Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Expressing dialog properly
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
pasco95
Howdy,
This might sound odd but I was wanting peoples ideas on how to express in text unintelligable sounds, for example someone who has had their tongue cut out (sounds morbid I know!) but is trying to talk, what kinds of sounds might they make and how would you write them.
Cheers
Sir_Carnifex
Well, thinking of all the weird things to write for this can be quite humorous.

These two come to mind:

Gagged: "Mmmph"

Choked: Grrnnkk!

I have to admit I'm a bit at a loss of what to write for the tongueless character. But really, nearly any combination of consonants with a lack of vowels will do for some sort of sound. smile.gif

pasco95
Cheers mate,
I'm having a bugger of a time trying to come up with something that's going to give the feel to the dialog without it sounding to stupid!
Thanks for your ideas.
Moongaze
"Euuueeeeaaahhhaauueee!" ...is really all I can think of for a tongueless character. Doesn't look very promising, does it?
Sir_Carnifex
Looks more like a yodel, if I may say so. smile.gif

But yeah, that tongueless character has me stumped, too.
Moongaze
I thought that was more along the lines of "Ooohhdeliodeliodeliodeliodeliojohuuuiiiiiiiiiiii~~!!".
A tongueless character would prolly sound more like a dimwitted yet distressed ogre with an INT score of -30, sans feeblemind of course.
pasco95
Without spoiling too much, my ideas are more along the lines of someone who once was perfectly articulate but has had their tongue cut out, e.g. like a slave to keep them quiet, so they have the ability to speak just not the means, not really someone who is dimwitted! tongue.gif . Thanks anyway, i'll keep trying to figure something out.
Moongaze
I didn't imply your character was dimwitted. Merely that sounding that way doesn't exactly sound intelligent. "Eeeiii..ey uuh ouu muuhh tuuunngg!!" (hey, they cut out my tongue!!) ...
pasco95
Hahaha! No worries, no offence taken laugh.gif Getting close to what i'm thinking of!
Sir_Carnifex
Eeeiii..ey uuh ouu muuhh tuuunngg!!" (hey, they cut out my tongue!!) ...

Only thing wrong that I can see is that he wouldn't be able to pronounce the "T" in "tongue" since the tongue is needed to make that sound. Therefore it would be "unnnngg".
Moongaze
True.
*hits self*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.