Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash in Nakanishi's dungeon in TS v6.02
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Vlad's Compilation > Tortured Souls
Lord Ernie
Everything worked fines this far, but I seem to have stumbled into a problem. If I use the north or south exits in the dungeon (not the Chromatic Dragon one), the game gives a memory read error and crashes to desktop. I haven't had any install problems, nor do I have any other mods installed which could cause any problems.

Note that I had sort of the same problem when entering the Temple Ruins area (you know, the one where the Shadow Temple is), but in that case the game loaded the area first before crashing. Uninstalling the mod removed the problem in that case (but won't do me much good when I'm in a new area).

Now I'd be willing to track this one down, were it not that I don't know a thing about area bugs, and that the scripts are quite expansive. So, any ideas?
Vlad
Thanks for reporting this problem. What's the version you are playing? I guess you have animation conflicts. The temple ruines area crash is a known problem and is a very good indication that something conflicts with TS.

[EDIT] In brief there is SHADEL.CRE (Shadow Lord) which occupies IC_LICH_BLACK animation slot in the original game. As I used this slot in TS and NeJ, I've replaced his animation for the normal IC_LICH. There should be a file SHADEL.CRE in your override folder which comes from TS installation. If you have the animation conflicts with other mods or you didn't install animations properly then most of the new areas in TS will crash to desktop.
ScuD
Hello Vlad,
I think he's talking about TT0305, I'm having CTD there as well (the only area with errors in my TS 6.02 installation).
Vlad
Hi ScuD, I think it is either the area with lizard men or the area with the demon (Kiotsi) which use animations imported from IWD.
Lord Ernie
I've already met lizardmen, so I guess it's the demon that is making me crash. Is there a way to fix this? I currently have no mods installed that mess around with animations, apart from TS. Uninstalling the animations didn't quite fix it, either. There is still no mention of any problem while installing them, though.

If it helps, I'll post my Weidu logfile, but as i said: there is nothing in there that should cause problems. Oh, as it says in the topic title, I'm plaing 6.02. Also, there is a Shadel.cre file in my override directory, as you said. Any ideas? As it is, I don't know a thing about animation editing.

BTW, I've checked the shadel.cre file, and his animation has been changed to the standard lich animation.
Vlad
TS v6.02 needs testing actually. If you don't install other big mods, why wouldn't install TS v5.5 or even TS v5.01 with patches 5.03-5.05?
Lord Ernie
I would do that, if I weren't uninstalling and reinstalling other mods all the time. I'm coding for the new Tashia at the moment, and I'm constantly testing the stuff I put in. Ah well, going to have to wait with this till I"m finished coding then. Good luck with TS, in any case.
ScuD
In my installation I've found that it was IC_HISTACHII animation causing CTD.
Segar
I had the same problem like Lord Ernie in TS 6.03.

I have a crash at AR1404, so i cannot defeat the shade lord. It's the temple ruins map in BG2, before defeating him. I did the jump-to-area-cheat and the other temple ruins maps worked fine (like in the temple, werwolf cave, shade dragon and the map above ruins after defeating him). That could be also something else causing it. I don't know.

Then i started the TS quest and got the same problem at TT0305. That is the map, where you get also the exit from the island. From the potions/elements map I did try the north as well as the south exit. After reading in this forum about walkthrough etc., i did try directly jumping to that map. Same effect as with AR1404: I get a slight vision of that map and then - crash. I also got no error messages from my W2000-system, which i could post here.

Can you help me with that? Or maybe me you? smile.gif
Segar
BTW: I had also installed the patches from the "TS-NeJ2 animation compatibility patch"-thread. They did not help either.

I really would like to continue that play. Maybe someone can help me with that?
Vlad
You need two patches (ONLY if you didn't install NeJ2):
1. Compatibility patch which you've already got.
2. GZOMBIE.CRE:

http://vlad.blackwyrmlair.net/files/GZombie.cre

This goes directly into your override. You also need the saved game prior to visiting this area (TT0305).

Please refer to this post:

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=1294

Eventually, TS 6.03 is mainly for those who install NeJ2. It's a compatibility version and have never been tested as a stand-alone. If you wish to play TS only, you'd better install TS v5.01 (+pathces 5.03-5.05) or at least alternatively TS v5.5.
Segar
I had already installed those two from the post you mentioned. So also the GZOMBIE.CRE into the Override-directory.

My installation is 6.03 alone indeed. You do not need testing with it?
Vlad
Thanks Segar for the testing. People reported that after applying these two patches, the area loads without problems. The only requirement is that your saved game doesn't contain the visited TT0305 area. If you visit this area and then make a save, these patches won't help you. Hence I asked you to load your saved game prior to visiting this area for the first time.
Segar
I have got the problem that the game crashes, when i am trying to visit that area TT0305. So in any saved game i have got, i never visited that area before.

I installed the patch (the two) one more time, loaded a saved game prior the TS-quest and made the jump to TT0305 via the cheat console: crash. Just a short look on the new map and then goodbye without any error message.
King Diamond
I have no crashes with TT0305 (TS 6.03 and both patches).
Segar
Hm - so a motivation for a full re-installation.

I did deinstall everything and checked after every major install.

1.) BG2 + TOB + TOB-Patch 26498
Then starting a new game and trying to jump to AR1404, no problem.

2.) From Baldurdash.org Fixpack1.12 and TextUpdate 1.12
Then starting a new game and trying to jump to AR1404, no problem.

3.) Installing TS 6.03
Then starting a new game and trying to jumg to AR1404, then TT0305. Both times a crash.

4.) Installing the two patches mentioned here into the override.
Trying the saved game from step 3.) and trying again to access both areas. A crash for AR1404, working for TT0305.

Obviously I made a mistake while installing the patches both times. Maybe number 1 not directly into the Override? Sorry for that.

But also obviously TS6.03 has some sideeffects on AR1404, which is not working in my case. Have you got a fix for that?

How about you, King Diamond, is that area working in your game? It's the temple ruins area above, before defeating the Shadowlord.
King Diamond
The problem with AR1404 is an animation for SHADEL.CRE (and SHADELD.CRE as well). It is set to IC_LICH (0xE060) but must be LICH (0x7F0D) according to Vlad's system.
Segar
How do i do that?
Vlad
Well, rechecked once again:

Both SHADEL.CRE & SHADELD.CRE:

LICH - 32525

You may check it with NI (NearInfinity) - combo editor/viewer for all IE file types. It is my Swiss knife tool for all IE modding.
Segar
Did not work. Got NearInfinity, latest Java is installed anyway. Opened CHITIN.KEY in my BG2-directory and also found the two .cre-files (in the TS and also in the Override folder). Just I were not able, to open them, to edit them, to see their content.

I tried the tutorial on tne NI-homepage with the Carsomyr-sword. But had the same problem there: I was able to locate the approbiate file, but not to open it.

On the NI-Homepage I found no help whatsoever. It seems to be a bit outdated.

Trying an older version of NI did not help either. Nor various options from options or tools - toolbar. Am I doing s.th. wrong or overlooking s.th.?

What is the aim anyway? Changing IC_LICH (0xE060) to LICH (0x7F0D) or to LICH - 32525?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.