Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestion for the Herbs & Potions Mod
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Small mods, tweaks and fixes
Silencer150
Yes, I registered just to pitch my crazy idea, because this forum doesn't allow guest posting like the other BG2 mod forums.

I recently decided to give this mod a try, in hopes that it had what I was looking for. It's a very useful feature to say the least, especially since I usually end up with tons of extra gold the way I play. My favorite strategy for BG1 and early SoA is to turn one character invisible, protect him/her from fire, walk into a crowd of enemies, and then drink (not throw) oils of fiery burning. It works like Sunfire without dispelling invisibility. The problem was that until now, explosive potions were quite rare in the game.

My suggestion however has to do with the possibility of allowing the herbalist to brew together existing potions (for a fee of course). Perhaps this could be done in a separate menu from the herb combinations. The combinations would be directly analogous to the herb combinations, so for example a healing potion + sleeping powder = a potion of clarity.

The major combinations I had in mind however had more to do with space-saving and convenience. Specifically they'd let you combine those dinky little healing potions (9 HP) into a potion of extra healing (27 HP) or several of those into a potion of superior healing (40 HP). I think a 10:1 ratio would be a reasonable tradeoff. Also, the Oversight mod gives Sendai 2 drow healing potions that essentially have a Heal effect and restore all HP. Perhaps you could brew 10 potions of superior healing into one drow healing potion, for a reasonable sum of gold.

I know that the Herbs & Potions mod hasn't been updated in a while, so just a thought in any case.
Baronius
Hello Silerncer150!

Thank you for your suggestions. I especially like the idea of combining healing potions in such a non-additive way. Unfortunately, I can't even work on my mod projects of a higher priority, so I can't promise that I return to this project in the near future. Nonetheless, there is more than enough space to reserve great ideas (and ideas don't ask to eat), so thanks again for your feedback. I have many ideas in my mind too, how to create a much more versatile and rich mod from this field (brewing, potions, herbs, etc.) -- there is much unused "potential" in this field.

As far as your remark about guest posting is concerned: indeed, we don't allow guest posting unlike many other BG2 forums, and this is one of the reasons our forum quality is much higher than of those certain other BG2 forums.
Silencer150
Since I already started a new topic here, I might as well use it to report a minor bug.

The Acidic Explosive does not create the acid cloud like it's supposed to. It just explodes in a fireball like an Oil of Fiery Burning. The Concentrated Acidic Explosive does however create the persistent acid cloud.
Baronius
Thanks for the report, Silencer150!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to fix the necessary file, but if someone does it, I can include it in the next release (whenever that will be).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.