Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change animation ID
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Bestial Animations
Robin Lou
I am a noob modder but I would really like to get the icewind dale animations into my BgTutu-game. I use Near Infinity to edit the files. When I edit the hex value of Gorion's animation ID and change it into that of a frost giant the game crashes. What am I doing wrong? I don't use any other mods.
Galactygon
Have you equipped Gorion with an appropriate weapon (see the Documentation) that would change him into a frost giant?

-Galactygon
Robin Lou
hi, no I did not. I didn't understand that I had to. Does this mean I have to put a regular dagger in the weaponslot to use the cyclops animation?

Creatures without Individual Slots Assigned

Slot Name Numerical Value Hexadecimal Value Prefix
Ettin Slot 57360 0xe010 METN
- Axe ~ Frost Giant
- Club ~ Ettin
- Dagger ~ Cyclops
- Fail ~ Xvim/Bane Archpriest
- Halberd ~ Elemental, Magma
- Mace ~ Fomorian Giant [Hurls Rocks]
- Quarterstaff ~ Verbeeg
- Warhammer ~ Icewind Golem
Galactygon

Does this mean I have to put a regular dagger in the weaponslot to use the cyclops animation?

Yes you do. smile.gif

-Galactygon
Robin Lou
Still haven't firgured it out. I change the animation ID for gorion to hex number 38 e1, which is that of a frost giant. Than I replace the item held to a battle axe. But the game still crashes. I have tried several different animations. I tried 08 e1 which is the cyclops and let him hold a dagger. I know there must be something very simple or stupid mistake that I'm doing.

Currently the files are in my override folder, is that correct?
Galactygon
You will have to change the animation to that of an "ettin", and then give your cre an axe. Make sure the axe isn't marked as droppable in the .cre file, and make sure the .cre has the axe equipped. This could be checked by temporarily replacing the animation number to a fighter human male or anything similar.

-Galactygon
Robin Lou
Hi, I finally got it working. Thanks alot, it looks very promising. I have another question though. Why is it so important that the creatures wear certain weapons? That makes it impossible for me to equip, lets say Isair with another magical item for instance
Galactygon

I have another question though. Why is it so important that the creatures wear certain weapons?

I think this is covered in either the README or the Documentation, but another explanation wouldn't hurt. smile.gif

Because the engine is hardcoded to have limited amount of animation slots, and the amount of animations I want to implement is many times more than the amount of slots available, I was forced to cram multiple animations into one slot. The only way to do this is by having weapon animations act like seperate creature animations.

This is an amateur solution (it has its many flaws), and the presence of a released full GemRB would alleviate many of the problems present in this mod. But for now, this would work fine enough.

That makes it impossible for me to equip, lets say Isair with another magical item for instance

If you make a duplicate of that magical item that simply looks different when played alongside with the avatar, and a special spell used only by that creature to create that specific item instead of the generic one, it is quite feasable.

-Galactygon
Avenger_teambg
What about pre-creating undroppable items that should be equipped in the weapon slot and would make all the necessary changes (animation change, for example).
Galactygon
That would work, too.

-Galactygon
Robin Lou
Yet another thing. When I gate a pit fiend the game crashes. The Behlifet animation doesnt seem to work properly. It says a bam file is corrupted.

In fact it seems like all the new animations can't handle melee animation, or more likely I'm ding something wrong. When I use the black lich animation for example and equip the creature with a quarterstaff (staf01) the game crashes as soon as it starts to melee me. Spells works fine.
Galactygon

Yet another thing. When I gate a pit fiend the game crashes. The Behlifet animation doesnt seem to work properly. It says a bam file is corrupted.

I will look into that.

In fact it seems like all the new animations can't handle melee animation, or more likely I'm ding something wrong. When I use the black lich animation for example and equip the creature with a quarterstaff (staf01) the game crashes as soon as it starts to melee me. Spells works fine.

I don't recall finding any similar errors. There might be a problem regarding one- or two- handed weapons. I will also look into that.

If you find more errors, please report them.

-Galactygon
Robin Lou
Have you noticed any crashes?

Another question not really related to your mod, but the game crashes when Elminster goes into melee. The problem has been that before since hes not supposed to stay and fight. However, do know a solution to this?
Galactygon

Have you noticed any crashes?

When I did, I corrected them on the spot. However, your crashes are ones I haven't encountered yet or ones I fixed (or, at least, should have fixed). Still, they deserve to be looked into.

However, do know a solution to this?

At the moment, no.

-Galactygon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.