Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some general knowledge about NEJ
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
Ardanis
I'm about to play a NEJ at last. I don't want to start game and find then a crowd of bugs and other vermins and I'm lazy to check 280 megabytes of NEJ by myself.
Can someone with knowledge enlighten me:
1) is there known incompatibilies with UB, D0questpack, D0Tweaks, Refinements (not with new NEJ kits and armors/weapons, maybe rules too, but something else), especially with two first ones;
2) is it necessary to install BGT (since I don't need it in the least);
3) does NEJ make undocumented (neither readme nor ingame descriptions) changes (I can understand bugfixes but not something else (I do know mods which do it)) of items/spells/kits;
4) how much XP will I get from NEJ in average - in other words, which value should I choose for DEFJAM xpmod in order to avoid overstepping of official ~18 millions XP for sixmembered party at the end of SoA?
Vlad
1-3 Yes.
4. 1,000,000

Conclusion: With such pretenses you should avoid playing NeJ2.
Ardanis
Conclusion: With such pretenses you should avoid playing NeJ2.

Actually, I've expected such reply.

1) Can you tell (if you know) what exactly components of UB, D0Quest are wrong? It would be hard to play without them.
3) Are they made by overwriting or by patching (setup tp2 is a bit large to look it through)? Why I wonder about it - I really doubt that Magic Missle is replaced with Abi-Dalzim, but some changes can frustrate unawared player (like myself). I hope you understand my concern.
5) Perhaps some BG1 mods are compatible with NEJ?
6) Just to be sure - are you going to make NEJ to be compatible with other mods as fully as possible?

And less technical question - does NEJ add something to BG1 part (mostly quests and NPCs)?
berelinde
NEJ is a conversion, which should answer the question about overwriting.

This has been a matter which has provoked some strong and sometimes unpleasant discussions over the months that I have been watching this forum. I am writing as an unbiased party. I do not use NEJ in my current installation, because I tend to enjoy playing with every mod under the sun, although I would not say that I never would give it a try.

Vlad seems to subscribe to the belief that the author retains the right to control the content of his mod, which, in the case of NEJ, is the whole game. I am most definitely *not* making any kind of editorial comment here, nor should this statement be viewed as anything other than a simple observation made after reading his posts on this and other boards. His reply to your original post was a bit terse, but not representative of his usual writing style.

It is my belief that Vlad would like to give you a particular Baldur's Gate experience, and does not endorse the alteration to that story that other quest mods introduce.

With that in mind, it is unlikely that compatibility is a high priority.
pro5
Can I hijack this thread for my own q's? smile.gif

I have Icewind Dale + two expansions as separate games. Exactly how much of their content is included in NEJ? And what else was changed (if any), besides dialogs to support the connection with BG?
Vlad
Exactly how much of their content is included in NEJ?

Part 1 is about 70% without expansions if you mean an amount of resources used. Otherwise, I really cannot compare IWD with NeJ2. IWD is very boring for me. Frankly speaking, I have started playing IWD several times and removed it from my HD even before reaching Kuldahar.

Part 2 has nothing to do with IWD and BG.

Part 3 will be a mix of all.

And what else was changed (if any), besides dialogs to support the connection with BG

Once again, if you mean resources in Part 1, then - not too much. However, we have new NPCs, and many dialogues between NPCs. I do not recall there are dialogues between NPCs in IWD. smile.gif Also, scripts and items have been modified, as well as an idea behind IWD. And of course, you have the continuity of some NPCs starting from BG1 and following you until the end of the saga. Like seanas said once - "do not talk... play". smile.gif
Ardanis
Aye, what about compatibility? Can I install something at all without possible bugs or not? As I've said before I don't want to have bugs (I've got really tired of finding and fixing them), otherwise I'd not bother people with such questions. Consider me as complete newb for now:).
"do not talk... play"
This is exactly what I want to do:).

Part 1 is about 70% without expansions if you mean an amount of resources used. Otherwise, I really cannot compare IWD with NeJ2. IWD is very boring for me. Frankly speaking, I have started playing IWD several times and removed it from my HD even before reaching Kuldahar.
I haven't played IWD yet. Perhaps I should do it before playing NEJ?
Vlad
Aye, what about compatibility? Can I install something at all without possible bugs or not?

Ardanis, you have all your questions answered. I support only TS and NeJ2. I am not intrested in compatibility and I have never tested various mods' combinations. I have no idea what is D0questpack, D0Tweaks and Refinements, and I envise problems with UB as it touches Minsc, Boo and Valygar, and probably other resources, which I also modified.

If you are looking for compatibility, the best place to address your questions is Spellhold Studios.

Good luck!

P.S. If you do decide to install only TS and NeJ2, I would advise to wait for the release of the new version of NeJ2.
Chev
Ardanis,

Vlad is working hard on making his mod. NeJ is a great mod with a tight storyline. He believes that other mods disrupt the story (some really do and others not as much). Also the technical requirements would be very time consuming. If you want to talk to others about making his mod work with other Mods check out BP-BGT forum at ShS. Some should and others really wont.

pro5 if you want to play IWD do so, but NeJ is Sooo much more than just IWD as part of BG. In the fullness of time I hope most of IWD content will be incorporated into NeJ.

Ardanis
I am not intrested in compatibility and I have never tested various mods' combinations
I didn't know. Also, sorry for being a pain in ass, I was a bit drunk not long time ago. No more questions then from me.
ClefairyTorii
Part 2 has nothing to do with IWD and BG.

But it has a little to do w/ PS:T! (i think it uses the area u get Fall-From-Grace, and the Sensate room if im remembering everything correctly...huhu)

However, as for IWD, i wouldn't bother playing it. No offense to any IWD fans, but i thought it was complete crap. Reminded me of Diablo. All fighting, and no story. (On a side note, i loved Diablo 2, but only for its multiplayer/online experience) NeJ adds quite a bit of story and text. One of the best parts of NeJ imho, was Jaheira, Minsc, and Imoen banters. It really felt as if your party ported to IWD. I really enjoyed it.

As stated by Vlad earlier, he doesn't support anything other than TS/NeJ, and i personally think thats a good thing. This way he doesn't have to deal w/ conflictions or bugs created by mods he didn't work on, and can focus completely on making NeJ/TS as good as possible.

I've said it before, and ill say it again. I've played every single known mod to date. (or at least i think i have) So far, NeJ/TS has been the most enjoyable by far, AND its still in the works. I highly recommend playing it, even if it means u can't use your favorite fix,tweak,quest,etc.-packs. I used to install a ton of mods everytime i played BG2. (before NeJ, i always did BP installs...) I now play NeJ/TS exclusively. I just seems to me to be a more polished game. Sure there are the bugs, every mod has them, but so far any bug i've had has been remedied from help from this forum (highfive to Vlad, GT, and the rest of the people on this forum)

Vlad
Wow, this is I call the FEEDBACK! Thanks a lot ClefairyTorii! beer.gif

I am pretty sure that Domi, Larrienne, Horred, Meira, Hlid, Bob, Mark, Lissa, John, Richard, David and all those who have contributed to making these wonderfull mods would be happy to read such a feedback.
Ardanis
P.S. If you do decide to install only TS and NeJ2, I would advise to wait for the release of the new version of NeJ2.
Will it take long? Will it be done until New Year celebraties at least?

EDIT
Heh. It looks like I should ask all of my questions in one post, since further ones are being nicely ignored. I hope this is not a sing of things to come (© Jaheira).
Let's see, maybe someone will have a look at this thread after several years. I think he'll have a good laugh then biggrin.gif .

And don't tell me that I could see an answer somewhere. If I did then I certainly wouldn't ask.
Ardanis
spwi506, spwi316, spwi104, spin402 - they have "change alignment to TN" effect. I'm just curious - for what reason???
Vlad
for what reason???

For technical reason.

Do you seriously think that I'll start explaining the technical side of the mod?
Ardanis
Well, unless you hate me for some reason - why not? I'm intelligent enough to understand. And I would explain, be I asked one. It's just a bit strange for me that you create mods, give them to people to play, but completely refuse to answer anything about said mods if fair folk ask you. OK, I'm not insisting, that's your mod not mine. As I said, I was nothing but curious (really) - that change did nothing notable when I tried to find difference and I wondered about it. Well, I'll be thinking that you are busy (with real life and with creating next version), then my opinion about you won't fall down.

Will wait for next version then, which I'll be playing instead of studying smile.gif. Good luck with it.
Vlad
...but completely refuse to answer anything about said mods if fair folk ask you.

It's simply not true. I always answer questions regarding my mods. However, I value my time, which I do not have much. Answering such questions you asked here, it's just a waste of time. Would be it a feedback or bug report or technical issue, I'm more than willing to discuss. But please refrain from hacker's questions. If you are interested in disassembling my mod, you are really on your own.

In order to satisfy your curiosity, I'll answer your question. It's my old method of labeling effects on the affected creature. You may call this pro-version of detectable spells.

Thanks for your interest in our mods, anyway.

Good luck to you too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.