Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New policy for the Community Prefix List, We need your feedback
Baronius
post Aug 31 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

We had a discussion about the Prefix List with SConrad. He assured BWL that their intention isn't to boycott the Prefix Reservations list, and he offered a suggestion.

There are several registered prefixes which have never used to release any Infinity Engine game mod. Many prefix owners haven't informed the community that they have a mod under development. On the other hand, sometimes mod developers return to the community to release a mod for the public, which development they started earlier with a registered prefix.

It also seems to be true that many mod developers like to choose prefixes that they favour for some reason (monogram, initial mod name abbreviation etc.). I'm not really convinced that this should be an important aspect (as the problem is purely technical: identifiers, filenames shouldn't collide), but I have no right to decide this (neither the BWL Council or any department of BWL). If you believe it's an important aspect (or the opposite), please do post your opinion in this topic.

The Prefix List originally supported prefixes of any length, but since this easily leads to collisions, BWL decided to fix the length of 2 characters. I don't think this needs to be changed (especially because there are already very many two-character long registrations). On the other hand, due to the high number of prefixes (which include many apparently abandoned registrations), it's not easy for those to choose a prefix who want some typical, favoured prefix (monogram etc.) -- many variations are already registered by others, and often abandoned. To improve the situation, the best way would be to estabilish a new policy for registrations.

The new policy would assign a time limit for each registered prefix, and if no mod is released with that prefix for the specified time limit, the prefix would be moved to second list, and its place would be freed on the primary list. This means that it becomes available again for others' to register, and if someone registers it, the original owner would lose it. If no one registers it before the original owner returns, the original owner can re-register it (i.e. extend the time limit, but the added time limit would be much shorter than the base limit for prefixes). The number of such time limit extensions for prefixes which aren't used in any released mod could also be limited (for example, after all extensions are used, the prefix would remain in the second list and could be registered by anyone, and if it's not registered by anyone else and the original owner would release a mod with it, then it would return to its original owner; but these details require more examination than what I've done here).

If a mod is released with a registered prefix, it would be reasonable to allow the prefix to be valid for an unlimited time. On the other hand, it's important to deal with the situation when a single project with a prefix is released, the author leaves the community and there are no releases for years -- while the prefix is taken. In such an extreme case, I think it's enough to free the prefix for the public again, and simply designate the original (and old) project as incompatible with those mods who use the re-registered prefix (but "designation" probably wouldn't be the duty of the Prefix List maintainers).

I also have an idea about a restriction for registrations: a mod developer who registers a prefix will have to specify an Infinity Engine game where he or she intends to use the prefix. However, I am not convinced that this is necessary -- it might make things more complex, while wouldn't offer much additional advantage (most mods are for BG2 and BGTutu/EasyTutu anyway).

Assuming that the majority will support the initiative detailed above, it's important to emphasize that this requires technical changes on the management system of the Community Prefix List. As far as the implemenation changes are concerned, neither the Department of Graphics nor the Department of Mod Development of BWL has any free capacity (i.e. member who would volunteer) to my knowledge. I also don't have the time, however, someone will have to do it, if the initiative gets approved and accepted in this topic. If it's accepted, I will try to contact drake127, the developer of the current system, and ask him to extend the system. I suspect that the database scheme will have to be modified too.

Please note that the above descriptions (about new policies) are just based on quick ideas I had while writing this post, so feel free to suggest different or modified versions for them.

If you believe you have anything constructive to say (or you have any questions), please don't hesitate to send a reply to this topic!

I said to SConrad that this matter requires public discussion, and (more importantly) public approval. BWL has always taken the fact into consideration that not all mod developers (who may release public mods) are active in the message boards of the community, so the approving feedback of active forum members should not be considered as authoritative in all cases, but in this case, I think it is. The Community Prefix List has been estabilished and maintained by active IE mod developers (active in the respect of community forums as well), so making a common decision here is justified in my opinion.

--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Baronius   New policy for the Community Prefix List   Aug 31 2008, 01:09 PM
Ardanis   Approval is given :)   Aug 31 2008, 02:03 PM
kulyok   Prefixes ensure compatibility. I am pro-protected ...   Aug 31 2008, 03:21 PM
SConrad   I think a lot of people are taking this the wrong ...   Sep 1 2008, 06:52 AM
kulyok   (Bottom line: no changes.)   Aug 31 2008, 03:22 PM
Daulmakan   I agree with Kulyok wholeheartedly. Changing prefi...   Aug 31 2008, 03:54 PM
Ardanis   I sincerely believe the "single project...   Aug 31 2008, 04:21 PM
Baronius   The point of SConrad (and the central point of my ...   Aug 31 2008, 04:32 PM
igi   The total number of registred prefixes is barely 1...   Aug 31 2008, 04:47 PM
Baronius   I knew I would forgot to include this in the initi...   Aug 31 2008, 04:53 PM
igi   It is mentionned in the first post. Regardless, ...   Aug 31 2008, 04:56 PM
The Bigg   Why not base this on work being done rather than o...   Aug 31 2008, 05:21 PM
plainab   What kind of time frame are you talking about befo...   Aug 31 2008, 05:43 PM
The Bigg   What kind of time frame are you talking about befo...   Aug 31 2008, 07:09 PM
kulyok   This could work as a mild alternative(if you reall...   Aug 31 2008, 05:53 PM
kulyok   And, hey, plainab was faster. :)   Aug 31 2008, 05:54 PM
Ardanis   Seems like I've noticed only bold part of the ...   Aug 31 2008, 06:00 PM
Sir_Carnifex   Personally, I think that the way things are done a...   Aug 31 2008, 07:05 PM
jastey   What Kulyok said. The Bigg: A working Alpha after...   Aug 31 2008, 07:27 PM
The Bigg   The Bigg: A working Alpha after two month? Sorry, ...   Sep 1 2008, 08:40 AM
aVENGER   I too agree with Kulyok and plainab's statemen...   Aug 31 2008, 08:07 PM
Sir_Carnifex   Keeping everything AS IS would result in the least...   Aug 31 2008, 09:13 PM
DavidW   I don't feel very strongly about this, but her...   Aug 31 2008, 11:34 PM
magrat   I recently registered a prefix with the list and i...   Sep 1 2008, 08:20 AM
Jarno Mikkola   Hmm, has everybody seen the suggestion of change? ...   Sep 1 2008, 12:06 PM
jastey   Just to throw in something: There are people who r...   Sep 2 2008, 12:58 PM
Sir_Carnifex   Just to throw in something: There are people who r...   Sep 2 2008, 05:14 PM
markmid   This is a tough call, especially as i just changed...   Sep 2 2008, 05:47 PM
Sir_Carnifex   The only problem becomes, how do you track when so...   Sep 2 2008, 06:05 PM
markmid   Apologies if anyone has suggested in another threa...   Sep 3 2008, 09:00 PM
Sir_Carnifex   Apologies if anyone has suggested in another threa...   Sep 4 2008, 01:22 AM
Ardanis   I'm unsure if i understood your idea the right...   Sep 3 2008, 09:52 PM
DavidW   I'm unsure if i understood your idea the right...   Sep 3 2008, 11:07 PM
Ardanis   For a computer mostly. I think for a human it migh...   Sep 3 2008, 11:47 PM
markmid   I'm unsure if i understood your idea the right...   Sep 4 2008, 10:05 AM
Domi   Please, no changes. There are tons of 2 symbol com...   Sep 4 2008, 03:32 PM
Sir-Kill   is this still under discussion? if so, I'd hav...   Sep 7 2008, 04:46 PM
Sir_Carnifex   is this still under discussion? Continue to conver...   Sep 7 2008, 07:49 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 03:34 PM