Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scriptable weapons? (maybe?!)
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
pasco95
I don't have PS:T but I read somewhere that Dakkon Zerths sword increased its damage with the characters level, is it possible to have hidden attributes on an item that only become available at a certain level such as increasing the magic resistance an item gives as you increase in level?
I have a tendancy to play paladins and therefore pretty much head straight to windspear hills, do the paladin stronghold quests, kick firkraags butt and grab Carsomyr, then it's an ass kicking spree from then on. This tends to make fights a little too easy though and I was wanting to limit Carsomyrs abilities to reflect your level, i.e. if you do what I do you're only about level 10 when you get Carsomyr and it's much too powerful that early in the game so I was wanting to, say, if you get it at level 10 it only does 1d10+3, doesn't dispel on hit and only gives 15% mr then when you hit lvl 15 say it does 1d10+5 can cast dispel magic 3 times/day and has 30% mr then at lvl20 it has its full abilities.
I know I went on a bit of a ramble then but I hope someone understands what I mean, is this possible?

Can you even script an item? I've got no idea but if this is possible I think it would be a nice tweak so that Carsomyr's still an awesome sword but you aren't hell bent on trying to get it ASAP so you can be a major tank.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sikret
You can add script to the game to replace different versions of the item with each other depending on your xp. You need to make as many versions of the Carsomyr sword as you wish (with different abilities) to be replaced with each other automatically via script.

Or you can add script to the game to summon a divine being each time your paladin hits a certain level to ask him whether he wants to replace the sword with its next version or he prefers some other bonus (or anything like that).

The script, however, won't belong to the weapon. The scripting blocks should be added to BALDUR.BCS and BALDUR25.BCS.
Tervadh
I think there's a better way to do this than inflating baldur.bcs which is already bloated enough on most installs due to extraneous talking weapons, etc. I'm just hypothesizing here, since I haven't really tested any of this, but you could, for example, give the weapon an ability to cast a custom spell (at caster's level rather than at a specified level). In turn, that spell would have "required level" headers which would get more powerful as level increased. And so at a certain level, the wielder could invoke the spell which could add a new ability to the sword (or, more likely, replace it with a more powerful version). Like I said, untested, but I think you could do it with opcodes #112 (remove specific item) and #143 (create item in slot).
igi
I covered this in a tutorial around 5 years ago (if not more).

The tutorial doesn't seem to be online anywhere (I'll upload it to TBG when I get my PC set up - I have a copy of it locally), but the concept item is still available: http://www.teambg.eu/memberpages/igi/mods/.../iiarmt(00).zip - it's armor that automatically changes colour based on the level of whoever has it equipped, with no scripting. The concept can easily be extended to something more useful than demonstrative.
pasco95
Thanks igi, I haven't implemented this in the game but I had a look at your files and it looks like this is the sort of thing i'm looking for. Are you able to email me the tute?
Small side track, does anyone know of an extended Paladin stronghold mod out there? I can't help but feel a bit ripped off everytime I play the game and do the paladin stronghold, it's too short, too easy and the reward at the end is too powerful that early in the game IMO, that's why I want to implement something like this in the game or even do an extended Paladin stronghold mod myself but i've a notoriuosly short attention span and rarely get any of my ideas past that, an idea!
Thanks for your help guys, I do like Sikret's idea of summoning a divine being to grant extra powers to the sword when you hit certain conditions, a certain level or fulfilling certain aspects of a quest, makes you have to prove you are worthy of wielding it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.