Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BG2 EE 2.6, Steam updates the game automaticaly
Badgerlad
post Apr 20 2021, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Heya all,

Just a warning if you happen to play on steam. Beamdog just launched a new update for BG2 EE, and there is no way to prevent steam from updating it, unless you go to properties>update and choose "only update the game when I launch it" and disable your internet connection while playing...

I'm so pissed you can't properly prevent updates...

Is there any solution to fix that, as in making IA viable with BG2 EE 2.6 simply ? Dunno what it takes.

Edit : Nevermind, I was just stopping not to make a shortcut to avoid steam-shit to launch anytime I play. Careful with their auto-update if you do though

This post has been edited by Badgerlad: Apr 20 2021, 02:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
critto
post Apr 20 2021, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Premium Member
Tactical reputation: 2

Is there any solution to fix that, as in making IA viable with BG2 EE 2.6 simply ? Dunno what it takes.

Open up the game's properties in Steam, go to the "betas" tab and select version 2.5

On a more general note, no, I doubt that IA (and many other mods) would just work on 2.6 without adjustments. I'll go through the changelog more thoroughly later and decide whether IAv7 would be compatible with 2.6, depending on the amount compatibility changes required.

Quote Post
Badgerlad
post Apr 20 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

QUOTE(critto @ Apr 20 2021, 08:15 AM) *
Open up the game's properties in Steam, go to the "betas" tab and select version 2.5

Yeah, did that of course, but if you play on steam, it auto-updates to latest version, no way to hold on a beta it seems.
But doing so and launching the game from shortcut and not from steam definitely does the trick.

Quote Post
critto
post Apr 20 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Premium Member

Yeah, did that of course, but if you play on steam, it auto-updates to latest version, no way to hold on a beta it seems.

Well, this is strange, it has never happened to me. I've already been through this once back during the 1.3->2.0 transition.

Quote Post
lroumen
post Apr 20 2021, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

Normally you can copy the whole bg2ee steam folder to a separate folder outside of steam and then you can start it up from there. The game folder is a standalone that does not require steam to be run at all.

However, going back versions will be tough.

Coincidentally I did not do this either so I am in the same boat currently. My pain is less because I am still choosing which class to play from Bg1 onwards and then import into IA.

Biggest change is that antimagic spells seem to be able to target invisible creatures, but I may be misinterpreting that one. A minor one is that resurrection spells can only be cast on dead party members.
The rest is cosmetics and consistency.

This post has been edited by lroumen: Apr 20 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote Post
critto
post Apr 21 2021, 04:30 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Premium Member

I am not experiencing any issues after switching to the 2.5 "beta". I just stay on it no matter how many times I run the game. It just stays on the version I chose.

Biggest change is that antimagic spells seem to be able to target invisible creatures, but I may be misinterpreting that one.

I'm pretty sure that they did it in a manner that could be reverted.

Quote Post
lroumen
post Apr 21 2021, 05:37 AM
Post #7

Forum Member

Yes, it can be reverted, but it means a bit of work

Quote Post
critto
post Apr 21 2021, 06:01 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Premium Member

I strongly suspect that IA already reverts many of these changes due to a simple fact that a lot of changes in IA are made the "old school" way by overwriting resources completely instead of patching them programmatically with more modern implementations of weidu.

Quote Post
lroumen
post Apr 21 2021, 04:52 PM
Post #9

Forum Member

I guess. But I thought you also had the ambition at some point to move towards patching everything the nice way smile.gif

Quote Post
critto
post Apr 21 2021, 06:59 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Premium Member

True, but the chances of getting this done are really low, at least in any foreseeable future.

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:16 PM