Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I don't play Enhanced Editions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Vlad's Compilation
Vlad
I just want to attach my screenshot from BGIIEE. Taking away all political issues, I just want to show how bad graphics is there compared to the original. I really don't understand why all animated characters must look like stickers (with black borders surrounding them). Also, the picture when zoomed is very blur compared to the original. And why the imps are multiplying? laugh.gif

[attachment=4372:Clipboard01.jpg]

ALIEN
If other players also pay attention to such details and they think that that this is how EE-versions look like, fear not, everything can look the exactly as original game.

This is how the same place looks like when you use:
"Options>Graphic"
- Disable "Sprite Outlines" to disable black borders
- Enable "Nearest Neighbor Scaling" to disable blur

Settings which I highly recommend:
"Options>Graphic"
- Disable "Allow Scrolling Out Of Bounds"
- Disable "Greyscale on Pause"

Imp's are spawned until you disable the machine via nearby switch just like the original.
Vlad
No, that's not the same. What you see in my screenshot is the sprite outlines option disabled. The animations still look like stickers on a PC even with your settings. And this has nothing to do with "paying attention to details". That just is very annoying to see stickers moving on the painted map. The scaling is non-proportional as well. I also don't like the EE isometric angle of view. It's not the same as in the original game in a widescreen as I play. Anyway, this is my personal impression. Anyone who likes EE over the original version, can suit themselves well. I personally don't find any single superior feature in the EE over the original version. Really. Regarding the imps, that was a joke.
ALIEN
QUOTE(Vlad @ Dec 22 2018, 08:14 PM) *
No, that's not the same. What you see in my screenshot is the sprite outlines option disabled.

As you can see on my screenshot, they are gone completely. Clearly, you didn't disabled it. You can check "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\baldur.lua" if you have 'SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Sprite Outlines','0')'

QUOTE(Vlad @ Dec 22 2018, 08:14 PM) *
The animations still look like stickers on a PC even with your settings. And this has nothing to do with "paying attention to details". That just is very annoying to see stickers moving on the painted map. The scaling is non-proportional as well. I also don't like the EE isometric angle of view. It's not the same as in the original game in a widescreen as I play.

The animations look and feel the same as classic game, on every system which I've tested. Moving character, running, spell etc. How they could be different since it's the same animation files and the same animation code? I've tested it using 30 FPS and 60 FPS, they are match frame-to-frame.

Scaling and isometric angle of view are also exactly the same:

BG2 Widescreen 1600x900

BG2 EE:

It's clearly the problem with you PC/setting/whatever, not with EE.
Vlad
Thanks, Alien, for the info and detailed comparison. If this is really the case - after your made the appropriate tuning - and you receive exactly the same look (as I see from the screenshots), so I become even more convinced that Beamdogs are selling air. The version re-released by Beamdog has nothing to do with "enhancement" or "improvement". It's just a way for Beamdog to milk the classic titles. I still cannot understand how it's possible to take an old but gold game and start selling it again. The so-called "enhancements" are just mods available for years for free from the community. Nobody sells mods but Beamdogs. People are really stupid supporting them. I really don't understand why the modding community is so excited about this crook business. People should stay away from anything produced by Beamdog and not to support them. This way you'll show respect to the original creators and to modders creating a new and high-quality content for years and for free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.