Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is romance really necessary?
balduran
post Nov 22 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #1

Supremacy of the Metal Kingdom
Group Icon

Mod Developer

For the pst few years almost all custom NPCs come with their own romance plot. In fact there's so much of them that I doubt anyone has ever managed to develop each of them till the end. That's why I am considering making Azure's quests non-romance reliable, which would make them available to the gamer regardless of the fact that they did not choose to romance her. I am also considering of completely getting rid of the romance, which would allow me to focus what little is left of my spare time (which lately is about zero hours per day) on developing the quests and banters and releasing the mod in the near future.

Actually, what is left to be done is to finish the plane quest (see the screenshot) and to add a ToB quest and summoning dialogue option for the pocket plane, as well as the entire banter.

--------------------
Blessed be the one who has nothing to say, and yet remains silent.

Too many chieftan, too little indian.

http://balduran.blackwyrmlair.net

-- Azure NPC Romance
-- BG2 Improvements
-- IWD Improvements
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
ronin69hof
post Nov 22 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

I dont play romances when I play NPC's anyways so IMHO a romance is not necessary.

ronin

Quote Post
kulyok
post Nov 22 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Forum Member

I think another good female romance would do the game justice.

I, for one, am looking forward to PPG's Nalia.

--------------------

Quote Post
Magnus_025
post Nov 22 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

I think a romance is needed. Your Azure seems so interesting, a girl in need of help... how would you not consider to fall in love with her? I also think that her quests may not be for only romance path. You can try a friendship path or something. If that means to wait until your have the time to fininsh it, don't worry, people interested in your mod will wait. BTW congratulations for your future novel, I'm interested in reading it. tongue.gif

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Nov 22 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #5

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

put me in the no catagory. I like to kill dragons not plan for a wedding smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sir-Kill: Nov 22 2005, 03:24 PM

--------------------

Quote Post
balduran
post Nov 22 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Mod Developer

QUOTE(Sir-Kill @ Nov 22 2005, 06:18 PM)
put me in the no catagory. I like to kill dragons not plan for a wedding

I like your style. I'd be sure to put a dragon in the plane especially for you wink.gif but Magnus has a point too. Maby I should patch up a playable version without the romance and then release something like Azure v2.0 when the romance is implemented. The problem is that romance have proven to be very difficult to work with and I for one find them time consuming, and as I stated - time is what I lack with all the things I have to write this semester in different areas - right of speech, political systems in Europe, etc. Hell, I don't even know what to start with.

My best bet is that I could finish the mod without romance by New Year, and the romance, unless I get some help with it, won't be comming shortly afterwads.

--------------------

-- Azure NPC Romance
-- BG2 Improvements
-- IWD Improvements

Quote Post
ronin69hof
post Nov 22 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Forum Member

YOu only have to make one version (with a romance), if someone doesnt like to play it all they gotta do is kill the romance (cant be that hard) or just ignore it and click your way thru the dialogues. (what I do with all romances) I also like to play the game and not plan a wedding, killin stuff and getting treasure and solvin the riddles is the most fun.

ronin

Quote Post
jastey
post Nov 22 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #8

Forum Member

Release a version without a romance if you are afraid of the delay the mod would get. A romance is a lot of work (I am talking from experience) and if your time is limited atm the mod release could be delayed by a year easily this way.
A version with some PC talks, banters and quests would be an NPC mod I would consider worth downloading (not very fond of one-day NPCs).

Quote Post
Magnus_025
post Nov 23 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #9

Forum Member

Well, I like to wed girls biggrin.gif . And I would like to wed Azure if it could be completly released. I know this can take a lot of time so i will accept that it is only a non-romanceable mod. Just as Kindrek, Kido or Yasraena. These are great mods and don't have a romance.
So if you don't have the time, don't make it a romanceable character but PLEASE make good quests, good interjections, good banters... a great mod as in my opinion Azure can be!.

P.S: I also like killin' bad guys, looting, becoming more rich... to buy pretty things to my girlfriend! biggrin.gif

Quote Post
balduran
post Nov 23 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Mod Developer

Don't get me wrong. There will be a romance, but not in the initial release. It will just take more time than I originally expected. When I first posted the Readme thread, I said that the mod was going to be ready by the end of Sept. 2005. But then some things happaned in my private life, which occupied my free time and now I am waiting for the hollydays to start working on it day and night. I could ask s.o. for help, but most people here are already preocupied with their own mods, and there's no point in burdening others, just because I cannot live up to my own expectations.

So, Magnus, don't worry - there will be a romance. It just won't be here very soon.

P.S.
P.S: I also like killin' bad guys, looting, becoming more rich... to buy pretty things to my girlfriend! 

If you buy you girl gifts in real life, make sure you find a job you get money for. It's safer than killing bad guys.

This post has been edited by balduran: Nov 23 2005, 11:44 AM

--------------------

-- Azure NPC Romance
-- BG2 Improvements
-- IWD Improvements

Quote Post
Domi
post Nov 23 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

There will be a romance, but not in the initial release. It will just take more time than I originally expected.

This way lays emptiness - take it from someone who did such a thing and knows now she was a fool. Don't leave anything for later - do everything at one. Otherwise after you *have* spent the time on doing the romance there won't be enough audience. It is my experience that people are more excited about the projects that promise much, spoil little, and don't release until it's done (or ever).

--------------------
Worry not about the arrow with your name on it, for there is but one. Instead, occupy yourself with the arrows addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'...

Quote Post
Magnus_025
post Nov 24 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #12

Forum Member

If you buy you girl gifts in real life, make sure you find a job you get money for. It's safer than killing bad guys.

Ok, ok, I was joking! biggrin.gif In real like i would not kill anyone (although i can think or two or three...) And I'm working (more/less) so I can buy her a lot of things.
And, with all the respect for your work, and knowing anything about modding or programming (appart from the video to record a film happy.gif ) I agree with Domi. I think it's better to develope the whole mod (with romance included if it's going to have it) than a partially completed mod. But as I said it's not necessary to include a romance to make your mod fantastic. You modders have your own life and life is the foremost important thing.
Bye, and keep working! smile.gif (whenever you can, of course)

Quote Post
Moongaze
post Nov 24 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Forum Member

I'm working on a romanceable NPC as well, and I have to admit progress is going slow enough even without the romance having to be written and coded. An NPC can indeed be very good, even without a romance, but if a romance (or lack thereof) was part of the original plan, go for it. It doesn't have to be finished before Christmas or whatever.

What you could do is release a SoA portion first, including the NPC, romance, banters/interjections, quests and the like, and save the ToB-related stuff for later (assuming there is going to be ToB-related things for Azure). Several mods already did this, including Nathaniel and Kivan of Shilmista, and I'm probably going to do that too.

--------------------
-Transition into darkness-

Quote Post
ronin69hof
post Nov 24 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #14

Forum Member

case in point, wikeade, he is an excellent npc with no romance. I like him because he keeps his mouth shut and does what I tell him to do, namely killing shit and healing party members and I dont have to worry about him grabbin my butt and I dont have to worry about being nice to him or buying him flowers.

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

ronin

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Nov 25 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #15

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

rofl
exactly

--------------------

Quote Post
kulyok
post Nov 25 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #16

Forum Member

case in point, wikeade, he is an excellent npc with no romance. I like him because he keeps his mouth shut and does what I tell him to do, namely killing shit and healing party members and I dont have to worry about him grabbin my butt and I dont have to worry about being nice to him or buying him flowers.

A romanceable NPC whom you do not romance (click on him/her and say "Shut up, kiddo") is exactly the same as a non-romanceable NPC.

--------------------

Quote Post
Domi
post Nov 25 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #17

Forum Member

What you could do is release a SoA portion first, including the NPC, romance, banters/interjections, quests and the like, and save the ToB-related stuff for later (assuming there is going to be ToB-related things for Azure). Several mods already did this, including Nathaniel and Kivan of Shilmista, and I'm probably going to do that too.

Nope, that's not what KoSh did.

What I did was exceptionally stupid - I decided to do a 1 day NPC when I was in the middle of a huge project (BG1NPC). Then I compounded that mistake by continuing to add content to it. Finally, now, I am getting close to finished product for SoA part -with about 5 times more content than there was in the initial 1 day project - and that is after some thousand downloads. The only thing that offsets my stupidity is that I *had* to do it or forever cry that I missed my chance to work on Kivan. So I am working on it with the persistence of a termite chewing through a wall. I think, my strength of will is insufficient to carry me through ToB though. I have other ideas that interest me more, and I desperately lack time.

In my honest to god opinion it's too late to seek glory in BG2 NPC modding; so you have a choice of making it good w/o giving a damn about the releases, or making it fast to get rid of it. Half-measures aren't going to bring neither glory, nor the feeling of accomplishement.

--------------------
Worry not about the arrow with your name on it, for there is but one. Instead, occupy yourself with the arrows addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'...

Quote Post
Moongaze
post Nov 29 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #18

Forum Member

QUOTE(ronin69hof @ Nov 24 2005, 11:15 PM)

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

ronin

Well, I'm glad you like his obedience. He *is* Lawful Neutral, after all.

Nope, that's not what KoSh did.

What I did was exceptionally stupid - I decided to do a 1 day NPC when I was in the middle of a huge project (BG1NPC). Then I compounded that mistake by continuing to add content to it. Finally, now, I am getting close to finished product for SoA part -with about 5 times more content than there was in the initial 1 day project - and that is after some thousand downloads. The only thing that offsets my stupidity is that I *had* to do it or forever cry that I missed my chance to work on Kivan. So I am working on it with the persistence of a termite chewing through a wall. I think, my strength of will is insufficient to carry me through ToB though. I have other ideas that interest me more, and I desperately lack time.

I see. My apologies, then.

In my honest to god opinion it's too late to seek glory in BG2 NPC modding; so you have a choice of making it good w/o giving a damn about the releases, or making it fast to get rid of it. Half-measures aren't going to bring neither glory, nor the feeling of accomplishement.

Seeking glory has become hard, I'll agree to that. If that's the reason why someone's modding, they'd better present something good, which is becoming difficult with all the new mods popping up everywhere.

In my opinion, the most important thing, or one of the most important things, is enjoying what you do, be it modding or something else. I'm never going to like the community aspect of modding again, I'm afraid, but I do enjoy writing for my mods, and seeing the end results. For my own enjoyment, I do what I do.

--------------------
-Transition into darkness-

Quote Post
Magnus_025
post Nov 30 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #19

Forum Member

As a BG series player and a inconditional mod lover I would disagree with the fact that it does not worth the effort to seek glory in modding. It is true that every day new mods pop up and say "hello" but it is very clear, at least for me, when a mod is a great mod or when a mod is going to be a great mod, or when a mod is a real s..t.
Every time a new mod appears I want to play it. If they provide me some entertainment I will not play them again, but if they make me happy every moment of its quest, its romances or its lets say spells, I will always install that mod, and I will be waiting its modder next mod only to see if it is as good as the other.
So, you modders have to seek glory because you can still get it and you will be able to get it. For a long time. Examples of mods that IMHO can achieve glory, as can their modders are Lost Crossroads, Fade Npc ToB portion, Callum Npc, Lands of Intrigue, Return to Windspear Hills or Azure Npc. Just make a great story, try to eliminate all the possible bugs and be sure that a lot of people will always install your mod, being me one of them. tongue.gif

Quote Post
Domi
post Nov 30 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #20

Forum Member

Hope springs eternal. laugh.gif

--------------------

Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:44 AM