Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unfixed bugs of vanilla game, Send them here if you find any
Mylek
post Oct 24 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #361

Forum Member

I have observed a bug with dispel magic.

It seems dispel magic cast on the party by party members does not properly dispel higher level effects. Lower level effects seem to be removed some of the time as it should be but higher level effects are never removed (1%?). A +1 caster level effect should be removed 40% of the time. On its own this bug doesn't seem significant, but it may reveal other issues with dispel.

To repeat my test start a new game with a mage protagonist that knows shield and dispel magic. Have Imoen (L8 sorc) and the protagonist (L7 mage) cast shield. When the protagonist casts dispel magic on the party it seems that his own shield is removed about 50% of the time, while Imoen's shield is never removed.

I have attached a copy of my WeiDU.log.

This post has been edited by Mylek: Oct 24 2008, 03:58 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  WeiDUlog.txt ( 1.55k ) Number of downloads: 10

Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Sikret
post Oct 24 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #362

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Mylek @ Oct 24 2008, 08:27 AM) *
I have observed a bug with dispel magic.

It seems dispel magic cast on the party by party members does not properly dispel higher level effects. Lower level effects seem to be removed some of the time as it should be but higher level effects are never removed (1%?). A +1 caster level effect should be removed 40% of the time. On its own this bug doesn't seem significant, but it may reveal other issues with dispel.

To repeat my test start a new game with a mage protagonist that knows shield and dispel magic. Have Imoen (L8 sorc) and the protagonist (L7 mage) cast shield. When the protagonist casts dispel magic on the party it seems that his own shield is removed about 50% of the time, while Imoen's shield is never removed.

Since this is a report of a possible bug in the vanilla game and has nothing to do with IA, I moved it from IA bug thread to the relevant topic here.

At some opportunity, I will ask one of my testers to test this; but even if such a bug exists in the game, there is nothing we can do about it; so, let's just hope that there is no such bug and dispel magic works as its description says. smile.gif

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
LZJ
post Oct 24 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #363

Forum Member

I've just tested this with a vanilla game setup (clean install as per the recommended setup EXCEPT IA). I created a multiplayer game with a custom Necromancer and a custom sorcerer, bumped the sorcerer's XP up using Shadowkeeper.

The test:
- Necromancer at level 7, sorcerer at level 8
- Both would cast Shield
- Necromancer would cast Dispel Magic

Results (51 times, as a level 7 Necromancer has 3 level 3 spell slots):
Necromancer's Shield dispelled 21 times, Sorcerer's Shield not dispelled at all.

Either I was extremely unlucky or the probability is really wrong.

@Sikret:

Please PM me if you need me to conduct more tests using a vanilla game setup.

EDIT:

More results.

Using the same test, The Necromancer's Shield was dispelled 27 times out of 51 tries, whilst the Sorcerer's Shield was not dispelled at all.

I also tried the reverse out: using the level 8 Sorcerer to dispel the Shields (level 8 Sorcerer's can cast level 3 spells 5 times).

First 50 times: Sorcerer's Shield dispelled 17 times, Necromancer's Shield dispelled 26 times.
Second set of 50: Sorcerer's Shield dispelled 27 times, Necromancer's Shield dispelled 29 times.

This post has been edited by LZJ: Oct 24 2008, 11:47 AM

Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 24 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #364

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester
Tactical reputation: 4

I'm not sure it's a problem with the probability, I think it could be a problem with sorcerers - there are similar problems when a sorcerer in the party casts a spell like Spell Turning/Spell Trap and then someone else in the party casts single-target spells at them - namely that the spell protection does not seem to be depleted properly.

Try making two mages (not sorcerers) of comparable levels and repeat the test, have one cast Shield and the other cast the Dispel. Then try with two sorcerers.

EDIT: LZJ your last test seems to be consistent with the idea that the caster (in this case, the sorcerer) can always affect their own spells with Dispel Magic as normal.

This post has been edited by Raven: Oct 24 2008, 01:36 PM

Quote Post
LZJ
post Oct 24 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #365

Forum Member

Following what Raven said, I've just tested this with 2 Necromancers.

The lvl 7 Necromancer attempting to dispel the Shields of both:
51 times: Lvl 7 Necromancer's Shield dispelled 23 times, Lvl 8 Necromancer's Shield not dispelled at all.

As can be seen, the problem still exists where both are mages (as opposed to a mage and a sorcerer).

I'll be testing this with 2 Sorcerers very soon.

EDIT:

Tested it with 2 Sorcerers, one level 7 and the other level 8, with the level 7 Sorcerer casting the Dispel.
Out of 52 Times: Lvl 7 Sorcerer's Shield dispelled 21 times, Lvl 8 Sorcerer's Shield not dispelled at all.

Conclusion: high probability that there's a bug with the Dispel Magic.

This post has been edited by LZJ: Oct 24 2008, 02:09 PM

Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 24 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #366

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

Hmm it looks like there is some problem with Dispel Magic. Like Sikret said though, probably nothing can be done about it. As long as Dispel and Remove Magic work ok when one of the casters involved is an enemy, it's not so big a problem.

Quote Post
Apsis
post Nov 24 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #367

Forum Member

Contingency still triggered on some very particular enemy mages' corpses. I only encountered this with Harpers (one of them is named Jeremon the other's name escapes me) from Jaheira romance, they might possibly be overlooked. It's no big deal but still..

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 25 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #368

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Apsis @ Nov 25 2008, 03:25 AM) *
Contingency still triggered on some very particular enemy mages' corpses. I only encountered this with Harpers (one of them is named Jeremon the other's name escapes me) from Jaheira romance, they might possibly be overlooked. It's no big deal but still..

Will check and fix. Thanks!

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
Apsis
post Nov 25 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #369

Forum Member

I didn't notice that until recently but as far as i can see the sequencers do not work the way they are intended to. For instance today Lavok triggered a sequencer at me loaded with (Remove Magic+Malison+Slow), but it affected me in exactly reverse order, that is, first i saved against slow, then my saving throws are lowered, then i got dispelled. I hadn't notice that since i generally load sequencers with spells that have same effects (more or less) like 3xRemove Magic or 3xEmotion etc.

So while loading sequencers one should also take into account the projectile speed of spells which is impossible to determine. Moreover, even when the order is changed, the effects are still applied in meaningless orders. I ran some tests with the above combo(i have screenshots too);

Remove+Malison+Slow => Slow+Malison+Remove
Remove+Slow+Malison => Slow+Remove+Malison
Slow+Malison+Remove => Slow+Remove+Malison
Slow+Remove+Malison => Slow+Remove+Malison
Malison+Remove+Slow => Slow+Remove+Malison
Malison+Slow+Remove => Slow+Remove+Malison

How is it even possible that for only one order the effects are applied differently? And is this problem even fixable?

ps I don't know if this is related to IA or vanilla game so i posted it here

Quote Post
Nominar
post Jan 15 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #370

Forum Member

The description for the 7th level priest spell 'Resurrection' says that the casting time is 1 turn, I think it should be 1 round (1 turn = 10 rounds = 1 minute, right?).

Quote Post
Apsis
post Jan 15 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #371

Forum Member

The description for the 7th level priest spell 'Resurrection' says that the casting time is 1 turn, I think it should be 1 round (1 turn = 10 rounds = 1 minute, right?).

Also same for Druid spell Call lightning.

Quote Post
darkjeshush
post Mar 10 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #372

Forum Member

Don't know if anybody already listed this...

If you drain levels from draconus, he becomes invincible. At near death, his initial dialogue is repeated instead of changing into his dragon form, and he stays at near death, surviving infinite damage. I had to reload a couple of times until I unequipped Sword of Mask. (purely on conjecture, but it turns out that was actually the problem)

Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 10 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #373

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

QUOTE(darkjeshush @ Mar 10 2009, 12:37 AM) *
Don't know if anybody already listed this...

If you drain levels from draconus, he becomes invincible. At near death, his initial dialogue is repeated instead of changing into his dragon form, and he stays at near death, surviving infinite damage. I had to reload a couple of times until I unequipped Sword of Mask. (purely on conjecture, but it turns out that was actually the problem)

Draconis is immune to level drain in his human form, in both IA and the vanilla game. If he is not transitioning into dragon form there is surely some other reason.

Quote Post
Kerkes
post Mar 11 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #374

Forum Member
Tactical reputation: 1

This may or may not be a bug, but I believe it is (not a big one anyway) - Sendai's helmet (Wong Fei's Ioun Stone) is said to be usable by: Monk, Fighter, Kensai. Dual-classed fighters can use it, but multiclasses can not. Yet, a fighter/mage/cleric can.

Quote Post
nicoper
post Mar 31 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #375

little Bounaï
Group Icon

Gold Member

Hi,

Not really a bug, more an annoyance, and not sure whether it's vanilla game issue or IA, but when your berseker is enraged (protected from level drain among other things), you still have message "5 level drain" on your feedback (while levels are not drained on character sheet).
This happend to me while fighting Orcus, didn't notice on other fights.

(I just have classical IA install, no other mod)

Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 31 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #376

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

QUOTE(nicoper @ Mar 31 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Hi,

Not really a bug, more an annoyance, and not sure whether it's vanilla game issue or IA, but when your berseker is enraged (protected from level drain among other things), you still have message "5 level drain" on your feedback (while levels are not drained on character sheet).

Yeah it is just a cosmetic issue of the vanilla Enrage - it's easy enough to fix the ability to disable the 'x levels drained' strings, I'm sure Sikret will do it when he gets a chance. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Raven: Mar 31 2009, 10:01 AM

Quote Post
matti
post Mar 31 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #377

Forum Member

Vanilla bug is that levels should be drained. Berserkers enrage should not protect from level drain. Ability description says nothing about protection from level drain, afaik.

Quote Post
nicoper
post Mar 31 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #378

little Bounaï
Group Icon

Gold Member

thanks for answer.

@matti: didn't notice that, reading some threads here I thought it granted that rage protects against level drain. rolleyes.gif

I seldom play with bersekers (and never did once without IA installed)

Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 31 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #379

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

matti I see your point; AFAIK in IA Enrage *is* supposed to protection from Level Drain and consequently *is* supposed to disable the 'x levels drained' strings.

Quote Post
Sikret
post Apr 5 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #380

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Raven @ Mar 31 2009, 02:31 PM) *
QUOTE(nicoper @ Mar 31 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Hi,

Yeah it is just a cosmetic issue of the vanilla Enrage - it's easy enough to fix the ability to disable the 'x levels drained' strings, I'm sure Sikret will do it when he gets a chance. Thanks.

Done!

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
9 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 10:47 PM