Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kreig to the Spine of the World
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey > Beta Testing
JohnTheMutt
Hi Vlad & Jan,

It's good to be back! And to be beta testing. smile.gif My schedule is sporadic due to limited access to my computer (we have guests and they're staying in the guest room where the computer is at...) But I will endeavor to play and report when free time permits.

I kept the old install from my previous games, however I put in fresh copies of override, dialog tlk, and weidu log. They bring the install nearly (music folder still altered for example) back to original condition: ToB + official update + original Baldurdash.

NeJ2 installed without problem and so did the patches. After installation I installed Weimer's Item Upgrade, Ease of Use (only certain components), and Improved Horns of Valhalla. These are pretty much the only extra mods I will install and use throughout the test.

I imported a Fighter Character "Kreig" that I changed to a Kensai. Later, perhaps, I will dual him to a mage since no mages will be available in NeJ1 as NPC's.

For my beta testing reports, I'll do a looser walkthrough than I did before, since it's already been said. But anything that 'sticks' out to me, good or bad, I'll be sure to mention it. Of course any bugs or inconsistencies I'll report as I find them...

Thank you, Vlad & Jan, again for all your hard work in producing a fine mod. smile.gif

Start:

So far everything seems to work okay in 'Chateau' Irenicus. I allowed for jaheira's new kit to be installed and see her nice new picture. smile.gif

Currently just arrived in Easthaven...
JohnTheMutt
Okay, finished Easthaven & Kuldahar valley. I liked the newer 'quicker' transition piece in Easthaven's tavern. MUCH better.

I'm going to withold judgement on the new Jaheira for now. It's just her proficiencies which I'm not used to yet. She has 3 pips in crossbow but can only use light crossbows. So far it is not too much of a problem since I keep her back aways. But usually I used her in a more forward position before with a shield and sling. She does have one pip in sling, so I can still do that but with less effectiveness. Just like her picture shows...she'll be using a crossbow for awhile, and, again, so far it's going okay. smile.gif

The experience awards are low on goblins (20xp), even when they have arrows of biting (60xp). I know they're just goblins but the even easier to kill goblins in 'chateau' Irenicus are worth 65xp each...

Overall, things are running pretty smoothly though which is a good sign, and just arrived in Kuldahar... smile.gif
Vlad
John hi. I'd kile just to mention that you'll get Daisy soon and some nice bolts to it as you asked last time when you visited DE. She has also very good bonuses while using missile weapons so even the regular light crossbow it's still worthwhile to equip for her.
JohnTheMutt
QUOTE(Vlad @ Aug 1 2005, 01:42 AM)
John hi. I'd kile just to mention that you'll get Daisy soon and some nice bolts to it as you asked last time when you visited DE. She has also very good bonuses while using missile weapons so even the regular light crossbow it's still worthwhile to equip for her.

Hi Vlad. That's real good to know! I couldn't recall whether Daisy was a light x-bow or not. So that's definitely something to look forward to. smile.gif

It is nice having Jaheira in the party here since I didn't have her the first time through NeJ1 and I like the dialogue and banters between her and Imoen. laugh.gif
JohnTheMutt
Hi Vlad, Dar doesn't come into the party with any spells memorized...is this intentional? huh.gif

Lysan and her ~10~ Gr. Bearweres...this must be the hardest fight in the game if one tried to kill them all. Can't do it...gotta wait them out... happy.gif
Vlad
John, also if you have noticed I've added the improved nymph script. This is one of the best spell Jaheira has at this level in my opinion... By the way another great spell, and real help to your party is her long-life and immune to many weapons fire elementals. Fight with Lysan could be equally hard and easy if you find the proper tactics. I would say that I always make it easier by... do you really want a spoil? wink.gif

///////////////////////////////////

SPOIL

//////////////////////////////////

1. ...charming yetis in advance
2. ......
3. ......
JohnTheMutt
Thanks for those tips Vlad. smile.gif

I actually didn't think to try charming the Yeti's in advance...but since I keep a lot of save games, I'll go back and try this fight with some of the different tactics that you mention. Especially Jaheira, which I need to get used to using her special ablities and so forth.

The thing is the Gr. Werebears need concentrated damage at a very high rate because of their superfast rate of regeneration, and of course I let Lysan summon all of them that she can... biggrin.gif
Vlad
With one mage and five nymphs you can get 6 yetis on your side... wink.gif biggrin.gif
JohnTheMutt
QUOTE(Vlad @ Aug 2 2005, 11:52 PM)
With one mage and five nymphs you can get 6 yetis on your side...  wink.gif  biggrin.gif

Heh, thanks Vlad. That's part of the problem then...My Kensai is still a Kensai... wink.gif

What I did anyhow is to go back to a save and talk to Lysan. She just asks me to get out and leave her alone. I'll revisit her when I meet up with Kresselack later. Though 10 Gr. Werebears or so will probably rip up a like or more number of Yetis... biggrin.gif

It's a little tough to play without a mage in the party...but I'm giving it a try for awhile, to see how challenging it will be before I dual Kreig anyhow. cool.gif biggrin.gif

When talking with Lysan a 2nd time (I had already talked with her 1st at the Inn) she ddn't recognize me nor did I (lack of dialogue choices) even though the dialogue clearly showed it was Lysan talking with me. So I went back to Whitcomb's Inn and talked to him after speaking with her and there were no dialogue choices either about meeting and talking with Lysan in the Vale.

So I talk with her first in the bar...then in the Vale...and still no one thinks this is peculiar. Vlad, in trying to recall this same part in regular Icewind Dale... wasn't Lysan absent the first time you go to her cave? Thanks.
JohnTheMutt
* I've mentioned this before and am not sure if it's just my game or not, but all the stores in Kuldahar that you can steal from will not turn hostile on a failed PP check. You just get kicked out and can try again. Furthermore, Whitcomb will buy back fenced goods all day long. It is possible to get quite rich with Whitcomb (seriously cheese of course), but he is even more 'broken' than the fences in SoA since he never turns hostile...

The main figures in Kuldahar are worth PP'ng, some of them have some nice items on them. smile.gif

* When buying items from Sister Calliana of the Temple of Ilmater in Kuldahar, she mentions how 'out of stock' they are. When in fact they are stocked quite well with potions, etc. Similar to any average temple's stock. I would recommend depleting this store of some items or at least reducing their stock... mellow.gif
Vlad
John, I need to reproduce your bad experience with Lysan's communication. But are you really concerned with the fact you can exercise your stealing skills in Kuldahar without being caught? wink.gif biggrin.gif Also we don't really know what was the stock of Ilmater's Temple before. smile.gif
JohnTheMutt
Vlad, actually I don't mind all that much about not getting caught ph34r.gif It leaves a lot of cheesy options open to me and I love cheese...heh heh biggrin.gif

As far as the temple is concerned...Brother Gus mentions that they are nearly exhausted and down to just a few curatives and antidotes. Yet the temple store shows 'unlimited' antidotes and 20 Mummy's tea, among others. ohmy.gif Even allowing for a reasonable amount of relativism...that's pushing the boundaries of believability! rolleyes.gif

My own opinion is that I like the well stocked (as per my standards) temple. It can only help me as a player. smile.gif But the seeming inconsistency or contradiction with what Brother Gus mentions is something I feel a need to report to you about. Vlad, in the end it's your choice of course, and I'm completely fine with whatever decision you make on it. cool.gif
JohnTheMutt
After speaking with Kresselack and then going back to see Lysan, she is revealed, as expected, and my PC can recognize her as well. I'm not sure, perhaps someone can verify it, wasn't Lysan not supposed to appear in her cave if you met her in the bar first? And if you bypassed the bar and then went straight into her cave in the vale she was there and tells you to leave? And if you linger she attacks you? I'm trying to recall this from my days of playing IWD... huh.gif

* The Nymphs make 'male' casting sounds when casting their spells. ohmy.gif

* 'Bone Cleaver' does not force undead to make a save or die when thrown. When in melee it seems to work okay however. Also, when right clicking on the weapon, only generic descriptions come up with no clue as to which icon is for throwing or melee. This would be very helpful to show which is for melee and which is for throwing. smile.gif
JohnTheMutt
Found Daisy and the bolts with the x-bow. Very nice! Jaheira now has the best THACO in our party... biggrin.gif

The Bombardier Beetle experience award is MUCH better Vlad. Thank you. smile.gif

When we found Erevain the dialogue initiated correctly by Hrothgar and party.

* When resting in DE, Yuan Ti will spawn in. Vlad, as was mentioned before... do you want to alert the party to the presence of Yuan Ti before they are revealed later? huh.gif

Not really a problem but if you leave Dragon's Eye to go back to Kuldahar and then talk with Arundel to go back to DE, you get the transition piece with music (these are much improved and faster, good job Vlad! smile.gif ) again.
JohnTheMutt
* After saving Mother Egenia from the Talonites a cutscene plays and she proceeds over to the captives and tells them they are safe and free to leave. The only thing is that she walks into the 'fog of war' and you can't see anything. Is it possible to have the party follow close to her as she makes her way over there? Thus clearing the 'fog of war' in the process? And view her interaction with the freed villagers? In any case this is much better now and it makes sense as to why she'll stay there now. smile.gif

* Both the acolytes of the forgotten god temple and the talonite priestesses seem to have un-interruptible spells. For example, their scripts have them casting spells while affected by Jaheira's insect plague. Is this on purpose to make combat with them more difficult? Or a bug?

There is a body located ~ x=3544, y=1295, Area: TT 4002. After going through 2 groups of bombardier beetles and a couple of lesser boring beetles, the corpse yields just some paltry gold. Just a suggestion, but it would be nice if it contained something a little more interesting like, perhaps, a light x-bow and some bolts for Jaheira or potions or just anything that will make it worth the side trip.

The traps are all fixed around Presio's apprentice and before last undead leiutenant and appear to be detectable and removable. Much better!

Presio's Staff of Super Power (heh, I like the title smile.gif) has a much better Icon. Good job on that one Vlad! It's also a very powerful weapon! It gave a bonus of 7 points to THACO in Quarterstaffs! (please note that this is not a complaint wink.gif) The loot and experience awards from the Presio battle are very nice. smile.gif

The fight with Presio and bodyguard might be more challenging if Presio used her staff more and the bodyguard used the Helm of Brilliance. For example casting Globe of Invulnerability/ Lightning bolt of Paralyzation for Presio and Prismatic Spray for the bodyguard. Also I'd have Presio cast protection from normal missles so that unless the party rushes her with normal melee weapons in time...she will have a better chance of getting away.

** When I went to level up Jaheira and put another pip in crossbows for her she is missing the "+" and "-" buttons to add it in, thus making it impossible for her to advance beyond 3 pips in crossbows. I'll send you a screenshot Vlad.

* The 'Oil of Serpent Scales' are not giving the requisite AC bonus.

* The High Summoner's 'unidentified' staff has a messed title. When it is identified it looks to be okay.

* There is no experience award (I think this is a game bug though and not necessarily a mod specific problem...) for fighting of the high summoners' fire elementals, aerial servants, etc. Nice battle however and much improved over earlier versions!

Just a suggestion for more difficulty: how about giving the Yuan Ti Elites in level 5 of Dragon's Eye use 'Arrows of Biting'? Or something similar? It would make them a little bit harder oponents...

The fight with the High Baptist is challenging and very nicely done! Those Histachi pack a punch!

* When we got back to Kuldahar and after confronting the false Arundel, our Journal updated however it left the same entry under 'Quests' as well as under 'Done quests'. That being "Search for the Heartstone Gem". Since it is found, I would think this entry should be under the "Done Quests" heading only. Also, the regular Journal entries are good except that there is no Journal entry for the 5th level of Dragon's Eye or defeating Yxunomei...

Vlad, did you make the Scroll case and Gem bag you buy off of the Innkeeper able to contain an unlimited amount? I do have Ease of Use installed so I was wondering where it's coming from. In any case it sure is very nice to have. biggrin.gif
Vlad
The only thing is that she walks into the 'fog of war' and you can't see anything. Is it possible to have the party follow close to her as she makes her way over there?

Unfortunately I failed to do so. I have worked on this cutscene for a long time and that's it.

Both the acolytes of the forgotten god temple and the talonite priestesses seem to have un-interruptible spells.

It's not a bug John, and I think it's bearable. smile.gif

When I went to level up Jaheira and put another pip in crossbows for her she is missing the "+" and "-" buttons to add it in, thus making it impossible for her to advance beyond 3 pips in crossbows. I'll send you a screenshot Vlad.

John you don't need to send a screenshot, I know this. It's her limitation of the druid/fighter kit. She cannot get this proficiency at all while levelling her up. What can I do is to put 2 additional stars for crossbows in her proficiencies in advance but for me it looks really strange to join Jaheira with 5 stars in crossbows. biggrin.gif

Vlad, did you make the Scroll case and Gem bag you buy off of the Innkeeper able to contain an unlimited amount? I do have Ease of Use installed so I was wondering where it's coming from. In any case it sure is very nice to have.

As I don't have this *problem* wink.gif my answer is EoU.
JohnTheMutt
The only thing is that she walks into the 'fog of war' and you can't see anything. Is it possible to have the party follow close to her as she makes her way over there?

Unfortunately I failed to do so. I have worked on this cutscene for a long time and that's it.

Vlad, it's no problem. Really I think the cutscene is really very good, and am flattered that you even used my suggestion for one here. biggrin.gif Thinking about it further, it is more realistic the way it is... since I haven't actually been over to that part of the cavern yet. If someone wants to see the interaction between Mother Egenia and the villagers then they can always sneak over invisible before the conflict, for example, and clear the 'fog of war'. wink.gif

The cutscene dialogue is well done! It adds much more emotional depth to the whole bit on rescuing the villagers and really ties in well the reason Mother Egenia stays here on this level. cool.gif

Both the acolytes of the forgotten god temple and the talonite priestesses seem to have un-interruptible spells.

It's not a bug John, and I think it's bearable. smile.gif

Vlad, I hope I wasn't complaining, or that it was unbearable? ohmy.gif If you put it there on purpose then I say great! thumb.gif Normally I play with tactics installed (I'll probably try installing it after the beta's are all done...) on the hardest difficulty setting and uninterruptible spells are just one of many features that enemy mages have which require dealing with. Put me on record please as being in favor of the change. smile.gif It would be far too easy a battle if they were'nt. happy.gif

John you don't need to send a screenshot, I know this. It's her limitation of the druid/fighter kit. She cannot get this proficiency at all while levelling her up. What can I do is to put 2 additional stars for crossbows in her proficiencies in advance but for me it looks really strange to join Jaheira with 5 stars in crossbows. biggrin.gif

Vlad, in the 'readme' it is stated that she can obtain Grandmastery in any missle weapon she chooses including light x-bows. Perhaps just changing the readme to reflect her situation then? Because I agree with you that 5 pips in x-bows to start is kind of strong to start her with... smile.gif
JohnTheMutt
Since I had Jaheira in the party this time I got to listen to her dialogue with the others upon Arundel's death. This is very good Jan, I must say. smile.gif

Is that Vangelis in the transition piece? Nice...biggrin.gif

Whoa!! The cutscene with Larrel at The Severed Hand is MUCH faster! Very nice. smile.gif

Good combat throughout the SH. However, for speed sake, I'm going to cheese my way through fairly quickly with some Prot from Undead scrolls... tongue.gif

*Note to self; Do not talk to Custhantos while Prot from Undead... he will think he's giving you his books but in fact doesn't... rolleyes.gif

Symbol of Sehanine Moonbow is nicely improved concerning its function after clicking on equipped items. smile.gif

* The Quest "To restore the Pools of the Elven Shrine" is still present under Quests however even when completed.

* Vlad, I have the same trouble as Jan at the Astrolabe with Larrel.
JohnTheMutt
The Arrows of the Hand seem to be working so far and not causing any crashes to desktop.

** Trying to use the 'Berduskan Brew' caused me to crash to desktop.

* Minor: Orricks quest does not move to *Done Quests* when completed.

* Have the '2nd Key Quest' after transporting to Kuldahar, but this is pre-mature at this time, since I have'nt talked with Hrothgar concerning this issue at all.

Sorry,meant to say the Vangelis theme is on the transition piece leaving NeJ1 to NeJ2. (I cut and pasted in the wrong order and don't want to imply anything out of the ordinary smile.gif)

As always it is a pleasure to play through NeJ1. With all the fixes it is better than ever. Great job Vlad and Jan! thumb.gif

I hope to eventually come back and go through Dorn's Deep and finishing the Spine of the World and help Hrothgar in his quest... biggrin.gif

Now off to NeJ2...
Vlad
Thanks a lot John! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.