The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contest: "Guess the scene!", Discussion topic -- post here please!
Baronius
post Jun 28 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

"Guess the scene!"

The idea is based on a nice drawing of Sir Carnifex.

The "Guess the scene!" series will last for 9+1 weeks. There will be one picture in each of the 9 weeks, showing a scene from an Infinity Engine game (usually from the Baldur's Gate series I suppose). There will be a few questions stated about the picture, with a total score of 6p (which means perfect answers to all questions). Bonus points can be given for very outstanding answers, but the total score (after bonus points) may not exceed the allowed maximum (6p). The last, 10th week is an exception, as there will be no guessing: instead, the picture will show some new situation, and a simple (and probably BG2) mod -- inspired by or related to the picture -- will have to be created.

The winner of the week will be the person who gets the highest score. The winner of the contest will be the person with the highest total score (score of week1 + week2 + ... + week10), but we will also announce a winner who won the most weekly contests (as he or she may be different from the person with the highest total score). Depending on the number of participants, we might announce more winners at the end of the contest series. The prizes will be BWL forum portraits from our Gallery and custom subtitles. The main winner (the person with the highest total score) will get the Gold Cross of Modding, but this has another prerequisite: he or she must have a valid submission (a working mod) for the 10th week contest, with at least 50% score. If no such partipicant exists, the Gold Cross of Modding won't be awarded to anyone.

I'm the organizer of the "Guess the scene" contest, but the judge won't be necessarily myself. The picture might be created by a different person each week (but this isn't necessary). Each week, the picture and the associated questions will be posted by the picture's creator in this topic (please do not post replies in that topic, only the person who publishes the drawings can add new content there; please use the present topic for discussion).

How to enter: you automatically enter the contest by sending a submission (please see below).

How to submit: Submissions are nothing else than answers to the questions of that week. Submissions should be sent in the form of a forum Private Message (PM) both to the person who posted the picture & questions and to me (Baronius). If the submission is only sent to the picture creator (judge) or only to me, it won't be accepted. (Hint: you can use the field "Carbon copy to other members" in the private message sending form to add additional recipients.) One participant can only send one submission, and within one day, he or she can send another submission to replace the first one. If there is a replacement, the first submission will be ignored, and the replacement will be judged. Replacements sent after one day will be ignored. Submissions sent after the deadline will not be judged.

Remember, it's "Guess the scene", so don't hesitate to guess! There are no minus points!

Any questions are welcome!

--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 29 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester
Tactical reputation: 4

Baronius I noticed you mentioned at SP that the first week's scene was from BG 1... have you actually mentioned that on this site too? I looked but could not find it. In the interest of fairness it may be a good idea to do so.

EDIT: Although, it is fairly obvious from looking at it...

This post has been edited by Raven: Jun 29 2008, 08:53 PM

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Jun 29 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #3

Retired team member

As long as it's been advertised on SP, how about doing so at GameBanshee and Ironworks Gaming?

--------------------
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb

"I like criticism, but it must be my way." - Mark Twain

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jun 30 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

Raven: you are right, I should have been more careful. I forgot that here we didn't mention it at all, and I think the origin of the drawings shouldn't be revealed anywhere in the future (to make the contest harder, as it's not really a difficult one anyway).

Carnifex: feel free to do so. I often visit Sorcerer's Place, but not the other sites.

--------------------

Quote Post
Klorox
post Jun 30 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

Awesome idea, I'm in!

--------------------
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Your ass will be laminated
-Dyslexia of Borg

Haikus are easy
But they don't always make sense
Refrigerator

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 1 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #6

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

smile.gif

We've received 4 submissions so far, they were quite good.

--------------------

Quote Post
dzidek1983
post Jul 1 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #7

Forum Member

that's a great idea.. i'm inn smile.gif

(my 1 post here)

Quote Post
Sir_Carnifex
post Jul 3 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #8

Retired team member

We're up to six entries now.

And a reminder... There are only three days to go, so spend a couple minutes and submit your calculated guesses (or well-researched answers tongue.gif) soon!!!

--------------------
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb

"I like criticism, but it must be my way." - Mark Twain

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

Quote Post
Jarno Mikkola
post Jul 3 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #9

Forum Member

Well, I suppose I should confess that I too, toke part on the contest. ph34r.gif

Quote Post
Silverstar
post Jul 4 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #10

Forum Member

I like this idea too! I have sent my answers.

See you guys around!

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 5 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #11

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

We've received 8 submissions so far. smile.gif

The contest of this week ends on 6th July 2008 24:00 GMT, which is tomorrow (from Europe, at least). So, not much time left! However, you can enter the contest at any time (any week), it doesn't matter if you haven't submitted anything previously. Of course, submissions can only apply to the active week's picture, not to earlier pictures (or to any future pictures -- if you are a Diviner or you know a Diviner, it won't help: the contest is fair to all classes).

Announcement of the results: we will post information about it later.

--------------------

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 5 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #12

Forum Member

I sent my submission at the moment that my browser crashed (a few moments ago).
I'm wondering whether it arrived because it's not in my sent folder and I wouldn't want to send it double.

PS: Nice idea fora contest.

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 5 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #13

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

Sure, it arrived. I should have publicly mentioned earlier that I always send a confirmation PM to all those who correctly send their submission (or replacement submission) to Sir Carnifex and myself. (Of course, if a participant just sends it to one place and forgets to send it to Sir Carnifex or myself, we will also try to contact him/her to ask for correction; no one will be silently disqualified).

By the way, if the same happens with someone else (i.e. the participant doesn't know if the submission has been successfully sent or not), the participant should feel free to send it again (and again, if needed), provided it contains exactly the same answers (and preferably a note that the previous PM might have not arrived).

--------------------

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 6 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #14

Forum Member

Thank you.

Next time I'll make certain to tick the "save message to sent folder". I guess I forgot... glare.gif

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 6 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

The results of the first week will be announced real-time on the chat server of the Black Wyrm's Lair on 7th July 2008, 20:00 (8:00 PM) GMT (you can see this page for GMT and difference with your timezone). You can use a chat client (such as mIRC) to join, or if you don't have such a program, feel free to use BlackWyrm's JavaChat. If you aren't registered on our IRC, don't type any password (registration isn't required, it's just for regular users or anyone who would like to protect his or her nickname). Answer "Yes" to any security questions (such as "Trust content from this source?"), the program uses the Applet technology, which is secure and cannot harm your computer. If you aren't using our JavaChat, you will need the server's address: irc.blackwyrmlair.net, port 6667.

Of course, the results will be available on the forum as well, they will be posted about a day later (8th July).

The picture for the next week of the contest should become available on 9th July 2008.

--------------------

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 8 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #16

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

Results are now available on the forum as well!

Please check the relevant topic. As usual, please use this one for discussion (for example, about contest questions and answers). smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Moongaze
post Jul 8 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #17

Forum Member

Cool, second place by a bonus point. I didn't expect that. Was my answer really so much more detailed? blink.gif
As for the 4th question... Now that it's mentioned, I do see the guardhouse is missing, and the lack of shadows, but eh... happy.gif Better luck next time.

--------------------
-Transition into darkness-

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jul 8 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #18

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

Needless to say that such not too easy questions will occur in the next weeks as well (otherwise everyone could get maximum score).

Your answer to Q2 mentioned "reading the documents", which is apparently a minor detail, however, Chapter 3 is triggered by opening the chest (and taking those documents). So this was a "modder" answer, hence the bonus point. smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
dzidek1983
post Jul 8 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #19

Forum Member

Nice.. i didn't expect to be so high smile.gif

shadows.. pfff.... rolleyes.gif

Quote Post
lroumen
post Jul 8 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #20

Forum Member

D'oh... it was Nimbul after all.

I must note that Nimbul spawns in front of the Inn, rather than on the bridge, so that is another flaw in the picture.

That was exactly my reasoning for answering the person with Bardolan, who does approach from the bridge. I guess that as a result of that decision I got the next few questions wrong as well, because I thought the appearance of Bardolan was wrong.

I did notice that some houses were missing, but from perspective I found it reasonable to assume that those fell away to the left of the other houses. I guess I didn't think through there... the guard house should indeed be visible. I also didn't think about the shades in the picture.... next time I'll be a lot more thorough before answering.

Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2024 - 01:41 AM