Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trojan Warning
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
UnholyAngel
When I try to download NeJ6.7, I get a Trojan-Warning from my scanner.
Can someone test wether there is an actual virus?
Golden Thief
I have downloaded and installed it on two separate computers with two different up to date virus scanners and I have not gotten this warning on either one. Anyone else?
ronin69hof
mcafee and NOD dont detect anything.

ronin
UnholyAngel
Seems to be a false positive. I am downloading it at the moment.
I will report it to avast.

Thanks for the answers
WizWom
Er, not meaning to spread panic, doubt and fear, but it's possibly to make a stealthed virus that would add a payload as a "pre-package" to any transfers.
Baronius
It's possible to make many types of viruses, but I find it more likely that certain virus scanners sometimes give a false alert with installers such as Nullsoft. I haven't tested the package of NEJ 6.7 though.
masteraleph
No virus here on Symantec Corporate, either. I'm thinking that it's a false positive from Avast.
NightLife
When I download the file it is reported by my anti-virus as having a trojan in the install package. I don't know if it just a false positive but it might be worth checking into.
Vlad
I have combined your post with the previous topic in order to make it more comprehensive. I have only CA security package and cannot check any other anti-virus and anti-spyware application. If you feel the downloaded file can damage your computer, please do not install it.
NightLife
Not blaming you at all. It seems to be a false positive with Avast. It was however not beyond them realm of possibility for someone to have hacked the download site. smile.gif
Baronius
The download site has never been hacked, the security is high enough according to our current viewpoint. (On the other hand, it's always possible with any site that it has been hacked, but in our case, this has very little probability.)

The "malicious code" that infected BWL forum in March exploited a bug in the forum software, so it had nothing to do with the server's security level.

All in all, you don't have to worry when downloading known bwl material from the BWL server (Of course we can't follow what files are added to bwl mirrors that are updated by a third party -- such as G3's bwl mirror. If a file is already infected when it's uploaded, we can't do anything, of course). wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.