Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hints and undocumented features
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
Vlad
As the title said, I'll list here all the features that are not documented as well as hints for the walkthrough. I suggest that everyone who has something to add here, please do so.

1. You don't really need a mage for the first part.
2. You need at least two mages in the second part.
3. If you think Vale of Shadows is unbearable, consider different strategies. Front assault never works in the first part.
4. Melora can take her sword to Halruaa. In fact, she is hiding it in a sleeve (or somewhere else) of her big mage robe. But don't equip it unless you reach sewers.
5. Melora and Taffic are antagonists and have a plenty of banters and interjections. They both are formidable characters, and I highly recommend to keep them both in your party. Their quests are also overlapped, so enjoy this crazy pair.

My party for the first part: PC (fighter dualled to mage at level 10, in Dragon's Eye), Imoen (Charming Rogue kit), Jaheira (Priest of Sylvanus kit), Shar-Teel, Hrothgar, and Dar.
You can join Accalia instead of Jaheira, but she will not follow you to the second part. But I've replaced Jaheira with Taffic as well.
So, my party for the second part: PC (fighter dualled to mage), Melora, Taffic, Shar-Teel, Hrothgar, and Dar.
In the third part, I had to send away one NPC getting Imoen back. The most obvious choice would be Melora, but I loved this hobbit girl so much, so Taffic had to leave.
Leina is another great NPC, and a male protagonist can romance her. But you need to work for Bodhi in that case.

6. Ring of Might

To get the help of Owain for the final enhancement of the ring, the stats of PC/NPC who speaks to him should be:

INT > 14
WIS > 11
CHR > 14

7. You cannot bring rithelium weapons from the past. They will be destroyed on the way back from Halruaa to the future.
8. There is an evil option (only for the most evil characters) in the quest of Dar to sell slaves. Just follow the dialogue.
9. All quests (of Dar, Melora and Taffic) are round up in Candlekeep, so it might be a good idea to get their quests first.
10. In order to gain an entrance to Candlekeep, you need to donate a book, as usual. Of course, many ancient books (particularly those that Custhanos gave you to read) would be considered invaluable by collectors and librarians in your time - don't throw them.
11. There are two possible scenarios in the end of Taffic's quest. After obtaining the demon's blood, you should go directly to Trademeet to talk to Rhezon. This is the first scenario. The second scenario takes place if you rest on your way to Trademeet, or just don't go there. In that case, Taffic will steal the blood and escape to Trademeet alone. You may chase him, and there will be an additional plot, which I won't reveal here. smile.gif
12. Since the quest of Shar-Teel starts in Copper's Coronet when Lord Firkraag recognises Shar-Teel as Angelo's daughter, if he he doesn't see Shar-Teel, the quest won't start. It means, you should let Shar-Teel to talk to Firkraag, or place her nearby during the first conversation with him, so he can see her. Otherwise, he will give you his normal quest to clear WH from orcs and then leave.
13. Esmond is in Cloakwood (there is only one area of the Cloakwood forest available on the NeJ map). However, he will appear there with his beasts only when Durbin or Firkraag give you a hint.
14. Enhanced Copper Coronet is an optional component and you may decide not to install it, but enhanced Firkraag's dungeon is *a must*. So prepare well before you go there.
15. Leina's quest starts immediately once you approach the Copper Coronet. A messenger boy dressed in a yellow shirt standing on the roof of the Copper Coronet will summon you to the Five Flagons. There is no rush to visit the FF, so you may attend to many other quests in the meantime. The barkeep of the FF has an important favour to ask of the group.
16. When the group enters Leina’s room, they see obvious signs of a struggle (Leina’s musical instruments are there too), a clear indication to the group that she did not leave voluntarily. You should pick up her instruments. If not, Leina will insist on returning to the tavern for them after her release. A search of the room reveals the crumpled roses and love letter, tossed carelessly into a corner.
16. In order to have access to Vulova's estate, you must join forces with Bodhi. Otherwise, Leina is lost for you. If you feel that you cannot betray Shadow Thieves, let me remind you who is responsible for bringing you to Irenicus.
17. Govan Duvaine can be found in the Copper Coronet drinking hard with his friends (he is sitting there).
18. Before you enter the maze under Vulova's Estate, prepare well, as there will be no supplies and you cannot rest there. Have a good thief (Melora or Yoshi) with you to disarm multiple traps.
19. Leina's pedant can be competed by combining her mother's and father's pedants in one. This is truly formidable item which only Leina can wear.
20. Leina's flirts are many and available by clicking on her Talk icon. You'll have three different sets of flirts (one after another), dependent on the stage of your relationship with her. And there will be an additional set of flirts, specific for Halruaa.
21. Probably the last tip before the final release as I'm testing it now and see one problem. There are many banters and interjections, means all the NPCs are very talkable. However, they cannot initiate a dialogue or interject if they don't see each other or your protagonist. So, if you have a thief or mage with the invisibility option, please don't keep him/her invisible all the time, only when it's needed. I'm wielding a staff which makes my mage permanently invisible, and I discovered this problem.
22. The best weapon against doom guards and doom warriors is a crushing weapon, such as hammers, maces and flails, even non-magical.
23. Romance with Leina is very easy to break. Please be very kind to her and very understanding, good listener. It means you should choose your responses wisely. Flirts will start only after the talk when she asks you to sit near her when the party rests.
24. Cromwell is now visiting his apprentice in Brynnlaw - hint. smile.gif
25. When you talk to a merchant Dirty LLew in Low Dorn's Deep, use spell Friends or something to increase the charisma of your female NPC, for example Imoen. Then prices of his store significantly drop, as well as some additional items may appear.
26. As for Aldwin and his inn in Kuldahar, buy anything you want from his store before you're showing him the ring. After revealing him as a thief, his store will change either in your favour or opposite, but items will be different.
27. It just happens that many love talks with Leina take place outdoor (forest, for example). So try to rest outdoor, not inside dungeons, particularly if you see no love talks for a long time. Also, listen to Leina when she asks you something. If she wants a bath tonight in some inn, choose any inn in Athkatla and stay one night there. smile.gif
28. When you return to Easthaven, don't forget to take the enchanted Johnen's sword.
29. Return to Kuldahar - from the Air portal in the Underdark.
30. Save, save and again save. If you feel opponents are tough, try different tactics. If they become easy, increase the difficultly level in your game settings. Anyway I would be happy to discuss the balance of the game.

There are several changes in the main game which I've introduced:
1. Enhanced guards in Copper Coronet (optional component)
2. Enhanced Flail of Ages + 5 - you can get in De'Arnise Hold
3. Improved Ring of Kangaxx

To be continued...
Senka
2. You need at least two mages in the second part.

Two mages? Why?
Vlad
It depends on the level. It's difficult in Halruaa with only one mage of level 11-12.
Vlad
31. You may ask Hrothgar to teleport you from the BG1 areas back to Athkatla.
Vlad
32. In Halruaa, first of all, you need to find and get the key and letter from the large quarters building on the right side of the academy grounds (the first room on the left). Otherwise, Garron may not appear in his quarters until you meet RayVon, and as a result, you may not have enough time to complete all the quests. Only after that, you may search the senior staff quarters for other directions.

33. Owain may no longer want to enhance the ring.

34. If you really want a good romancable NPC with a lot of talks and flirts through the whole saga, take Sime with you. She is available from my compilation mod as a TS character written by Domi. I've enhanced her a bit with better stats, proficiencies, items and appearance to match a general level of the NPCs in NeJ3 and in the whole game. I may enhance her further because I really like her (open for suggestions).
Bombur
Hey Vlad,

Still an awesome mod. But how do I get into part 3? I can cheat my way there. But I haven't found the real way to do it.

Oh, and what happened to Sime's audio? She used to have full voicing. Did my install get borked?

Bombur
Senka
But I haven't found the real way to do it.
Hi! Try air portal in Underdark
Did my install get borked?

No. It's removed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.