Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting started
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
Rubberduck
First of all a big "high folks" to everyone involved.
Daddy always told me to be nice with people biggrin.gif

Please forgive me if i could have found some answers myself just searching the whole board. But Vlad mentioned somewhere on this forum that time is precious. And mine is very precious.

After reading about this mod for quite a long time i finally decided to start my next game using NEJ. One of the main reasons is that all of those older and huge BP mods like SoS, TDD, SoBH and CtB are all quite buggy. Especially if you use them in combination with BP-BGT. They are fun but still far from perfect. I have to admit that i simply decided to leave them behind cause all those stories, missions, quests and npc made me dizzy. I couldn't enjoy the game cause there was too much to find out and too much that could have been missed.

So now i think i should stick to the main plot/saga and use only some kinda limited additional stuff on top. Like NEJ. It seems to be big but in comparison to my last mega install it is kinda small. Believe me.

Anyway here's what i wanna know.

1. I can play the game using this installation, right?
BG1+TotSc+original_patch+BG2+ToB+original_patch+BGT+BD1.6+NEJ+TS
!!!: I use the german versions of BG1+BG2 any problems?
2. What about the correct installation order?
3. May i add Horred's BP177 for the sake of its great benefits to the gameplay?
4. What about those BG1 mods that come before NEJ like DTotSc and NTotSC?
5. What about NPC mods like Amber or Fade?
6. What about "small" shop mods like FR-ROV?
7. What about those really small mods like "unfinished business"?
8. Do i need the newest Worldmap (v6.4)?

And, very important, does the mod alter any known path of the official campaign? I read that it is a conversion and i will read the walkthrough first, but i couldn't find any information about the content of the mod. Something basic like: NPCs to keep, essential quests, effects on official NPCs, when does the mod start and where does it end......

You see, really noobish questions but i really don't want to start just to find out that i couldn't keep my favourite NPC due to restrictions of the mod.

Anyway thanx in advance for your efforts and your time. A lot of people mentioned your mod to be very very cool. So now it is about time for me to find out.

@Vlad: I really don't want to bother you with compatibilty issues but i couldn't get any information regarding those rather small contributing mods. If possible i would like to use them with NEJ. If it is not possible; so be it. But please answer to any mod i listed so maybe i could at least keep one of them.

Vlad
Hi Rubberduck and welcome!

If my memory serves me well, you have been for quite a long time in the modding community. Moreover, if you have already read for quite a long time about NeJ2, then you would probably know that NeJ2 is not compatible with most of the mods around. If it is compatible with some certain mod you want to play then it is your luck.

1. With respect to installation, I would recommend to wait for the new version, which will be released sooner or later, because an amount of a new added content is huge. The only problem that it won't be compatible with BGT at this stage. So, if you ask for compatibility with BGT, you should go for the current version 6.8. If you decide to install v6.8 then the installation is simple:

SoA + ToB + ToB patch + Baldurdash-WeiDU v1.6 + BGT + (optionally BGT tweaks) + (optionally IA) + (optionally Ascension) + TS v6.10 (optionally TS v5.5 translated in German instead) + NeJ2 v6.8

You may also install BG songs and you'll have to download a compatible Setup-BGT.TP2 file - please read in details in the thread above.

No other mods before or after this installation should be installed. Also, you may install some NPCs and related mods after installation of NeJ2 and on your own risk. In no way I will support your installation then. Kindly bear this in mind.

3. I have no ideas what are those changes Horred introduced in BP 177, so you are on your own here.

4. I have never tried to install and play these modifications, thus see the answer in 3.

5. The same as 3 and 4. If these mods do not tocuh the content of NeJ2, they should work. However, we have Melora and Leina NPCs in NeJ2, so I doubt you won't wish to try them. Melora is a very special thief and Leina is a very special bard. At some point you'll have to decide whom you wish to keep in your party. As a side note, please keep in mind that the relationships with Leina will be broken if you send her away.

6. FR-POV is game breaking. By the way, there are plenty of shops and items in NeJ2. I doubt you need something else.

7. UB is absolutely incompatible with TS-NeJ2. I have introduced my own versions of some unfinished quests.

8. NeJ2 has its own worldmap. Installing another worldmap will surely result in a total mess of areas on the map.

And, very important, does the mod alter any known path of the official campaign?

Yes.

I read that it is a conversion and i will read the walkthrough first, but i couldn't find any information about the content of the mod. Something basic like: NPCs to keep, essential quests, effects on official NPCs, when does the mod start and where does it end......

Read the walkthrough.

P.S. If you install TS v5.5 then please install it right after Baldurdash-WeiDU.
Rubberduck
QUOTE(Vlad @ Feb 13 2007, 11:08 PM) *

Hi Rubberduck and welcome!

If my memory serves me well, you have been for quite a long time in the modding community. Moreover, if you have already read for quite a long time about NeJ2, then you would probably know that NeJ2 is not compatible with most of the mods around. If it is compatible with some certain mod you want to play then it is your luck.

You're right. I'm impressed happy.gif But i'm no modder. Far from that. Just a notorious user biggrin.gif Of course i know of the problems regarding compatibility. That's why i asked. I just wanted to reassure myself before getting started and totally fubar my install

1. With respect to installation, I would recommend to wait for the new version, which will be released sooner or later, because an amount of a new added content is huge. The only problem that it won't be compatible with BGT at this stage. So, if you ask for compatibility with BGT, you should go for the current version 6.8. If you decide to install v6.8 then the installation is simple:

SoA + ToB + ToB patch + Baldurdash-WeiDU v1.6 + BGT + (optionally BGT tweaks) + (optionally IA) + (optionally Ascension) + TS v6.10 (optionally TS v5.5 translated in German instead) + NeJ2 v6.8

Okay. BUT when will it be released and (much more important) when will it work with BGT? A question one should never ask a modder........

Just to be sure, BG1 still comes first if i choose to use NEJ2 v6.8 right? And i won't screw my install using TSv6.10 with a German BG version?

You may also install BG songs and you'll have to download a compatible Setup-BGT.TP2 file - please read in details in the thread above.

Will do.

No other mods before or after this installation should be installed. Also, you may install some NPCs and related mods after installation of NeJ2 and on your own risk. In no way I will support your installation then. Kindly bear this in mind.

As i said before, i'm aware of possible risks. I just want to keep them as low as possible. The NPC shouldn't effect the content of NEJ2.

3. I have no ideas what are those changes Horred introduced in BP 177, so you are on your own here.

Ups. I thought you were quite confident with the content of Horreds' work. They are mainly general tweaks to the ai, rules, experience and spells.

4. I have never tried to install and play these modifications, thus see the answer in 3.

Okay. Planned to dump them anyway. They were (sorry!) a big pain in the ass.

5. The same as 3 and 4. If these mods do not tocuh the content of NeJ2, they should work. However, we have Melora and Leina NPCs in NeJ2, so I doubt you won't wish to try them. Melora is a very special thief and Leina is a very special bard. At some point you'll have to decide whom you wish to keep in your party. As a side note, please keep in mind that the relationships with Leina will be broken if you send her away.

Hmmmmmm. As long as i can keep my Vicci wub.gif Of course i'll try them out but main problem still is the limited size for the party. Furthermore i really hate to find out that you should have kept somebody just to progress in some very substancial quests mad.gif

6. FR-POV is game breaking. By the way, there are plenty of shops and items in NeJ2. I doubt you need something else.

Nice hint. Also good to know.

7. UB is absolutely incompatible with TS-NeJ2. I have introduced my own versions of some unfinished quests.

Very good to know. Thank god i asked before installing it......

8. NeJ2 has its own worldmap. Installing another worldmap will surely result in a total mess of areas on the map.

That's strange. What about BGT then? I thought you need the new worldmap to make bg1 and bg2 work together. If it works without new wm then it'll be fine with me. I never really liked the new wm. It's simply far too big.

And, very important, does the mod alter any known path of the official campaign?

Yes.

As long as the ending of my realtionship with Vicci isn't touched......
Guess i'll rewrite the ending text anyway. Like always.

Thanx for your fast replay. Enjoy beer.gif
Sikret

Just exchange the location of IA and Ascension in the abovementioned installation order (= Install Ascension before IA). Also, if you want to use IA, I strongly recommend that you wait for the newer version (v4) which will be released (hopefully) soon. It's compatible with Ascension's core component but not with its other components.

Have fun!

Rubberduck

Just exchange the location of IA and Ascension in the abovementioned installation order (= Install Ascension before IA). Also, if you want to use IA, I strongly recommend that you wait for the newer version (v4) which will be released (hopefully) soon. It's compatible with Ascension's core component but not with its other components.

Sorry but what does IA mean?
pro5
Improved Anvil.
Rubberduck
I see thumb.gif

Any links where i can get additional infos? Something about content, guides, bugs and tutuorials/walkthroughs...... glare.gif
Baronius
Hello smile.gif

You can find everything on the Improved Anvil forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.