Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, sound causes massive slowdown
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
Spike
Hi all. I hope someone can help me. I'm not sure if it's related to NEJ. Here is my problem:

I cant move my party in chateau Irenicus. It's more like a delayed beaming. Same in the first big area of NEJ. In the first two small rooms everything is fine.
First of all, I thought my installation isnt compatibel and some of the NPC scripts are messed up. I tried different combinations and sent some NPC away (Shar-Teel,Minsc, etc.), but no change. After that my hardware specs come to my mind (Notebook: CPU T2250, GPU something with shared memory). I did a defrag of my storage, turned off my virus prot. and other running processes, but again no change. Okay my graphic card is crap -> in config the graphic specs are set to below minimum (lowest option). Damn no enhancements. Coincidently, I lowered the sound specs and voila the game runs smooth. What is the problem?

/edit
Did some further testing. Its the "Disable All Ambient Sounds" option.

Here is my Weidu.log (weidu.v202)
CODE
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #5 // Baldurdash Fix Pack for ToB, v1.6 WeiDU
~SETUP-BDTOBV16.TP2~ #0 #6 // Textupdatepack -> Baldurdash English Text Update Pack for ToB, v1.4 WeiDU
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #1 // New Potion Graphics
~IMPROVEDBAMS/IMPROVEDBAMS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Inventory BAMs
~SETUP-IMPASYLUM.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Asylum Mod for BG2:ToB
~SETUP-IMPASYLUM.TP2~ #0 #1 // Spellhold Lich
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // True Grand Mastery (extra half-attack, etc.) (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #10 // XP Cap Remover
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-LONGERROAD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Longer Road v 1.5
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #4 // Proper spell progression for Bards
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #5 // Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #6 // Revised Thievery
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #7 // Chosen of Cyric encounter
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #8 // Shadow Thief Improvements
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal)
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Astral Shard Guardian
~SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil for SOA & TOB
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey Second Edition v6.91
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #7 // Additional content for Part II (beta)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #8 // Frostbite Animation (Turns a big wyvern into the frost wyvern. You may install and uninstall this component at any moment in the game.)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #12 // Areas & Sounds (This component is required to play NeJ2!)
~SETUP-BGTNEJ.TP2~ #0 #0 // Continuous and Custom Kit Imoen
~SETUP-BGTNEJ.TP2~ #0 #1 // New Imoen Portrait
~SETUP-BGTNEJ.TP2~ #0 #2 // Priest of Sylvanus (Druid) Kit and Improved Character Jaheira.
~SETUP-BGTNEJ.TP2~ #0 #3 // New Jaheira Portrait
~SETUP-BGTNEJ.TP2~ #0 #4 // Boo - Familiar of Minsc (This component is not available in BG1!)
~SETUP-NEJ2V691.TP2~ #0 #6 // "Firewalker" Shar-Teel (custom kit and continuous character)
~SETUP-NEJ2V693.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey Second Edition v6.93 (Patch)
~SETUP-TS.TP2~ #0 #0 // TORTURED SOULS v6.11
~SETUP-TS.TP2~ #0 #3 // AREAS & SOUNDS. This component is required to play the mod.
Vlad
Your problem is generic and has no connection to NeJ2. Moreover, your attached WeiDU.log clearly indicates that your installation is not supported. Please, bear this in mind.
Vardaman
I think I had this same problem. Character movement in CI was really laggy but it went away in the NEJ areas. If it persists when I return to the regular game areas, I'll try disabling all ambient sounds.

I never had this problem before while playing regular SOA or with any other mods but I'm not sure NEJ is the cause.

Ymarsakar
The slowdown in Irenicus dungeon and other parts of the map with character movement is caused by having too many stacks of ammo and stuff in bags of holding and other containers. Bottomeless bags are also a no no. You probably want to get 4 different bags of holding, without bottomless or any modification, and don't stack 1000 arrows in a container either.

The more items in a bag, the more lag.

The town in NEJ can also be affected by this. I don't recall changing the sound settings ever did anything for me.
WizWom
As I understand the structures used, it's not the ocunt, but the number of different items that might at all cause trouble.

But that would only be from a PartyHasItem() script check, which is fairly common in dialogs (where a lag is probably not a problem).

On-board sound often has no special buffer for sounds, so it uses the main memory, which is very likely to cause lag in places with lots of placed ambients - such as Athkatla.

You can try the "low mem sounds 1=1" (config option No High Memory Ambient Sounds) and "low mem sounds 2=1" (config option Disable all Ambient Sounds) settings in Baldur.ini
Also, try "Environmental audio=0"
Sikret
Quote from Spike:

I cant move my party in chateau Irenicus.

Since he was at the beginning of the game, he didn't have a lot of items (with or without bags), his slow down problems had nothing to do with items or containers. I think Spike had found the culprit and a solution himself (he indicated some such thing in his edit of the initial post).

For more general lagging problems (not those which happen at the beginning of the game nor those caused by sounds and ambients), general solutions and precautions are listed in IA's F.A.Q. (for players who have IA installed).
Bereth Darkides
What Sound Card are you using. This is an old problem. Creative Sound cards (for example) have a very short lifespan and Ambient Sounds use a lot of memory and require a lot of processing. This kills your sound card faster ( I went through 3 Creative sound cards in three years). Moreover, Ambient Sounds are quite tied into synchronization of graphics so if your processing power of your sound card is low this will effect your graphics as well. This is the most likely cause for your slow down.
It has nothing to do with your install.

hammer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.