Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WeiDU: what about files on other media
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
Baronius
Assume a player doesn't have a full installation of the game (it isn't common). In such a case, if a WeiDU TP2 installation script refers to some area-related file (WED, TIS etc.) that is obviously on a CD and the CD isn't in the drive, WeiDU returns an error. Editors such as DLTCEP also just show an error message, except IETME which asks the user to insert the CD.

I haven't seen any report ever where players had problems due to this. I assume it is because:
1. Players usually have a full installation
2. Practically no mods try to access such files (because there is no need to edit WED, TIS etc., such files are packaged with the mod and aren't taken from the local game installation).

I believe that the second reason is the dominant one.

In other words, if a mod wants to modify a local copy of some WED file and the player doesn't have a full installation (and the CD/DVD isn't inserted), there will be an error.

Can someone confirm all this?
The Bigg
Confirmed by loads of reports for Widescreen Mod for PST.
Baronius
Thanks. What solution was offered to those players in case of the Widescreen mod?
The Bigg
`Perform a full install. Instructions for performing a full install of PST are available here' (or variations thereof).

I might code the "insert game CD" prompt someday, but unfortunately it'd require a boring rewrite of portions of the biff access code (since WeiDU leaves the biff open for speed improvements) and some trickery to work properly in Mac/Linux.
Baronius
I see. Thanks for the information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.