Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vale of Shadows-problem with 3rd floor dungeon
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
Vardaman
I'm stuck on the third floor of the Vale dungeon. I've talked to Kresselak and gotten the quest to kill the follower of Auril but whenever I go to the exit, it Autosaves, dumps me on 2nd floor, autosaves, dumps me back on 3rd floor, autosaves, autosaves, autosaves and doesn't stop. Has anyone had this problem before? I tried deleting my Autosave and trying again but it didn't help.

I haven't killed the lich on the 1st floor yet. Is that a problem? I wanted to keep exploring before I went back to fight him. Is there some other element to the story I have to do first? I think I have all the keys so far since I've cleared all the caves up to this one.
Vlad
I have never heard about such problem. Please attach your WeiDU.log.
Vardaman
It is really bizarre.

I was concerned about incompatabilites so I uninstalled SOA and deleted everything in my Prog Files/Black Isle/BG II file. I did a clean install with SOA, TOB &TOB official patch as a base.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ]Component Name
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #0 // MULTI-STRONGHOLD. All the warrior classes (fighters, rangers and paladins) and monks may get the De’Arnise Keep as their stronghold in addition to another stronghold which is accessible according to their class. Also all dual- and multi-classes have no restrictions to the number of strongholds they may obtain.
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #2 // BONUS MERCHANTS. These are the two bonus merchants from the original BioWare Collector’s Edition CD.
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #5 // Baldurdash Fix Pack for ToB, v1.6 WeiDU
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #6 // Textupdatepack -> Baldurdash English Text Update Pack for ToB, v1.4 WeiDU
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // True Grand Mastery (extra half-attack, etc.) (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #10 // XP Cap Remover
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #11 // Allow Multi-Player Created NPCs to "Wait Here" When Kicked Out
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance: PC can romance one NPC (regardless of race/gender).
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #23 // Romance: PC can romance multiple NPCs concurrently, but must say the right things.
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #25 // Happy: NPCs won't fight with each other or leave the group.
~SETUP-SPSTUFF.TP2~ #0 #4 // Creslyn's BG2 Item Pack
~ABYSTORE/ABYSTORE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Unusual Oddities Shop
~SETUP-UNDERREP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Underrepresented Items From Icewind Dale 2
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #5 // Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #7 // Chosen of Cyric encounter
~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v5
~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install alternate class for Xan? -> Change Xan's class to Fighter/Mage
~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #5 // BG1-like flaming sword animation
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal)
~SETUP-THEFOUR.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Four
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Ilyich (requires ToB)
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Ritual (requires ToB)
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #9 // "Red Badge" Poison-Based Encounter
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #14 // Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
~SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil for SOA & TOB
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey Second Edition v6.91
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #5 // Boo - Familiar of Minsc (This component is not available in BG1!)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #7 // Additional content for Part II (beta)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #8 // Frostbite Animation (Turns a big wyvern into the frost wyvern. You may install and uninstall this component at any moment in the game.)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #12 // Areas & Sounds (This component is required to play NeJ2!)
~SETUP-NEJ2V693.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey Second Edition v6.93 (Patch)
Vlad
Well, you know my answer...
Vardaman
I reverted to an earlier save and didn't have the problem that time.

What was your solution?
Chev
hammer.gif

(The best I could do for a little kid with his hand up in class)

I know... I know...

"Only install approved mods"????

-------------------

NeJ2 is playable with other mods, but it is not supported with unapproved mods installed. Play then at your own Risk! newwink.gif
Sikret
Uninstall everything except Baldurdash fixpack, Improved Anvil and NEJ2 and start a new game, Vardaman.
Vlad
"Only install approved mods"????

laugh.gif

... and don' revert to an earlier save from another installation. wink.gif
Vardaman
Are any of the mods I have listed explicitly incompatible or are they just untested?
Baronius
I cannot answer your question (someone will probably do so), but one advice, for all players:

Sometimes even "tested" mods can be incompatible (even) in a (slightly) changed environment. Especially if the statement "I didn't encounter any bugs while playing the two mods together" is considered to be a successful test. (In other words, the results of a test greatly depend on the parametres of the testing environment -- e.g. other installed mods.) So tests must be defined and performed very carefully, and even in such a case, modders/testers often don't have enough time to make the necessary tests. (This is why most bugs should be avoided in the design/implementation phase of development.)
Vlad
Are any of the mods I have listed explicitly incompatible or are they just untested?

Those that are in your WeiDU.log. For example, you install EoU and is not aware of that several components of it is in Baldurdash. Also, EoU has several very suspicious tweask such as Romance tweaks #21-23. These components and others such as #25 strongly affects all NPC-related scripts, which is bad idea. That is why I would prefer to avoid any tweaking components in heavy modded games. Xan Romance is not compatible with NeJ2, as there is another Xan you meet in Halruaa, and the author of said mod did't and don't care about compatibility with NeJ2. Tactics should be also examined for compatibility with NeJ2. Item mods and components shouldn't pose a problem though. Like Baronius said, you might be lucky playing the whole game without a single problem, but if you encounter a problem I won't be able to help you. NeJ2 is a huge mode and has a lot of stuff to enjoy. Playing NeJ2, in my opinion, you don't need to bother with small components and tweaks. This way you'll equally enjoy the content and its stability.
kulyok
Xan BG2 NPC is fully compatible with NEJ technically and, as far as I'm aware of, it's technically compatible with any other mod out there. Xan NPC mod uses prefixes(see BWL prefix list), so there won't be any overlaps.

However, you will get two Xans in the same game, which is silly - the conceptual compatibility isn't there. There will be no crossmod content between the two, ever - Xan mod will not check for NEJ and vice versa. So, if you care for this, it's better if you don't play these mods together. If you don't care for the fact, feel free to play the mods together - however, you'll get technical help on Studios Mega-Mod installation forums, not here.
Sikret
Vardaman,

If you want to play the "IA+NEJ2" combo, BWL is the only place you can receive technical support or playing advice.

Do as I wrote in my previous post in this thread and report to us your progress.

Have fun!
Valiant
Agree with Sikret. Ultimately it is logical that the best help you can get is the help from the mod creators, here. Not anywhere else.
Vardaman
QUOTE(Vlad @ Nov 12 2007, 01:10 AM) *

Those that are in your WeiDU.log. For example, you install EoU and is not aware of that several components of it is in Baldurdash. Also, EoU has several very suspicious tweask such as Romance tweaks #21-23. These components and others such as #25 strongly affects all NPC-related scripts, which is bad idea. That is why I would prefer to avoid any tweaking components in heavy modded games. Xan Romance is not compatible with NeJ2, as there is another Xan you meet in Halruaa, and the author of said mod did't and don't care about compatibility with NeJ2. Tactics should be also examined for compatibility with NeJ2. Item mods and components shouldn't pose a problem though. Like Baronius said, you might be lucky playing the whole game without a single problem, but if you encounter a problem I won't be able to help you. NeJ2 is a huge mode and has a lot of stuff to enjoy. Playing NeJ2, in my opinion, you don't need to bother with small components and tweaks. This way you'll equally enjoy the content and its stability.

Ok, thanks for the response.

I'll refrain from installing EoU parts modifying NPC scripts in the future. It's not very useful and I'd be better off removing a possible source of problems.

I'll have to look for more detail of what's included in Baldurdash 1.64. I didn't install the core-bugfixes of EoU but didn't realize that other changes like the unnerfed THACO, etc could be included in BDash 164. (not that it is, but I admit I didn't read the BDash readme very closely.)

I didn't realize you meet Xan in Halruaa as I haven't gotten there yet. I guess I'll wait until after then to pick him up as an NPC. XD

If I run into any other conflicts, I'll reinstall and not include other mods. I might keep playing for now just to see if I have any other problems.

And thanks for the responses, everyone.
Vardaman
Has anyone else had problems with the Inferno Darts or the 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander? Both of these items have caused my game to crash. Is this because of my unsupported install or has anyone else had a problem with these items?

edit: spelling, I was tired when I first typed this post
Vlad
May I ask you how do Inferno Darts or the 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander relate to NeJ2?
Vardaman
QUOTE(Vlad @ Nov 30 2007, 01:15 PM) *
May I ask you how do Inferno Darts or the 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander relate to NeJ2?

I thought that they were added by NEJ since I bough Darts off a merchant in a NEJ area and found the Helm of Lathander in the Hall of Heroes. I'll look through my override folder to see if they were added by a different mod. My mistake.
Vlad
I have looked into TP2, and confirm that the Helm of Lathander is therein. Thanks for the report.
Senka
QUOTE(Vardaman @ Nov 30 2007, 04:39 AM) *
Has anyone else had problems with the Inferno Darts or the 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander? Both of these items have caused my game to crash. Is this because of my unsupported install or has anyone else had a problem with these items?

I bough Darts and used them and didn't use 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander. But I havnt any crashes...

Edit: If we speak of same Darts...
Vardaman
QUOTE(Senka @ Dec 1 2007, 06:26 PM) *
QUOTE(Vardaman @ Nov 30 2007, 04:39 AM) *

I bough Darts and used them and didn't use 'Cure Disease' ability of Helm of Lathander. But I havnt any crashes...

Edit: If we speak of same Darts...

Yeah, I'm talking about the Inferno Darts I think I bought in the Shattered Hand. It equipped and everything but then I got a Crash to Desktop when I tried to use them in combat.

The Cure Disease crash happened after I found the Helm in the Hall of Heroes.
Senka
Yes, the same. Don't noticed any wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.