The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halbo's New Portrait
Sir_Carnifex
post May 21 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #1

Retired team member

I decided to scrap the previous three portraits I had. Thanks to flysoup for making the new portrait for me.

This post has been edited by Sir_Carnifex: Dec 26 2008, 08:27 PM

--------------------
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb

"I like criticism, but it must be my way." - Mark Twain

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Moongaze
post Jun 11 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

That's one moody halfling... happy.gif

--------------------
-Transition into darkness-

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Jun 11 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Retired team member

Well, he's not exactly a moody character even if he looks it. Shady is the term I would use.

--------------------
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

Quote Post
Domi
post Jun 13 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

I am not sure if it's my screen, but the portrait looks to be of an awful quality. I can see an unmasked outline of the photograph pasted on the excessively bright background, and the resolution is nowhere near BG, it's really grainy. If I may make a suggestion, if the portrait has the mood and the character vibe you like, ask someone to re-edit it for you.

This post has been edited by Domi: Jun 13 2008, 05:13 PM

--------------------
Worry not about the arrow with your name on it, for there is but one. Instead, occupy yourself with the arrows addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'...

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Jun 13 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #5

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

there was some pretty rough jpg compression there. and maybe a few things that were not to design or maybe it was, either way I made some changes.Mainly I tried to de-chunk him

This post has been edited by Sir-Kill: Jun 13 2008, 06:33 PM

--------------------

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Jun 13 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Retired team member

Domi: I'll be the first to admit that I fall way short of being an artist, plus that I lack any real experience with computer graphics. I did the best (ok, maybe not best, but I tried anyway) I could with a VERY outdated program. I'm generally not one to specifically ask someone to do something for me which is why I never requested an improvement. Volunteers are accepted though. smile.gif

As for the color, I'm not sure what you mean by calling the background excessively bright. When I put it next to the original Bioware portraits, it is considerably darker than they are. Perhaps you meant that it is very saturated with color? Or maybe it is your monitor (or mine).

Sir-Kill: Thanks for you edit of the portrait. It really does look much, much better. I have no idea about how to properly compress JPGs (although the one I loaded is a BMP) or anything like that, so that would probably explain why it looked so bad. Actually, the portrait looked pretty good to me at 2 AM when I was working on it. The eyes probably weren't working right at the time. laugh.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Jun 14 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #7

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

n/p didn't have much to do at work at that moment.
about jpg never use it if it is something you want to keep. png is about 1/2 he size of a bmp and both are lossless.

--------------------

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Jun 14 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #8

Retired team member

about jpg never use it if it is something you want to keep. png is about 1/2 he size of a bmp and both are lossless.

The original pictures that I used to edit were originally JPG. What your saying is that they lose quality when switched to another format?

--------------------

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Jun 14 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #9

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

every time you save jpg it looses quality (unless you change the options to lossless)
yeah most all images on the net are jpg, and most of those are pretty heavily compressed. so if you snag an image off the net and doe some editing on it and want to keep it, maybe even edit it again, it is just best to use png (sk loves png) or keep the jpg compression to about 4 and the unless you have an option (as paintshop has) for croma sub-sampling (sp?) and that is set to 1 then you can go higher, but for portraits why bother they are small either way. wink.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Dec 26 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Retired team member

Updated with flysoup's great piece of art. Halbo now looks much more fit to be implemented into Baldur's Gate!

--------------------

Quote Post
Daulmakan
post Dec 26 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

Much better.

--------------------
I ain't evil, I'm just good looking.

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Dec 26 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #12

Retired team member

QUOTE(Daulmakan @ Dec 26 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Much better.

Definitely! I think I'll stay away from attempts at portraits on my own from now on. lol

--------------------

Quote Post
Moongaze
post Dec 31 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #13

Forum Member

Grand.

--------------------
-Transition into darkness-

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:00 PM