Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What could cause this?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
Sebi
It's the first area after the portal.
The second area it's the same, but the minimaps are ok.
I'm using IAv3+TSv6.11+NEJv6.91.
IPB Image
Vlad
Well, maybe these are harware issues you've got. Maybe DirectX? I don't know. But it doesn't relate to the mod for sure.

[EDIT] ...and don't tell me that this is the first area after portal.
pro5
I think this used to happen with older weidu versions (before v192), when trying to biff TIS files with 0x18 header.
Vlad
And who does BIFFs them?
Sebi
QUOTE(Vlad @ Mar 10 2007, 09:15 PM) *

[EDIT] ...and don't tell me that this is the first area after portal.

Yes, is that area.

And i did biffs them, but i used weidu v1.98.
So that could case that? ohmy.gif
pro5
If you did biff them with weidu v198, then make sure all area files (*.WED, *.TIS, *SR.BMP, *HT.BMP, *LM.BMP and *.MOS) are in one same BIF file.
Vlad
Sebu, please enlighten me why did you decide to BIFF files? Did I mention this in the installation instructions? Sorry, for asking this, by it seems unwise to report bugs in this case.
Sebi
QUOTE(Vlad @ Mar 10 2007, 10:49 PM) *

Sebu, please enlighten me why did you decide to BIFF files? Did I mention this in the installation instructions? Sorry, for asking this, by it seems unwise to report bugs in this case.

For beggining, i didn't read al the readme. sad.gif I'm to lazy. wacko.gif
And i read somewhere on the forums(G3,SHS or PPG, i don't remember exacly)that if you biff the override folder(of any bg instalation) the game will run much better.And because my pc isn't so good... sad.gif

And at last i didn't believed that the error was related because i biff them.
Vlad
And because my pc isn't so good...

Sebi, it's not an issue. BIFFing files you just save a bit space on your hard disc.

i didn't read al the readme

To easy your life, and all those who do not read ReadMe, I put installation instructions in the pinned topic with the download link.

Anyway, if you wish to play this game without problems, just follow the installation instructions. That's very simply, I guess.
Sebi
OK, thanks for the answers.
I will reinstall the game.

And keep the good work. cool.gif
Vlad
Thanks. smile.gif
Ardanis
After using portal I got similar problems with tileset. I biffed tis and wav only.

I have a question. How am I supposed not to suffer from slowdown when having nearly 2GB within override? My computer is P4 2,4 GHz, RAM 512MB. If there is another way to solve a problem without biffing I'd be very grateful to know it. Really.

There is no mentioning about slowdown neither in readme nor in said pinned topic.
erebusant
The problem isn't so much biffing, as making the biff TOO LARGE. If you break the biffs up into no larger than 100-150Mb you shouldn't have any issues with the display breaking up that way.
Vlad
Ardanis,

Either you play or test. I did not say EXPERIMENTING. Get yourself another mod and experiment on it.
Ardanis
why did you decide to BIFF files? Did I mention this in the installation instructions? Sorry, for asking this, by it seems unwise to report bugs in this case.

Then how can I get game running smoothly?

Vlad, you seem to misunderstand. It wasn't my intent from the beginning - to biff. I biffed files for the only one reason - to remove slowdown. Without it framerate was twice slower than normal. And I'm asking - since biffing isn't recommended then can framerate be healed by some other means? As you can notice, I'm trying to follow your recommendations not to biff. I have bad memories about biffing, even if the most sane reason was my being noobish - last summer I got my game killed by biffing and had to reinstall.
Or am I the only person who experience lags with large override? Am I just unlucky?

I'm not going to experiment, I don't know what had made you to think so.

PS My problem isn't the mess with tileset, it's lag. I probably had to make new topic then.
Vlad
What are you talking about? Do you say that NeJ2 alone slows your computer twice? It's nonsense! The BG2 game was made about ten years ago and worked perfectly with much lower framerate. You should really take care of your PC. I wonder have you ever played some 3D games? I believe that the Mega install can slow down computer when you have many many mods installed. But I really don't believe that NeJ2 alone can do this. Eventually, there are only about 5000-6000 files in your override, so relax, this does not affect your frame rate. And if you ask me, what is it affecting your frame rate, I can tell you - your graphic settings and your hardware.
Ardanis
You have no problems with 1,5 GB of NEJ+TS inside override? I'm unlucky then. A pity sad.gif

I wonder have you ever played some 3D games?
The most modern 3D game I've played on my computer was Dungeon Lords with the lowerest settings. It was lagging sometimes.

Talking about framerate I meant seeing frames in order like 1-1-3-3-5-5-7-7-9-9 (without 2,4,6,8) instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9.
Anvil+TS+NEJ (and nothing more, if you can believe it smile.gif ) did make lag for me.

I suppose I have to go with making several small biffs, as Erebusant has pointed. It indeed don't mess tiles.
Senka
There are two locations where lags occure: the cave where Dar are joined and the cave with Giants. But as I remember IWD, this is IWD problem. And this is normal for BG too: when you have a lot of monsters you have a lag
Vlad
Ardanis just tried to blame my mod in all his computer and game related problems. No chance! wink.gif

P.S. With his biffing and other experiments he tends to perform, I envise more problems when the game looking for resorces in the override won't be able to find them. In this case, Ardanis, please don't post the problems. Moreover, as you decided to biff your files, from now and on I'll ignore your techical reports. You are good in modding, so you are on your own here. Good luck!
Ardanis
tried to blame my mod in all his computer and game related problems
I never said your mods cause problems. Neither now nor in the past. If I would think so then I wouldn't even be playing them. If you've found smth of my saying to be offensive toward your mods then I'm really sorry, that's the last thing I can say about them. I simply said that heavy override was causing lags for me. I have no intention to experiment and my goal isn't to terrorize you with 'experimenting'.
Besides I fail to understand why you don't need to know about any problem caused by experimenting. While many mods are incompatible with each other they still provide info about known problems. I know by my own experience that it's always better to have all ties in your hands, but why to ignore things that other poeple may found and inform about? I don't know why you're so userunfriendly.

more problems when the game looking for resorces in the override won't be able to find them.
This really makes no sense. I always can put files back into override.

Speaking about biffing btw. I suppose it's rather related to technical side of IE than to any particular mod but since there was a talk about it here... Lag disappeared in very strange manner - I biffed tis and wav and then put those 1,7 GB back into override. And surprisingly enough there was no lag. Another thing I fail to understand. So, I fear you can't ignore my bug reports now smile.gif
It doesn't mean I'm going to post new topic each day.

PS I like TS very much (like Ascension, which I consider to be fix rather than mod) and hope NEJ won't disappoint me as well. Frustration of finding bugs in a good product is always much stronger than in case with smth of low/average quality. Yet you take it as if I despise your creations and actually is being forced to play them.
Golden Thief
Ardanis just some added info about NEJ and TS mods that took me a little while to figure out.
One must understand that NEJ and TS were never made to be compatiable with any other mod and were meant to be played eactly that way without any mods added. If one adds a mod to NEJ or TS then they do so at their own risk and usually will get no help clearing up a conflict when it happens.

I have played both mods off and on for a very long time and get no lags if played as they were intended as stand-alone mods. I have found Vlad is more then happy to help me when I install them that way. Unless Vlad's stand has changed, I have found he is not interested at this time in trying to get NEJ or TS to play nice with other mods, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get to the completion of NEJ at this point in time. I vouch that they play very well as a stand-alone.

When one wants to add other mods then it is best to post problems encountered with that type of install over at Spellhold where they attempt to run different types of combinations and resolve those conflicts.

It is not a matter of getting upset with anyone but understanding where one can get help with a particular type of install. I, myself do install other mods with NEJ at times but since I know how NEJ plays I know that it is not NEJ's fault so I seek help over at Spellhold when I do that type of install.

I hope I didn't muddy the water, only wanted to help you understand a few points.

GT
Ardanis
Well, since Anvil+TS+NEJ are mentioned as compatible and supportable installiation I thought that perhaps lag (not stutter that's usually caused by incorrect scripts, but one that is seen on weak machines when they're running heavy applications) was a known problem and folk here know how to fight it.

And I never said Vlad should provide compatibility with any other mod. I just can't understand why not to make a list of known incompatibilities - when I asked in november about UB I've got detailed answer - which exact components ot it can't go along with TS+NEJ. Yet there is no such info available for first time player, I only got it by asking.

I don't want to quarrel becuase of mods, there are better things to do. My problem with lagging game has vanished (as I've said I don't know how) and it's running smoothly even with the whole bunch of files within override.

I intend to make a list of encountered bugs related to NEJ's code (I can find out if bug is caused by installing another mod alongside) after finishing NEJ. If it will be welcomed here I'll post it. I also wish Vlad to finish NEJ (btw, what is a rough data? 2008 or 2009?). Good luck to anyone as well!

PS Sorry for the whole mess and being offensive. I reinstalled the whole thing including BG itself from the scratch and everything is running now as it used to be. I didn't change anything from the previous order/settings I swear unsure.gif . Must be "one chance of 1000" case. My apologize again.
Vlad
Ardanis, I would really appreciate your bug reports related to recommended installation. Thank you!

At the moment I am not working on NeJ2 anymore. I am not sure I'll work on it soon, at least until we release Keldorn beta.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.