quote:
...and then maybe this dialogue after talking with the little girl before the next area, thereby officially freeing them from their captors

Thanks John, it's a good idea.

Quote:
Hrothgar got hit by a Wraith Spider and even though I cured him of the disease, he’s still showing a strength reduction.

For how long? I know this is the bug coming from the original game, and I was sure Baldurdash has evaluated it already.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 10:39 pm Post subject:

Vlad wrote:
Quote:
Hrothgar got hit by a Wraith Spider and even though I cured him of the disease, he’s still showing a strength reduction.

For how long? I know this is the bug coming from the original game, and I was sure Baldurdash has evaluated it already.

It lasted perhaps 5-10 minutes real time. However I could be way off because it's a subjective determination and I was impatient enough to think about going outside and resting... I'll go back to a save before this area and see I can't get a Wraith Spider to hit him again, which won't be hard, heh. And then get you a more exact time...

Okay, Hrothgar got hit with the disease (got that icon) then I cured him promptly, again he still had the strength red without an icon. Next, I timed it with my cheap analog and he returned to normal in about 5 or 6 (I don't want to commit to an exact time because my watch is junk) minutes real, and the game clock went from Day 13 Hour 13 to Day 13 Hour 14.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 07:15 am Post subject:

Before doing DE lvl 2, I decided to head back to Kuldahar and sell a bunch of stuff. This time talking with Arundel, the dialogue option to cure Ghereg came up. Though it didn’t update my journal, I’ll take a jaunt over to him and see he’s cured… Okay, he’s cured and have experience award. The journal updated funny though. Curing Ghereg is under the Done Quests but it doesn’t have it own red letter title. Doesn’t seem a big deal, but want to mention it. In my case it is just listed as an entry under killing the wolf in Apsel’s workshop…

Another thing I notice is that even after talking with Arundel all this time and knowing who he is, if you move the cursor over him on the main game screen, the pop up keeps listing him as an ‘Old Man’ not ‘Arundel’. Is this right? I thought you usually get this before the 1st dialogue with them and then their names come up after that. Also Mirek is still a ‘Frightened Townsperson’ until you talk to him and see that he is Mirek (Of course Mirek still thinks the Yeti are alive in my game). I’m just curious to know if this is normal or not. Thanks.

Dragon’s Eye level 2…

Imoen recon’d the area invisible and searching for traps and didn't find any. Lots of Snow Trolls & Bombardier Beetles though, MmmHmm, this is gonna be fun…

Good fight with the Talonite priest(esses). Good item drops, the rings of regen are going to be a big help! Mother Egenia helped out big. Afterward she & Hrothgar had dialogue. And then a party wide banter that is good.

Mother Egenia then moves into the area where more villagers were kept and hangs out. Now, when Imoen was invisible she saw some of the villagers here but now we didn’t get a chance to see any or talk to any. Is this the only way that it is possible, by sneaking past the Talonites, to interact with these villagers? Also Mother Egenia never really explains why she hangs out here. How come she doesn’t make a beeline for Kuldahar and her temple? Is she staying to support us? It keeps me wondering what’s up with her... also it would be neat to follow her around the corner and all the villagers here clamor towards her saying something like “Mother Egenia your safe!”; “Mother Egenia, can we leave now? Is it safe?”, etc. With Mother Egenia saying something like, “Everything is okay now my children. Hrothgar and his friends have freed us. You may all leave safely back to Kuldahar. The way is clear for you now. I will stay here and help support Hrothgar and his friends to end this threat once and for all!”, and the villagers saying something like; “Thanks Hrothgar”, etc. as they leave…

The body at x3540, y1300 in Area TT4002 had only a small amount of gold on it. Some potions perhaps? Or some bolts +1 for Daisy? Just an idea, but it seems like a small reward for a lot of beetles to go through and then a dead end…

Btw, I love the voice acting of Dar when he takes damage. “Oww...dammit!”, or something like that. Now that’s a great real life response!

Resting up then DE level 3…

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 10:52 am Post subject:

If you kill the talonites then all the villagers leave so you have no option to meet them and talk. If you sneak into that room they do have some general banter. Mother Eugenia move to that room which is now empty and wait for you to kill Yxunomei, so you may come any moment, get some healing, potions and just rest in that area. I think it's a good idea taking into account that in the next area you cannot rest.

[EDIT] I guess you know that Sheemish, Conlan's son, hides in one of the secret caves in this area.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 06 Jan 2005 07:18 am Post subject:

After the 3rd lieutenant and all the cold wights, Imoen got a hold of Accalia’s journal and started reading from it, very good! The banter was great! I really liked this.

Some undetectable kill traps before the bridge. You already know of these from another thread, I think.

Okay, we defeated Presio, it took not a little effort and was a good, and fun fight, but to find out that defeating her is only worth 1500xp is a bit disappointing. I’d recommend adding another zero onto that amount, at least…

The icon for the ‘Staff of Power’ is the same as a Quarterstaff +1. If you like the icon, then how about adding a little bit of color to it, perhaps? It would help to emphasize its uniqueness while keeping the shape. Too bad those are charges, and not once per day spells…

Very good item drops and exp. on Presio’s bodyguard.

Problem: After we cleaned out Presio’s shelves and started to leave her alcove there, he brought up dialogue as if we had just stumbled upon Erevain and his journal. Of course that was back on level 1. He starts off his dialogue “Erevaine (<typo?) was a good and brave elf, may he find peace in his final rest” and then we get a dialogue tree from there. It really surprised me for another reason, we were just walking near the body of Presio’s bodyguard and at first it didn’t click that Erevain was the elf from Easthaven, but rather the dead body guard and Hrothgar was going to give a eulogy for one of his fallen foes!!

Also when we start getting party wide banter about Erevain, there is a little confusing interjection by Imoen. After Hrothgar says,” I don’t know about all because I have not met many Everskan elves on my journeys, but Erevain did seem to be the pessimistic type”. Then Imoen interjects, “Pretty good magic-user though and an okay fellow…as long as you didn’t listen too him too closely that was”. This made me think Imoen was talking about Erevain and not Xan which was confusing because how would she know anything about Erevain other than the brief talk we all had in Easthaven? Perhaps prefixing her statement with something like "Xan however...", etc. would help clarify that.

I would also like to add that this is all very good dialogue by the way. Just triggered very late for some reason...

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 07:28 am Post subject:

Presio’s apprentice was actually trickier for me to defeat (land the killing blow for exp.) than Presio, because of all the undetectable traps in the area. She kept dying due to the cloudkill traps.

Heading back to Kuldahar to sell off loot and then DE level 4…

Good experience award for revealing Eldathyn’s as Yuan Ti. The High Summoner didn’t summon anything. I seem to recall that he did this constantly until stopped in IWD. It made this level easy that’s for sure. Once again, Boo is a great mage, cleric disabler.

Marchon of Waterdeep’s party: Himself, Cristiana Knight, Reise Coppersky, and Iholikan Quinval, don’t turn hostile if another of them is made to turn hostile. Such as attacking, or failed PP attempt. In fact they pitch in to help you kill their own party member. Reise does not turn hostile at all if attacked. Furthermore, when he casts Time stop, he never seems to take advantage of it, he just stands there and waits for it to end. Sometimes Marchon or Iholikan will turn hostile if you attack one or the other, but only after they’ve helped to kill the one made hostile first. This party is very well equipped!

DE level 5…

The +2 Arrows from the Yuan-Ti Elite have the same icon as normal arrows. Is this intentional?

I like that Minsc can’t handle that the little girl is evil. Poor guy! Good party dialogue whenever she shows by the way.

The Histachi are worth 8000xp and the Yuan Ti Elite are worth 10000xp. The Histachi however are MUCH more difficult than the elite, and consequently should be worth more exp. imo. Or their exp awards switched perhaps, if you don’t think they should be worth that much.

Chev
Tutor

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 08:18 am Post subject:

JohnTheMutt wrote:
Presio’s apprentice was actually trickier for me to defeat (land the killing blow for exp.) than Presio, because of all the undetectable traps in the area. She kept dying due to the cloudkill traps.

I thought they had been fixed?

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 10 Jan 2005 07:32 am Post subject:

After the 2nd batch of Histachi and the Baptist, we went back to Marchon’s group and took a much needed rest. Afterwards, Imoen and Hrothgar had a good banter about youth and romance…

Imoen died in the battle with Yxunomei and upon raising her from the dead, she immediately went into her, “No, no I’m not dying here…I have to get to the surface!” dialog and left our party. She still contains script or something from Chateau Irenicus apparently. Reloading and trying again…

No problems this time. Very good party dialog when defeated Yxunomei. I am really enjoying this. Good job!

Orogs in Kuldahar. The villagers don’t seem to mind their own slaughter. They stand still and docile about it. How about adding some panic?

The ancient enemy has killed Arundel, and now Hrothgar is persuading us all to go with him to the Severed Hand…of course we go, and this dialogue on everyone’s part is very good! Lots of great dialogue…which makes this whole thing very enjoyable. Thanks!

Extremely slow transition screen again… Sorry, but, not a fan of this particular music piece either.

We get to the Severed Hand and Larrel comes out and blasts the squirrel…we take some fireball damage. It’s a slow cutscene. Perhaps, since the ‘fog of war’ gets lifted later anyway, we could watch Larrel come out of the SH, dialogue with the squirrel, kill it, and then make his way back into the SH. Just an idea to help eliminate the “Why are we just standing here forever?” question…

Very good dialogue after the cutscene is over. Hrothgar is evasive still, but we continue onward.

WOW!! The animation/ drawing of the Doom guards are very cool! The fights on the first floor are hard but very enjoyable! I’m being a little lazy and going for frontal assault, which is making it challenging, heh.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 07:25 am Post subject:

Something else I noticed about the +2 arrows that you get from the Yuan Ti Elite (I’m using a lot of these now…), they do not have an icon associated with them from the main interface screen. For example, Minsc right clicks his bow and he can see and pick normal arrows and then there is an invisible slot, which, when tabbed, shows that it contains +2 arrows. They seem to work okay, it’s just that it seems I am shooting invisible arrows…

Really in all honesty, Skeleton Archers seem much tougher than ordinary skeleton warriors and imo ought to be worth more experience, rather than just 500 more. Perhaps 5000xp or 5500xp? Just a thought.

Accalia and Hrothgar had banter about Accalia’s misgivings with the lack of faith or suspicions that the party has in Hrothgar, and whether they will take the next available portal away. Again, very good dialogue. Then, soon after, Accalia grilled the PC on what he would do given a portal appeared. Whew! Put the PC on the spot!!

In the tower with the clerics, there seems to be some undetectable traps.

The amulet of Sehanine Moonbow shows the same icon and description when right clicking it from the main interface screen. How to know which is Find Traps or which is Know Alignment?

After talking with Kaylessa, there was a long party wide banter about putting the soldiers of the hand to final rest. Soon after Accalia and Hrothgar had banter about the astrolabe and the PC possibly leaving them again.

Huge undetectable (by normal means) and undisarmable trap in the ‘governing’ tower of SH. It’s on the 1st floor, but casting the spell 'Find Traps' detected it. It’s enormous! Sheesh! When trying to disarm it, Imoen has to walk across it and triggers it. It is not a kill trap however.

Nice items by the way. I like the Potions of Superior Healing, Boots of the Fox (the +1 to AC is cool), Also I found some Elven chainmail which is very nice! I am curious about the “Rithtellium Ore”? That will be interesting to discover its use if it has one… Trollslayer is a good, well…, troll slaying sword. Wish I had this one in Dragon’s Eye, heh heh. Also have the ‘Dominant’ for my Sorcerer, along with the ‘Barrier Amulet’. Hell’s bane sword. The items are not too overpowered, yet offer some uniqueness which makes them worthwhile to keep and will provide another strategic advantage in the main game after Nej1 is over. Well done!

I cannot seem to find an honorable dialogue option when talking with Larrel, that would satisfy both Hrothgar or Accalia. Even when I say to Larrel “Take us to Dorn’s Deep”, they still think that I am trying to betray my word to help them. This is frustrating. They should know that I am trying to go to Dorn’s Deep and at least recognize my intent to help.

Furthermore, there is not the proper dialogue option after talking with Larrel about the astrolabe, to instead go to Kuldahar. You have to pick that option before even talking with Larrel about space/time/and the astrolabe’s ability to harness it. Because once Larrel is done talking with Geralith and heads back to talk to you…you’re going back (compulsory dialogue), and there is no option for Kuldahar in there at all.

I found another interesting thing out. If you ‘force’ (select the dialogue button) talk with Hrothgar up here, he will talk about the Dragon’s Eye and it’s areas you have already been to and so will the rest of the party. They will banter about Dragon’s Eye and its areas, as if they are currently there. This is definitely misplaced…

Back in Kuldahar, and had some party banter upon arrival. Gave Orrick his book on Mythals and have the excellent Mithran’s Cloak and some exp as reward. Selling some items before the journey back…

Before entering the portal in Arundel’s, I forced dialogue with Hrothgar and that triggered the same misplaced dialogue and party banter that I got in the SH before Larrel…

Also when attempting to enter the portal I actually got the verbal component for Hrothgar and Dar’s dialogue, which was not present when going through the Astrolabe portal.

I like the music in the transition screen this time. It's fast but it seems to fit better. The text is still extremely slow...

When you wake up in the candlekeep library you are still showing items and weapons in your quickslots that you don’t actually have. Also it is possible to go up and down the stairs (not the bottom stairs that lead to Gorion) and the area will reset each time, allowing an endless supply of whatever is in the shelves. I imagine that if my main PC was a thief instead of a sorcerer, then I could take what’s in the locked chests and cabinets each time as well. So far I have several copies of ghost armor, Protection from Petrification, Protection from Normal Missiles, and gold necklaces. Some gold is to be had as well each time…

Okay were all back in Chateau Irenicus, with Hrothgar and Dar still in our party. Accalia left in the SH.

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 09:16 am Post subject:

Overall Impression of Nej1:

I really enjoyed this mod a lot, and will definitely be installing and testing its compatibility with others after the beta testing is over.

The difficulty is very challenging in certain areas, if you’re lazy like me, and this forced me to adopt different strategies in overcoming them. The only thing that’s really lacking with some of the enemies is a good scaling of experience award. But those are few and noted already. Their AI seemed pretty good to me.

My sorcerer went up about 3 levels. This is good because it makes the mod worthwhile enough from the point of view for obtaining experience, but not so much that it would unbalance the game later. It gives a small advantage but nothing ridiculous.

The tomes are very welcome and another great reason to go through the mod. Especially if someone needs to develop their PC’s abilities, those tomes really help, since there are not too many opportunities for ability increases in the main game.

The items were very balanced for the mod, I felt. Nothing ridiculously powerful, but definitely good enough to keep and most of it will be kept far into the main game I imagine. A couple of items, like Daisy for example, needs some complimentary support (bolts +1 and +2, etc.) to be made more useful in the game. Unless the intent is to provide something for later, such as in the main game or Nej2, etc. Also it would have been nice to have the sword Trollslayer earlier. Even, for example, if it had to be purchased. It will however prove to be a very nice addition as well as the flaming swords for Nalia’s quest to retake her Keep. The same goes for Tombsweeper. I wish that Dar could have had it for the Vale…heh. But these are all just really minor issues and overall my impression on all of the items is very positive to be sure.

The dialogue and banter between the NPC’s and including the PC are excellent! Some of the best I’ve seen in any mod. The dialogue was all intelligently done and gave evidence that a huge amount of time and effort was put forth into it. It’s not easy to write banter and dialogue that captures the essence of the established NPC’s, such as Imoen and Minsc. However this was done very well here! My next run through will be with Jaheira in party to see what her dialogue and banter is like… I could recommend the game on the dialogue and banter alone for the great depth it gives the NPC’s. Completely worth it imho.

I have mixed feelings on the music. Some of it I liked very much and other pieces not so much. This is purely subjective and a personal appreciation issue of which I wouldn’t expect any of it to be changed on my accounts. One person’s rap is another’s Mozart, etc. However I tried to be as honest as possible in my impressions.

The World Map; I wish that when I clicked on the world map, that I got the Icewind Dale map. This would have further added to that ‘Lost in Time’ feeling imho. And then switch back to the other world map when back in Amn.

Nevertheless, Vlad and Larrienne, you both deserve a big kudos for such a great mod and all the hard work you’ve both done on it. Well done and, thank you!

Now, onward to Nej2…

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 10:57 am Post subject:

Thank you very much John! I would like to add that Larrienne is really a great writer. I would also like to comment on your observations but I have decided to refrain meanwhile as many problems you mentioned have been already fixed during my last walkthrough including the dialogue with Larrel. I have posted the re-installation procedure of NeJ2 v2.1b in another thread. Good luck!

larrienne

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 04:47 pm Post subject:

Thank you very much for your words of appreciation John. It is really good to hear of the pleasure and enjoyment that this great mod brings to folks such as yourself, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Whereas I thank Vlad for his praise for my writing, it is he, who imo, has the toughest job. I only write, he does everything else that is required to turn this into a playable mod... by himself. (That includes scripting and making my writings compatible with the game ) A very dedicated modder if ever there was one, and very talented I would like to add.

JohnTheMutt wrote:
Overall Impression of Nej1:

The dialogue and banter between the NPC’s and including the PC are excellent! Some of the best I’ve seen in any mod. The dialogue was all intelligently done and gave evidence that a huge amount of time and effort was put forth into it. It’s not easy to write banter and dialogue that captures the essence of the established NPC’s, such as Imoen and Minsc. However this was done very well here!

Thank you again John. (Could do with a blushing smiley here... somehow the embarrassed icon doesn't convey quite the same emotion) However, believe it or not, it is far easier to write for already established NPC's because their characters and mannerism's are set and if you have played this game as many times as I have, you come to feel you know them very well.
Whereas with new NPC's, they have to be given characters that you folk out there will enjoy and want to recruit time and time again. If I could make them solely for my own enjoyment and then yes, they would be very easy to develop.

May you enjoy NEJ2 equally as much.

Vlad
Admin

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 10:49 am Post subject:

Quote:
Mother Egenia then moves into the area where more villagers were kept and hangs out. Now, when Imoen was invisible she saw some of the villagers here but now we didn’t get a chance to see any or talk to any. Is this the only way that it is possible, by sneaking past the Talonites, to interact with these villagers? Also Mother Egenia never really explains why she hangs out here. How come she doesn’t make a beeline for Kuldahar and her temple? Is she staying to support us? It keeps me wondering what’s up with her... also it would be neat to follow her around the corner and all the villagers here clamor towards her saying something like “Mother Egenia your safe!”; “Mother Egenia, can we leave now? Is it safe?”, etc. With Mother Egenia saying something like, “Everything is okay now my children. Hrothgar and his friends have freed us. You may all leave safely back to Kuldahar. The way is clear for you now. I will stay here and help support Hrothgar and his friends to end this threat once and for all!”, and the villagers saying something like; “Thanks Hrothgar”, etc. as they leave…

John may I suggest you write this yourself and I'll implement it as a cutscene?

Last edited by Vlad on 19 Jan 2005 07:07 am; edited 1 time in total

JohnTheMutt
Expert

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 04:12 am Post subject:

Sure Vlad! Thanks for considering my ideas. Well, I'm not a writer, but I'll give it my best shot anyway.