Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EET-Compatibility
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Rjali NPC
Seewead
Yes, I now, I now: Yet another topic with even more wishes (equals more work for you). How can I even think of asking for that?

Well, I hope, in the end you find it in your heart to forgive myself biggrin.gif . Just a longterm-wish of mine. Haven't played Siege of Dragonspear yet, but the very idea of playing all parts of the saga in a row with the enhanced edition, is so appealing that I'd like to dream about that.

Of course, you know all about the EET-Projekt ( http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=195 ). And nowadays EET is supported by BWS ( https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/704157 ) *does a happy dance*. Sure, there may be a couple of months of bug-solving ahead (as always), but as far as I am informed, it is already fully playable for quite some time.

It would mean so much for me, to have your mod (in my personal eyes: THE mod) included in the list of mods that are compatible ( http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741 ). Or maybe it already is and nobody told the guys at EET?

With my best regards, Seewead (Rob)

nullset
Seewead, you know not what you ask.

I am currently working on the Jini mod for BG, which got delayed for several monthes because WeiDU stopped working. It turned out to be caused by the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10, which also knocked out my NWN game. I have regressed my opsys to before that update and no-op'ed the automatic update, but I have yet to get back to serious debugging. There are some early design flaws to be worked out, and I am nowhere near SoG yet.

To setup for EET, I might have to produce an EET version combining Jini and Rjali. A number of the romance mods covered by Rjali are not (yet) compatable with EET. Area handling and, in particular, the navigation of SoA areas in ToB would need reworking. This is NOT a simple project.

I had hoped to have Jini out by this summer, but I'm not sure I can make it now. I suspect that the EET version would take well over a year and involve a great deal of stress over the status of other mods needed by Rjali.

I'm old now and not getting any younger. I suspect that Jini will be my last modding effort.
Seewead
Dear Nullset, you have done so much already for the community of baldurs gate - no one could ask for more!

Nullset wrote: "This is NOT a simple project." Dear Sir, I am not questioning this, at all. I bet, it would even mean a ton of extra-work! I am just asking further to understand the complexity of the matter, honestly:

A.
Well, I read about the conversion of mods for EET-support here ( http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27751 ). As far as I understand this, at least your new Jini-Mod, that you are currently working on, should pose no problem for EET. In the forementioned place it says:

"3. BG:EE only mods
If the mod is compatible with BG:EE and only has BG1 content than adding compatibility can be achieved in two different ways. Either let the mod be installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE (no problem if the mod doesn't conflict with BG2 content - this can be checked with another tool available in the package - let me know if you would like your mod to be supported by EET this way) or implement native compatibility."

So - problem solved for the upcoming Jini-Mod? Because I can just install it before EET? Can it be that simple? That would be just to good to be true! smile.gif Either way, I hope I am allowed to ask: Since you are creating your new Jini-Mod from scratch - you think, it would be possible to give it even native support? In any way it will mean very much for me, looking forward to a new run of the game in the future, combining your Jini-Mod, EET and Siege of Dragenspear! Just imagine! tongue.gif

B.

When it comes to the Rjali-Mod, so far I was under the impression, that the conversion would be hard work, but at least possible. If I may quote again the forementioned text:

2. BG2:EE only mods
If the mod is compatible with BG2:EE and only has BG2 content than adding compatibility is a matter of minutes.

Well, I bet, this is only a sweet little lie biggrin.gif . As far as I have understood the problem so far, two aspects need to be adressed:

Because EET uses a continuous journal and chapters system that keeps track of all 22 chapters of your journey, the chapters of SoA have to be renamed (from 13 to 19 instead of 1-7). Same goes for TOB (chapters from 20 to 22 instead of 8-10). Am I correct so far?

"Sounds like a nightmare thing to do manually? No worry, both GAME_IS patching and chapter variable implementation can be implemented automatically with EET_modConverter tool available within mod package." (http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27751 )

So, the EET_modConverter tool does it all by itself? Does that really work, man? I bet it does not function that smoothly by far!

And as far as I understand, a change of area-references could be nessesary MAYBE? At least EET supports a big-world-map, that seems to be optional to use though ( http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27749 ). Nevertheless is your RJali-Mod giving a lot of areas itself, so maybe this would lead to quite some amount of work for a conversion? Is this true?

O.k., here comes the real bummer: Nullset wrote: "A number of the romance mods covered by Rjali are not (yet) compatable with EET.". Yeah, I can imagine. For a perfect adaptation of your mod to EET, one would need to converse all the other romance mods to EET allright. But you know, what I think? The authors of these mods (or there successors) will do that in due time for themselfs. Why? Because EET will be the gold-standard shortly and THE way of playing the game, will it not be?

Uh, just some thoughts of mine. But let me unterline: I know for sure, that the EET-conversion for the RJali-Mod would pose a significant pile of work for you and that the conversion is not in sight. Simply because you have "all your hands full" with the birth of the Jini-Mod (can't wait for that, man!). As for you beeing old, dear Sir: Your modding-work says otherwise and proves your age a lie. cool.gif

Best regards, Seewead

nullset
OK, Seewead. After I get Jini up, I'll have another look at this. You will have to be patient, however, as that will be a matter of months. I just spent the last month fixing some bugs in Rjali, so my schedule for Jini has been set back.
Seewead
That sounds too good to be true. Thank you so much.

And I promise to be patient, Sir! dry.gif

Meanwhile enjoying your mod, Seewead

nullset
Seewead, the whole EET thing is gonna be set back again. While I will be releasing Jini in a few days, I find that I want to make serious additions to Rjali and issue a v8.0. Jini has a new character: Fay, who is a Will-O-The-Wisp who will tag along (sort of a familiar) with the PC's party without actually joining. She also has a sort-of-romance with the PC. I want to carry her on in BG2EE via the Rjali mod. There are also adjustments to be made in Rjali due to developments in the Jini mod which, after all, is the prequel to Rjali. I have no estimates yet on how long that will take. When your muse is pounding you on the head, you can but go where she leads.
nullset
Rjali v9.0 will add a segment AFTER the EOG. I don't think this can be made compatible with EET as it messes around in this area itself. I have given up on the idea of making Rjali EET compatible.
Seewead
Dear Nullset, I know this is a bit of a weary topic. You already thought a lot about how you could make your mod compatibel with EET. And you were kind enough to give us an update on your conclusions:

QUOTE(nullset @ May 7 2018, 08:05 PM) *
Rjali v9.0 will add a segment AFTER the EOG. I don't think this can be made compatible with EET as it messes around in this area itself. I have given up on the idea of making Rjali EET compatible.

After reading this I tried to calm my mind - be still my heart! - and lived on. dry.gif However, the most surprising thing happened. I loaded down your new mod version 9.0 and read the updated README:

"Q: How is the new expansion going to affect the Ascension and Redemption mods?
A: It shouldn't have any affect at all. Those two mods hook in on the finsol01.dlg file. My expansion hooks cut233i3.bcs, the final cutscene for a non-ascending protagonist, the calling of which is the final action of the game in finsol01.dlg. I take over after they are finished."

So if your are sorcerously (is that a word?) able to make the EOG-Addon compatibel with Ascension and the lot, is there still hope for EET?, I wonder.

I hope you forgive me my highly inappropriate insistence. tongue.gif It's just that everybody seems to be making mods and updating old mods primarily for EET. ohmy.gif But wether or not it is possible, your mod is just great. thumb.gif

Best regards and thanks, Seewead

nullset
@Seewead Probably won't work. Just set up a download for v8.5, because a user informed me that it was the last version that could be made to work with BGT. I was completely unaware the ANY version could work with BGT, but the major change to V9.0 was the EOG extension, and it would NOT work with BGT (I was informed). I suspect that BGT and EET tinker with the EOG mechanisms to bridge between games, thus rendering my v9.0 and up unworkable in those environments. Oh, what a tangled web we weave...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.