Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ioun Stones
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Studio of Arts > The WoRmHole
SimDing0
A few thoughts on the ioun stone animations.

1) The height at which the animation floats is optimized for taller characters, which means it floats too high above the heads of dwarves, gnomes and halflings. Similarly, it'll be in the wrong place for polymorphed characters. I ran into the same problem. Racial height differences can be addressed with EFFs, obviously, but the polymorph issue's more awkward, I suspect.
2) The yellowish animation for the golden stone leaves rather a distinct trail. It could possibly do with a little more transparency or translucency. (This actually applies to most of the trails, I think, but this one most specifically.)
3) I've noticed the animation disappearing on occasion, but I can't recreate it or pin down what causes it. Will report back if I find out.
4) Any chance of a WeiDU version and mod support? I'd like to remove the ioun stone component from my mod, because yours are way better, but I can't do that until there's a WeiDU package. I'm willing to code it up if you're interested, along with support for ioun stones added by mods, and I can either replace the component in my mod or give you a standalone package to host here. (Or both.)
Galactygon

Racial height differences can be addressed with EFFs, obviously, but the polymorph issue's more awkward, I suspect.

According to the Polymorph spell description, equipment melds into the new form of the caster, so there shouldn't be any animation playing when polymorphed.

2) The yellowish animation for the golden stone leaves rather a distinct trail. It could possibly do with a little more transparency or translucency. (This actually applies to most of the trails, I think, but this one most specifically.)

There is a good frame-by-frame method I have found in Photoshop that can do what you asked; it could turn quite tedius if you have a lot of frames.

You simply copy the first frame to the clipboard, and paste it twice in a photoshop file right on top of each other. Now you have 2 layers of the same image right on top of each other (in addition to a background layer). Then, change the blend mode of the top image to "multiply". It should make all the areas darker, except for the bright areas (I haven't uncovered what non-linear formula is used to achieve those effects yet). After that, you merge all of your layers together (or press Ctr + E multiple times).

Apply this method to all of the frames, and when you are done, use BAM workshop II to open the original file and convert the animation to "unpalletted" so you could paste your frames into the sequence without them changing into different colours. Then convert the BAM back to "palletted", and save it. Since the transparent colour is also changed in photoshop, will have to open BAM workshop to manually fill in the transparent colours.

-Galactygon
Sir-Kill
I haven't uncovered what non-linear formula is used to achieve those effects yet)

look into scripting: Recording a script will record all of your actions you aplied to that image -> save your script, then undo the the changes made to that image. take all of the files that you want changed and run your script on them. It is a good idea to make a dry run through before recording.

Since the transparent colour is also changed in photoshop

I have in psp the right color even in 256 color (151,151,0 something like that) after exporting your image/frame to a bmp open it up but make sure that PH or psp does not convert it to 16M color save the blue-green as a swatch that should take care of the saturation or hue change that takes place. this may not work but I think that is how I did it.
T.G.Maestro
I think you missed the Obsidian Ioun Stone - I haven't seen any animations for that one.
Otherwsie, they look great.
T.G.Maestro
Ignore my last post, the animation is there.
Bazuttu
QUOTE(SimDing0 @ Jun 23 2005, 02:08 PM)
A few thoughts on the ioun stone animations.

1) The height at which the animation floats is optimized for taller characters, which means it floats too high above the heads of dwarves, gnomes and halflings. Similarly, it'll be in the wrong place for polymorphed characters. I ran into the same problem. Racial height differences can be addressed with EFFs, obviously, but the polymorph issue's more awkward, I suspect.
3) I've noticed the animation disappearing on occasion, but I can't recreate it or pin down what causes it. Will report back if I find out.
4) Any chance of a WeiDU version and mod support? I'd like to remove the ioun stone component from my mod, because yours are way better, but I can't do that until there's a WeiDU package. I'm willing to code it up if you're interested, along with support for ioun stones added by mods, and I can either replace the component in my mod or give you a standalone package to host here. (Or both.)

Aggred if you're polymorphed or you're animation dosen't fit what the item should look like then it just shouldn't be displayed... At least thats what I think, I've ran into some problems with this. .BAM's crashing the game becuase the animation is incomplete or corrupt...
WoRm
Anytime anyone wants to weidu anything here,PLEASE DO... biggrin.gif
I just don't know how (i know...for shame)

you know I never play anything really but human,or elf/half-elf so I never noticed the problems with the height difference...I will see if there is a better way...no promises though. huh.gif

@Bazuttu:
[QUOTE] (BAM's crashing the game becuase the animation is incomplete or corrupt... )

are my BAMs crashing your game or are you talking in general some BAMS crash your game?
T.G.Maestro
I never play anything really but human,or elf/half-elf so I never noticed the problems with the height difference...I will see if there is a better way...no promises though

I don't think it is possible to dynamically position the bam to creatures of different heights - you can set it's position through a VVC, and thats it. Although it might be possible to create different VVCs for the smaller races, and apply it to them by script.
Sir BillyBob
Would it be possible to get some additional BAMs with other colors? I have several new ioun stones that use non-default colors and would like to have someone make more colors for these stones. I need pink and green immediately. Actually, I have a stone that swirls both colors but that may be way too difficult. So I was actually thinking of doing one color for the top animation and the other color for the bottom animation. It may not work the way I planned but it is something to attempt.

Anyway, if you aren't doing requests or not supporting this anymore, can I have someone else make them for me using your BAMs as reference?
Sir-Kill
WoRm has not been seen from for a couple of years so I doubt you will get any new colors.

I do not think it would be a problem having someone edit the existing bams (use as ref.) especially if you posted the new bam files here so that others can use them too.
leahnkain
I just tried emailing WoRm, the mail bounced back. I guess he is gone. I am unsure if SirBillyBob or I can change the colors without someones help. We need a pink/green mixed colored stone. I am sure SirBillyBob won't mind sharing the stone with everyone.
Sir BillyBob
Not at all. Actually, I would like to see this grow for others to use as well. One note over on Pocket Plane did mention that the animation doesn't work with small creatures. I haven't tested it yet. If so, I guess more work needs to be done besides adding colors.
Sir-Kill
read that too, can one script in the bams coordinates according to race?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.