If you have a non-English version of the game or you have access to such games, please read this!

It would be good to know the possible values of the Language field (and their meaning, i.e. what language). The Bioware Aurora TLK format specifies values, but I checked a few tlk files of Infinity Engine games and they seem to be different.

I asked tlk files from players (thanks to dzidek1983, Graoumf, Isaya, Januszka and Ilot for their help), with the criterion that they should be unmodded files. My results are as the follows (I couldn't get a file for some languages, this is why some of them are unknown):

English bg1 dialog.tlk: Language = 0
French bg1 dialog.tlk, dialogf.tlk: Language = 1
Spanish bg1 dialog.tlk, dialogf.tlk: Language = Unknown
Italian bg1 dialog.tlk (dialogf.tlk unknown): Language = 0
German bg1 dialog.tlk: Language = 3
Polish: bg1 dialog.tlk: Language = 0

English bg2 dialog.tlk: Language = 0
French bg2 dialog.tlk, dialogf.tlk: Language = 1
Spanish bg2 dialog.tlk: Language = 2
Italian bg2 dialog.tlk: Language = 8, dialogf.tlk: Language = 1
German bg2 dialog.tlk: Language = 3
Polish: bg2 dialog.tlk: Language = 0

I'm not 100% sure that all files are unmodded (I'm sure those who helped me tried to do their best when getting the files, but perhaps even they didn't know whether the file has been modded/converted or not). If they are indeed unmodded, then some of the values are really interesting. For example, Italian bg1 dialog.tlk has a Language value of 0, its BG2 dialogF.tlk had 1, and BG2 dialog.tlk had 8 (!). These confused me a bit, because I started to think that I had found the values:

English: 0
French: 1
Spanish: 2
German: 3
Italian: 4 (???, it does not seem to be so)
Polish: 5 (no, it seems to be 0 for both BG1 and BG2)

Note that these are different from the values of the Aurora TLK format. However, as I said, the Italian files I received confused me a bit, and I haven't received any Polish files yet.

Perhaps they didn't care about the Language field in case of BG1, and e.g. for the Polish version, the value is 0 (just like in case of the English version) even for BG2.

Does anyone have more specific/accurate information? I ask all those (probably owners of non-English versions) to check their dialog.tlk/dialogf.tlk, if possible. I've attached a very minor program (one exe file) to this post, simply run it in the same folder where you have dialog/dialogf tlk files (so probably in your game folder), and it will read the value from the file. You will get an output such as "Value of Language field: ", just write down the number(s) and post it here (or PM it to me if you prefer that). If you can afford the time (and have more Infinity Engine games), please run it with all of the IE games you have. It would be good to confirm (or correct) the values we already know, and find the unknown values.