Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding area to worldmap using weidu..
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
Valiant
Hi guys, I have a problem. blink.gif I want to add my own area to worldmap and make it visible. There will be no links pointed to this area (...mean N,W,E,S links...), because party will travel to and from this area via scripts (..NPC sailor or something like that...), but that I can handle myself...

I just ask all of you, weidu profesionals biggrin.gif for writing a .tp2 for me. Post it here, plz... Just adding area and set it visible from beginning. That´s all I want... Thank you guys...
jastey
Maybe you'll find something here.

To reveal the map in-game you need "RevealAreaOnMap("areaname")".
Valiant
Thank, Jastey, but this topic I read before. It´s useless for me, as I´m not so skilled in weidu, because I don´t know which part of the code is just for adding area... Maybe if you bring some light on it, it would be helpful... rolleyes.gif
jastey
I would, if I could.. Unfortunately never done something like this myself yet. I am still hoping for a good tutorial in this regard.
Valiant
My point, exactly...THX anyway... Maybe someone will explain it to all poor simple weidu users sometime...
Rabain
Valiant I think you might be adding a whole lot of work for yourself for little benefit.

Your area is only accessible via script by talking to a sailor or somesuch yes? Then why does it need to be on the worldmap? The only reason would be that it would look cool! The other thing you will need to remember too is that the icons used to represent area's on the worldmap all exist within one bam file in the game, this means that even if you do succeed in adding an area to the worldmap it will have to use an existing icon and that won't look so cool.

All SoA area's appear on the worldmap even though some are not accessible for travel (eg Brynlaw, UD etc) though in BG1 there is precedent for something similar to what you are doing with both the Ice Island and Balduran's Island from TotSC.

My suggestion would be to just use the Sailor and the script. The only real need for an icon on the worldmap is if you want the party to be able to travel to and from this area via the worldmap at any time the player chooses.
kulyok
Damn right.

Also, if you alter the worldmap,
1) the player *has* to start a new game to play your mod,
2) compatibility issues with other mods may arise.
Valiant
Yes, you´re right. I want to make it look cool, because when I´m doing something, I don´t want to do a halfwork... Truth is, the only reason I wanted to do this was to show position of the party on worldmap while is in my area... because if I won´t add it on WMP, nobody won´t have any idea where my area was ment to be located. Yes, I know that player *has* to start a new game in order to see it on the map, but it´s not so bad... If this is the only restriction, so be it...

And I also planned to make my own icon for it, furthermore, it´s already done. Just to add it into MAPICONS.BAM in its own special order...

No offense, but instead of moralizing you may post the .tp2 code, if you know how to do it... THX
Valiant
Oh guys, yet another idea. I was thinking about modyfing only the worldmap MOS file. But it is possible to make somehow to see the party location with default "worldmap-sword-shield-cursor" smile.gif in fictive position? Without adding something? I mean, f. e. the fictive position of my area on worldmap would be, lets say 553x66, and when I enter the area and take a look on worldmap, position cursor would be on 553x66...Now I don´t know if you caught my meaning... It´s not possibe I guess, But if it works with random encouters, I was hoping it can be done. If not, forget it....
CamDawg
I add an area to the worldmap via WeiDU for the G3 Anniversary Mod; the code for which is on the G3 Dev Wiki. It sounds more complicated than what you're asking for, as I do add links to and from the area.
Avenger_teambg
You must add the area to the worldmap, but you may have a fully transparent worldmap icon and no text.
Valiant
BTW, is adding procedure similiar to all IE games? I mean IWD: HoW... It´s much easier to make worldmap icon for IWD and IWD: HoW than BG2...
Avenger_teambg
The worldmap is of the same format in all games.
iwd2 differs a bit, because it uses multiple maps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.