Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: travel to Ulcaster NEJ part 2
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
mildImp
Should I be able to travel to Ulcaster at any time and any place after I get out of Irenicus' dungeon?
Golden Thief
After you get out of CI Hrothgar will need to think for a day or so. Then you will have a choice of waiting till Hrothgar asks you again or when you choose to leave a city area you can select Ulcaster and go there.

If I remember correctly I think you have about 43 - 45 days before the third warning when you must go or the quest is broken. So you have time to pick-up Leina and do several side quest, so you might even have enough time to make it thru spellhold before time expires. I have never tried it. I guess I should some time just to see if it is possible.
mildImp
Well, I dont know about the thinking thing, but its been like 4-5 days and although we have had some banters about my knowledge of Hrothgar's history, he hasnt said word one about traveling to Ulcaster. I tried traveling there myself, from the city and then from regions outside the city and I find that the Ulcaster location is "Destination Unreachable". Also, do I have to side with Bohdi to get Leina?
Chev
QUOTE(mildImp @ Jan 22 2007, 08:10 PM) *

Also, do I have to side with Bohdi to get Leina?

Yes. The other way has been removed.
mildImp
I understand. So how about the Ulcaster travel issue? Should I be able to travel there or is there some trigger that I need to wait for?
Golden Thief
So you went thru part one of NEJ, since you have Hrothgar. Then when you exited CI: the cutscene where Imoen is taken happens, right? Then did Hrothgar start his banter about this is all wrong meaning time and place; then he says he needs time to think about it or you can say I need to think about it. That banter is the first thing that happens after Imoen is taken.

Once that banter has happened you should be able to go to Ulcaster on your own after you go to the slums and advance the chapter. I think one time I had to do if from the city gates. If you have a mega install I don't think anything stops you from traveling there.

But if Hrothgar did not give that banter then I would say it won't trigger. Otherwise he will in a few days remind you or do a force talk on him.

If your thinking of getting Leina remember this about Bohdi first off you can not be a thief and get to work for Bohdi.
Multi class thief and Bodhi will accept you. She will also accept you if you are duel class thief but only if your second class is not thief.
Eg. If you choose to duel class say from mage to thief then she will not accept you. However if you duel class say from thief to mage then she will accept you. Got it?
mildImp
Yes, Its been awhile since the cutscene and I have a bad habbit of skimming some of the NPC banter, but Im virtually certian I had that conversation with Hrothgar.
Golden Thief
Do you remember getting a talk that started like this from Hrogthgar "(*Suddenly stopping you in your tracks.*) <CHARNAME>, I have decided. As I am too late to speak with the sages at Ulcaster Academy, then I must visit Ulcaster ruins, near Beregost."

He goes on to say Imen will be found in time so don't feel like your abandoning her.
Golden Thief
After that exchange then Hrothgar will remind you in one day saying "You have slept on all that I have been able to tell you, <CHARNAME>, have you decided on what it is that you will do?"

If you choose to tell him you need time to think then the timer is set for about 15 days before he reminds you again. But during this time you should definitly be able to go to Ulcaster by selecting it.
mildImp
No. That conversation has not occurred. The last banter he had with me was something about how I was about to say something and then some back and forth about what happens to him in the past and having an open mind...yada yada yada
Golden Thief
Can you use shadowkeeper or NI to check the value of globals VP_Hrothgar_Tilorn, VP_HrothgarTalks and VP_HrothgarReminds.

Have you gone to just the city gates to leave and checked to see if Ulcaster is available as you exit out the gate? For some reason I keep thinking that was the only way to go for me once if Hrothgar didn't request it.
mildImp
I will check those values, but will have to post later as I am at work.

I have tried traveling from inside the city, but I dont know if I specifically tried to travel from the city gates. I have also traveled to a location outside of the city and then tried to go to Ulcaster. Neither worked.

Are you saying that I have to go to the city gates and travel from there for Ulcaster to be available?
Golden Thief
Yes about the city gates. I had this same problem once, because I wanted to go there immediately and it never was available and it seems like the key was it is connected to when you actually exit the city thru the city gate exit. Then it becomes available from anywhere without Hrothgar reminding you.

Since I always do other quest while getting Leina I go thru the gate and forget about, so it is like a problem you just forget about.

Ok try it the next chance you get and get back on it.
mildImp
Trying to travel to Ulcaster by leaving through the city gate didnt work. The area is still "Destination Unreachable".

The value of VP_Hrothgar_Tilorn is 8. The other two (VP_HrothgarTalks and VP_HrothgarReminds) do not exist as globals.
Vlad
midImp, the problem you report here is the clear indication of either or both:

1. conflict with other mod/s
2. cheating during the game (using CLUAConsole)

Please, choose what is true for you.

Good luck.
mildImp
OK...I choose number 1.

From our conversations, I assume I should be able to get to Ulcaster at this point in the game. Also, from Vlad's terse, but declarative statement, I also assume my globals are screwed up. If someone can confirm, then I will be on my merry way.

Thanks for the info.
Golden Thief
Since the globals VP_HrothgarTalks and VP_HrothgarReminds don't exist then you are messed up from somewhere.
With VP_Hrothgar_Tilorn at 8 then Hrothgar would have reminded you to go, so if you clicked thru to quickly you told him no. But if the other ones are not there even in an earlier save then you're messed up. If you added them and set the globals there would be no guarantee it would work because of some other global not being set either or set wrong.

A side note with other mods installed, if help was to come it would be better over at Spellhold forum to discuss it for they deal in mega installs.

Cheers
Vlad
GT, I am not sure they could help with the latest version of NeJ2, but who knows. With the new version, I am testing now (you won't believe but I am in the Wyrm's Tooth already cool.gif), the incompatibilities will grow even more. I'm testing a pure NeJ2 without BGT and TS - you can understand why, so until now everything works like a charm. It took about a month (playing several hours in a week) just to fight my way through the Upper Dorn's Deep - wow, I really like it, and I have never been here before. Graphics is simply amazing with all these animations, glowing fungi and streaming lava. I was ought to remove half of all the creatures inhabited the Upper Dorn's Deep, as at some points the fight simply becomes unbearable. I worked a lot on their scripts to make them as intelligent as possible. Now, they can scout an area looking for you biggrin.gif . Anyway, I hope to come back with the new version pretty soon.
Golden Thief
Hey Vlad sounds interesting. Sounds like I'll have to work on me tatics more. So hurry up and give me something to play so I can work on another walkthru. Or I'll send some gremlins your way to fight. biggrin.gif

cheers
mildImp
To conclude this issue, I was able to update the vp_hrothgar_tilorn global to 0 and get everything going properly. Im enjoying the rest of this mod. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.