Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange DLG files
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
Sir_Carnifex
While searching around in InfinityExplorer, I've come across quite a few jumbled DLG files. For instance, DRIZZT.DLG has nothing but lines that are supposed to be said by Korgan. There are many other files that have a similar problem. I checked the dialogues using NearInfinity and got the same result. Despite this, the game itself works fine. When I meet Drizzt, he says all his lines without a problem.

Also, I've been trying to find Aerie's initial dialogue (the one in which she's an ogre). I can't seem to find this anywhere. The area file in IE doesn't even acknowledge her existence when it lists the creatures that are supposed to be in the circus tent.

My game is unmodded (except when I test my own) with all the patches and the baldurdash fixes. I don't see how it can run properly but give false info to the modding programs. Has anyone else had this problem?
jcompton
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ May 28 2008, 03:07 AM) *
While searching around in InfinityExplorer, I've come across quite a few jumbled DLG files. For instance, DRIZZT.DLG has nothing but lines that are supposed to be said by Korgan. There are many other files that have a similar problem. I checked the dialogues using NearInfinity and got the same result.

Bioware has a habit of building its games upon the ruins of previous games. BG2 is built upon BG1. There are myriad strings, items, creatures, DLG files, and on and on from BG1 which were packaged and shipped in BG2 for no reason except that "well, it works okay with them in, and we don't want to risk breaking anything by taking them out."

This includes lots of BG1 DLG files which still retain their structure, but which point to dialog.tlk entries which have been changed. DRIZZT.DLG is one such example. That was presumably his DLG file in BG1.

Despite this, the game itself works fine. When I meet Drizzt, he says all his lines without a problem.
In BG2, he is C6DRIZZ1.DLG.

Also, I've been trying to find Aerie's initial dialogue (the one in which she's an ogre). I can't seem to find this anywhere.

It is hiding from you in plain view. AERIE.DLG.

The area file in IE doesn't even acknowledge her existence when it lists the creatures that are supposed to be in the circus tent.
My game is unmodded (except when I test my own) with all the patches and the baldurdash fixes. I don't see how it can run properly but give false info to the modding programs. Has anyone else had this problem?

There are other ways creatures can appear in an area other than being statically defined in an ARE. They can, for instance, be created via script, or script action inside a dialogue. "Give false info" is perhaps a bit of an overstatement in this case.
Sir_Carnifex
Bioware has a habit of building its games upon the ruins of previous games. BG2 is built upon BG1. There are myriad strings, items, creatures, DLG files, and on and on from BG1 which were packaged and shipped in BG2 for no reason except that "well, it works okay with them in, and we don't want to risk breaking anything by taking them out."

This includes lots of BG1 DLG files which still retain their structure, but which point to dialog.tlk entries which have been changed. DRIZZT.DLG is one such example. That was presumably his DLG file in BG1.
It may work with them, but it sure is a pain! Thanks for the info.

It is hiding from you in plain view. AERIE.DLG.

Duh! Sometimes the ones that aren't hidden are the hardest to find. I can't believe I overlooked that. I checked Aeriex, Baerie, AerieJ, etc. and just missed that one. sad.gif

Hmm...on second thought, it was probably a sub-conscious effort to avoid finding Aerie. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.