Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why to support Baldurdash-WeiDU?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Vlad's Compilation > Baldurdash-WeiDU
Vlad
Nick, these are the answers to your questions:

1.Baldurdash-WeiDU v1.6 is not exactly Baldurdash-WeiDU v1.5. KD asked me not to introduce changes in his code, and I respected his will in this case. However, some amendments were very essential for playing TS/NeJ2 (see below).
2. I have always used the original BD v1.12 because changes to its files were incorporated in both TS and NeJ. They were mostly inherited from Extremist's fixes. For example, Jaheira's script, which is fixed by Baldurdash and by Extremist differently. I use a GLOBAL from this fix in NeJ2, because actually this fix was made by me with some amendments by Extremist. Also I used his fixes with my own amendments when was coding NeJ2. I can give you another example if you wish - Imoen.
3. I have never reported all these fixes, which were incorporated in TS and NeJ2 installations by default. Some of them worked okay, some of them required more work. Recently, after seeing that KD made a good work on BD-WeiDU v1.5, I have extracted many previous fixes from TS and NeJ2 and added them to this version of Baldurdash. I worked really hard for several months just because of these compatibility issues knowing that players of big mods require this version of Baldurdash. Also I fixed several very serious problems such as Dakkon's Zerth Blade, which nobody noticed before. Actually, a creator of this blade in BG2 made a very bad mistake in attaching the script of this blade to player's OVERRIDE. BioWare fixed this blade by removing all the reincarnations of the blade. Later attempt was made by someone to recreate this blade but he forgot to remove this CHANGE AI Script to OVERRIDE. Neither Baldurdash, no Extremist fixed this problem. So, normally each NPC who equips this blade just looses his OVERRIDE script. This problem was addressed in the new version 1.6.
4. I'm not plannig to test the G3 Fixpack with TS and NeJ2 in the nearest future. I spent a lot of time on releasing the current version of BD. I'm pretty sure that fixes, which I made, particularly in scripts, are not in the G3 fixpack. Unfortunately, I have no time right now to list all these numerous fixes (frankly speaking, I don't remember all the fixes I have made for years to Baldurdash files, but it's possible to find them passing file by file sad.gif ). So it's really up to you, or more precisely (as I know you don't actively participate in modding now) up to CamDawg, to eveluate the compatibility issues of the fixpack with TS and NeJ2 if you all wish to do this. CamDawg is a good guy, I'm pretty sure he can do this in his due time. I posted per his request at SHS forums some related points of compatibility with TS and NeJ2, though he has not answered yet.
5. TS v6.06 REQUIRES BD-WeiDU v1.6 (see above)! So, until all these issues are resolved, I'll continue to support Baldurdash-WeiDU.

Have a nice day,
Vlad.
ScuD
Vlad, can you make the simple archive package just like it was in KD's version?
It is really not convenient to use the full installation instead of simple unpacking/executing.
Vlad
It is really not convenient to use the full installation instead of simple unpacking/executing.

It really surprises me. Normally people ask for minimal participation in the installation so I worked for some time and made this *click-and-play* installation. Now you tell me it's not convenient. May I ask you WHY? blink.gif
ScuD
May be I get too used to the BG modding, but it's really simplier for me to execute .exe-file form the game folder smile.gif
Always hated those high-level things cool.gif
Vlad
Then just install it in any temp/dumb folder. The setup EXE won't find dialog.tlk and quit, and you'll have your *low-tech* installation. biggrin.gif
ScuD
Just like I'm doing with every autoinstall mod wink.gif

OK, a different point of view - why does anyone need autoinstallation/uninstallation of the mod for the game he simply restores from the backup, not installing it from original CDs? It will add some unnecessary entries to the registry as well as to the start menu, but in no way help anyone smile.gif
Vlad
I like it. But of course, you may delete it freely. The installation will look only for the folder where you have installed it. In your case, it will remove just your temp/doomy folder with no traces left in the registry. Also if you do not wish to delete that temp folder for some reason, you may clean your registry manually. There are so many options for you to proceed so you can choose what you like.
Creepin
Vlad, can you make the simple archive package just like it was in KD's version?
I second that. I really hate all this self-extracting, self-executing thingies - why some dammn shell decides for me what to do with packaged info? angry.gif
Also, it's quite unhandy to bother with dumb-installing something just to have a peek at readme file closedeyes.gif

P.S. So, was BD-WeiDU intended to be installed before or after NeJ BTW?
Vlad
P.S. So, was BD-WeiDU intended to be installed before or after NeJ BTW?

As it is clearly stated in almost every post with respect to NeJ and TS installation, the Baldurdash-WeiDU 1.6 should be installed right after installation of the ToB patch.
Creepin
As it is clearly stated in almost every post with respect to NeJ and TS installation, the Baldurdash-WeiDU 1.6 should be installed right after installation of the ToB patch.
Thanks. It's BP_Mega_Install_Instructions that got me confused - these two steps are swapped there smile.gif
Vlad
No problem. Enjoy it. cool.gif
Ardanis
May I ask what _exactly_ components of BD are requried? That's because I use my own private version of Baldurdash with my corrections and rectifications (since I believe that BD actually adds some bugs, which were not seen without it) instead of "official" one.

EDIT
I suppose I'm not about to get an answer. Fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.