22 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unfixed bugs of vanilla game, Send them here if you find any
thetruth
post Jun 10 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #81

Retired team member
Tactical reputation: 2

Sikret if you remove both PI and Simulacrum from the game pure Arcane spell-casters are penalized too much.

If you decide to implement a summoning spell then IMO:

a) It should be "gated".

b ) It should have high physical resistances (at least 50% but no MR since Nishruu and Hakeashar are enough).

c) Good THACO,AC and at least 2 ApR.

Giving the above abilities to the Elite Djinni seems a good idea to me.

Another idea maybe could be to make an improved version of the Tenser's Transformation spell. The same abilities of TT+ the ability for the Mage to cast 1-4 level spells. This could be a spell useful to pure Mages and not overpowered for a 8 level spell. Besides it replaces better the Simulacrum spell.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
leonidas
post Jun 10 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #82

Forum Member

Thetruth speaks the truth, whereas project image is cheesy and bugged for a large percentage of the game, simlacrum only really becomes an issue right at the end. I wouldn't recommend changing it.

However, if we are going to change it, improved tenser's transformation would be a nice thing for mages to play around with (after all, they already have a plethora of summoning spells). That way pure mages can retain some power despite losing one of their better spells.

Also, there is already a much underused summoning spell in the 8th spell circle: summon cacofiend. It is my belief the demon summoning spells should be improved before adding another summoning spell (I can't think of a reason anyone would cast them atm).

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jun 11 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #83

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Clown @ Jun 10 2007, 06:46 PM) *
Quite like the second option(No Ghost Spiders) there for the summoning spell if we have to lose both PI and simul but would really prefer if at least simul could stay.
The opportunity for exploitation of simul is very limited as you need some seriously high levels to be able to pull that off. It will be a very small minority of people who choose to abuse it and probabaly not the people improved anvil is aimed at, seems to me removing it is a bit uneccesary plus i like the spell.

QUOTE(leonidas @ Jun 11 2007, 03:03 AM) *
whereas project image is cheesy and bugged for a large percentage of the game, simlacrum only really becomes an issue right at the end. I wouldn't recommend changing it.

I'm persuaded. I will not replace Simulacrum with a new spell.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
Roy
post Jun 11 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #84

Forum Member

It seems to me that removing the PI and simulcrum will make socerers and
mages a lot less usful.I always use PI for before and after battles with
buffing and later rod of ressuraction and than destroy them.

Since all the monsters have more resistences and to get any sorcerer
or mage actually hit something with spells requires few ruby rays,than
removing magical defences and than lowering resistence and than
hoping that they are not immune to fire/acid/whatever you use.

Not sure about the summons instead of simulcrum.The elementals and
djinni can be used with the ring or druid.

Quote Post
leonidas
post Jun 11 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #85

Forum Member

Hrm yes, losing project image is a big hit for mages, but frankly I'm against mages having infinite amounts of spells.

It will encourage better spell management this way.

Imp. tenser's transformation would be cool for bridging the power gap between mages and other classes though. If mages are really crippled by this lastest change, that's the idea I like the best.

Quote Post
Roy
post Jun 11 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #86

Forum Member

QUOTE(leonidas @ Jun 11 2007, 02:20 PM) *

Hrm yes, losing project image is a big hit for mages, but frankly I'm against mages having infinite amounts of spells.

Imp. tenser's transformation would be cool for bridging the power gap between mages and other classes though. If mages are really crippled by this lastest change, that's the idea I like the best.

It's that with all the changes mages(single classed) and sorcerers are
not really usful.I'm using Kelsey as a 12 level sorcerer and he is
used for buffing,breaching(I have Keldorn too,and F/M/T and a F/T to
help with that too because he can't remove defences fast enough).
And than mages also have numerous scrolls for back up and contigencies.
I'm in chaper 2 and Kelsey hardly helps.

Maybe Sikret could make this an optional component or put the new
spells in and make it as a matter of a choice to the player
if he wants to or not.

And that would have to be some serios improved TT since it's a bit hard
to imagine casting it and sending him to melee Firkrag,Mellisan
or any other boss.

About the simulcrum compared to other summons with F/M it gives summon
that grows in power with levels and is usful in contrast
to Sikret suggestions that will compared to enemies will get weaker
and weaker.

Quote Post
rbeverjr
post Jun 11 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #87

Group Icon

Premium Member

QUOTE(leonidas @ Jun 11 2007, 10:20 AM) *

I generally prefer my mage to be able to cast spells. I have fighters to do the fighting. I also think that the mage would soon die in many battles without the ability to cast PfMW. Even though he could use scrolls, scrolls are in limited supply.

Concerning spell management: I generally don't use PI even now, and only if I think I need to. Still, some of the battles are soooo long (due to resistances, spamming of PfMW, etc.) that any thing to extend the number of spells is useful. As reported, I went through several wish spells (maybe 5) during the JD finale trying to get "rest and restore spells" to no avail.

Quote Post
Clown
post Jun 11 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #88

Forum Member

I think we now have a good balance, replacing PI but keeping Simul. Should remove most of the scope for cheating while not nerfing mages to any great degree for the average palyer.

@Roy:
A pure class mage in IA is certainly not useless, they just need to be used slightly differently than in the vanilla game. Both times I've played through i've had a single class mage(Kelsey,Edwin) and they've each been key players. In early game they tend to be good for disabling type spells as well as early acess to improved haste, PfMW, ruby ray and several other key spells. However its later in the game in a few of the improved encounters that you'll be really glad you've got a powerful spell slinger on board, promise. Mages are still very useful in IA just not able to take on the whole world single handed the way they used to be able to.

Quote Post
leonidas
post Jun 11 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #89

Forum Member

Atm sikret is striking up the best balance between preventing cheesiness and mage's effectiveness.

I was merely chiming in my support for imp tenser's transformation, if something happens in the future regarding mages and their much-reduced power.

As for mages being kept pure spell casters? Well for a start tenser's is already in the game, it's just a worthless spell, and there are plenty of examples of melee-damage spells in infinity engine games and D&D. Mages should have something to do when spells run out.

Quote Post
Vardaman
post Jun 21 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #90

Forum Member

This isn't a bug but it does annoy me. Could you switch the Mace of Disruption +2's display icon back to the MoD +1's icon? As in the vanilla game, it switches to the icon for a regular Mace +1 after upgrading it. I just hate it because I get paranoid I'll accidentally sell the MoD +2 and not realize it until way later. laugh.gif

Actually, it'd be sweet to add an option to upgrade the mace again to a +3 weapon. It's a fun weapon but sees very little use after the middle game besides to bestow neg plane protection.

I think this display problem was fixed by the Improved Items mod so it should be a pretty easy fix.

Thanks for all the great work, Sikret. I'm on my first play-through (v.4.2) and the mod has been a blast so far.

Quote Post
leonidas
post Jun 21 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #91

Forum Member

QUOTE(Vardaman @ Jun 21 2007, 04:05 PM) *

This isn't a bug but it does annoy me. Could you switch the Mace of Disruption +2's display icon back to the MoD +1's icon? As in the vanilla game, it switches to the icon for a regular Mace +1 after upgrading it. I just hate it because I get paranoid I'll accidentally sell the MoD +2 and not realize it until way later. laugh.gif

Actually, it'd be sweet to add an option to upgrade the mace again to a +3 weapon. It's a fun weapon but sees very little use after the middle game besides to bestow neg plane protection.

I think this display problem was fixed by the Improved Items mod so it should be a pretty easy fix.

Thanks for all the great work, Sikret. I'm on my first play-through (v.4.2) and the mod has been a blast so far.

I agree with this, there are no good maces available before TOB, and about it being ugly when you upgrade.

Quote Post
thetruth
post Jun 21 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #92

Retired team member

Btw the MoD+1 is +3 enhanced and the MoD+2 is +5 enhanced.
I think an update in their descriptions is needed.

Quote Post
Arkain
post Jul 6 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #93

Forum Member

Is it possible to do something about the effects of Haste described here?

http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm

This post has been edited by Arkain: Jul 6 2007, 11:06 PM

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 8 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #94

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

My browser fails to open the link, Arkain!

I'll appreciate if you explain the problem. Chances are that I may have already fixed them in v4.3 however, because I have implemented some fixes regarding haste effects.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
muddymissfit
post Jul 8 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #95

Forum Member

QUOTE(Arkain @ Jul 7 2007, 01:05 AM) *

these effects ?

Hasted characters regenerate at twice normal rate. Combine three Regenerations with haste and regenerate 108 hit points per round.

Hasted characters protected by Blade Barrier or Globe of Blades deal damage every half round instead of every full round.

Quote Post
Sikret
post Jul 8 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #96

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

No, they are not fixable.

What I have fixed are two other things:

1- A hasted characters' doubled movement speed would still stack with the movement bonus of Boots of Speed. I have fixed the boots to make sure that they will not stack and won't result in a character with quadruple speed.

2- Moreover, Improved Haste could still be blocked by Globe of Invulnerability in the vanilla game. I have fixed it. The globe should not block a 6th level spell.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
thetruth
post Jul 8 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #97

Retired team member

QUOTE(Arkain @ Jul 7 2007, 01:05 AM) *

If you refer to this:

Haste only gives you half a bonus attack if you already have an extra half attack per round.

then unfortunately it cannot be fixed.

Quote Post
Arkain
post Jul 8 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #98

Forum Member

Hmm... strange that your browser won't open it. Bah, the link doesn't work as intented anyway... -.- (and now we've learnt: always test links beforehand)

What I was referring to is listed in the "General Spell Info" part:

Haste sort of doubles the speed at which you "live". While hasted, effects that normally apply once per second now apply once per half second, and AI scripts are executed every half second instead of every full second as well.

- Hasted characters take continuous damage twice as often. Watch out for insect swarms, poison, disease and acid.
- Hasted characters regenerate at twice normal rate. Combine three Regenerations with haste and regenerate 108 hit points per round.
- Hasted characters protected by Blade Barrier or Globe of Blades deal damage every half round instead of every full round.

[edit] So these issues are not fixable? Mhm... oh well.
On the other hand I remembered something else I read in the spells reference: The original game's GoI blocked Improved Haste... which is interesting as according to the Spells Reference (which is the website to which the link should lead you) Improved Haste is handled differently than a normal 6th level spell:

This spell has a "power" of only 3, meaning it knocks only three levels off (Minor) Spell Deflection or Turning. This may have been BioWare's intention, since you now cannot destroy a Minor Spell Turning by bouncing one of these off it.

I don't know what you changed, but you might take a look at this issue as well, Sikret. [/edit]

This post has been edited by Arkain: Jul 8 2007, 09:04 PM

Quote Post
Ice
post Jul 9 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #99

Forum Member

Mages seem to use their sequencers/triggers even when unconscious/stunned/etc.

Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 10 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #100

Forum Member

...Or when they have a protection from magic scroll on them (this one is probably a bit of a cheese tactic...I haven't saved after doing this one)

Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th September 2024 - 03:23 PM